swollen labia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

swollen labia

This past Saturday I was horrified to awaken to a swollen left labia minora as HUGE as a 'small penis'.  PAIN like I can't even describe.  Could not sit, stand, or even walk without horrible pain.   I have given birth (the natural way), had several nasty surgeries etc....yet this was worse.   I am 58 years old, worked in medical field and NEVER have I heard of this situation!     I was so embarassed when I finally had to ask my man (of16 years) to please help me.  My man is fighting prostate cancer.   He loves me.  I love him.  I cherish each day we have together.

I tried every remedy for pain and swelling that I could think of.  Ice, compresses, a fan aimed directly at my 'area'.  NOTHING worked.  However, I did, in desparation apply (would you believe?) ORA-GEL! (yes, TOOTHACHE  medicine).
When it did finally help a VERY small bit, I eased myself onto a flat ice compress.
About 15 minutes later, I suddenly started feeling like I has peed myself.  FLUID was EVERYWHERE!  Reminded of me when my water broke when I was going into labor with my children.  Yes, there was that much!  Couch was soaked.  What a mess to clean up.   My man came to me and helped clean me up.   He is such a blessing.

OMG!   SWEET RELIEF!!!!!!   It has been 3 days and there is very small amout of fluid still draining.  Labia is almost back to normal.    The 'flood of fluid' was incredible.   Such relief has really no description.
I took enough pain meds to subdue a very large animal.....no relief.   But the ORA-GEL, enabled me to sit somewhat properly.   At least enough to get enough pressure on the area for the fluid to burst and drain.  
  I am still amazed that this is the 1 subject that women are still too ashamed and embarassed to talk about.  Even  with my medical background, I can't think of a single case.   After my research on the 'net', I now know that there are MANY of us who just do not know what to do.....I thank God that I have a man that can assure me that I am NOT a freak or think that I was with anyone else.    
  Thank you everyone for listening.   I am brand new to this site...If I can help anyone in anyway...please post.