used the sponge and now bleeding between periods
Per Dr. I am unable to use the pill or any horomone types of contraception. My Boyfriend and I have been monogamous for 7 years. We tried the Today Sponge on June 16th as an alternative contraception. I waited the 6 hours to remove it as the box instructed. When I removed it there was a slight amount (maybe 2 drops) of blood (brown) on it. Afew hours later I experienced a little cramping. Strong but did not last but a minute or two. The rest of the day went fine. This morning (approx 36 hours after use) I am very lightly bleeding (but a little more than spotting) and it's brown. My period isn't due for approx 2 weeks. I have never spotted between periods before. for the last two years my periods have been regular to the day. Is this a common after effect of the sponge, is my body just cleansing the spermicide out, or should I be really concerned and get to a hospital? Thank you in advance for any help.
Well, it doesn't sound like a hospital-quality emergency, but I would call my doctor and explain what is going on.  It could very well be a reaction to the spermicide, but he is the one to tell you.  There also should be a toll-free number on the box of sponges, you might also call them and ask if this is a known side effect.  Good luck!
Certainly there is no reason to go to a hospital.  Might be just that your cervix was a bit irritated from the sponge, or simply just a bit of mid cycle bleeding.  Even if it has never happened before, there's always a first time.

If it continues to be a problem, see your doctor.