Women's Health Community
used the sponge and now bleeding between periods
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

used the sponge and now bleeding between periods

Per Dr. I am unable to use the pill or any horomone types of contraception. My Boyfriend and I have been monogamous for 7 years. We tried the Today Sponge on June 16th as an alternative contraception. I waited the 6 hours to remove it as the box instructed. When I removed it there was a slight amount (maybe 2 drops) of blood (brown) on it. Afew hours later I experienced a little cramping. Strong but did not last but a minute or two. The rest of the day went fine. This morning (approx 36 hours after use) I am very lightly bleeding (but a little more than spotting) and it's brown. My period isn't due for approx 2 weeks. I have never spotted between periods before. for the last two years my periods have been regular to the day. Is this a common after effect of the sponge, is my body just cleansing the spermicide out, or should I be really concerned and get to a hospital? Thank you in advance for any help.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Well, it doesn't sound like a hospital-quality emergency, but I would call my doctor and explain what is going on.  It could very well be a reaction to the spermicide, but he is the one to tell you.  There also should be a toll-free number on the box of sponges, you might also call them and ask if this is a known side effect.  Good luck!
Blank
Certainly there is no reason to go to a hospital.  Might be just that your cervix was a bit irritated from the sponge, or simply just a bit of mid cycle bleeding.  Even if it has never happened before, there's always a first time.

If it continues to be a problem, see your doctor.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Women's Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...