uterine fibroid complications
I recently had my yearly OB-GYN exam and was surprised to find out my uterine fibroid had grown to 3.8cm. Is this considered small or medium for a fibroid? It seems like it has grown quickly over the last year. My doctor is recommending a hysterectomy (with removal of my ovaries) because I have been having pelvic pain, back pain that radiates into my thigh and down my leg, heavy menstrual periods and spotting between periods. She is not saying it is an emergency and I need to have it done now, just that she feels my symptoms will continue to get worse. I am 46 and done with having children, so that is not an issue. My question is, can something that size really cause all of the problems I have been having? I am concerned about getting ovarian cancer and I know it has some of the same symptoms as a uterine fibroid. She did a vaginal ultrasound to diagnose the fibroid(about the 3rd one I have had in 1 1/2 yrs) and said everything else looked fine. I have been told that symptoms also depend on the location of the fibroid. I don't know exactly where mine is located. Just wanted to get another perspective on this. Thanks for the help.
I hope every thing went O.K for you on your surgery.My moma had fibriod tumors in her uterus.She had a emergency hysterectomy in 1987.I had a hysterectomy last year.I had endometeriosis.My uterus was 2 times it's normal size.I really hope you are feeling better.I'm sorry no body answered you before now.I just joined on June 8,2005.I saw your question and wanted to reply.In reply to your question:Yes it was important to have a hysterectomy.First of all fibroid tumors after they get so get big you bleed all the time.Second of all it was best to fix the problem before it got worst.Good Luck In The Future.
I am 35 years old, have two children, but my husband wants a third (he is almost 40).  I had a 4 cm uterine submucosal fibroid.  My fourth doctor tried to remove through the cervix (hysteroscopy myomectomy), but was only able to remove 75% of fibroid -- last year.  It has regrown to 4 cm.  My fifth doctor wants to do a laproscopy hysterectomy.  He says the fibroid is too low next to bladder to try for a abdominal myomectomy.  My husband does not want me to have a hysterectomy.  What should I do?
Dear,Mzpizz your life is at stake,you and your husband have all ready been blessed two times with two children.Your health comes first,getting pregnant a third time really wouldn't be a good idea.First of all you need to talk to your "gynecologist."I had a hysterectomy last year in March.I'm I glad I did,I wouldn't be writing you if i hadn't of.Do you see how important they can be.Make an appointment and take care of your self.TNT406.
I had 34 fibroids removed, one was larger than a grapfruit, my uterus was the size of a 4-5 month pregnacy. An experince dr in Manhattan performed the myomectomy (he performs at least 3 myomectomy's per week). I was told I needed a hysterectomy by 3 dr's, all from the same practice. I was also told I had cancer. I'm doing fine now. After searching for information on the web, I found out that the dep't of health recommends you get a second opinion before having a hysterectomy, (from a dr in a different practice, & hospital). If it's not cancer why remove the uterus, I also read gov't statistics, which state that dr's in the U.S. perform more hysterectomy's than any other country in the world. Why does such an advanced country choose to treat a disorder like fibroids in such a primitive way. There are many ways to treat fibroids, uterine artery embolization, myomectomy, medication.  Find a good dr that has the expertise & allows you to choose, FIBROIDS ARE NOT LIFE THREATENING, rarely are they cancerous. Good luck!!