Women's Health Community
vaginal discomfort
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

vaginal discomfort

I've had many vaginitis episodes since I started menopause 2 years ago.  However in late February I had another episode of E. coli vaginitis. After a bout of augmentin the symptoms of burning and irritation remained. The Gyn. switched me to cravit and did a culture which showed no more bacteria.  The burning, irritation and vaginal discomfort remained.  They gave all kinds of ointments and nothing helped.  Finally I told the doctor that I started "indoor cyling" since December and whether they could be causing my symptoms.  The doctor did not know.  I finally went through another gynecologist who said I was fine ( normal pap smear and pelvic ultrasound). I googled "vaginal discomfort from bicycling" and something called "pudendal neuralgia" came up.  I seemed to have all the symptoms of this ailment.  From that point on I suffered so much anxiety that my vagina was burning all the time.  I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep and I lost weight.  I got so fixated on this "pudendal neuralgia" thing that I was having anxiety attacks all the time.  My family doctor finally sent me to a "pelvic floor disorder" expert and she reassured me I didn't have PN. I was still not convinced so I went to see an urologist who also I didn't have this disorder.  But my vagina was still burning and irritated and sometimes I felt like there was something inside knifing me.  The family doctor finally sent me to see a psychiatrist who prescribed me "lyrica" to help with my  anxiety.  After 2 days of that I felt worse because of the massive side effects.  I ditched both my family doctor and psychiatrist and finally found a good reliable internist who said I have "atrophic vaginitis".  She prescribed me vagifem pessary.  After 4 days of this I still have irritation, pin and needles feeling inside my vagina.  Sometimes when I sit that area gets more irritated.

My question is can I be suffering from atrophic vaginitis which can cause such awful symptoms: burning, irritation, itching needle poking sensation and an overall sensation like I am constant having a pelvic exam done.  This pain is 7/24. Sometimes its better and other times when I am anxious I am in AGONY!!  I am just hoping that these doctors did not miss something.  

Thank you.
jiou
I am just worried