vaginal itching, burning, swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

vaginal itching, burning, swelling

I have had a vaginal itching problem for a long time now.  It itches and then I scratch creating a burning feeling as if I had cuts- and swelling.  I used a vaginal cream for an infection for a week, and it seemed better, but it just comes back again.  Sometimes it doesn't bother me too much, and other times it's more severe.  I don't understand how I can have an infection all the time. I have even started using those body bath soaps that are specifically created for that sensitive area, but I still have  the problem.  
Itching around vagina can be due to a number of causes. First of all it can be due to allergic reaction or contact dermatitis to your undergarments, sanitary napkins or tampons, soaps etc.There is no change in the colour or smell of discharge in this case.

Secondly, It can be due to vaginal infections or STD’s like Chlamydia or thrush for which you need to consult a doctor.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Well I know it is not a vaginal infection like an std or anything else like that so it is probably an allergic reaction to something. I think I am too sensitive in that area, although I didn't use to be. Thank you for the reply.
I would try unscented soap it could help narrow down exactly what's going on and maybe it's a yeast infection and the cream that you are using is becoming less effective and you need to see a doctor for sure.