vaginal itching and soreness, possibly herpes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

After having unprotected sex around mid-March I had a LOT of itching in my outer vaginal area. Not in the pubic region but mostly around the lips and vaginal opening, very very annoying and extreme itching which gave me the urge to scratch even though that probably aggravated my problem. I had some redness and a lot of areas where it looked like my skin was cracked and really sensitive, with a lot of little red dots, I don't know if this is what was causing the itching or if that was the result of my scratching

I went to have a pap smear and get tested for STDs in April and the doctor said it didn't look like i had anything from just the visual examination, she told me that I didn't have a yeast infection nor did I have any kind of bacterial infection. The STD tests all came back negative but later I came to find out that the test didn't include herpes...which is really ridiculous... But my question is if that much terrible itching is a typical symptom of herpes? I havent had any strange discharge or the "classic sores" that I've seen pictures of online, I have had muscle and headaches but I don't know if that is just from me stressing myself out about this.

The itching and soreness lasts for about 2-3 days and then subsides completely, then a week or so later it'll happen again. Any ideas of what this could be?
actually, i'm replying to this to bump this up a bit, to see if anyone can help. I too have these same kind of symptoms, i've had thrush practically all my life give or take a few breaks in months, embarassment held me back from the doc having a look down there instead i opted for just the tablets.  Now at 23 i recently had sex for the first time, and my partner was also a virgin at the time.  I knew that it was goin to be sore the first time and so used lubricant. We don't used condoms anymore for protection and strangely some type of sticky liquid which covered his penis was coloured a little with a tinge of blood, a substance from deep in my body.  After a little time having sex i would notice it starts to burn and it gets uncomfortable (not because of lack of lubricant btw) and my partner can sometimes notice the burning.  Now its been a while since we made love and my vaginal area is more itchy than usual-intensely uncomfortable itching where i end up scratching til it hurts, then only something cold on the area will soothe it.  Now i took a mirror to inspect and noticed it looked a little red and swollen, i also noticed, not much discharge, but my underwear was uncommonly wet from when i scratched.after drying the area i held the mirror to look but the skin area started to glisten within minutes (not discharge from any opening) as if coming from the skin.  The area round my clitoris is quite sharply painful and feels tight.  I need to wait until after the bank holidays before seeing the doctor-but before i stress too much.....what does this seem like (and i can't imagine it being a STD....we were both virgins-he comes from a christian family, and i, an old fashioned good girl!)
omg please help me, i'm only 13, and there has been yellow liquid coming down from my vagina, this is embarassing but, it itches ALOT, i mean it hurts when i scratch and when i wipe myself i feel like screaming, please elp i need it! i'm scared and afraid to tell my mom because she always teases me and makes me feel bad please HELP!
Well I don't think your mom would tease you about something serious. But if you still think you can't talk to her I would go to a planned parenting or a free health clinic to get tested for stds. If there is a yellowish liquid it could be an std normally it would be clear or a little whitish depending how close to your period all I can say to all of you is wrap it up you never know someone could say they are a virgin and be lying even if they do come from a good christian family. Be safe its your body.