vaginal opening too small???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

vaginal opening too small???

Hi all, I'm a bit embarrassed but I'm 25 and am having problems inserting a tampon. I've always used sanitary towels, i've never had a problem with them and my mum always used them so i never tried to use tampons. I went for my routine smear and the nurse couldn't get the speculum in, it just didn't feel right iot was like she was pushing into a hole that didn't exist and it was really painful so now have to make an appointment with my GP. Please don't make fun of me but i am a virgin so i thought maybe it was just that it was a foreign sensation which caused me to tense up which is why she couldn't get the speculum so i thought i would try to use tampons to get used to the sensation. After trying unsuccessfully for a couple of days and on advice from friends I used a mirror and I can see where the hole is but there is no way a tampon is going in as it is very small maybe pinky finger sized and after a few attempts was virtually non existence. This is really difficult for me so please constructive advice only as I am now stressed thinking it is some kind of deformity or disease like cervical cancer and am really worried.
Are you using plastic applicators or cardboard? For sure use plastic, they will glide in easier. You could try putting a small amount of lube on the applicator to try and ease it in. Most important, make sure you are relaxing, if you are tense your muscles will also tense up making it VERY difficult to get the tampon in.
Don't worry!  I had the same thing happen.  I was a virgin before I was married.  I never used tampons for the same reasons as you.  I went in for my first pap and had the same problem.  I ended up having to have my hymen clipped.  It is a quick procedure and nothing to worry about.