vaginal smell after sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-298 comments:
Hello, Wow there is a lot to read here.  Short version, been dealing with the stinky after sex for about 4 years now, after being married for 11 years.  I've controlled it pretty well by using a nice easy squeeze (lol) hair color bottle that looks kind of like a douche bottle, filled with just warm water, i am prone to infections so no soaps, they are bad for you and can make it smell even worse. but i use any plain antibacterial soap when i shower. so I was skeptical about the peroxide especially because it doesn't smell to good by itself. but i do know that peroxide does help ph levels and the ph balance issue makes sense.  I used a 2 to 1 ratio water and peroxide.  smell was gone immediately. i can't believe it.  I hope it works. I have lost a lot of my desire to even want sex because it's such a hassle to have to get up and wash myself out after wards. and if i didn't get every crevice cleaned good enough it was all a waste of time.  I am looking forward to getting my sexual desire back...........  
I have the same isssue. I have unprotected sex with my fiancee everyday because we have been trying to get pregnant, but soon after he cums inside me i never smell it but if i go to bed without showering(remember im trying to get pregnant) then the next day it smells really bad, I douche all the time and it smells great after that but, i want to get prego but i also cant stand the smell to where i have to wash. I want to get prego but the smell to me is not worth it, even if he doesnt mind the smell.
I can't believe that there are others who is going through the same thing as myself. I have an horrible odor after sex with my husband and it lingers for days.  When it first started happening a few years ago, it was, infrequent.  Then it started happening more frequent after sex.  The odor sometime would be so "loud" and offensive I would hate to be around people.  Douching didn't help, only covered up the smell for a day maybe.  Now I use RePhresh and over the counter product to balance out the PH in women vaginas.  I've read some other great tips on here and will try to restore my PH balance naturally.
The vaginal odor after sex will not go away with a shower.  I found it would only leave by having LONG baths soaking in the tub. Feel like a pune after, but the smell is gone until my husband gets frisky again.
i am young and i have been sexually active for a short while. i have had only 2 partners. i noticed that the day after my current partner and i engage in sexual intercourse i have an odor that last a while. its quite embarrassing and it bothers him as well. what is this smell? and how can i get rid of it? its beginning to effect my sex life.
Been doing some research...
I have noticed that many responders with this complaint are not even sexually active, whilst the predominant "jump to conclusion" tendency seems to be to explain it away that vaginal odour stems from, or follows, vaginal intercourse with ejaculation.

So I looked up some stuff. The pH of vaginal secretions should average about 4.0, which is on the acidic side of 7.0 on a 0 - 14 scale. Male semen seems to be on the alkaline side at an average of about 7.5, which would seem to suggest a neutralising effect. What that really means is that Ali doesn't have a clue what that means, but I did an experiment and did a smell test recently prior to, during, and after intimacy. You know what? I did notice the stronger smell a day or two following the event (don't tell my hubs I called it that, please!!!), but the parts of the smell that were stronger were more like MY odours than his. Microbes? I don't know, but I

a) never douche anymore. b) am post menopausal with no children, and c) my hubs has had a vasectomy.

I am hyper-sensitive to smell, so I consider me-self a sorta expert on this issue. Infectious odours tend to be "off" smells, like the classic "fishy", but strong body odours can be, in a sense, normal. Let doc & lab have a go at it, but if you still don't like it after being pronounced good, hale & healthy, I would only ask you to not be so hard on yourself. Make sure, but maybe its okay.
p.s  we almost always, when we are aroused, exude a sexual smell for many good reasons. so female smells are almost always assured during lovemaking to some extent, and of course afterwards. It is really a good thing. If healthy. Gotta get a good man & a good doc. Okay a g
I have the same problem, just had a baby 5 months ago and when I went for my postpartum and told my dr of the smells adn discharge that said it was bv, and I had no idea what this was as i have never had it before because I have been with the same person for years and it makes me embarrassed to have sex with him because of it, once while we were having sex i started to smell myself and got up and went into the bathroom and he came in a couple of seconds later and hoped into the shower and the first thing he washed was his penis. I just want this crap to go away. freaking hate this ****
OMG!!!! Thank you for this forum....................I am 45 and have never had this issue before!!!!! I have been freeking out for two weeks!!!!!! After living in hell for 2 years with breast cancer and autoimmune issues, and being single/alone for most of it, I finally found an amazing man, and have become sexually active once again.............................only to have the end result......the smell..............I see my doctor weekly, for other issues, and mentioned it to him back then........he suggested a yeast infection, which I've never had.......so I took a round of oral meds that he suggested......only to have been active several times this week and once again................the odor.  I did read about the ph info, and will try that. I am so glad I'm not alone in this!!!!!! Also good to know that a compromised immune system has a role in this too.................UGHHHHHH, wish me luck.........I'm happy as a clam being sexually active again, but sooooooooooo don't want to smell like one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rofl
Lets Break it down. The sperm which is in both male and Female is a living organism. Thus it is alive!! It only has a small window of life, Thus it Dies, Weather it is in your body or out. It Dies. When it dies it is flushed out of the body through urination or bile movement. This smell is a fishy smell. Because the sperm is mix with your urine and other body waste. If you notice a high concentrated smell, You need to drink some Viniger and water(organic) to help clean out your system. This will in return make you a much healthier individual. The sperm has to die sometimes as your body continues to make more of it by the minute. So don't worry. Just just some Viniger and water or cranberry juice better both!! and lets flush that dying stuff out of your body. The smell is death or dead sperm. Your body is programed to rid all waste.. So if you have sex the sperm which is released that does not get ejaculated out will die... That is the smell you are asking about...
I have suffered from this problem for a few years now. I can gladly say that I do not have this problem anymore and yes I am still with the same guy. I did some research on this condition. It is caused from a lack of vitamin D. You may be getting enough vitamin D but your body is not able to process it correctly. Therefore if you are getting enough vitamin D then supplement it with Magnesium because the two vitamins work together. This cured my problem overnight and I feel like a new woman. I do not get enough vitamin D so I take a vitamin D supplement and 350g of Magnesium a day. Hopefully, this will cure the problem for you too. Best of luck!
Okay,

Here's where I'm at with this issue. I really don't want to offend any of you who thrive on the holistic, natural, vitamin side of life. Fact is, in the absence of patholological issues (mainly infections, STD's (never had one, Thankx very much!!), and other major problems with my body, I have come to terms with the FACT, that my female bottom smells. More than I would wish her to; enough that husband enjoys it during intimacy, and sufficiently 'smelly' that this has bothered me my entire adult life. Yet...

Sanitising the human body is both unnecessary and (in my opinion) wrong. Understanding one's conditions (normal vs. changes), however, is both necessary and RIGHT, so go fer' it!.

I have been self-examining my vulva for about a decade now, and I have learned what works for me, and when I need medical pro help. It's really easy.You don't need any equipment. I just use a mirror and a light, and I jot down my observations, questions, and concerns in a journal, which I bring to my gynaecologist annually. She is very bright, and she fills in the gaps in my knowledge base, so if your doc is not that communicative, then get another one. Its worth the hassle. You know what? You are a consumer of their expertise, not a victim of insurance!!! Make them satisfy the consumer - which is YOU.

Once you get a clean bill of health, then that is your baseline. Don't worry about your preconceptions of what you find out. Try to learn to live with it. You will be healthier and happier if you do not succumb to the lurer and temptations of the "get rid of your smell" companies.

Sorry to rant, but this is MY issue.

Ta,
Ali
Calm down.  Little did I know that the penis was a gateway for infection and the vaginal canal a pool of "flora" - good and bad.  I have never tested positive for any STIs and I have had a battery of tests recently.  I may have developed an autoimmune disease trigered by my ex-partners "flora."
To men I say do not open your gateway to the "flora" out there.  To woman I say the same and get your own "flora" under control.  If your man's sperm has been basic for 1000's of years, then do what you must to control your flora and get it prepared for a little basic semen if that is your choice.
I just  had sex(protected) for the first time about 4 days ago , and the next time I went to go to the bathroom , I got an unwelcome odor ... I'm afraid other people can smell it to , and it's quite aggravating .. How should I get rid of this problem !??!?!?!! And I won't say my exact age , but I'm afraid to go and buy something at the store to help with this problem because I don't want my parents finding out about any of this sexual stuff ... SOMEONE PLEASEEEE HELP !
My post before this was actually directed toward everyone .. So an answer from everyone would be nicce ....... THANKS !
It's funny but when I masterbate I get an odor but NOTHING like the one I get after my bf and I have sex. I will say that you DEFINITELY ARE what you eat! When I eat garlic, my vag smells and tastes like garlic. When I eat a lot of fruit, it tastes and smells sweet. That is not the issue at hand. When I was single and "rubbed one out" my vagina smelled like vag juice but it didn't *stink*. Now, after sex, it smells AWFUL! It's NOT fishy, it just smells like dead rat or something is stuck in my cooter. I've tried tinkling after sex. I've tried cleaning myself really, really well after sex but bottom line it doesn't bother my bf, it bugs me. Honestly it doesn't even bug me that much until the next day when I can still smell it and I have showered a few times. UGH!

I'm gonna buy the pH papers and see what our individual pH levels are and start taking a probiotoc supplement and see if that helps with the normal "flora" of my girl. I don't have burning or itching that I have had when I've gotten yeast infections due to administration of antibiotics, but I have that stench the next couple days afterward. What's bad is that we have sex three-seven times a day. I LOVE for him to come inside of me but he's just as happy splooging on my face, boobs, ***, etc.

Bottom line ladies: Men are pretty easy. I'm sure they know what's going on and if you give them the opportunity to do so, they'll come just about anywhere you want them to. Get creative and be fun! I'm wondering if Eric's pH is lower because he eats to much junk food or something. I dunno but I'll post here after I test his semen.
Important discussion. I have a girl with vaginl odora
my odor smells really bad and i been having this problem for 2 months. i went to get checked and the doctor said its a bladder infection. i really dont think its a bladder infection. i been with my boyfriend for 8 years and when we have sex it hurts me down there. it feels like i'm way to tight and i never felt that before. should i been worried?
I would like to thank you all for talking about this beacause I thought I was crazy. I didnt get this problem until after my second child and I had the 5yr IUD and had no problem was wounderful got the 10 yr and this problem begin It not a fish smell just a LOUD SEX Smell which I hate I tried every thing frm baths, showers and Douche. and nothing helped. But now i will try add more milk and fruites and a better diet and see where that getts us. My husband is happy that I have answer to what Im going through thank You Ladies! I think more doctors should talk about this more!

Lady D
wow long forum lol me and my boyfriend don't used any type of protection and he pulls out to ejaculate, but i'm thinking of getting the 5 year coil and am afraid of letting him *** inside me, because the only time he did, months ago, i hated the feeling of it dripping out and the smell of it. he just has smelly semen so i forgot about it.  i just really dont think i will enjoy sex as much if he starts coming inside me....he is 26 and i am 19 and he is obviously used to doing this with past partners and so i dont want to **** him off by telling him that he still cant
The reason there is a smell is because you are not urinating after sex. Going to the bathroom would help. Using vinegar and warn water to wash will help with the bad smells. Also using deodorant will help control the smell because our vaginas have the same glands as our arm pits. Yeah they both sweat so they both smell.
CURE FOR BV

Hey all,

I suffered with BV off and on until I found this cure. 1/2 hydrogen peroxide 1/2 purified water in an empty dousche bottle (so pour out the stuff that comes in the doushe bottle at Walgreens and refill with what I just said). And get in the shower and squirt it in your vag and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then fill bottle with purified water and rinse it out.

At night insert a probiotic tablet in your vag which you can get at Whole Foods. It's specifically for your vag. Do this for 3 days.

Seriously my vagina is like new. I'm so happy I found this cure and I haven't had any BV infection in 6 months! So happy :))
OMG i read your post and i nearly fell out of my chair. we have the SAME EXACT STORIES. even the length of our relationship is the same! (well mines about a yr and a half, close enough) I just got the nuvaring 3 months ago. I don't have the yeast infection problem though, but the smell and discharge definately affects our relationship, and none of this started happening until i got the nuvaring too. My boyfriend also questions if i am faithful because he's got it in his mind that the pH levels of 2 different sperms inside me is "what makes the smell" which is completely false and ignorant. I think im going to take him with me to my nxt gyno appt bc the things that come out of this guys mouth makes NO SENSE. anyway lol. thank you so much for posting! i started to think it was a problem with ME and now i realize its most likely just my birth control
  I was a virgin until I met the man of my dreams in speech class in college six months ago. I was a 25 year old virgin, soon to be 26. And My bf was a virgin too. His dad had cancer so he had no time for dating and believe me...he was a virgin! well. I am on birth control and the first time we had sex, my bf refused to wear a condom. I figured im on birth control so whats the harm. well now when I pee it is so so so SO stront. It doesn't smell sweet, but almost spicy. Like a Teriyaki sauce gone sour. Its the only way to explain this. Even if I dont have sex with my bf for a week the smell is still there!!! I have my period now and with a tampon the pee smells worse. What should I do? Should I go to the doctors? Is it my ph levels?
Because it has been your first time for sex, you most likely have cystitis, a urinary tract infection. This is often called honeymoon cystitis and it happens because the penis rubbing on your urinary tract irritates it and can cause an infection in your bladder.   often virgins or women who havn't had sex for a while will find this happens. You will need to see a DR because it can get very painful. You can take Ural to change the PH level. Most women smell for a day or two after sex , if the man ejaculates inside. As the other posts say the sperm die and that smells, the PH level of the vagina changes as well. I hate the smell and have come looking for ways to get rid of it without to much fuss. So after you have been checked by a Dr and and found not to have thrush or other vaginal infections or STD's then the smell after sex is SEX smell yuk. It also tells other males you are taken and conversely causes them to be interested. Good old pheremones. Now how do I stop the odor? Without douches.
I have been having this problem for a couple of years now myself. I only get bv after I have sex where he cums inside me. I HAVE A VERY EASY AND CHEAP WAY TO MANAGE THIS ISSUE LADIES!!!!!!!!! Go to a cvs, rite aid, walgreens...or whatever similar store close to where you live. Go to the isle where you find vitamins & probiotics. Look for Acidophilus. There are a few different types of Acidphilus, but make sure you get one that is chewable (VERY IMPORTANT!). When you notice that fishy odor, put 1-2 of these chewable acidophilus waffers inside your vagina. Make sure you wear a light pad or panty liner as they will slowly dissolve inside you and leak out. I like to do this at bedtime and when I wake up in the am...bv in GONE! No joke. This is THE best solution I've come across. Sure beats going to the gyno, paying a co-pay and using messy creams that take days to work. Also I like the idea that its completely naturally, no chemicals like the RX creams! The brand I use is NATURE"S BOUNTY and the waffers smell and taste like sweet strawberries (bonus). You can essentially eliminate BV from your life if after unprotected sex you just pop one inside your vagina before you fall asleep :-) it prevents it from even happening!!
(Also note that you need to keep the bottle refrigerated after you open it!)

GOOD LUCK LADIES!!!
I started a new relationship with a great guy and we have had sex every day recently, so you can imagine started to sense that unusual odor, would monistat or similar medication help?
I heard many years ago (Native American culture) that is the 'union' is meant to be forever that there is no smell other than the sweet, musty scent that arouses both partners.  If there is a scent after sex it is because the union is not considered proper.
Guys can carry BV, Carlecus Blackwell of Okc is a carrier of some foul ****. Carrying it  from women to women and impregnating young teen girls. Will the babies get it?
Try drinking plenty of water and even cranberry juice. Drink alot of it and you should see an improvement immediately
ive been having dis discharge for a long time now i thought it wud have gone away but it only got worst. it smells awful like decayed fish. it haz a yellow to green color. sometimes i get embarrass wen im with my gfs coz i tink dey are smelling me. i shower like 3 times per day yet wen i put on a liner i see dis discharge.im really scared to have oral sex coz im afraid my partner wud smell it. i havet had sex in a long time coz d smell gets worst wenever i have sex or wen i wake up in d morning...im embarras to even go to d doctor
Thank you I feel normal now. As women we have these embarrasing questions and some women make us feel stupid for asking. My doctor couldn't even answer. After 2 paps within 1 momonth I figured it had to be the mixture because it is after sex the next day. Thanks to the real honest and supportive ladies. I have been wearing scented panty shields and taking wipes to the bathroom when I am working because I am afraid others can smell my funk. Lol.
I have that same smell and have been dealing with it for 15 years me and my husband use a condom most times to avoid it but if u dont want to a scented panty liner will help catch some of the sperm as it comes out this will help avoid having to change underwear every few hours until the smell is gone which usially takes a day or two.....For some reason I guess their sperm doesnt mix with our natural smell because I never had this problem with other parteners......it is not bacterial vaganosis or a yeast infection
You mentioned Carlecus Blackwell.  Do you know him????
i have this problem too.. it doesnt seem to bother my hubby just me.. but i take a shower and my vag is brand new.. but i will deff do some ph testing.. on that note going to shower.. lol
Ahaaha ive always wanted to smell like a car. That last part of the cimment made me giggle
Try rephresh 30 day pills
I have this problem also its just your husbands semen coming out of u u might wanna douch with a little warm water and a capful of peroxide right after sex that helps alot!
I have the same issues for about 2 days after I have sex and it is only when he ejaculates into me that this smell occurs. I can tell that my vagina is normal most of the time in reguards to smell so I think it is his semen that is either too acidic or too alkiline. Since I can not control what he eats and drinks, I know this will keep happening. I have lost a lot of will to have sex with my husband. For a wife and a woman it's very serious that I don't feel sexy and I wait and wait until I can't stand it to have sex with my husband and I am always regretting it. Does anyone have any home remedies to cure this situation? I saw some people said Peroxide? I just don't know what is ok to put up there and what isn't. This is an embarassing questions so please be kind lol.
Wow ignorance is rampant here. Everyone get your information from professionals. Not just a bunch of weirdos off the "street".

Anyhow B.V. bacterial vaginosis is very likely. PROPER HYGEINE is vital for health. BOTH SEXUAL PARTNERS NEED TO BE CLEAN BEFORE & After SEX. CLEAN BEDDING & Underwear regularly also: THAT GOES FOR THE MAN ALSO.

MILD Ph Balanced wash NO harsh perfumes dyes or soaps. Evaluate what detergent you use on your underwear.

Hands & fingernails are dirty & perfect for causing infection. The vagina needs a delicate balance of bacterias to be healthy & douching will ruin that balance also. USE MESH/cheese CLOTH FILLED W/ PLAIN ORGANIC Active Live cultures Yogurt in your vagina (seriously). This is helpful for vaginal flora balance. Anything you put in; on; or around your genitals can disrupt your vaginal & urethra health. THE ANUS IS right there & needs to be kept Very clean or that bacteria will cause vaginal infection.
I dont ever have odor in the vaginal region....but if my husband and I have sex and I go to sleep I smell like fish the next day.  help.  we have both been checked for STD's and are cleared.
I deal with after I have had sex with my hubby. IT is bad and it make it where I want no sex anymore.
Omg, I thought i was alone... My hubby and I use condoms and i noticed that as soon as i *** there is a smell... Its not fishy thank god... it use to be when we were working on our son.  Ive been checked not infections, but even if i masturbate I smell it, its like a sweaty kinda smell.. not awful but not sweet or pleasant.. I know its associated with my O, bc if i fake it I dont smell it...
Hi I'm also a married women and I too have the same issue the next day after intercourse I found a solution that works if you go by Walmart they sell these vaginal medicated wipes that helps with the foul odor and they also have a pink style bottle to shower but it's only used for ur vaginal area. It helps reduce the foul smell and it helps to shower every day with it.  
Hi Im 36 yrs old and my ovaries hurst when I dont have sex and its funny but ever sence I turn 34 my sex drive when high. If I dont have sex i get in a bad mood and my ovaries hurts so much :( ??why
Found a quick and easy solution. I had read that garlic was good for yeast infections but didn't realize it works for this too. I cut a clove in half and inserted for an hour. Removed and no more smell at all! WARNING: You need to be able to get the garlic out. I sewed a string through the garlic the long way and tied it so that it would act like a tampon. When I was ready, I pulled the string and out it came. I sure there are other methods but that worked for me. Yay garlic!
I likes a smelly vagina with the smell of down-there sweat!!  It's heavenly!!  When I go down...I love to inhale and take all the odor in...it's the natural essence of a woman.  The smell turns me on so much, I seem to go in a feeding frenzy being careful not to bite!  But the most pleasure I get is knowing that she's aroused and I CAN SMELL IT!
Im 36 and my boyfriend is 37. the smell came about 2years ago and I thought that maybe it was an std..Im so thank full Im not the only one who suffers this. its horriable.I hate having sex anymore becouse of it. will try some of the things you all have posted. thank u all. ang
It's going to be about a year that I've been with my significant other and we have been working on this issue together.  He has been real supportive.  I realized washing with bar soaps were part of the issue.  The scent is strong and even when he washes his penis with the bar soap and inserts inside me I smell the order.  I started washing with Vagisil soap on a loofer and that helped a lot. We came to the conclusion that bar soaps were not good for me and him washing his penis with it wasn't working either. It feels like a lot of work and there are times where I don't even want to have sex.  I have felt embarrassed even though he has been supportive.  I'm such a clean person, even OCD at times that this issue really gets to me.  Between soaps, powders and pantyliners and just always being cautions can be exhausting mentally.  I thought I was the only one with this problem and then I read everyone's post and a sigh of relieve came over me that I am not the only one. We will continue to work at this as a couple and when we get to the perfect combination I will keep you all posted :-)
okay well my issue is a little different than others.

every since i became pregnant is when my partner and i noticed that my vagina smelled different. the smell is very strong, no sooner than he ejaculates inside me. even without sex, i notice a change in the "smell" of my vagina. its really disturbing and i would like an explanation. only problem is i don't want to talk to my ob/gyn about these female issues, with my partner in the room ! WHAT DO I DO ?!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG!!!! Thanks for your info.ive noticed after sex i have the same thing going on but i always assumed it must be me and since im prone to BV I figured that what it was, until recently.Ive been living with my fiance a year now and naturally we stop worrying about pulling out or protection.since weve done so ive noticed that unbearable smell but it seems to bother him to the point that our sexual experiences are limited and exploringing one another isnt an option when i have this odor. Im 27 and we both arent that experienced so talking about it is almost not and option.i tend to feel like im giving him an excuse because he doesnt understand it all. but now i can speak to him in confidence about what it is and possible suggestions to fix it
i have been pretty sure that my wife has been cheating on me. you see, i don't come inside her. i have suspected that she was seeing someone fro back in her home town out of state. then.... she came back from, "visiting her mother", and she had that fishy smell. it was gone after a few days, and i never thought anymore of it. she is now back again, and so is the smell. What does everyone think? Busted?
Hold your horses, lucifix! :-)
There are a host of reasons women have vaginal odours, infections being the obvious candidate, but hormonal changes, diet, and other factors are sometimes in play. Your wife needs regular checkups, of course, especially if she is experiencing other symptoms. Perhaps you would agree that your relationship might need an examination as well.

Start with straight talk, but in the absence of the obviously absent mutual trust here, a set of outside-the-family ears can work wonders. Non-partisan for sure. Being a Christian, I recommend a pastor (priest, rabbi...) as a first line of defense in the marriage preservation arena, but you don't have to go that route if you are not spiritual. I don't think I am stepping beyond rational reasoning to suppose that fits your situation based solely on your user name! No offence.

Anyway, I doubt your DOUBTS have materialised out of thin air. There seem to be other extenuating issues that lead you to believe your wife, whom you vowed to have and to hold et al, is betraying her own vows to you. This "someone from out of state" could be real, but it also could be a manifestation of your own suspicions, groundless or otherwise. I always tell friends & family to try and SAVE a marriage. It is too precious to waste on folly. Takes hard work, but it is ALWAYS worth it. 'Specially if children are involved!!!

Good Luck
That is what i thought about my partner and I accused him of being closeted bi-sexual! Only because of the ****** smell. I thought well= he's going up the "exit only" hole!
Ladies, please know that you are not alone. Try half peroxide, half water (I won't tell the exact because I'm not a doctor) in a turkey baster, repeat 3 times and shower. For instant gratification put that baster up there with nothing in it and smell it....Yea, it does work right :)! Now, invest the time in yourself, and do this after sex and SMELL the difference. Also...it has been my experience that Rephresh only masks the smell. It actually creates a coating to absorb the odor vs. taking it away completely and my man can taste the coating. After 3 days you're back to foul # veryexpensive. Your ph and your man's ph doesn't balance is all it is, and that's the way it is sometimes. It's not your fault or his, it just is!!!
OMG I never thought googling this would yield any response -- nice to know I am not the only one dealing with this!!! Thanks for the helpful hint -- I will be sure and try it.
After being with the same man for 20 plus years I thought a smell was normal. It wasnt until I had a new partner that I noticed no vaginal smell after sex. Why would this be, foul smell with one partner but not another?
To EVERYONE  out there! First: see a dr.to rule out any type of STD or bacterial infection. I love my 13 year partner but I have had other issuses as well as the "smell". After  each time we had sex I would get an UTI. I demanded he wear a condem. Guess what no more UTI Or SMELL! I have been tested for all STD's. All negatory. I have asked him to get checked out and he refuses???? Hum... Unprotected sex is so riskaaaa even though he says he's faithful, whatever I don't want the UTI or the risk!
Listen, everyone.  I've been dealing with this for several decades and finally figured out how to solve it.  No one enjoys smelling like snapper, so there's no shame (and everything to gain) in finding answers and taking care of your business; it's part of being an adult.  Accept it.

The bottom line (no pun intended) is the vagina MUST be at an acidic pH level of around 4.5 every day.  The vagina also MUST have more of the good bacteria (probiotics) than the bad.  Anything that endangers one of these factors (like period blood or semen), and you will smell trouble.  There are no exceptions to this biological rule.

A few things that work: add a cup of white vinegar to very warm bath water in a VERY clean bathtub.  Get in there and just soak for 20 minutes at least.  DO NOT add anything to this water that will raise the pH to an alkaline level (meaning, NO SOAP, because soap is extremely alkaline).  All you want in this bath water is vinegar.  Then get up, drain the tub, and shower as usual, not using soap down there, but a pH-balanced wash.  

After your period, do this vinegar soak.  After sex (every time), do this vinegar soak.  Buy a sitz tub if you have to, but soak that thang!  Once it becomes a part of your routine, you'll just do this, just as you automatically brush AND floss your teeth once or twice a day without crying about it.  The end justifies the means, so to speak.

The other thing is to eat yogurt AND take acidophilus capsules every day.  Just do it.  It's good for your gut and immune system, too.

Lastly...

Norforms are awesome because they are inexpensive AND acidic; they contain lactic acid, which brings your pH level down to a proper level.  They're easy to use, and keep you smelling yummy!  There is an antibacterial agent in Norforms, but if you're taking your probiotics (yogurt and acidophilus), it shouldn't be a problem that the bad guys are being eliminated.  News flash: the good bacteria naturally create both lactic acid AND hydrogen peroxide in your cooter to protect you and give your vagina an ideal ecosystem, so it's all good in the 'hood.

Best wishes!
I also have that one. But to me, it is during and after sexual intercourse. i also smell my husband's discharge the same as i do have. it goes back to normal after the intercourse but it takes around 2 to 3 days. A friend of mine says it's just normal. but its good to visit an obgyne for further clarification about what i experience. i encountered that thing after a miscarriage. it is also good to have a papsmear test.
I had sex, then a couple hours later I went to pee and it smelled like a rubbery odor, kind of like a condom. Its 2 days later, and it still smells like that just not as strong, should I be worried?
congratulation for
Cat
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Are you having unprotected sex. Does he pull out? It sounds like you have Bacterial Vaginosis. It will cause a "fishy" smell after intercourse and is easily treatable!!!
Hi everyone :)*

I came across this thread whilst web searching - I think there may be a link between BV and PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), so it would be worth getting that checked, especially the younger of you who haven't started families yet:  PID is hard to diagnose, you can't do a home test but your doctor or STD clinic can test you.  

That aside, I think I can help you get rid of this and it's very simple xx

I've been with the same guy for four years, I don't cheat on him - I'm too flipping lazy tbh ;).  

When I met him I was having periods, now I've just turned 54 have been through the menopause (late I know - lucky genetics) so I disagree with those who suggest there's a menopausal/adolescent/hormonal changes link.  For what it's worth, I suspect BV's caused by diet - and diet is anything you put in your bodies lovelies, not just food but also alcohol, drugs and whatever those drugs may be cut with.  But who cares?  I'm no angel, never was, not interested in judging anyone, just wanted you to know that so you can include it in your own observations xx  Main thing is making that godawful, embarrassing smell go away.

So, I developed the most awful, stinking, revolting BV in the first 6 months of knowing him, never had anything like it before, blamed him, and to be honest I ain't ever gonna tell him if it wasn't his fault - he'd have me apologising forever!

Science has always been 'my subject' and I have limited faith in doctors so, although I approached my doctor (who offered no help at all) I also got on the net, delved deep and read about three days' worth of scientific papers containing references to BV.

I'm in the UK, dunno if this forum is UK, US or global but the products I refer to are UK-bought and/or UK trade-names.

I've been tested for every STD except HIV (some things I'd rather not know).  I was and am STD free.

I've had a few tests for urinary/bladder infections over the past 4 years, all have been negative.  (I haven't been tested for, PID but will ask for it now).

I'm not prone to thrush (had it twice in my life) but I tried both the oral cure and the pessary:  Neither had any effect, the pessary made the BV smell worse.

I tried Balance-Activ and it did nothing, absolutely useless, also tried various lesser known gels, pessaries and tablets I can't remember the names of anymore, but they were all useless.

The UK Nanny State doesn't allow us to douche but I ordered the equipment from Amazon:  Douched with teaspoon Femfresh + about quarter pint water, didn't fix it.

Stopped using Bubble bath - no change.

Stopped using soap, washed with Femfresh - no change.

Douched with Saline Solution (water + salt) - that worked but very temporary, couple of hours.

Douched with Vinegar + water - same as above, couple of hours.

Tried drinking cranberry juice (yuck) - yes, it worked a bit and may have worked really well if I'd drunk more but it's hard drinking pints of something you don't like.  Tried mixing it with another juice but that stopped it working - I'm guessing the second juice neutralised the cranberry by creating a different juice with a different acid/akalkine composition.

I ain't sticking peroxide up there, end of!

OK, now the things that work :))

There's a gel that you sorta squirt up there, it's called Multi-Gyn Actigel, made by a company called Multi-Gyn.  It works 100%.  Squirt it after a bath.  It's not a cure but it'll give you 12-24 hours.  Setback is it's expensive - £9 or £10 a tube (50ml) - and I was getting through a tube a week!

But the miracle I found deep in the scientific papers was a simple bacteria - Lactobacilllus casei Shirota. Yeah I know, I can't pronounce it either and I didn't recognise it myself till I google'd it, but you'll recognise it when I say it's a 'good bacteria' :)  It's Yakult. That simple :)) It's still not a cure but drink one a day and your BV will be gone - totally and utterly gone.  And I know it's working cos I get lazy, complacent, think I'm cured, forget to drink it or don't get to the shops and the minute I miss a day the BV's back.  

It also works pretty quick - works for me within a couple of hours of drinking it - can't figure that out myself cos stuff doesn't go through our systems that fast!  Unless that's telling us the problem starts a lot 'higher up', 'earlier' than we assume.  Whatever :)  It doesn't taste as nasty as it looks, I'd describe the flavour as pineapple & coconut.  But you can mix it with anything, it still works - I've even thrown it in my bag on the way out and tipped it in a vodka & orange, it still worked!  

But I probably shouldn't suggest that ;)

Thing is it's easy, natural, 100% effective and so flipping cheap.  No, none of those are the 'thing'.  Thing is it WORKS :))

And no I don't work for whichever company makes Yakult - I just realised I'm probably sounding like I do!  I don't think they're even in this country, they're Swedish or something aren't they?  

Just try it.  It's something like £3 - £3.50 for 7 bottles/1 week - and having said that, I doubt the makers would go to the trouble of this post to get that wee bit of money out of you so I guess that alone proves I don't work for them :)  

I really really hope it works as well for you as it has for me xx BV is soul destroying, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Well, hardly anyone!  Please come back and say if it works for you - I really do research things cos I know the only way we can really fix it is do it ourselves, so I'd love to know if it's a cure-all or just me.  I don't for one minute think it'll be just me, I'll be amazed if is.  I'll come back let you know if I find a definitive link to PID.  But I don't think I will tbh xx

I think I know what you mean my sex partner tell me that her stomach hurt when we have sex, and she also say she a bad fishy smell to after we have sex. she said she never had this problem until we met and i being with her for two year now. this make me feel i have some problem, but the doctor i am not the problem but body fluid does match. I really love making love to this person and don't want to loose her cause of bad odor after sex. what should i do since i the male partner.
Hell I always knew my relationship had issues !  This comment just makes me think about that from a diffferent prospective, haha. Sex makes a woman smell,like being marked.... I have gone weeks without sex and there is  no smell ! I even did a test on myself, gross yes but it wasn't the problem. I didn't bathe for three days just washed my pits and butt with a washcloth. no stink at all !!!  I have tried the diet test with different foods, still stinks after !!!  I have to get into a tub and wash inside and out ot the vagina, if I dont rinse well inside ,I use Dove, it will appear . So I cant just lay back and chill after sex like guys do, unless I want to puke when I open my legs, and it funks your underwear too ! No body will convince me its ok. It's ok only when there is no sperm inside the vagina, but getting a man ,especially an older man to use a rubber is like asking them to sacrifice thier manhood. But it's ok for us to carry dead rotton crap inside ! I don;t think so. Being able to sit with my legs crossed indian style in a dress and not sniff ANYTHING is priceless !
Two things can help a little in terms of the man and sparing his feelings.  Tell him (white lie) as your body chemistry is changing with age it's harder to keep fresh after sex so COULD YOU HELP ME (these words always help our ego) and do one or two things so we can have sex more often?  Then give him these four options: wear a condom, wash your penis with peroxide (straight from bottle), pull out before you ***, alter diet.  If a man thinks he is helping and has the chance for more sex he will make a lot of changes.  If your vagina smells nice without him and awful with him - it's him.  Hear are some things you may already know.  Garlic, onions, alcohol, smoking, junk food and anything that can make your breath stink can "sour" semen.  Cranberry juice, pineapple juice, watermelon, lots of water and pistachios can help "sweeten" semen.  Once he agrees to one or more of these, have sex with him and then let him know if the technique he chose will work.  When he finds the proper combination, reward him and he will be controllable in this area whenever you bring it up.  
I'm actually trying to get pregnant too and it smells like fish after he discharges. I'm prone to yeast infections and since I'm allergic to the medications,I've had to learn some new tricks. I also take a spray bottle,  but I pour a cap full of white distilled vinegar and fill with water. I don't douche or insert anything, I just pour the water in between and around my area,while using my fingers to make sure it gets scrubbed good. Then I do a quick rinse to get rid of the vinegar smell and bam, No smell! Even if you leave a little of the vinegar smell,it goes away throughout the day. I do this every single shower and I haven't had a yeast infection in over 6 months, which is great for me.
Ok I posted almost a year ago.  Yes I've been tested for everything under the sun, correction-we have been- to no avail. Zip show up in tests, no antibiotics cleared it up. I didn't stink, he didn't stink -but we stink!

Yes the peroxide gets rid of the odor, no I haven't had any side effects, 50/50 with water is what I used. I wanted something natural. My Aunt who's a nurse said it's indeed the mix of both our chemicals throwing my PH off. Happens to every age group. She suggested yogurt, non flavored, but I like the banana (LOL). Douche with warm water first, then a bit in the syringe and squeeze yogurt in, let it stay for the night and douche in the morning with warm water. There have been times where I haven't cleaned out in the morning, and, outside of a bit of discharge during the day, nothing noticeable. And it gets rid of the itches I sometimes get too..

Going to try yogurt before sex one of these times :)
Sorry guys, long comment

I have been having vaginal discharge that is yellow/green and smells. it is not a fishy smell, but it is not a natural scent. I have been sexually active with the same partner for 7 months, but non active for a month and 2 weeks. the itching is most severe after urination and the discharge is very frequently coming. I've been masturbating and found that the smell is most strong after i've finished, then never goes away. I'm scared that others can smell it. I've also found that after shaving and showering, the itching sort of goes away. How can i treat these symptoms? Someone help please!!!!
I seriously think you should see a doctor! The symptoms you are having sounds more like an STD!
lmfaooo
I have the same problem.....z:/
I have spent hours of research on the study of STI's (Sexually Transmitted Infections).  I have also spent hours reading about the vaginal system (mainly the lower).  In a nut shell, you have good bacteria and bad bacteria.  There are a handful of good bacteria (Lactobacillus species) that help control the vaginal system...i.e. ward off the bad bacteria.  The mixture of Lactobacilli species tend to fluctuate between ethnicities, but they do help control the pH and acidic levels...and these bacteria also help produce hydrogen peroxide.  THIS IS GOOD!  BUT there are several species that have been "CITED" to cause certain problems within the vaginal system.  Somehow these bacteria over come the vaginal microbial environment and then the system is off balance.  Lets say you take an antibiotic--- well you just flushed all the GOOD and BAD bacteria out of the vaginal tract.  Lets say you douche.....you are most likely only flushing the GOOD bacteria and "flushing the BAD bacteria even further into the vaginal tract."  Gardnerella vaginalis (BV) is one that can be very tricky.  Another species that can offset our vaginal system is Vulvovaginal candidiasis (YEAST).  Both species can cause some problems such as an unusual odor, itching, burning, and a discharge, or some sort of irritation.  

LONG story short....you can have numerous things that can disrupt the normal vaginal microbes (bacteria).....semen, douche, bathing habits (you and your partner), sex toys, baths......  

If you feel that you are running out of options....get PROBIOTICS.  Whole Foods and many other up-scale grocery stores do carry live-strains of lactobacilli.  Fem-Dophilus is a trusted manufacturer that contains a nice mixture of many strains of Lactobacilli.  Take one or two a day..depending on how things are going.  You can speed things up by eating greek yogurt...this will help you with your upper vaginal track and gestation as well.  

If your discharge is green, you for sure have a sexually transmitted disease. Please, see a doctor! A round of the right antibiotics will make you smell better, and prevent the STI from turning into something far worse.  
I've experienced this on many occasions. The scent leaves within the week. I try to control it by using aloes inside it and bathing with warm water and vinegar. It could also be a result of your sex partner having another partner. There's that possibility
Love this Post. I have been dealing with this same issue for the past 7 months of  of my relationship. Being a Female *****. Anyway ladies... Do your men have public hair on their shaft? I was wondering if the frictions and hair is causing tares and in turn increasing bacteria to heal the tiny paper cuts, ensuing a smelly gyna. Because with a condom I'm fine. And he doesn't ejaculate inside me. I think this could be a series of situations added; ph levels of male and female, public hair friction, increased bacteria, and possible BV as a result. Boy it never ends for us... does it?
BTW LADIES!!! my obgyn always tells me the best thing to bring you PH back is to take warm baths with Baking Soda, it also helps with itchiness and irritation due to BV and Yest infections, and or pain
I've noticed this too, but it only happens after sex with *one* particular partner.  He also happens to be the most well-endowed guy I have ever been with, so my theory is he is hitting new places inside of me and shaking loose smelly gunk that would otherwise stay deep inside.  But wow, every time I have sex with him, it's a huge P-U.  Doesn't happen with anyone else.
What if the guy did not ejaculate? I still had the smell even though he did nt ejaculate
Thanks for this tip.  I will certainly give it a go.
For all those people blaming the sperm.....I dont have a partner at the moment and I'm still getting the foul smell after masturbatin!.  I have actually been stressed out lately and picked up a head cold, a 24 hour tummy bug and I've now got symptoms of bv.  I think we must just get it when we are run down and defences are weak.

Thanks for your advice
Chrissie
omg. so happy to find this post. there are so many comments i couldnt read them all.

i'm in my 20s and have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend for over 4 years. for the last year, i've been having such a bad smell in the days following sex with him. i keep going to the doc and she's been diagnosing me with bacterial vaginosis and says that we need to use condoms (which seems like such an annoyance to even think about). i just can't understand why this is an issue now. i didn't have this problem the first 3 years. why now?

i had that leep surgery (for HPV) the first year we were together and right after that, i experienced a similar smell, but again, the smell hasn't resurfaced for another two years. what should i do?
also, he has never ejaculated in me.
I have been married for 13 yrs and the past five has been horrible dealing with the same issue.  I blamed him for everything, and at our age using condoms was so annoying and embarrassing!! I even considered divorce just so HE could have a normal relationship. I had gone to the doctor and asked for medication to cure BV so many times but after a week it would all happen again.  I FINALLY talked to an "old" doctor who told me it was like being allergic to your spouse lol....what was happening is my PH and his PH did not mix and messed up all the flora.  I was told to try RePhresh ProBiotics.  You can get this at walmart, walgreens etc (I have to order mine through walmart and its cheaper).  This is like a miracle pill, I swear!! I hesitated on paying 25.00 for a month but now its worth every dollar, I actually feel like a normal, clean woman.  This is the best thing I have ever come across, I have yet to have ANY problems and highly recommend trying this product!!
I am so relieved to know I am not the only one with this problem. I am embarrassed to admit I was worried I something was seriously wrong with me. I feel relieved to know I am not alone and get some pointers on how to fix the problem.
You have a urinary tract - nfection..especially the first few times a girl has sex, bacteria can get inside your urethra, which is the hole that urine comes out.This hole is just above the vaginal opening. YES GO TO THE DOCTOR. He/she will get you antibiotics, and give you tips like trying to urinate right after sex so you can flush germs out..good luck...
I cannot believe some of the things that I am reading here.

"THe guy doesn't *** inside me, why does it still smell, but not if we protect ourselves?".

First, Puling out does not really prevent pregnancy or STI's.

2. Even if he pulls out, there is still pre-ejaculatory fluid
3. IF your discharge is green, it doesn't necessarily mean you have an STI, but if you are concerned, see your doctor. Women's vaginal fluids are typically clear or white depending on the point in the cycle, but (like blood from a vein) once the oxygen hits it, it changes color and can even look like snot.
4. DOUSHING is HORRIBLE for your vaginal health and can cause yeast infections or other vaginal infections that are no fun to have and really, based on how the human body works, you shouldn't have to douche.
MOST medical experts will tell you that warm water is sufficient to clean the vagina inside and out.

Lastly, the smell will change with your hormones. Therefore, if it is something new, I wouldn't say it's anything to panic over. If you're concerned, see your doctor. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING that your doctor hasn't heard before. And of all of the people you shouldn't be shy or bashful to be honest with; your doctor should be top 3.
It is a PH thing.  This product works and is cheaper in the long run than RePhresh and other stuff you purchase.  It is all natural and only uses tap water.

Waterworks - http://www.waterworkshealth.com
Ali,
There is feminine odor after sex.
Then there is an overpowering terrible smell that is not normal after sex, right after pulling out.
Hi, 45 yr old female, married 20 years same man, my urine started smelling terrible after sex about 5-7 years ago & would last 1 to 2 weeks at a time and then would go away. I describe it as "asparagus pee" x 1000. I always thought it was from medication & vitamins my hubby was taking until the last 2 times when it turned into a full blown urinary tract infection.

I did not want to go to the docs this last time so I did hours of research and the 1st day I smelled "the smell" I went out & got Magnesium CITRATE (not plain magnesium, it won't work), Make sure the bottle reads Magnesium CITRATE (yes, it's 2x the price as regular magnesium). After the first pill I noticed there was only a faint smell. After 2nd pill it was gone (I took 1 in the morning & 1 at night). But, I still had a little "tingle" when I went tinkle. So I ordered a vitamin called D-Mannose off of amazon & started taking that as prescribed. It's a little pricey but it works. After 4 days I was completely back to normal. No smell, no tingle, no burn. One of the side effects for both Magnesium Citrate & D-Mannose is loose stool so cut back a little if you get the runs. I'm always constipated so it was a 2'fer :)

The smell is bacteria in your urinary tract. So the D-Mannose is a partical that clings to the bacteria and forces it out. You will pee like a race horse & often too but that means it's working. Take it as long as you need to. Some people use it on a regular basis because it actually will prevent UTI's.However, it's a sugar based compound so if you have diabetes, give your doc a call & see if it's ok to take.

There is also an OTC pill you can get at Walmart or any drug store called AZO. That also prevents UTI's & helps with the pain & discomfort when you have one.

The key is to make sure you pee BEFORE you have sex. More important as you get older. Everything changes. How you get a "sex" UTI is because urine is pushed back into the urinary tract by him pushing on your bladder. The urine has not been sterilized by the kidneys yet so it contains bacteria. Even if you don't feel like you have to go, try anyway.  

The initial investments in the Magnesium Citrate & D-Mannose is well worth it because you can use it over & over as needed so get the bigger bottles if you suffer routinely from UTI's. I have plenty left for the next several times this happens. Hope this helps!
Viewing 201-298 comments: