vaginal smell after sex
I am 21 years old and have been married for almost 4 months. I have noticed that after sex, I have a foul smell from my vagina. My husband and I were both virgins when we got married, and obviously there is no one else. I always empty my bladder and clean off after sex. The smell seems to be more noticable if we've had more sex in a short period of time. Also the smell doesn't show up until usually the next day, but lingers for a day or two! I feel like the whole world can smell it! Also, there is no discharge, and I've had yeast infections before so I know its not that. I am on birth control, ortho tricyclin.  Please let me know if there is anything that I can do about this! Otherwise I have my yearly appt in 3 months....
I think I know what you mean my sex partner tell me that her stomach hurt when we have sex, and she also say she a bad fishy smell to after we have sex. she said she never had this problem until we met and i being with her for two year now. this make me feel i have some problem, but the doctor i am not the problem but body fluid does match. I really love making love to this person and don't want to loose her cause of bad odor after sex. what should i do since i the male partner.
Hell I always knew my relationship had issues !  This comment just makes me think about that from a diffferent prospective, haha. Sex makes a woman smell,like being marked.... I have gone weeks without sex and there is  no smell ! I even did a test on myself, gross yes but it wasn't the problem. I didn't bathe for three days just washed my pits and butt with a washcloth. no stink at all !!!  I have tried the diet test with different foods, still stinks after !!!  I have to get into a tub and wash inside and out ot the vagina, if I dont rinse well inside ,I use Dove, it will appear . So I cant just lay back and chill after sex like guys do, unless I want to puke when I open my legs, and it funks your underwear too ! No body will convince me its ok. It's ok only when there is no sperm inside the vagina, but getting a man ,especially an older man to use a rubber is like asking them to sacrifice thier manhood. But it's ok for us to carry dead rotton crap inside ! I don;t think so. Being able to sit with my legs crossed indian style in a dress and not sniff ANYTHING is priceless !
Two things can help a little in terms of the man and sparing his feelings.  Tell him (white lie) as your body chemistry is changing with age it's harder to keep fresh after sex so COULD YOU HELP ME (these words always help our ego) and do one or two things so we can have sex more often?  Then give him these four options: wear a condom, wash your penis with peroxide (straight from bottle), pull out before you ***, alter diet.  If a man thinks he is helping and has the chance for more sex he will make a lot of changes.  If your vagina smells nice without him and awful with him - it's him.  Hear are some things you may already know.  Garlic, onions, alcohol, smoking, junk food and anything that can make your breath stink can "sour" semen.  Cranberry juice, pineapple juice, watermelon, lots of water and pistachios can help "sweeten" semen.  Once he agrees to one or more of these, have sex with him and then let him know if the technique he chose will work.  When he finds the proper combination, reward him and he will be controllable in this area whenever you bring it up.  
I'm actually trying to get pregnant too and it smells like fish after he discharges. I'm prone to yeast infections and since I'm allergic to the medications,I've had to learn some new tricks. I also take a spray bottle,  but I pour a cap full of white distilled vinegar and fill with water. I don't douche or insert anything, I just pour the water in between and around my area,while using my fingers to make sure it gets scrubbed good. Then I do a quick rinse to get rid of the vinegar smell and bam, No smell! Even if you leave a little of the vinegar smell,it goes away throughout the day. I do this every single shower and I haven't had a yeast infection in over 6 months, which is great for me.
Ok I posted almost a year ago.  Yes I've been tested for everything under the sun, correction-we have been- to no avail. Zip show up in tests, no antibiotics cleared it up. I didn't stink, he didn't stink -but we stink!

Yes the peroxide gets rid of the odor, no I haven't had any side effects, 50/50 with water is what I used. I wanted something natural. My Aunt who's a nurse said it's indeed the mix of both our chemicals throwing my PH off. Happens to every age group. She suggested yogurt, non flavored, but I like the banana (LOL). Douche with warm water first, then a bit in the syringe and squeeze yogurt in, let it stay for the night and douche in the morning with warm water. There have been times where I haven't cleaned out in the morning, and, outside of a bit of discharge during the day, nothing noticeable. And it gets rid of the itches I sometimes get too..

Going to try yogurt before sex one of these times :)
Sorry guys, long comment

I have been having vaginal discharge that is yellow/green and smells. it is not a fishy smell, but it is not a natural scent. I have been sexually active with the same partner for 7 months, but non active for a month and 2 weeks. the itching is most severe after urination and the discharge is very frequently coming. I've been masturbating and found that the smell is most strong after i've finished, then never goes away. I'm scared that others can smell it. I've also found that after shaving and showering, the itching sort of goes away. How can i treat these symptoms? Someone help please!!!!
I seriously think you should see a doctor! The symptoms you are having sounds more like an STD!
lmfaooo
I have the same problem.....z:/
I have spent hours of research on the study of STI's (Sexually Transmitted Infections).  I have also spent hours reading about the vaginal system (mainly the lower).  In a nut shell, you have good bacteria and bad bacteria.  There are a handful of good bacteria (Lactobacillus species) that help control the vaginal system...i.e. ward off the bad bacteria.  The mixture of Lactobacilli species tend to fluctuate between ethnicities, but they do help control the pH and acidic levels...and these bacteria also help produce hydrogen peroxide.  THIS IS GOOD!  BUT there are several species that have been "CITED" to cause certain problems within the vaginal system.  Somehow these bacteria over come the vaginal microbial environment and then the system is off balance.  Lets say you take an antibiotic--- well you just flushed all the GOOD and BAD bacteria out of the vaginal tract.  Lets say you douche.....you are most likely only flushing the GOOD bacteria and "flushing the BAD bacteria even further into the vaginal tract."  Gardnerella vaginalis (BV) is one that can be very tricky.  Another species that can offset our vaginal system is Vulvovaginal candidiasis (YEAST).  Both species can cause some problems such as an unusual odor, itching, burning, and a discharge, or some sort of irritation.  

LONG story short....you can have numerous things that can disrupt the normal vaginal microbes (bacteria).....semen, douche, bathing habits (you and your partner), sex toys, baths......  

If you feel that you are running out of options....get PROBIOTICS.  Whole Foods and many other up-scale grocery stores do carry live-strains of lactobacilli.  Fem-Dophilus is a trusted manufacturer that contains a nice mixture of many strains of Lactobacilli.  Take one or two a day..depending on how things are going.  You can speed things up by eating greek yogurt...this will help you with your upper vaginal track and gestation as well.  

If your discharge is green, you for sure have a sexually transmitted disease. Please, see a doctor! A round of the right antibiotics will make you smell better, and prevent the STI from turning into something far worse.  
I've experienced this on many occasions. The scent leaves within the week. I try to control it by using aloes inside it and bathing with warm water and vinegar. It could also be a result of your sex partner having another partner. There's that possibility
Love this Post. I have been dealing with this same issue for the past 7 months of  of my relationship. Being a Female *****. Anyway ladies... Do your men have public hair on their shaft? I was wondering if the frictions and hair is causing tares and in turn increasing bacteria to heal the tiny paper cuts, ensuing a smelly gyna. Because with a condom I'm fine. And he doesn't ejaculate inside me. I think this could be a series of situations added; ph levels of male and female, public hair friction, increased bacteria, and possible BV as a result. Boy it never ends for us... does it?
BTW LADIES!!! my obgyn always tells me the best thing to bring you PH back is to take warm baths with Baking Soda, it also helps with itchiness and irritation due to BV and Yest infections, and or pain
I've noticed this too, but it only happens after sex with *one* particular partner.  He also happens to be the most well-endowed guy I have ever been with, so my theory is he is hitting new places inside of me and shaking loose smelly gunk that would otherwise stay deep inside.  But wow, every time I have sex with him, it's a huge P-U.  Doesn't happen with anyone else.
What if the guy did not ejaculate? I still had the smell even though he did nt ejaculate
Thanks for this tip.  I will certainly give it a go.
For all those people blaming the sperm.....I dont have a partner at the moment and I'm still getting the foul smell after masturbatin!.  I have actually been stressed out lately and picked up a head cold, a 24 hour tummy bug and I've now got symptoms of bv.  I think we must just get it when we are run down and defences are weak.

Thanks for your advice
Chrissie
omg. so happy to find this post. there are so many comments i couldnt read them all.

i'm in my 20s and have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend for over 4 years. for the last year, i've been having such a bad smell in the days following sex with him. i keep going to the doc and she's been diagnosing me with bacterial vaginosis and says that we need to use condoms (which seems like such an annoyance to even think about). i just can't understand why this is an issue now. i didn't have this problem the first 3 years. why now?

i had that leep surgery (for HPV) the first year we were together and right after that, i experienced a similar smell, but again, the smell hasn't resurfaced for another two years. what should i do?
also, he has never ejaculated in me.
I have been married for 13 yrs and the past five has been horrible dealing with the same issue.  I blamed him for everything, and at our age using condoms was so annoying and embarrassing!! I even considered divorce just so HE could have a normal relationship. I had gone to the doctor and asked for medication to cure BV so many times but after a week it would all happen again.  I FINALLY talked to an "old" doctor who told me it was like being allergic to your spouse lol....what was happening is my PH and his PH did not mix and messed up all the flora.  I was told to try RePhresh ProBiotics.  You can get this at walmart, walgreens etc (I have to order mine through walmart and its cheaper).  This is like a miracle pill, I swear!! I hesitated on paying 25.00 for a month but now its worth every dollar, I actually feel like a normal, clean woman.  This is the best thing I have ever come across, I have yet to have ANY problems and highly recommend trying this product!!
I am so relieved to know I am not the only one with this problem. I am embarrassed to admit I was worried I something was seriously wrong with me. I feel relieved to know I am not alone and get some pointers on how to fix the problem.
You have a urinary tract - nfection..especially the first few times a girl has sex, bacteria can get inside your urethra, which is the hole that urine comes out.This hole is just above the vaginal opening. YES GO TO THE DOCTOR. He/she will get you antibiotics, and give you tips like trying to urinate right after sex so you can flush germs out..good luck...
I cannot believe some of the things that I am reading here.

"THe guy doesn't *** inside me, why does it still smell, but not if we protect ourselves?".

First, Puling out does not really prevent pregnancy or STI's.

2. Even if he pulls out, there is still pre-ejaculatory fluid
3. IF your discharge is green, it doesn't necessarily mean you have an STI, but if you are concerned, see your doctor. Women's vaginal fluids are typically clear or white depending on the point in the cycle, but (like blood from a vein) once the oxygen hits it, it changes color and can even look like snot.
4. DOUSHING is HORRIBLE for your vaginal health and can cause yeast infections or other vaginal infections that are no fun to have and really, based on how the human body works, you shouldn't have to douche.
MOST medical experts will tell you that warm water is sufficient to clean the vagina inside and out.

Lastly, the smell will change with your hormones. Therefore, if it is something new, I wouldn't say it's anything to panic over. If you're concerned, see your doctor. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING that your doctor hasn't heard before. And of all of the people you shouldn't be shy or bashful to be honest with; your doctor should be top 3.
It is a PH thing.  This product works and is cheaper in the long run than RePhresh and other stuff you purchase.  It is all natural and only uses tap water.

Waterworks - http://www.waterworkshealth.com
Ali,
There is feminine odor after sex.
Then there is an overpowering terrible smell that is not normal after sex, right after pulling out.
Hi, 45 yr old female, married 20 years same man, my urine started smelling terrible after sex about 5-7 years ago & would last 1 to 2 weeks at a time and then would go away. I describe it as "asparagus pee" x 1000. I always thought it was from medication & vitamins my hubby was taking until the last 2 times when it turned into a full blown urinary tract infection.

I did not want to go to the docs this last time so I did hours of research and the 1st day I smelled "the smell" I went out & got Magnesium CITRATE (not plain magnesium, it won't work), Make sure the bottle reads Magnesium CITRATE (yes, it's 2x the price as regular magnesium). After the first pill I noticed there was only a faint smell. After 2nd pill it was gone (I took 1 in the morning & 1 at night). But, I still had a little "tingle" when I went tinkle. So I ordered a vitamin called D-Mannose off of amazon & started taking that as prescribed. It's a little pricey but it works. After 4 days I was completely back to normal. No smell, no tingle, no burn. One of the side effects for both Magnesium Citrate & D-Mannose is loose stool so cut back a little if you get the runs. I'm always constipated so it was a 2'fer :)

The smell is bacteria in your urinary tract. So the D-Mannose is a partical that clings to the bacteria and forces it out. You will pee like a race horse & often too but that means it's working. Take it as long as you need to. Some people use it on a regular basis because it actually will prevent UTI's.However, it's a sugar based compound so if you have diabetes, give your doc a call & see if it's ok to take.

There is also an OTC pill you can get at Walmart or any drug store called AZO. That also prevents UTI's & helps with the pain & discomfort when you have one.

The key is to make sure you pee BEFORE you have sex. More important as you get older. Everything changes. How you get a "sex" UTI is because urine is pushed back into the urinary tract by him pushing on your bladder. The urine has not been sterilized by the kidneys yet so it contains bacteria. Even if you don't feel like you have to go, try anyway.  

The initial investments in the Magnesium Citrate & D-Mannose is well worth it because you can use it over & over as needed so get the bigger bottles if you suffer routinely from UTI's. I have plenty left for the next several times this happens. Hope this helps!
Yes I have that same problem as well and hate it my boyfriend doesn't mind but I do so and did an experiment for a month I had my boyfriend  pull out before ejaculation  and guess what no odor! But it seems not fair to him you know I tried the OTC douch and it didn't help will try the peroxide
Who knows if this will be read but its because of pre *** or *** in the vagina.  Its alkaline while our vagina are acidic. It throws our balance off. I use boric acid in capsules after sex sometimes and always after my period to get things back in order. Its worked wonders for me.
you should definitely go to the doctor hun. if it has a color to it,thats indicating an infection. if you are scared or nervous, have a friend you can trust go with you. you can also go to planned parenthood if you have one n your area, they are very confidential and you even have the option to use a different name for privacy if they have to call you for anything. but DONT WAIT! IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE! GO TO THE DOCTOR ASAP! if you have a infection or disease it could affect your health in the long-run. :-)
I can shed some light on BV. I am a fairly sexy active guy and NEVER had a problem with my partners smelling bad after sex until a few years ago. now it happens every single time. A woman I was dating a while ago went to her doctor and found out although it's very treatable in woman there is currently no cure for men, and men are the unknowing carriers. It doesn't cause men any discomfort or odor issues so it's technically not a problem, but now that I have it I just have to deal with the fact that everytime I have unprotected sex I'm going to be giving the woman BV. I hate it. I've even spoken to ex-partners to verify that they didn't have any odor issues with new partners, and they don't. It would be great if someone can verify what I'm saying...
Dear, It used to happened to me too until I discovered that when I have sex and I give my bf ******** and then we finish with intercourse that bacterias from my mouth end up changing my ph and vagina smell. Yesterday I changed my partner and we only had intercourse and magically my fishy odor is gone. I guess you can also get bad odor when your partner spit is pennis to make your vagina wet, those bacterias are helping to increase your fishy odor. Hope it helps, and try to have sex without putting anything weird different than your own lubrication in your vagina, this will decrease strong odors probability.
For both of us or just the women?
No, not really. Both myself and several others with this problem have sex with husbands with vasectomies. Therefore there are no viable (alive) sperm in the ejaculate to emit a dying odor. Try again:)
You should see a doctor.  It is probably Bacterial Vaginosis (BV).  It is not an STD.  Some people that don't even have intercourse sometimes get it.  But you do mostly get it from sexual contact.  Some can develop the "fishy" odor and discharge even if a condom is used.  With sexual contact, basically what is happening is the pH levels in your vagina has changed due your natural bacteria "mixing" with his or the chemicals used on the condom.  The doctor may prescribe Metronidazole for about 7 days.  Make sure that you do not skip a dose or you may have to start the process all over.  Be aware of contraindications such as NO alcohol while taking the drugs as well any allergic reactions.  Also, make eating yogurt with active yeast cultures and drinking cranberry juice a part of your diet for overall vaginal and urinary health.
Hello I am 28 years old I've been  sexually active with only one partner I went to the doctor for a sours smell did a  at  smear on me  it was a BV she gave me antibiotics which was the pills  I completed the course of antibodies for seven days then after my seven day of taking the antibiotic pills I still noticed the sour smell when I  have intercourse  then I called back she describe me to get the  Cream for seven days after I got finished using the cream I still notice the sour smell please help me so I don't know what could this be.
Try tea tree mint shower gel check to see if the ingredients doesn't have parfum init.
It's a nice strong minty smell and also brilliant if u get thrush and other infections.
I'm very sensitive to soaps, this stuff is so good.
I also use baby wipes that doesn't include perfum, it's nice and refreshing after sex.
Maybe have a nice long soak in the bath.
Hope this helps
My girlfriend has a fishy smell at her vagina which is very intense. What may be the reason for it?
OMG! I have to tell you all my experience. I am a newly Wed, I remained abstinent for 2 years before marriage as well as my husband. No std or anything!! No cheating,we're good!..... So months after noticing I would have a fishy odor for a few days, on and off, I began to get irritated because I did not know what was going on. I stopped using my summers eve that I've always used the spray or even baby wipes, thinking this was throwing off my ph balance. Or something.then I noticed I still had a fishy odor on and off. I finally realized after months it was happening after I was having intercourse with my husband.I did so much research on Google and so many women had the same experience. I then figured out semen affects women, causing bv or bv symptoms. Most were saying to douche with peroxide, or take meds. I finally made my hubby go get checked and his doctor and mine said semen is mixing with my fluids causing me to have a fishy odor. I was a little distraught but I came to terms with it. So, by coincidence, the next few days came around and we had intercourse as usual, I then used a wet paper towel to clean up the semen and threw it in my bedside trash can. I repeated this 3 days in a row. So today I was laying on the bed when I noticed the fishy odor again. I kept getting a whiff of it thinking the smell was trapped in the mattress. So I was a little frustrated. That my mattress had a odor to it. I happened to decide to investigate where the odor seemed to be the strongest and, to my surprise, IT WAS THE SEMEN ON THE PAPERTOWEL IN THE TRASH CAN. I smelled it and immediately the smell hit me hard! It was crazy, so now I am on a search to find out what is causing it because I realized it is not me at all, it's my husband!! I get upset because women always feel it's us, however Google Searches have allowed me to find that many men say their semen smells fishy. And I have witnessed it!! So not saying what me and many women are experiencing is not bv but we take all these meds and the issue in my case is only odor.!! And it turns out it is not me! I had to post this because this is a major find!! I now can research this through males perspectives and experienceS because they may be the underlying issue, in my case, my husband's semen is fishy not me!! So hope this helps!!
Is there anything he can do to fix the smell?
Don't use toilet paper use baby whips you will smell and feel fresh all day. Use toilet paper for the other purpose. When you wipe clean between lips
I my self find that being big and sweating a lot doesn't help when having sex with my partner. Having a bath and soaking in it helps or drinking water helps my urine smell less strong and doing exercise helps me to sweat less. I also went to the doctors and had issues with the smell and had BV because i was washing down there with soap and that's a bad thing. I also found that yogurt helps me with pH balance naturally. I know that using products like vagisil help for like a day or so until having sex but i don't like the pink bottle i prefer the purple one lol. Everyone goes through it and if you have a friend or family member who you can talk too helps me.

The smell is fish ,and the smell is from dead spurm ,its simple
If you bathe in baking soda after intercourse, it removes the fishy smell. This is normal from the semen in our vagina. Using a condom prevents the fishy smell. I've been married 21 years... Trust me the smell gets old but baking soda baths help tremendously.
where do you buy the vinegar ?
never douche with vinegar or anything else.  Really, Bacterial Vaginosis needs to be treated with antibiotics.  good luck
I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS PROBLEM FOR YEARS. A FOUL SMELL AFTER SEX WEATHER I CAME IN THE WOMAN OR NOT. I STARTED USING CONDOMS WITH MY GIRLFRIEND AND STILL AND TERRIBLE SMELL AND SLIGHT INFECTION THAT WOULD LASTS DAYS SOMETIMES WEEKS. THIS WENY ON FOR YEARS BAFFLING DOCS. EVEN WITH A CONDOM. TILL I FOUND THE ANSWER!!!!   H PYLORI !!!!! I HAD H PYLORI AND WHEN MY SALIVA MADE CONTACT WITH MY FIRLFRIENDS VAGINA IT CAUSED THE INFECTION OF FOUL ODER. YOU BOTH CAN HAVE H PYLORI. GET THE TEST ITS SIMPLE AND EASY. IM BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS ANSWER FOR YEARS. HOPEFULLY IT HELPS YOU GUYS AS WELL. IF YOUR PARTNER HAS H PYLORI CHANCES ARE YOU DO AS WELL. YOUR SALIVA OR HIS WILL CAUSE THE INECTION
I know natural yogurt helps balance the bacteria in the vagina and also gets rid of the horrid smell. Me and my boyfriend have this issue when I have finished my period and we have intercourse. Every time. I use a tampon dip it in organic yogurt take out two hours later and repeat again and shower very well there's no scent at all and ur natural smell comes back. Hope that helps.
Hey. When I got married at 22 I was a virgin too and a similar thing happened to me. Its really just you body having a reaction to sudden and constant sexual activity, like your vagina going into shock. Unfortunately no one tells us the negative side effects of "saving it for marriage". You actually really need to see your doc and just deal with the embarrassment of it all. They can tell you if it's bacterial or fungal and prescibe what you need. That's what I did and no more probs after that.
The semen has decade and is working its way out of the body
It sounds like vaginitis. Its when bacteria gets into the vagina. go to your doctor and they will prescribe an antibiotic.  Its really the only thing that will clear it up. Make sure your husband washes his penis before sex if he is real sweaty or has been working all day, if you have anal sex its very important not to have the penis enter the vagina directly after.  Im a nurse, this is a VERY common condition and you shouldnt feel embarrassed at all.
I had sex for the first time and I am 17 years old. My boyfriend was not a virgin. We had sex without a condom. Later on that day, my stomach started hurting. The day after my side started hurting so I took something, it went away but now I have a fishy smell, down below. I washed really good and I just don't understand why I have that smell. Is it common? Should I go to the doctor? If it is common, what should I do to get rid of it ?
I want to know after my pregnant girlfriend went out to eat and came home get vagina was leaking an odorless liquid. She said discharge from the baby. Would it be odorless if it is *** or would I be able to smell it. Would it smell the next day.