vaginal ulcers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

vaginal ulcers

hello everyone, instead of an outright question, i have more of a discussion topic or rather just spreading awareness of the subject. Recently, (about 4 days ago) my boyfriend and I began to explore more sexually. It has been six months into our relationship and I felt like it was the right time to move forward, so I let him finger me. At first, it was painful since I had never done it before, but I felt more comfortable the longer he did it. The next day I felt very sore and almost as if I had a tear in the lower part of my vagina, I thought not too much of it and assumed it would heal like a normal wound and I carried out my usual day. That weekend, I went to the beach and got in a hot tub and swam in a swimming pool thinking nothing of the tear that happened a couple of days ago. But now my vagina and the area around it is inflamed with an ulcer at the exact place I felt a tear. Naturally, being the worry wart I am, i researched genital herpes and any other causes of vaginal sores and ulcers and came to the conclusion to share it with my parents and see a doctor. Since I am not sexually active (a virgin, even) I just knew I could not have genital herpes, or any other STD for that matter and was confident it was a bacterial infection. As it turns out, the doctor diagnosed me with genital herpes. I contracted it from the hot tub water which infected my tear. I was completely unaware of the fact that you could contract STDS from hot tub or swimming pool water having the tiniest cut. I found out that even you can contract it from someone who has as much as a coldsore sitting in the same water. I'm completely shocked and worried about how to carry on my life considering I'm such a young age. I just wanted to warn those out there that it is possible to contract terrible diseases through even something as this, not just by having any intercourse or oral sex. Be careful everyone, the smallest decisions can affect your life forever.