vulva hot, stinging and burning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

vulva hot, stinging and burning

I'm posting here because I really am at my wits end and hope maybe peple will have some suggestions as to what is going on with me! For the past year, I have been experiencing burning and stinging in my vulva (which is NOT made worse by peeing), which comes and goes but can last for over a month and is extremely uncomfortable. The area looks normal, and there is no unusual discharge. The last time I had these symptoms was in March - they came on suddenly with a stinging sensation, and lasted for 6 weeks. During this time, I was tested for all STDs (all negative), tested for bacterial infections (negative) and treated repeatedly for thrush (even though all lab tests came back negative). Eventually, the symptoms eased on their own. I dont use chemical irritants etc so dont think thats the problem. My symptoms returned 5 weeks ago - again, all tests are negative, I was treated again for thrush (no relief, and lab test came back negative).

Could the repeated topical thrush treatment have made things worse? Also, I've heard of conditions called lactobacilliosis and cytolytic vaginosis (overgrowth of lactobacilli). My symptoms do not appear to be related to my menstrual cycle - there is no particular pattern - but could overgrowth of lactobacilli still be my problem? I would like to hear from anyone who has suffered from lactobacilli overgrowth.

Sorry for the long post but I really would appreciate some advice!
I've also heard of cytolytic vaginosis, although many doctors don't believe in the diagnosis. I guess it depends on who you see ;-)

If you're experiencing this pain/burning in your vulva, you might want to do a search on vulvar vestibulitis. I'd also suggest seeing a pelvic pain specialist - they're tough to find, but definitely worth the effort :-)
Thanks Monkeyflower, I know I dont have vestibulitis because I dont have any pain to touch, and also I dont have painful intercourse...its more a sensation, rather than something that hurts to touch.

I went to another gyno and he seemed confused, as did all the others! He said the only thing he can see is a cervical etropion (previously caused cervical erosion), probably caused by long term pill use, and that we should treat that as it could be the cause. But I'm not very confident about this - I've heard that a cervical etropion is usually left alone because it only causes excess normal discharge and no discomfort. Has anyone got any comments about this?

I've also been reading about vulvodynia, and wonder if this is what I have - but vulvodynia seems to cause pain during intercourse, which I don't have. Just a burning, stinging sensation...mostly just uncomfortable, but can get quite painful as the day goes on.

Anyone got any ideas, experience with these symptoms? I would be so grateful to hear from people, I'm feeling quite worried about it all!
You might try looking into a low oxalate diet.  I had problems with pain/itching labia, and keeping my oxalate intake on the lower side helped me.
I have a similar condition that has taken me YEARS to properly diagnose-- on my own (doctors were clueless)! It is most likely LB or CV and requires a 7 day treatment with Augmentin 500 mg or bicarbonate sitz baths.   Hopefully this site will clarify things for you.  

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijanp/vol6n1/vaginosis.xml
Thanks for the site dreamspirit, its really helpful. I'm going to see a different gyno soon as my other one didnt believe that these conditions exist, lets hope I get somewhere with my new one! Can you tell me about your symptoms? The thing I'm worried about is that the site says that LB and CV are always cyclic - the symptoms are worse just before your period and then they disappear during your period. Do you know if that is always the case? Because my symptoms don't deem to be related to my cycle - they certainly don't disappear with my period. So could it still be LB or CV? I just want these horrible symptoms to go away!!
Sunflower, I current am experiencing the same symptoms as you. Did you ever find out what was wrong or treatment for this horribly irritating condition???
Im currently experiencing the same symptoms as well!  does anybody know what could cause this?

I used monistat 1 to get rid of a yeast infection 2 months ago.... and the yeast is now gone apparentally... but i have this horrible burning almost itchy feelling in the whole area.  It doesn't hurt to have sex or to touch... its just a sensation as you said that gets worse as the day goes on!!
Same here. I can't sleep at night, because I'm having so much discomfort. Like blinkchic38 said, it gets worse as the day goes on.  However, I believe I have generalized vulvodynia. There are two main types of vulvodynia:

Generalized vulvodynia is pain in different areas of the vulva at different times. Vulvar pain may be constant or occur every once in a while. Touch or pressure may or may not prompt it. But this may make the pain worse.
Vulvar vestibulitis syndrome is pain in the vestibule. This is the entrance to the vagina. Often a burning sensation, this type of vulvar pain comes on only after touch or pressure, such as during intercourse.

There is a lot information here: http://women.webmd.com/vulvodynia

So perhaps, Sunflower 22, you have generalized vulvodynia, which is not necessarily prompted by touch or pressure
Um, question... I was on website that discussed Lactobacillosis, and it said that Vulvodynia could be a symptom of Lactobacillosis, Cytolytic vaginosis, Candidal vaginitis, Bacterial vaginosis or vaginal dysbacteriosis.

Does anyone know if Vulvodynia is an ailment all by itself, or if its just a symptom of something else?

Moreover, I do find that my discomfort often starts up and worsens before my period starts. However, this month the pain was not alleviated during my period, and only got worse after it ended.

I hope we can all figure out what's going on, and are able do something about it, cause I need to sleep at night instead of having not other thought in my head except the brining sensation.
ive also been suffering with pain..stinging..burning sensation..my gp said there is a bit of inflamation (inflammation) there but she couldnt see anything untoward...i have had a few gynea problems recently (i had a ring fitted for a cystecele and i had a severe allergic reaction to the ring and ended up in A/E  to  have it removed)  and i put it down to the fact i havent healed properly but it was  so uncomfortable i couldnt even wear knickers...so i saw my gp  she prescribed  some steriod cream to use and i have to go back to see her in 2weeks...i have used the cream since friday (3dys) and there is a slight difference she also said it may be lichen sclerosus

http://www.lichensclerosus.org/

hope this info helps...
                                  dollie
I too have been suffering from the same exact symptoms as Sunflower22 since Nov. 2008.  It is now May 2009.  I too had diagnosed myself with vulvodynia but was told by 3 doctors that I didn't have it because there was no pain to touch. I was however diagnosed with vulvar dysplasia after a skin biopsy.  It is the same as cervical dysplasia except its in the vulvar area.  The Doctor feels this may have been the cause of the vulvar burning.  I had the adnormal cells removed 2 days ago and I haven't felt any burning so far as of yet and I'm praying that this is the end of that, although I do feel irritation at vaginal entry site.  I will update with more as I proceed with the healing process.  But Lady's do be aware of this disease it is rare and really shocked me because I only thought dysplasia was in the cervix.  It is however a strain of HPV.  I am married and have been with my husband for 13yrs so I haven't been living a promiscuious life style.  I guess its just one of those things that happens.
It is now 2 weeks after my surgerty and I'm still having the burning so obviously vulvar dysplasia wasn't the problem..So if anyone has found relief from this painful condition please share it.  
I have had this burning sensation for months, and it is the most irritating thing.  I do not know what it is.  I had a bladder infection in march and it cleared up for a little bit then it came back also with a burning sensation.  Could it be the birth control im taking? or I think i could be allergic to certain foods.  It just makes me upset because I want this to go away!
I have had burning,stinging,itching off and on since I was 20. I am now 43. Along with these sypmtoms come a strong vaginal  odor,and alot of watery discharge, either clear or milky. Sometimes it is thicker and whiter. I also, get cramping and sharp pains if not treated with antibiotics and yeast meds.I know this is weird, but the taste of my discharge becomes bitter. After treatment of oral clindamycin and diflucan all my symptoms are relieved, sometimes for along time. I had read an article many yrs ago about chronic BV . I was first diagnosed with BV when I was 20, but I had no symptoms. Most of the time, doctors say they don't see any infection, but treat me any ways for BV because it does relieve my symptoms. I have been on on metrogel, 2 times a week,vaginally. I have not be reliable on the 2 times a week and have come down with my symptoms 2 times. Now the doctor has put me on diflucan, 1, every week for 12 weeks. I'm curious to see if this works. I have had a total hyestrectomy a few yrs ago, so its not related to my cycles. I cannot take hormones, but this really doesn't seem to make a difference to my symptoms. I am a nurse, so I have tested out every possible allergic cause I can think of. I am glad to find other women who suffer from the same symptoms. I hope we can figure it out. As for my history, I have had HPV ,in my young twenties I had cervical dysplasia and in my early thirties I had to have some warts removed. I test negative for HPV now. I also have intersticial cystitis and spina bifida occulta. I test negative for STD's and have not been sexually active for a few yrs. If the new treatment doesn't work, I am going to ask for a biopsy.
Just found this website i also have this burning sensation because i have vulvar dysplasia and have already had 3 biopsies for it. My last one showed me as having VIN2 which my oncologist/gyno wanted me to use ALDARA Cream for 3 months, I tried it but i couldnt function with all the side effects, So after much reading  as much as i could find on HPV and VIN i started taking the supplement DIM, thought it was helping some but now I have the burning back again and am afraid I will have to go in and have another biopsy again. I hate this. How come so many of us never heard of this before. I have been with my husband  for over 20 yrs now so Like others on here i never slept around either.
Anyone else using or heard of this supplement called DIM.
This is a very interesting subject. Thank you for posting it Sunflower.  

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the pap tests we go in for (just a thought).  

The reason I say this is because I have suffered that burning sensation on and off for years (ever since the day I received my very first pap smear).  It seems worse a week before my period and stops when my period begins.  I've had gyno check up and tests performed during it and found to have no std's, no yeast infections, no vaginal / bacterial infections.  Skin in vulva / vagina looks very good, clean and healthy.  Discharge is normal, natural and healthy. Doctors cannot see any problems nor abnormalities.  Hormones all within normal range.

But again, the very first time I felt this burning sensation was at the very moment the doctor did my very first pap smear and I continued to burn for days afterward.  This is many years later now and I still encounter that burning problem on and off.

So, this is just a thought.  I'm wondering if its possible pap smears can sometimes cause a permanant irritaion problem in the area where they are removing cells to have checked?
I am feeling the same as everyone else........getting the run around by drs....uruologist....god help us all....this burning keeps me at wits end and puts me in bad moods....I can't be me and feel free....this seems to take over my life sometimes....I am going to a woman specialist on Aug. 24 at a womans hospital in Pittsburgh.......god help me.....I will let all know.....wish us all luck  :-)
I am so happy to not be alone.  Five weeks ago I started with this burning/raw sensation.  Went to my gyn and he did the culture to check for bacteria (nothing).  Went back, he did a biopsy to check for dysplasia and put me on Topicort cream.  Could not handle the cream at all, made things 100% worse.  Biopsy results all came back benign, so he has me using A&D ointment.  Seems to help with the burning factor as long as there isn't much rubbing in the area.  Going back on Monday for full test results.  Out of all the different things it could be, does anyone know if these uncomfortable feelings ever go away?  Is it always going to be a matter of just treating the symptoms but no real "cure"?  I'm going a little crazy as all my attention and focus is on my crotch!
I have the same symptoms as you all -- intense burning just before my period and continues until a few days after my period ends.  All tests come back negative.  This has been going on for YEARS and my OB/GYN got annoyed with me so I quit him.  I had 2 other docs say I had IC (interstichal cystits) but when they looked at the inside of my bladder it was perfectly healthy.  I have a med. chest FULL of creams that don't work.  How can this be happening to so many women and the docs be so clueless and quick to give up?
i last posted on this thread in may....i have had a few years of this suffering and no end of examinations for the doctors to find nothing wrong...after a lot of investigations on the net by myself i found the info i needed and went to my doctor to ask if i have VAGINAL ATROPHY and she said yes...at last a diagnosis..she wanted me to go and have an investigation at the hospital and i said no way as ive been poked and prodded for months and i have had enough...she would not prescribe any hormonalproducts as she said there is a high risk of cancer so i asked her for some REPLENS...she gave me a prescription amd said it wont do any good you...well i have been using repelns now for a few months i use it every other day and the difference is unbelievable...VAGINAL ATROPHY is a normal thing to happen to menopausel women and it can happen to any woman..why the hell these doctors dont know this is beyond me..in the uk REPLENS can be prescribed by the doctor which helps if you get free prescriptions or it can be bought over the counter...

Vaginal Atrophy: vaginal dryness, soreness and painful sex
Without the production of oestrogen by the ovaries, the skin and support tissues of the vulva ("lips") and vagina become thin and less elastic. This is an inevitable consequence of the menopause and the majority of women will experience some form of symptoms. Vaginal dryness is commonly the first reported symptom. This is due to a reduction in the production of mucus by the glands of the vagina.

Thinning of the vaginal and vulval skin can follow, which in turn makes them more easily damaged. This damage can occur more so during sex, especially if lubrication is also poor and even quite gentle friction can cause pain and discomfort. If the vulval lips are thin and dry, they can often rub on underwear causing soreness. Many women also dislike the outward changes in the appearance of the vulva (lips) as they lose their plumpness. It is not unusual that for many women, sex becomes difficult, painful, and of course unwelcome!

Alteration in the normal vaginal discharge is something noticed by most women after the menopause and also rarely discussed. Without oestrogen the pH (acidity) of the vaginal secretions changes and the normal discharge becomes more alkaline (like caustic soda!). This pH affects the balance of the micro-organisms in the natural secretions which in turn suppresses the normal levels of "good" bacteria (lactobacillus). The discharge changes in nature, becoming watery, discoloured and slightly smelly. This often leads to vaginal burning and vulval irritation.

Some seek advice from specialist clinics but most just worry and don't ask for help. Because of this relationships can sadly suffer and this is all completely unnecessary.

Management of vaginal atrophy
Some options that may help include:

Avoidance of soaps to wash with (perhaps replacing with aqueous cream, available from most pharmacies).
Treatment of underlying skin problems with topical creams , often after guidance by a specialist and perhaps skin-biopsy.
Treatment of altered vaginal flora with appropriate antibiotics (often after an examination). This is short-term and may be administered by mouth or sometimes directly into the vagina. This treatment may need to be repeated.
Local oestrogen therapy. It is now well recognised that low doses of oestrogen therapy, delivered locally in the vagina, can be effective (see box below)

These treatments are effective and acceptable and unlike the conventional form of HRT, the effects are local therefore the risk of systemic side effects are reduced.

Local oestrogen therapy
Vaginal dryness, soreness, burning, vulval irritation and chafing can all respond well to local oestrogen treatments. This can also help greatly with discomfort, pain during sex, correcting the vaginal pH and stopping the overgrowth of abnormal vaginal flora.

Local low dose treatment with oestrogen has been found to have significant effect on the postmenopausal urogenital symptoms related to atrophy.5

Oestrogen delivered locally can be in the form of:

Vaginal tablets or pessary: initially taken daily, then as advised
Creams: taken daily initially, then as advised
Vaginal silica ring: inserted for a 3-month period

Pelvic floor changes and prolapse
Many postmenopausal women become aware of ballooning or bulging of the walls inside the vagina, or even of a feeling of descent of the neck of the womb. Others simply experience a generalised pelvic dragging sensation. About half of post-menopausal women are found to have weakening of the front wall of the vagina (anterior vaginal wall prolapse); about a quarter have similar problems with the back (posterior) wall, and one-fifth with the highest part of the vagina.4

The muscles and ligaments of the pelvic floor (which should normally support the womb, bladder and other organs like a trampoline) are also oestrogen-sensitive, and changes in collagen, due to oestrogen deficiency, have a profound effect on the support mechanisms of the pelvic floor.

The protective covering of the clitoris is often affected by the changes in the collagen of the vulval skin, and the clitoris itself can become sore and traumatised. These skin changes are often so profound that genuine skin conditions emerge ("dermatoses"), and may need separate treatment.

Lower urinary tract symptoms
As they get older many women may find they have problems with their urinary tract ("water-works").

Some suffer from genuine stress incontinence, which is leaking of urine on coughing, sneezing or jumping, for instance. There is still a lot of debate about whether this is direct result of the loss of oestrogen after the menopause.

Urge incontinence is even less commonly referred, some postmenopausal women have difficulty "holding on" once they sense that they need to empty their bladder. They may also leak and start to pass urine before they can get to the toilet.

Other associated symptoms of the overactive bladder include frequency (recurrent need to pass urine) and nocturia (need to pass urine at night leading to recurrent wakening). Some women also feel they need to pass urine, having only just done so. All these may be connected to over activity of the muscle surrounding the bladder.

Recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs)
This is another form of "waterworks" problem that affects women of all ages, but increases with age with many elderly women being particularly troubled.

Website: www.womens-health-concern.org

...

It sounds to me like quite a few of you may have Cytolytic Vaginosis which is caused by too much lactobacilli in the vagina. Especially those of you who have increased symptoms before your period which are temporarily relieved afterwards.

A good article about it here:
http://www.encognitive.com/node/6031

The good news is that it can be treated easily with baking soda sitz baths and laying off of tampons for a bit. It can also be diagnosed with a wet prep by your doctor but I would recommend treating it naturally by yourself first to see if it cures it. And if you are taking lactobacilli acidopholis and/or eating probiotic yogurt, stop now.

Hope this helps.
HI sunflower22
Ive been experiencing the same syptoms (symptoms) for 3 weeks, its so sore to wee. I dread going to the toilet!
oooooooooooh what to do. Im going to the dr on Monday, she will give me thrush treatment like she did before. Its a pain in the arse.

Good luck babe -
i just wanna get fixed! xxx
hello everyone, I have had vuval burning for 4 1/2 years so i know what its like. Here in th uk its hard to find a doctor that unserstands, Some days its hard to carry on as you feel so uncomfortable. Its not really something you can really discuss

My name is Rosita Perez , I’m a Chilean woman and  one of Dr. Ricardo Espinoza’s patient, from Clínica Las Condes. I am 33 years old. I am  contacting you because I want to know your experience about this following item and if you could   give me some  recommendations on this respect.

The clinical case is about myself , I am a medical doctor too.

I’m a healthy woman, without pathologies. With history since  8 years ago, characterized by augmentation of cyclic white vaginal discharge, associated to pruritus, burning, dyspareunia, vulvar erythema and vulvovaginal pain. Since the onset of symptoms and the first consult, I was treated at any times by recurrent candidiasis vulvovaginal (diagnosticated basicly by the clinics findings), without confirmation with laboratory exams or cultures. Through the years, I have visited three or four gynecologists, and all of them gave me the same diagnosis and similar treatments, even with locals or systemic antimycotics or in an association with antibiotics, for a short time. Also, I was chronic user of acidophilus supplements which contains lactobacilli, to increase my vaginal flora after this multiple treatments.

I’ve been a patient at Clínica las Condes for a year. In this center, after many exams, including PCR and common and fungal cultures, with results  always negative I was diagnosed with an excess of lactobacilli (lactobacilocis) or cytolytic vaginosis, according to clinical and microbiological findings, without fungal growth, which  may be responsable for all my symptoms described previously, due to a vaginal hyperacidity and cellular lysis. I have also a vaginal biopsy, for several vaginal zones, which is normal. I was treated with amoxicillin 500 mg twice a day, for seven days, with a good response. After treatment, I had recurrence of symptoms, almost immediately. Also, I have been with daily sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) vaginal douches (descript by the literature), without a good  response.

I need help!!!!!!!!!!!
I am crying as I read all these posts. I am getting divorced, this happened in the last 6 months, and now that I am just 5 weeks from being a free woman after 8 yrs with this man, i have these same burning, painful, stinging feelings and I have not had them before.  I want to be able to move on and as of these last 4 weeks, I feel that I will never want or be able to have sex again.  Everything burns, the Doc told me she saw yeast on 12-2, diflucan, and the otc vuvla cream.. moinstat, which I used once or twice a year when I had yeast infections since I was about 20.  It stung everything and the diflucan fixed nothing.
I went back and asked for an std test, i have been seeing 2 guys for the last 2 months, since my soon to be ex husband is out of the pic.  clamidia and gonorhea both negative, but the Dr had given me a Zithromax pack just in case and some more potent yeast infection cream.  The cream hurt bad and the Zpack did nothing.
I went to my OBGYN and she too did another pelvic exam, said all looked normal, but very bright red and raw, said to use otc Cortizone ointment so it would heal, she thinks i may be allergic to the white base creams now, but i never was before. I did that for a week, nothing.  
She called in a prescription for Desonide. I use it once a night at bed time, its a low dose steroid.  No help. I found that drinking makes the pain stop. Its bad, I know, but 3 glasses of wine and I don't notice anymore... I have been drinking each night so I don't feel it. I use the Cortizone cream during the day.  I have a cold washcloth and frozen veggies on my crotch now.  The skin outside hurts all around and the vaginal opening stings and its red sometimes and pink sometimes and it does not hurt to pee and my discharge is the same as it always is... and I have been trying to take Aleve during the day, it seems to help a bit.  
Sorry that I am rambling, but I am suffering and i cant think about anything but my crotch for weeks now, and i hate it. i hate it and i know all of you do as well.   I dont know why we hurt, and it seems, neither does anyone else. I bought burn gel tonight, its has 2.5% lidocaine in it and it numbs the area of a burn, I may use it and see what happens, it was a suggestion to help the pain of vulvondia on a site, its OTC and I got it at Walmart for $5.  I had sex 3 times since this started, it doesnt hurt inside, and i got very wet 2times and used ky once (KY never burned, and now burns, my own spit still worked though) but the whole vulva hurts bad the next day.  I have another appt with my OBGYN on 1-6, she is on vacation now.  I will ask if I can have local estrogen and i don't care what it is, but i want something to numb it all so I can run again.  Unit 3 weeks ago i ran 3-10 miles each day and now it hurts to walk or sit in any pants and I feel awful about myself and my health all around.  Please, if anyone has had good luck with ANYTHING let us know. I can believe we have Viagra to get old white guys up at 60, but no one can figure out how to alleviate the horrible pain, burning, and stinging us women end up with.. I am 27, I have my whole like ahead... I need this to stop hurting!
I have same burning problem from past 3 months. Every thing looks good. All tests come out negative. Now the GYN gave me medication for Valvodynia but those didn't help inturn made me drowsy and constipated whole day. I stopped taking the mdication, need to call GYN or look for a specialist.
Hope we all get help.
HI!
I am 19 years old and experiencing symptoms a lot like some of yours. In February of 2009 i experienced a severe burning, irritating, discomfort inside and around my vagina that lasted for about 2 weeks, it was not just after sex, it was 24/7, although since i can remember i have experience pain during sex and after sex. I was tested positive for Chlamidia and treated with the long course tablets instead of the one tablet you take. I believe it was not the chlamida causing this discomfort just a coincidence that this was discovered due to complaining about that area, i also had my first papsmere after being sexually active since i was 14, this showed slight irregularity in my (cells) that they werent worried about and said it was normal for younger people to have. I have only had 2 sexual partners as i have been with my bf for 4 years. Anyway after the 2 weeks this constant pain went away. In August of 2009 this pain just came back like that i woke up in the morning and there it was! Hasn't stopped since so i have had this constant burning feeling for 5 months straight, i have been tested for many things like UTI's, STD's everything coming back negative, I have been seeing a urologist, had ultrasounds and nothing has come back, my doctor put me on ENDEP about 2 months ago and does not seem to be working. Just making me extremely exhausted. I am on YASMIN birth control and have been since i was 13 (for my periods and skin) This is making me extremely stressed and depressed, i don't want to do anything, its taking over my life i am even unable to work. I JUST WANT TO BE FIXED!! My mum thinks it could have something to do with stress as i have just got out of the 4 year relationship (very messy ending). Please Help me, if anyone has had these same symptoms and have found a cure pleaseee let me know, i am desperate to start living my life again.

Also i have had UTI's before, and the feeling you get when you are peeing is the feeling i have 24/7 and sometimes going to the toilet does agravate the pain a little.

Thanks.

I posted on here a couple months ago, and with the same intense horrible pain that wouldn't go away no matter what my doctors gave me. I am still not very sure what's wrong with me, but I am tempted to believe it's bacterial, because I started finding some relief one day when I went to my brother's house and there was no tissue in the bathroom because the roll had just finished. So, I looked under the sink and found some "Wash n' Dri Moist Disposable Toilettes". It said "Gentle to Skin" and I wasn't seeing any other options, so I used it to wipe myself.

I noticed that the burning began to lessen in the next few hours. the next time I went to the bathroom, I realized that I had again forgotten to get a new roll of tissue, and used a towelette again... I used like 3-4 over the course of the weekend, and by the end of it, found the pain had diminished to almost nothing. Anyway, that lasted for 5 weeks, being pain free I mean.

The pain did come back, but I keep a few moist towelettes on hand to keep it from escalating to unbearable. I also take lactobacillus acidophilus (probably spelled that wrong) pills on and off. Like someone posted before, too many of those pills can cause a problem, but I take them every now and again if I ever notice any weird discharge or anything, and I've been living relatively pain free for the past few months. And I don't know how smart it is to use those towelettes down there, so I rarely use it. Only if the twinge pain I get every now and again seems like it will become a problem.

Since those anti-bacterial towelettes helped so much, I'm thinking the problem was bacterial and so this may not help many of you. But I wanted to post something, since I did find a way to control the pain and live my life without it being centered around my vagina. I have most days and hours unhindered by pain these days, and most of my pain these days are just twinges here and there. And if I get them, I just start taking the acidophilus pills for a week.

Also, I don't use tampons. I wear only cotton underwear, and I wash those underwears in "All Clear" which has no dyes or anything. That seemed to really help as well.

Hope this helps someone.
Hi everyone
I landed up on this page for the same reason as everyone else!
It seems there are several things that could cause vulval burning.
Mine started a year ago when I had abnormal bleeding and precancerous cells.  They put a progesterone based Mirena Coil in to deal with those problems.

I have found something that helped me.  It took about a day and a half.  I don't know if it will help in the long term.  All I can say is that it has seemed to sort my problem out.  I'll tell you what I did.

I put 400ml of cool boiled water into a jug.
Then I added one teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda and
Two drops of Lavender Pure Essential Oil and stirred it well.
(In summer I would refrigerate this, but not in the freezing winter we are having)

Lavender oil is supposed to be soothing and mildly antiseptic.  If that hadn't worked I think I would have tried calendula and camomile.

For the first time, I dipped a clean cloth in the mixture and applied it to the sore bit, but that was too messy, no matter how much I wrung the cloth out.  So I put the mixture and a stack of clean cloths in the bathroom and applied some every time I went in there.

The burning and itching have gone, but not straight away. It took a day and a half.  I don't know if it will come back.  I don't know if this recipe will help anyone, but I hope it does, cos its a really nasty problem to have.
Am looking into this for the first time - and do agree that this isn't the kind of thing you can easily discuss with people... :(
My experience is: my vulva area has always been extremely senstitive, I don't like direct touch, wearing tight fitting trousers etc. I experience a burning sensation which builds up over days, also causing me to cramp "inside" and stops me from sleeping/concentrating etc. I do get a lot of discharge most of the time - but I think this might be related to sexual excitement. And here's a controversial idea for you, ladies: I believe these feelings are caused by sexual tension as they (for me) completely relieved by masturbation (and to a lesser extent by sexual relations with my husband...)! Then it takes about 3 days to build up to the point where the symptoms really start to bug me again...! Has anyone experienced anything like this - or care to try this "remedy" & report back?
It's probably the case that this is caused by a variety of reasons - but I am 40 now and have had this since I was in my late teens...
I just started having the same problems since December 3 2009 while I was was on vacation in Florida (the last time I was on vacation in Florida it did the same thing but didn't last very long when I arrived back home in Canada it stopped, while I was in Florida in December I was given a perscribtion Hydrocortisone cream , I used it for at least a week, after the 3rd day it was cleared up, my husband and I had intercourse for several days after that, then suddenly the symptons re-appeared again, I tried the Hydro. cream again this time it just burned severelly , I went back to the Doctors , I was given Estrance cream , 3 other types of steriod creams , antibiotics vaginal and orally, had every test from STD , to every vaginal yeast infection etc... all came back negative, I had seen 6 doctors , 2 GYN while I was there in Florida, now I can't even apply KY gel, , I tried Replense , nothing works because the burning gets more intense , unbearable. as everyone on here I am at my wits end, I don't even want to wake up anymore . I can't put nothing , literally nothing down there , my family doctor is just as confused , he thinks its an allegery , because when I had applied the replens gel and after intense burning for 2 straight days steady , the following day I felt normal in a long time for 1 day and a half, then suddenly the symptons came back again. My doctor said that it will get better because it went away for a little while almost 2 days , I am so confused and really depressed , all I know I told my doctor I can't deal with this much longer , he had given me Norax , an anti  inflammatory pill, and now pain killers and anxiety pills, I told him but thtas not cure the problem its just putting a bandaid on it, I am waiting on an appointment to see a GYN , as I have been reading everone log , it wouldn't make a difference . I have no life , I can't even get dressed and go anywhere. I am 46 yeras old and going through post-mentopause . Do anyone here have any positive results , is there hope. Desperate.
Try Estroven - a dietary supplement, now with vitamins and calcium, but no estrogen.
I have had all the same symptoms with no relief, have seen many doctors, have done all the smears and tests and various treatments with no avail.  Use this faithfully for
a few weeks as directed.  It's works for me as long as I use it daily.  Six years later and now menopausal....it still works.  It's good for bone care also.  Women of all ages  can use it (see insert).  I am no longer suffering...and it WAS pure suffering.

I pray it helps you as well!
Ladies, my daughter struggled with these same symptoms for the longest time, but then discovered (mostly on her own) that her vagina was too acidic (not too alcoline, which is what happens when you have a yeast infection).  In other words, being treated for yeast infections was actually pushing her vaginal ph balance in the opposite direction, making her problems worse!  The term for what my daughter suffers from is called cytolytic vaginosis, and it means that the vagina is too acidic and actually doesn't have enough yeast.  When the vagina is too acidic, there can be a proliferation of the normal bacteria (the same vaginal bacteria that usually called "good" bacteria, which is kept in balance with the normal yeast of the vagina). This over abundance of good bacteria is what causes the discharge and the discomfort.  It's not a bacterial infection like we are used to being warned about, so it doesn't have greenish discharge or smells fishy.  Instead, the usual balance between our normal levels of yeast and good bacteria somehow gets upset (this can happen during ovulation, or after having something foreign in the vagina like semen or a lubricant), and then the good bacteria growth gets way out of hand.  If you Google "cytolytic vaginosis", you will only see one article that can be found at this link: http://www.encognitive.com/node/6031
This article says it all!  It's a strange wonder that more gynos don't know about this problem, but studies have shown that it affects many women who think they are having a yeast infection!  There is a simple way to return the vagina back to normal ph:  douche with baking soda or use a baking soda sitz bath.  To use a sitz bath, mix 2 to 4 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 to 2 inches of warm water, and sit in this for about 15 to 20 minutes. The baking soda returns the vagina to a more balanced ph, rather than being too acidic.  Or you can douch using baking soda (directions say 1 to 2 times per week during symptoms) with a mixture of 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda with one pint of warm water.  Good luck, and hope this helps!!
OMG! You guys dont know how your stories have helped me. i have had frequent recurrent uti's for YRS! I was put on macrobid after sex, didnt work, macrobid everyday, didnt work! and then I started taking cipro and that really worked. But now I am 8 wks pregnant and have had what I thought was a UTI for 2 goin on 3 wks now!! I am going crazy!! I have taken every antibiotic known to man that is safe for a pregnant lady and no relief. i know that i was diagnosed w/ cytolytic vaginosis awhile back so I read up on it, but w/ being prgenant I dont know if it is the right diagnosis. I am going pregnancy crazy trying to figure this out. It is effecting my life and I can't do my job as well. Again, thank you all..it is sooo good to know that I am not alone. I pray for us all!
Everyone on here is right, there are so few articles on the internet, and most of these problems all sound like dermatitis.

I'm 20, australian, havve only been with 2 people (relationships) and for the last 5-6 months had constant to spontaneous burning and redness. NOTE: not itching. Been to 3 gynos, cannot find whats wrong and 2 of them before my current one just fobbed (it means got rid of) me, saying i was only bleeding and in so much pain from the pap smear..........although I was seeing them because i was ALREADY IN PAIN...and they said I need lubrication.

Months had gone by with no sex or anything of that activity. Burning symptoms continue. Gradually worse. Unbearable, stabbing pains in the vulva. Redness to the point of so much tenderness and burning that the skin is purple (from being so red). All herpes, thrust, pap and any infection swabs have come back negative time & time again.

I'm in a lot of pain and nothing is working. I've been booked in twice to have a biopsy done, the numbing cream I put on beforehand actually caused irritation and INCREASED BURNING, dialated the red blood cells (also no white blood cells found, definetely not infection) and the specialist said there was nowhere to really put the local anesthetic in, without giving me murderous pain (i was jumping off the seat in burning pain). So now I'm on the waiting list to be fast-tracked (pfft 3 months)  into hospital to go under general anesthetic to have a biopsy done.
That was today, and yesterday

In the previous 2-3 months I have been using ADVANTAN (fatty ointment topical)  and then Diprozone. it's my personal belief that different ointments and antibiotics work differently or better for others, just how the human body is.....the difficulty is diagnosing correctly.

I have considered/asked my gyno/then asked other gynos to inspect/then ask their opinion   if it is vulva dynia.  It is the only dermatitis I can say all the symptoms are correct. Unfortunately, the neuro-transmitter nerve fiber oral medication is extremely expensive, because I take Sertaline (for US thats generic brand of Zoloft)...so the 1st line treatment has side affects and drug interactions with the antidepressantst.

I honestly dont know what to do. I cant say if sex is painful because i cant even imagine it in this pain, but the last time I had it was november 2009 (3 months ago?) and I had to stop-mid way because of rediculous pain, reddness, burning.

The 1 article I found helpful was the one about the daughter having higher pH acid levels. Curiosly, in January 2009 i was successfully treated for bacteria vaginosis............ so she may be onto something. It would definetely explain the burning....

Somebody, if you have real advice, particularly if you're aussie then please write a reply :)   it used to be one of my favourite and best activities. and now all i can do is sulk about the pain until i get this freakin biopsy.  I'm okay with life handing me lemons, but I cant find the juicer to make lemonade.... :(
When i first went to the doctor to get this irriation checked out it came back that i had a yeast infection. But after 2 weeks of treatment and no relief i have been left clueless. I have been to 2 diffrent doctors and each one looks and tells me how normal and healthly it is. But it hurts! and that means its not healthly. I felt like they were just waiting for a blister to appear ( and to be honest i had been to) and would have been happy because it is taking over my life and i would have known and could have delt with it. I was suppose to be starting over in a new city and instead i have isolated myself to my house not wanting to talk to even my best friend because all i can think of is my crouch. As terrible as it is that all you ladies are experiencing this i am so glad not be alone and crazy. I tried the bath and am really hoping it works but at least this will give my next doctor a place to start. if anyone ever finds the cure please post!
I'm 59, had a complete hysterectomy in '98 and in the last 8 months, started to have wonderful sex again after many 'dry' years.  In fact, the first time trying brought me to tears from the pain ... so quickly took myself to my GYN who found a BV along with severe drying and thinning of vaginal walls ... (Vaginal atrophy)  Girls, if you don't use it you lose it.

Anyway, used the Metronidazon cream as directed for infection and also started using Premarin cream to try to help out that dryness and thin little walls.  Sex got better and better.  We use Albolene as a lubricant, no condoms, and lots of digital stimulation deep in my vagina.  We found my G-spot girls.  What a treat.  

But, over the last 4-6 months, have been experiencing burning in that area ... vagina ... ?  Bladder?  What all's down there?  I don't have any repro organs.  The pain is inside the frontal wall of vagina (around the g-spot area) in about a 2-3 inch radius.  Comes and goes but lately coming more and going less.  And, more intense buring pain, like a 6 to 7 on a scale of 10.  

Somthing interesting happended before the pain started months ago.  When having sex and lots of g-spot exploring one night, I felt amazing itching on OUTSIDE of area on surface of my skin.  It was intense itching that felt like it was coming from the inside out up through my skin to the surface.  Scratching didn't help.  Sometime after that I started experiencing this lower burning, burning pain which as I said, has increased.  

I have not been to my GYN and thought I'd do some research first and found this site.  Honestly, doesn't sound like our GYN's know too much, does it?  So, I hope I'm talking about the same stuff y'all are talking about.  

I like the idea of sitz baths and wine so far and plan to draw myself a bath and pour a little vino even though it's not even noon yet.  Let me know what you girls think about this.  Let's keep in touch.  I feel better just knowing y'all are out there.

Barb from Dallas
I, too, had a hysterctomy almost 3 years ago. for the last 1 1/2 years I've had this insane burning/hurting of the vulva. Mine will start out vaginally, then progress to meatus irritation, which makes me feel like I have to pee. I've been treated for yeast, BV, atrophic vaginitis, lichens sclerosis, you name it. I went to a urologist who did a cystoscopy for possible Interstitial Cystitis, but it came back negative. However, I went to a pelvic pain specialist recently who said he things I do have Interstitial Cystitis. Anyhow, long story short, you might want to check into Interstitial Cystitis, as it can cause all the symptoms you are describing. I'm not sure yet if I have that or not, as the specialists seem to be disagreeing, but, one thing I've read about IC is that alcohol makes it worse. Drawing a sitz bath sounds like a good idea, particularly with the baking soda, but I'd maybe skip the wine as it might be instigating your issues. Alas, I love a good glass of wine so I'm struggling with that one myself. Think I'll try to sitz bath though, might help. Funny, I got married last June (2009) and while we were in Jamaica, we were having sex 2-3 times a day. I didn't have any of this vaginal burning. It was completly gone. I come home and it returns. Wonder if the ocean water had anything to do with it?

Good luck and keep in touch. I wish we all could find a solution.

Shannon
WOW! Everything I just read here sounds so familiar. I too have been dealing with the same issues with the burning and uncomfortable sensation in the vulva area. I noticed that my symptoms started shortly after my 2nd biopsy which took place last year. I really am beginning to think that the biopsies are one of the main causes. What really upsets me is that I feel like it has really affected my sex life  with my husband.. I feel sore whenever we have sex, and my orgasms also appear to be more shallow since. It made me so angry that the doctors could not come up with a proper diagnosis or solution to the problem. I finally gave up and went to see a holistic practitioner who only works with natural alternative products. She diagnosed me with having an infestation of (candida, (yeast) throughout my body. I have been using her products and hope to see a difference. She also told me that all of the biopsies are not good, and that most of the time it will cause irritation. Many people have normal biopsies with healthy cells, but once they have had more then 1 or 2 done, then the unhealthy cells seem to start breeding. This woman is wonderful, and she has helped several people I know that have even more serious problems, so I trust her. I suggest that all of you find a qualified homeopath path local in your area. I really do not believe in having to do so many pap smears and biopsies. In my opinion, I feel worse since I have had them done. Sometimes the less you mess with things, then the better off you are.
I am another woman having the same burning sensation.  It's right outside of the opening of the vagina.  I can see an inch long very red strip of skin.  Went to the GYN and was told everything looked fine but she'd do some tests.  Well, came back that I had Bacterial Vaginosis (I'm sure the Dr was surprised because she pretty much dismissed my complaints at first).   But I had no classic symptoms of BV like discharge or odor.  Just this darn patch that burns.  She put me on a week of Clindamycin phoshate cream injected into the vagina.  But that didn't help.  Went back and they tested again and the BV was still positive.  So, she put me on Metronidazole pills 2x a day for 7 days and Metronidazole gel every night injected into the vagina.  Then the side effects started.  Constant headache, dizziness and feeling terrible.  Went off the pills after 3 days since these side effects are listed on the paperwork. But continued with the gel.  One more night to go and today the burning is back again.  It's never been terrible burning, just uncomfortable.  I also notice that just sitting causes my whole vulvar area to be compressed and uncomfortable.  Never noticed this before.  So now the GYN wants to do a biopsy.  Some people have posted that they've had this.  I'm wondering if it hurts or not.  Can anyone give me their experience with a biopsy down there?  The GYN said that after that she would look at my hormone levels (I'm 51 and post menopausal).  One thing that seemed to help the burning a bit was a hydrocortisone cream that the GYN prescribed.  But I don't want to use that while I'm still on the other gel.  Man, being a girl ***** sometimes!   Hope everyone finds an answer!
Hi everyone! Wow what a relief to find out that there are people who have the same problem!
I have had this burning sensation for 3 years now and I want to share my remedies with you girls as i know how life debilitating this can be.
First this that helped me was parsley tea. The grosest thing in he world but it did help me a little. Then the baking soda baths.
AND!!! The strangest thing! Relieving sexual tension helped SO MUCH!
I started having sex at least 6 times a week and the burning went away! I think mastrubation will help too.
Good luck to all of you!
It's really true that misery loves company especially when you are trying to find a solution.  My pain started with doing a Monistat 1 day that was horrific.  The pain was unbearable for the first day and a half and then my period started.  So after another week saw the gyno on call.  All tests negative.  Pain started getting bad and the vestibule area was red.  Called doc on call after I couldn't sit in the church pew - was given Cipro and diflucan.  Nothing changed so I saw my normal gyno and he said he thought there were papilloma and irritation maybe caused by yeast - gave me a cream and said it would be better in 3 days. WRONG.  Started to hurt when peeing - didn't want to wear pants, sit, etc. Went back got new cream-Betamethosone.  New cream didn't work so I increased the area I put it on.  Big mistake apparently was reacting to the propylene glycol in it.  Went back and had a biopsy which showed inflammation (most likely contact or allergic dermatitis).  Finally went to a derma. (both drs. did not think I had vulvodynia) got pramasone and allergra (she doesn' see the red irritation) and have had a roller coaster ride.  Some weeks good then some days bad.  I have also tried prednisone (didn' help) and bathing in an aquatic salt bath.  I called a vulvar specialist but at $1300 for an initial (non insurance) visit I decided to wait it out longer.  I truly believe that the problem is dermatological and started with the use of the horrific Monistat.  I am now taking Citracal to reduce the aciditiy in my urine and using a squirt bottle after urinating to remove any acidic urine.  Would love to hear from anyone else with a similar experience or perhaps help someone with some of my suggestions.
hi,
im experiencing burning , very hot around my vulvar skin and inner thighs as well. Im at my vits.. I'm getting frequent UTI also. Im currently being treated for E.coli. But this UTI is recurrent , whats making me very uncomfortable is vulvar skin burning and hot .The skin looks something abnormal also. Does anyone know wht it could be?

flower
hi ladies,
i have some good news for you guys....do not go for Allopathy..Go for ayurveda..it really works. ...see, pick up some neem leaves, and raw turmuric , grind well apply in the burning area....it really does wonders...neem is antifungal, antibecterial and turmeric as well... try this without fail...and in the morning time in empty stomach, have a little bit of neem juice...ur immune system gets better,...try and tell me...
I have the same thing and I want to know whats wrong with me! I went to the doctor and she just gave me an anit fungal that did nothing. For me it burns worse at night. Sometimes it'll go away for a couple days but i always comes back! It doesn't hurt to touch or from pressure, it doesn't hurt when I pee. It's just a terrible burning and I don't know what to do. help :(
Ladies, this is the most awful thing and my heart goes out to you all.  I have had this problem since October 2009.  It has been a roller coaster of hope and despair.  I am having difficulty taking care of my two boys, my job and my other responsibilities.

It started all with antibiotics for strep throat which led to recurrent yeast infection and diflucan treatments, I was also inserting garlic and taking probiotics and at some point I believe this turned into lactobacillosis/cytolytic vaginosis. I don't actually have a definitive diagnosis but my symptoms are very much in keeping with what I have read.  Burning around the opening of the vagina following urination, white odorless creamy discharge, slight redness and swelling, swelling and burning worst after sex (which I have not had much of in months).  I have been given BV treatment which made everything worst, I have tried waiting it out, all cotton underwear.

I only found out about LB/CV about a one and a half ago and I have been trying the baking soda sitz bath, then I moved on to the douches and finally have given in and am on 10 days of Doxycyclin (100mg twice per days). it's day 6 and no change. I am very desperate and fighting despair and depression.  I don't have depression as a history, this entire thing is making me depressed, I am withdrawing from people and not wanted to get out of bed because when I sleep is the greatest relief, also the burning gets worst as the day progresses.  My symptoms get worst before my period and resolve about 3 days into my period then slowing come back after my period ends.

I hope my sharing helps someone and I will post again to update on the Doxy treatment.  Oh I have gotten no worst on the antibiotic treatment and only slightly better.

I pray for relief and answers for you all.
Ok ladies, I hope this helps someone, I am now up to day 15 of the Doxycycline (100mg twice per day) and finally can report I feel 99% better, it was a very slow recovery, ten days I was just seeing results and it has improved continuously. I also started the baking soda sitz baths while taking the antibiotic because I needed some relief.

I am sharing this after 8 months of suffering because I know how awful this is, I am so grateful for the people who posted and I was able to learn from as I had to diagnose myself, and then take the print out and treatment recommendations to the Dr. to get help.

Regarding Lactobacillosis or Cytolytic Vaginosis, I am here to tell you they exist.
This started with a yeast infection, at some point turned into LB or CV (I never did get a clinical diagnosis).  I did respond well to the baking soda sitz baths and douches but they were on giving temporary relief for a day.

For those of you who have not been to the Dr. for a swab and wet prep and physical examination I encourage you to go because apparently many vaginal problems present in similar ways. I could have sworn for months that this was yeast and I was actually self treating and getting worse. Garlic, probiotics and antifungals make LB / CV worse, well it did for me.

Also I did have a wet prep swab come back positive for Bacterial Vaginosis (presence of clue cells) the metrogel treatment almost killed me, I was burning and in pain and swollen I had to stop after three days, it was a that point that I came across the information on LB /CV and it made sense to me.  I was not having any of the classic symptoms of bacterial vaginosis.

I had the classic burning around the opening of the vagina following urination, white, creamy discharge, no odor, vaginal burning, symptoms getting worse approaching my period and clearing up a few days into the period and then starting up again a few days after the period ends and getting progressively worse, burning worst at night, burning and swelling with intercourse.

Also please try to learn as much as you can while you work with a Dr. who will work with you.  I have been to two OB/GYNs, 1 general practitioner, I chinese healer and 1 Naturapath.  The GP was the most helpful.  My regular OB/GYN went the psychosomatic/stress route after he did all the STD test, pap etc and everything came back clean.

I hope this helps someone, I truly do, I almost lost my mind and it has only been 8 months.

With love and best wishes to you all.
I am posting this for everyone.  if you are suffering with vaginal burning or itching read about Terrasil, They have Terrasil max, Femisi. Its made by Aidance.  A Dr. recommended this to me for vaginal burning and says it works for itching and pain also.  I have not received my order as yet but I wanted to let you all know in case anyone is desperate for something to try, this may work for you.  Good luck and please don't give up.

I have finished the 21 days of doxy and I am so confused I can't even tell you, I felt good a the end but not 100% its sort of a wait and see at this point and I am definitely trying the Terrasil Max when I receive it.
Hi all,

I wanted to share some sympathy, some information, and possibly good news for some of you. I was experiencing crazy vaginal burning and itching that everything seemed to make worse, for about 8 weeks.  I finally found a gyn who knew what she was talking about.  First, she told me that the vagina was very sensitive and basically I'd been beating the hell out of it with all my attempts to treat what had been diagnosed as yeast, then UTI, then bacterial vaginosis (I now believe it was none of those).  She explained that all the antibiotics, creams, anti-fungals, etc. had irritated the hell out of me and I needed to stop all of it.  She also looked at my discharge under a microscope and said I had a lot of very long lactobacilli bacteria - diagnosis, cytolytic vaginosis.  The acidophilous pills and yogurt had probably also been making it worse.  The cure: she had me douche with water and 2 tablespoons of baking soda every other day for a couple of weeks and the problem went away (give it the two weeks!), and I got my life back to my enormous relief.  I've kept it at bay by occasionally repeating the douche for a day or two here or there, especially before my period (but not always), if the symptoms start to come back.  But EVEN IF THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE, know that that the real pain at this point may be largely from extreme irritation from all the creams, chemicals, scratching, washing, douching, etc.  I suggest stopping with ALL of it and looking for a gyn who can look at your discharge, test your pH, and who is familiar with many vaginal conditions besides the basic three (yeast, BV, trichomoniasis).  It'll probably take two weeks just for all the irritation to die down, which sounds interminable... but hope is really out there!

I also wanted to say that I had a different experience in my mid 20's that sounds like what some others of you may have.  I had a burning in my vulva that would flare up intensely, at first it happened when I got sexually excited and then it started happening every time I even thought about it, almost like it was triggered by my anxiety about it.  It was eventually diagnosed as vulvadynia, which didn't really help, due to lack of understanding of what that was.  I finally got on top of it mentally, by doing psychological relaxation when the pain would start.  I built on tiny successes, reminding myself each time that things were getting better and focusing on that fact to help me relax.  It became easier and easier to achieve this relaxing and eventually the pain left.  I realize this sounds very new-age, and in truth I don't really know to this day what was going on with me and why I could only make it go away with my mind, but since it sounds a little like what some of you have battled with, I thought I'd throw it out there.  The good news is I've been free from that pain (which I had for many years) for almost 20 years now.
Good luck to everybody!!
I too have the same thing and have had it for 3yrs.  Don't have a clue why but I am experimenting with some different things to see if any help.If they do I will post it.  The one thing I can tell you that helps is everytime I go to urinate I no longer wipe I pat dry and than I rinse with water and pat dry again.  I have found that wiping makes this worse and always wash after a bowl movement as I think this also adds to the problem.  I am curiouse to know if any of you have an Auto Immune problem or Fibromyalgia/Cronic Fatigue?  I know it may be difficult for you but do try some stretching of your pelvic area and some deep yoga breathing, no it does not make it go away but it will help ease the stress this has on your body and take it from me when the body stresses for long periods of time you set off a lot of unwanted problems.  I'll be intouch.
For about the past year I have had recurring itching which lead to extremely red and irritated skin in my genital region.  No vaginal problems, I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago.  I believe the irritation is from caffeine.  I believe that when I drink a caffeinated drink, then urinate, the caffeine makes my urine so acidic that it burns my skin.  I have greatly reduced the amount of caffeine, (almost to nothing) and my symptoms have disappeared.  I drank a Diet Mountain Dew everyday for years, and I believe I am now allergic to caffeine.  Try it ladies, get off the caffeine for a couple of weeks , drink a lot of water, and see if your symptoms are relieved.  Hope this helps.
I hope the no caffeine thing continues to go well for you.  It hasn't worked for me - been doing it since April -it's now July.  Like all of you, my sisters in pain, I have the well described symptoms.  I'm one of the lucky ones, though.  I'm 57.  My problems just started in March of this year. I do have pain with intercourse; however, with KY for sensitive skin it doesn't hurt after we "get busy.",  The symptoms are a little worse the next day, but the symptoms are a little worse some other days, too, so having sex is better than no sex.
I'm going to try the baking soda douches and maybe doxycycline.  My GP has been wonderful, but she overtly admits that she has no clue what is going to work.  We're still trying.  She currently has me on Premarin vaginally.  She says it will be four months before we can really tell if it helps.  I'm in month two, so I can't give you the final word on that.  Premarin would be a "do forever" thing if it does work.  
I have a urinary incontinence problem, too, that pre-exists the vulvic burning pain.  I'm trying the self-trainer machine for kegels to help with that.  
Knowing I am not alone helps me so much.  You know what, I think my mother may have had this thing years ago, although she never said anything about it to me.  I remember seeing odd medications appear on her bathroom counter when I was jn my twenties.  She's 83 now, and I do not think she has it anymore.  There are no "related" remedies on her counters now.  If she did, I feel very sorry for her suffering in silence and isolation.  She didn't have internet - she didn't have YOU - and all doctors in our town were men.

for those of you who have had itching and/or irritation for a long time please look up VIN and get your GYN to do a wash test.  I had vulva itching for 5 years and thought it was yeast or some sort of infection...the drs and gynos had no idea what was causing me so much grief...turns out I have stage 1 and 2 VIN

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Vulva/Pre-cancerousconditions/Vin.aspx#DynamicJumpMenuManager_6_Anchor_4
I've been dealing with this issue since February.  After many antibiotics, creams, estrogen,hydrocortisone,  a biopsy, etc. all to no avail and I'm still dealing with the burning vulva six months later.  I decided to leave my GYN (I now simply call her The B*tch)  and see a Naturopath.  The Naturopath has me taking Femdophilus 2x per day and inserting one each night along with some boric acid (for a week).  And she told me to ***** open a Vitamin E capsule and apply to the red area.  She also has me testing the pH of my vagina and it has been coming down to a more normal number.  So hopefully that means the good bacteria are taking over from the bad and starting to do their job.  But I still have this redness and burning right on the outside of the vagina.  I was thinking it was due to discharge irritating the area but don't know anymore.  Is it a symptom of the Bacterial Vaginosis?  From the way I sit with my legs crossed? A hormonal issue due to menopause?  Just want to cry sometimes.  I'm going to follow the Naturopath's advice about using the Femdophililus orally & vaginally for a month and then see where I am.  Considering the baking soda sitz baths.  Just want this to end.  Ugh!  Thanks for listening to me rant.  Good luck, everyone!
LOL, the board masked out the word pr*ck when I was referring to poking a hole in the Vitamin E capsule.  So funny.  
I am 58 years old, menopausal and recently have had occassional, severe burning on my vulva ... it is so severe it feels as if that area was painted with hydrochloric acid AFTER urination!  

I have NO discharge, NO smell, NO urgency to urinate, NO problem urinating, NO back pain & NO pain when I urinate.  This condition started about 2 months ago.  I have always taken good vitamins, do not 'do' drugs, have never smoked, and am in very good health.

About 2 years ago I was told I was 'just beginning' to go into menopause by my gyno.  I asked her how she could tell ...  she told me that a very small area on my cervix had lost it's flexibility and that this was a primary way they could determine menopause!

I have pretty much been a sugarholic most of my life and primarily consumed southern style iced tea with lemon or lime ... at least 1/2 a pitcher a day!  I would drink maybe 2 Pepsi's a WEEK to take my vitamins.

My primary choices of carbonated drinks are Pepsi and Mountain Dew.  Pepsi has phosphoric acid, carbonated water, citric acid, and caffeine added and Mountain Dew has citric acid, concentrated orange juice, caffeine, and erythorbic acid added.  Given our delicate balance of hormones that go awry during menopause, I'm wondering if these carbonated drinks and their acidic contents are causing these problems.

Well, once the burning started, I took myself off the vitamin supplements, the tea, caffeine, carbonated drinks and just drank water.  The burning stopped.  Gradually, I started drinking tea again, maybe 4 cups a day with no problem.  Caffeine doesn't seem to be a problem.

Then, one evening, I was out with friends and drank 4 glasses of orange crush and didn't make it 10 minutes before the burning was sooo bad I could hardly walk!  Pepsi and Mountain Dew will now do the same thing after consuming about 2 cans max at one time on the rare occassion I would do so!  Prior to menopause, I never had any problem drinking multiple large carbonated drinks in addition to tea daily.

When the burning starts, I found that immediately washing the area and applying mineral oil (which was all I had that could be used as a barrier) seemed to work well.  I follow up with drinking alot of water.

I have no medical insurance since becoming unemployed to research this further, but I have found that staying away from carbonated drinks appears to have made a world of difference, so far, and I hope that maybe it can help someone else ... any other observations would be greatly appreciated!
I've been diagnosed with Vulvar Vestibulitis Syndrome...basically burning and inflammation of the vestibule around the vagina.  My doctor prescribed lidocaine gel every night for a month to numb the area.  And he also prescribed a very low dose of a antidepressant that is supposed to help with the nerve endngs in the area.  This particular antidepressant is often prescribed for fibromyalgia.  So, when I got home I did some research of VVS and it said a low oxalate diet is helpful.  One thing to avoid is tea.  Some recommend Calcium Citrate to help too, so I just bought some.  Gonna follow my NEW doctor's recommendation for a month and go back to see him.  Good luck!
Thank you sooo much for the info!

Presently, I am taking a chelated calcium (100%) and magnesium (125%) supplement that provides the calcium as calcium carbonate, oyster shell and calcium gluconate.  The magnesium is provided as magnesium oxide and magnesium gluconate. The chelation process makes the calcium disolve within 60 minutes per USP standards, where other calcium sources sometimes never disolve if they are not chelatedand,  calcium should always be taken with magnesium.

Recently I have read that there has been a reverse from calcium citrate to carbonate within the medical community and I am frankly confused.  Have you any thoughts/experiences about this?

Years ago in my 40s, I decided to 'get healthy' and stopped drinking colas and started drinking orange juice, about 1/2 - 1 pint a day/5 days a week!  6 months later I was in the hospital having a huge kidney stone cut out of my back!  

I'm now eating alot more fruits etc. and am trying to stay away from the tea and citrus in any great quantity, and am drinking alot more water now.  The occassions I drink tea now, I have no reaction to it at all, but put carbonated drinks in my body and they set me on fire!  Have you noticed any correlation of your flare-ups to carbonated drinks, tea and/or acidic foods, or is your condition constant?

My urologist said that he suspected it was of an oxylate composition (they lost the stone) and that I should avoid oxilates ... explaining that I shouldn't eat leafy green veges etc., which are a great source calcium!  I told him that I was coming to menapause age and it sounded like the only safe food for me was water!  He laughed and said yes!

I am a South African woman in my 40's, i started with the same burning stining a few months ago just out of the blue. Also nothing helped me. A few days ago i was reading an article about stress, the stress that our bodies are under make us acidict and the body can produce acid which can cause the burning and stining from our natural juices in our body. We now over wash and clean which makes it worse. I found a immediate relieve by putting natural YOGHURT with live cultures on twice a day. It doesnt smell (even if you think that it will). I rinse everytime before i put it on and it is instant releive. I have now been without any discomfort for days. I know this is not the cure for the problem but i can now go through a day without thinking of the burning and discomfort.

Good luck to everyone.
I have had a feeling of pelvic pressure and the labia area feeling engorged constantly. It feel that I could have an orgasm at any time. Terrible feeling. I have no UTI, have had a CT scan which was normal, a pap test which was normal, a sonogram of my female organs which was normal, a kidney MRI which was normal, a cystography which was normal. But still,
I have that feeling of engorgement in the labia, clitoral area.
Anyone else have this problem?
Hi All, I have read most of the long list of comments. I, too, am experiencing the same symptoms. I have been studying mind body medicine since 4 years since I developed breast cysts and have known intuitively since then that the answer lies within us. We are all seeking and searching outside...doctors etc have been able to offer little help and the medicines of course doesn't work. I do believe ,as some of you mentioned, that the causes have to do with some sort of sexual suppression, repression, guilt...etc...its how we think about ourselves in relation to the circumstances which will affect our bodies very specifically. In fact I believe ALL dis-eases are related to emotional and mental and spiritual aspects of life. And we DO know our answers...that lie deep within us. I would ask you all to look within and become detectives, watch your thoughts and emotions closely and watch for the subtle changes in your bodies. Keep a diary and note down the sequences. And the reason why these symptoms would keep coming back could be because out thought patterns haven't changed, we have not resolved our issues and results in a hanging healing. Remember our bodies are amazingly intelligent and do not make mistakes! It will do everything for our survival.
I am also studying homeopathy at the moment and it may help you all to consult a homeopath for a gentle, no side effects, cure.
I am still learning and do know what is causing my symptoms and sometimes life gives us hard lessons...but they are also opportunities that help us grow.
I wish you all the best.
I have the same problem which has occurred for about a month. My GYN says I am suffering from Vulvodynia Intestitial Cystitis which is caused by an infection surrounding the bladder (don't be alamed). She has cured many of her patients and says I will be next. It is something that is very common in women. She prescribed:
Elmiron 100 mg for me to start taking as of today.
I am 73 years old and have had thiese problems for years. I get flare-up that last for 6 weeks or more, 3-4 days of normality, then 6 weeks more of itch and pain. I have have had this for ten years at least, increasing in intensity over time. My "love life" is suffering. The skin in my vulva, the perineum area, and even around my anus gets white and sometimes gets tough with fissures, especially in the perenium. What is not white is red and inflamed, so that even using tp hurts. Sometimes I can't sleep at night. Usually the white skin will slough off.
I was very recently diagnosed as diabetic, and wondered about the possible relationship. I could have been prediabetic all these years with increased sugars in my urine, which may be causing the burn since I have stress incontinence. I wear unscented minipads for this. Reading about diabetes, I find that burning vulva can be a result of too acidic urine.
I, too, find that doctors are stumped. I have been prescribed testosterone cream (I had a hysterectomy 24 years ago), estrogen creams, hydrocortisone creams, all to none effect.
I have decided to try using a wash of sodium bicarb after peeing or pooping, and so far it has helped. It also helps to use the hair dryer on low to dry the area thoroughly after this, or after showering. I will continue doing this as well as easing up on acid-producing foods to see if that cures it. If it does, then my diagnosis would be simply "urine burn."
I've been taking Amoxicillin and steroids for a Chest cold, and about 4 or 5 days after I started taking the Amoxicillin twice a day and steroids I started experiencing a VERY bad itch in my vagina. It stings when I pee, itches constantly, and it seems as though it's swolen and red...could this be an allergic reaction to the meds? If anyone knows what this is please tell me...Also I've just started my period which makes this 10x worse because I now constantly need to use the restroom. PLEASE HELP!!!
i am 32 years old. i was diagnosed with bartholin's cyst some 11 years ago and my first treatment of the cyst was to remove the whole gland through operation. too bad, i was not able to return back to my OB for the biopsy test.

the burning/tingling sensation never left me but it didn't bother me so much as well. it will go back every once in a while but it will go off on its own without any treatment. until just last year. when i experienced tremendous pain that would sometimes last 4-5 seconds and would repeat every other minute. it would eventually go until my left foot and lower back which would cause pain again in that area. the fingers in my left foot would also sometimes move on their own as if being controlled from the inside especially when i am having the burning sensation.

i've been married for almost 4 years, and been with 2 guys prior to marriage. i have one child which was delivered through c-section (thank God), and had once slept with a man that i was never really into relationship.

just like sunflower, i never have anything abnormal, no discharge whatsoever, never been diagnosed with anything except the bartholin removal. the pain would just sting even if it's not being touched. no problem having sex though, but very seldom now since my child was born. i just got my pap smear last two weeks ago and will get the result this coming Saturday. i am hoping that its nothing serious like cancer or anything. the OB told me, there were small little lumps, that she said would have rice-like pieces inside them, and told me if she were to treat it, she'll do it without any anesthesia. so i decided to wait for my pap smear result and if she would not give me anything to ease the pain im going to ask for a second opinion. this pain has never bothered me so much in the past, even if they got a cyst as big as a calamansi fruit. it's just recently that the pain is so visible that it is starting to affect my work, and that is the last thing i want..

Please help. i am thinking this might be vaginal athropy (is this correct?) since my left bartholin gland had been removed many years back and i am no longer very active on sex. i am not so into self-medication but if i am left with no choice i might as well try the tips you've posted here.

thanks in advance for all your help and advise.
I just found this website.  In the last four months I started to feel itchy, burning and stinging in the vulva area.  At first my doctor thought It may be a yeast infection and prescribed ointment cream and oral medicine since I could not tolerate the over the counter suppository.  I do nit have discharge or any foul odor like some of the common yeast infection symptoms.  The symptoms did got away for three weeks but then it came back again after I had my cycle.  I went to see a OB GYN and she thinks I may have Vulvar Dermatitis since the itch affected the buttocks area as well.  I had to switch all bath and shampoo products to cetaphil and free and clear shampoo and conditioner.  I had to make sure the feminie pads are unscented and use Dreft for detergent.  The doctor prescribed a steroid cream which made the itch and burning worse!  I started to research on various websites about my condition and found an advice to use coconut oil.  I used extra virgin coconut oil, expeller cold pressed kind.  I melt the coconut oil in the microwave, let cool and rub it on the infected areas after showering in the morning.  Before putting the oil on I use a blow dryer and dry the area first before rubbing the coconut oil on.  I did this twice a day, morning and at night.  This has helped tremenously with the itching, burning and inflammation.  I did this ritual for ten days and now I'm only using the oil once a week.  like most of you, nobody seems to know why I suddenly have these symptoms but at least the coconut oil helps eleviate the pain and suffering.  If it wasn't for the coconut oil I would never get any sleep.
You should go to a urologist "who has knowledge of "Innerstycial Cystitis" and believes that it exist."  IC has a lot of sympoms that you explain. I was diagnosed with it in 2004. It has the symptms of a bladder infection but worse, and other than changing your diet, nothing helps.
Good Luck!
Jaime
I am so happy and at the same time sad, that I have found this website. Happy because I now feel that I'm not the only one out there with this embarrassing and upsetting problem, but sad that it has taken a forum such as this for women to find any sort of relief.

I have suffered with this horrible burning sensation off and on for nearly a year now. It is usually triggered when i am very stressed or when my body overheats - due to peri-menopausal sweats and the fact that I live in a sub-topical climate. It is usually worse when I have a period and can get so bad that wearing underwear is almost impossible as it is so sore.

I have been treated for thrush - so many times I think I have a share in the Canestan company! - but this usually only creates more stinging and burning. I even tried the candida diet, which of course didn't work as I didn't have thrush to begin with!

It gets very depressing and then i get stressed which of course repeats the cycle. I feel like crying all of the time.

I have a very understanding husband - luckily, as sex in now infrequent and often painful - but I feel like les of a woman because I can't function properly.

It burns more when I urinate, so I got tested for a UTI, which was negative. I've tried using sorbolene as a cleanser and moisturiser, I use unscented washing liquid and unscented loo roll with no effect. After finding this forum today, I feel so much better about myself and have hope that if I can't cure my condition, at least i may be able to ease the symptoms.

I had my first bicarb sitz bath today, and tommorrow I will get some lavendar oil to add to it as well to see how that goes.

Keep posting girls, 'cause without your input, we're all in the dark.
I have the same probs as you and found no1 understood what was wrong eventually my doctor prescribed me with Metronidazole 400mg its supposed to be an antibiotic, and considering I had no infections I was wary to take them bt took them anyway and they worked so nw everytime I have the symptoms I just take the tabs for a few days!
i have burning raw stinging pain in my labia as well, but only to the lt side. does it mean something being only 1 sided. the dr swabbed me for herpes as i had a cut from using a yeast infection treatment and it was negative. the burning comes back  sometimes with redness and inflammation but no bumps or sores anywhere. i have used a& d and she gave me a nystatin cream, but i was scared if it is herpes that the nystatin cream will spread the virus so i just deal with it. the pain is annoying. constant. and sometimes having burning with urination. what is this???
I just followed your instructions regarding the extra virgin coconut oil.  Begged my daughter, who has been suffering since her freshman year in high school (she is now a senior), to apply.  It made her burning worse.  Open up her bathroom closet and you will find every cream imaginable, and pill bottles for various prescriptions and anti-biotics.  It has been so very hard to watch her suffer and never know from one day to the next how she will feel that day.  She had to give up band, and misses many social opportunities and days from school.  She has been referred to therapy treatments...a series of seven treatments...called pelvic floor rehab.  She starts that treatment mid October 2011.  What helps her now is insane...and I am not recommending this...but for her, she takes 1.5 mg of Xanax.  I do not know how she stays awake.  She does not want to take it, but it's the only medication that helps.  Some days she will think she has the perfect solution, such as taking an AZO yeast tab, plus lanocaine cream...and then after a couple days, that does not work for her.  Her GYN tells her she will not drop the ball...that they WILL find the perfect combination of treatments to do away with this awful, debilitating condition once and for all.  I sure hope so.  Her anxiety is sky-high and I feel helpless.  Starting college away next year...and she is so full of anxiety about this illness and how it will affect her studies and now...I don't know if it is a good idea to go so far away to college...her dad and I have been by her side every step...  We are heartbroken seeing her suffer and not being able to "fix" it.  I will post more as she goes through her pelvic floor rehab...and if any other miracle breakthrough should work.  
Thanks for your comments, all.  I'll stay in touch.
I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter DMcNaples.  I've suffered from the same thing for the last couple months and it is debilitating.  I've gone through every test, all negative.  I'm a medical student and this burning is driving me absolutely crazy.  It's intolerable.  I told my PCP and the GYN this and they just stare at me.  I think that "intolerable" somehow must have the connotation of being dead!  "Well you're not dead!"  No I'm not - but this is intolerable!!  I really don't know what to do.  I have bottles in my cabinet of ointments, creams, antibiotics, antifungals, antiseptics, analgesics - prescription and non-prescription.  I'm desperate.  I hate being desperate.  I hate the reaction I get from doctors - "red," "raw," "inflammed," - "it looks painful" - yet - they don't know what it is???!  Like they've never seen it before?!  How can they have never seen this before!!  When I found these posting I spent awhile just reading the posts; it felt so good to know I'm not alone.  So my latest is they're sending me for a biopsy -- cancer? -- I walked out of the office w my sunglasses on and just started crying in the elevator.  I'm in so much pain and the best I got is -- a biospy in 3 weeks & stop wearing underwear to bed.  I don't know.  Are ppl really as callous as it feels?  I know it's a job - but I know also how super competative getting into med school is and I know they really do pick compassionate bright ppl...  I really need you to be creative now.  I need help; this is debilitating, I can't take it; it's interfering w my whole life, my studies - all I want to do is lie in bed all day, not that it helps but I feel so awful.  This is madness!  So for all of you out there I'm sorry this is happening to you.  It's not right.  It's not right and I'm sorry.

What I am doing before the biopsy:

1.  Setting up an appt to see a dermatologist.

This is a SKIN condition; which although after many CVS purchases, walk in clinics, pcp visits, CT scan, pelvic US and ultimately a complete failure at gyn appointment -  all tests always negative -- I realize, I mean, I have to accept they don't know.  This is a skin condition and a dermatologist is the next step.  I'll make sure to repost to let ya 'll know what he/she says.

If anyone's seen a dermatologist I'd be really interested in hearing what they said.
Hi everyone, I have been experiencing this for about one month. External burning sensation and discharge. How uncomfortable! I got treated for a yeast and was tested all negative so now Im left with this...I will try the baking soda sitz bath and report back to you all. No odor by the way, just milky discharge. I had to think was it my Avianne Birth Control. Idk, Im tired of spending money on the doctor and them tell me it's nothing! Its frustrating.

If this gives me relief I will be forever greatful as this has impacted my life so negatively!!!!!!! Thanks all
Thanks from now, October 2011, for this info -- seems to be my situation exactly.  
Hello everyone thankyou so much for sharing your stories I thought I was the only one with this problem now I know I'm not I have suffered from these symptoms for as long as I've had my mensteral cycle after years of trying avery vitamine and herb you can think of I have found that eating two to five cloves of raw garlic a day and only drinking cranberry juice and taking extra showers helps keep the symptoms at a minamum idk for sure but because the garlic and cran juice works I am thinkin this may be our bodys trying to rid themselves of toxins mainly the uterus I have some more research to do but just wanted to share that cause all of your stories helped my so muchthank you foxy wolfe
i am 20  year's old virgin girl and have been suffering from same problem(vagina burning ,pain and heavy white discharge ) for last 2 years.i feel soreness ,extreme pain and extreme  burning sensation in the entire vaginal passage for 24 hours  though it looks normal.vaginal discharge is very thick and happens always.i went to 13 gynaecologist .they all diagnosed it as a yeast infection.i took lots of antibiotics but all in vain .pls somebody help me
Hi. I am lying in bed almost crying with relief to know there are so many others with the same problem as me. I am 50. Had a hysterectomy when I was 30 and have been menopausal for the past 18 months. My symptoms seem to have been triggered following a big vaginal surgery I had for stress and urgency incontinence plus I had a very severe prolapse that was repaired. The stinging and itching starts at my front passage and slowly works it way down. I had been back to the doctor do many times with no answers. I finally got another opinion. I was prescribed Advantan Fatty Ointment 0.1%.  Finally something that actually works. It is cortisone so can only be used very sparingly. I find if I use a cold facewasher instead of toilet paper and just dab the area it makes a big difference
Also when I feel the itching snd stinging just starting up I use a little Vagisil cream to keep the are numb do I don't scratch it go out of my mind from the itching and burning
My gp has told me if the episodes contine I will need to have a biopsy done to try snd get to the cause. If I can treat it quickly and not scratch or rub the area I can now stop it before it reaches the vaginal area
I am so thankful to all of you for sharing your very personal stories. It has really helped me knowing I am not alone
Hi, i ve had the exact same symptoms that ur describing. Same stinging sensation, not pain. Cannot wear trousers, have to sit all the time with legs closed to reduce the feeling, cannot concentrate on anything else. Thought it was thrush, the medications only made it worse. Turned out negative on all typical tests, chlamydia, herpes, hiv.... I ve been told -by elimination- that i had vestibultis. Which wasnt correct cause no pain during intercourse.
Finally, one doctor had the idea to test me for HPV (human papilloma), which in fact is quite common. And turned out i had the low and high risk ones. Nothing scary, but the high risk puts me at an increased risk of cevical cancer. It doesnt mean i have cancer, but it means i have to get pap smears once a year to monitor my cervix. And if after 5 years nothing, then the virus is out. If it's increasing, i wiuld have to have an outpatient surgery, a type of laser to butn the cancerous cells from my cervix.
....so have urself checked for HPV.
Hi, ive had frequent Utis and burning labia. Gets worse in the evening and the night for some strange reason. Im allergic to alot of different antibiotics so thought i would try alternatives. I bought some D Mannose for the utis , although it tastes vile, it is brilliant. As for the burning, ive found baking soda in the bath and i often sleep with an ice pack down there. Good job im single. Hope this helps
Oh thank bloody god I thought I was alone and the doctors iv been to all think im stupid and it's just thrush the thrush treatments have done nothing for me and this horrible sensation is the worste it keeps me up makes me stay home stops me playing with my son it's embarrassing have any1 noticed in really humid hot wether it tends to help bring it on.????
Mine feels almost like a burn the only way I can explain is it feels like the inside walls r allergic to each other if that makes any sense at all
I just had a pelvic biopsy and its been 2 weeks I tried to have sex for the first time and it hurt pretty badly I also have some burning, stinging and sometimes itchy feeling in that whole area also but it does hurt to touch idk what it could be my test results came back and I had low grade lesions. Sex didn't hurt before I went to the gyno for my first pap and then after is when the burning itchyness started I had BV so idk if that could have caused anything but I just want the pain to go away. Any advice?
http://www.icadvice.com/node/26
Hey  guys this mite be helpful... this is an entirely new area we mite have overlooked. I am sure it will address the problem better esp for chronic cases where the problem lasts too long.. its agonizing and no1 will ever tell us dis reason! its actually to do with PC muscles.. that control both urinary bladder and vaginal muscles. Its known as pelvic floor dysfunction. check the link and follow the advice. God bless!
hi, i am 14years old and i have had this burning and stinging sensation since i was 4 years old i have spoke to doctors about it and they have told me to do a wee sample and evertime i do they always come back and say there is nothing , its clear , your fine , but i must have something as this is getting unbearable and has been for a while! i have asked for medication but the docs jus say because you havent got anything you dont need medication :@ it stings and burns before, after and whilst i pee this has happened most my life now and wish somebody could tell me what you think i should do because i could cry it hurts that much , its soooo uncomfortable please could someone tell me what you think i should do ?
Your symptoms sound almost exactly like mine, it is completely unpredictable, I constantly test negative for any venereal disease or bacterial infections, but yet this hot burning horrible sensation, put me in tears... it feels like jalapenos are inside of me with a acid like discharge, that burns horribly.. when I sit down for long periods of time, it's even worse... everything down there instantly changed for me, my discharge is different I taste different.. it is ruining my sex life, I'm afraid if I have sex with someone that he would feel, Horrible burning That I feel.. or that he may start burning too, this is so embarrassing.. I used to feel 100 percent confident about my vaginal area, in every way.. now I am so discouraged, if anybody has any advice I would appreciate it greatly.

.
.
.

.
.
.
UGH_ I am in the SAME EXACT SITUATION- one month now. Burning like Im on fire. 37 year old. Normal healthy sex life. One partner for two years. tested negative for all stds and yet Im all of a sudden burning. Going to try a bunch of your suggestions- Im sad for us all. Was planning a cruise for 12 nights and sapposed to leave in three weeks. Thinking of canceling as I can't even imagine going away right now. UGHHHH- me  
My dermatologist prescribed protopic.  It stung so she prescribed elidel.  I ended up going back to protopic at first but putting in on before bed, so I wouldn't feel the burning when I was asleep. Eventually I was able to use it twice a day.  When I got better I used the elidel since it didn't sting as much.  I am still using the elidiel at night & its 2 years later.  It hasn't cured it but I'm much better.
Okay gals!  This is my story too.  BUT...I believe that it is due to Birth Control!  Seasonique to be exact...I started it in April of this year and began getting symptoms of UTI within a few days.  They treated me for a UTI just based off my symptoms...3 months later I was having horrible burning and swelling in my vaginal area.  I saw a Uroloigist, GYni, ER visits..u name it!  I found out that I was having an allergic reaction to the Seasonique BC,,except it was on the INSIDE of my body (swelling, irritation, burning).  NO hives, no STD's, no Yeast Infection, No IC...so it was impossible for any doctor to diagnose it.  We are our own BEST doctor!  So...that being said.  I found out that the hormone in that Birth Control was creating symptoms of all those things I was tested for.  My doctors told me I had yeast, Uti's..etc. too yet MOST of the time they weren't actually going off of an actual positive diagnosis,just what they thought probably was the problem.  I DO however have an overgrowth of the Lactobicilli too...I found that out by the ER docs so I trust that.  SITZ baths helped.  But the point of this is that if u are on BC, u could be allergic to it!  The rule is that it will take the same amoutn of time u were on the BC, for the hormone's reaction to subside those adverse affect.  So for me I was on Seasonque for 90 days and now I have been off of it for 90 days.  I am doing WAY beter than 2 months ago but still have irritation 1-2 times during the month.  I trust that it will just take a little longer to rid my body of those horrible hormones in the BC.  Hope this can help someone!
three days ago I had sex with my boyfriend.
The day after I started experiencing this itchy feeling around my vulva and a little bit at the opening of my vagina, it itches at times and other times its really an annoyin 'pain' ('pain' because it doesn't really hurt that much). There is no pain whn I urinate tho, I'm just worried because I'm only 20, is there a problem with me because I'm afraid to tell and ask my mom for advice as she is strict and doesn't know that I'm sexually active.
So can anyone please help??
Thank you in advance.

I'm 46 and I've had this condition for 14 years.  Like many of you, I've been to dr after dr, tried cream after cream, prescription after prescription, diet after diet with little relief. My problem is not hormonal, bacterial, urological, etc. and no amount of anti-depressants, cortisone creams or nerve medications have ever helped one bit. Diagnosed with Vulvodynia, which is really a 'no diagnosis,' catchall for what the medical community can't figure out, the use of  which is totally irresponsible - I wanted to kill myself after being told there was no hope.  But, there is hope and I pray that my experience will help some of you.

First, I quit going to doctors.  Being told again and again that there's nothing wrong or that there's no cure is depressing.  Over the past few years, I've figured out a few things which help me considerably. I won't say I'm 'cured', but I'm able to manage my pain and carry on a somewhat normal life, and the more the my pain is reduced overall, the less pain that's caused by a low psychological state, which contributes to the pain cycles.  

No jeans or pants.. like ever.  The exception, stretchy or very soft pants made from predominantly cotton.  It's inconvenient, but overall, wearing skirts and dresses make me feel prettier anyway, which helps when I'm having a hard time feeling like a woman (very important!!)   Also, cotton only underwear and leggings for when it's cold.  I have lots of boots to keep my legs warm in winter.

Balanced PH.  I drink 1 tablespoon of Bragg's apple cider vinegar with water.  Bragg's has the 'mother' in it which is very good, and it helps with other issues like acne or acid stomach.  I noticed that this condition creates a lot of 'heat' in my body and the vinegar seems to me help cool down.

I've severely reduced my intake of yogurt, as I have a strange feeling it may contribute. Before the pain started, I used to have chronic candida and used yogurt and acidophilus a lot! My pain first came on after douching with yogurt, and my first lab results came back with high levels of it. Don't know how relevant it is, but I've cut it way back. And, if you're not diagnosed with a yeast infection, avoid anti-fungal cremes, they will likely exacerbate the burning.

Kegel exercises and overall circulation. Keeping the blood flowing to these parts is important. I have a little massager that I use around the perimeter of my vagina and labia (not on it directly), and often get relief by using it underneath where the pelvic muscles connect to the leg, which are very tender.  I think the muscles end up in spasm from all the stress and pain, so they hold the pain cycles in the nerves and muscles.  I also found that using this therapy to achieve orgasm helps relieve pent up energy in this area.  Walking, stretching and exercise is very important for endorphins, stress relief, circulation, etc.

Which brings me to sex, which is probably the last thing you can imagine!  However, I've found that being sexual actually does help....crazy, I know.  For one thing, after time your desires fall away from all that pain and your body eventually stops producing the chemistry needed to be sexual.  Little by little all of it compounds on itself physically and emotionally until you feel like nothing that resembles a woman.

I didn't try intercourse until I had reduced my stress and pain levels to a manageable level. The key for me is to Lubricate!  I can't tell you how much of a difference this makes.  Part of my problem is about chaffing and rubbing, I am very sensitive to touch, so creating a barrier between myself and anything that rubs feels better.  Lots of lube on both yourself and your partner and re-load when necessary!  Take it slow and gentle.  Oral first works even better as there's little friction and lots of moisture, plus it gets you both 'ready' so the actual intercourse is shorter. Replens or KY Liquibeads inserted every 3 days or so helps quite a bit.  I keep a little bottle of personal lubricant in my bag and just throw some one whenever I feel irritated or dry.

I never thought I'd even reach the level I'm at today.  Keeping my stress down is key and I do anything I can to re-direct myself when the painful moments come, like watch a cartoon or 'I Love Lucy," take a walk or a bath.  Hold onto your good moments and visualize more of them whenever possible.  Stay positive! I know this feels impossible, but it's super important. Also, unless completely necessary (or with my shrink), I don't talk about it.  People around me can't relate to what I'm going through even if they try, and feeling unheard or ignored only makes me feel more isolated.  I also like to believe that not giving my energy to it takes away some of its power over me.  Hang in and trust your own intuitions by listening to your body, know that you will improve.
I was just diagnosed with vulvadynia and I don't have pain to touch...wondering if the doctors know what they are talking about.  I too, was diagnosed by  two gyns and a urologist.  I have pressure once in awhile, mostly feels like tampon inserted incorrectly, plus feels like something in the uretha (like a small twig - not a burr) and the clit is so sensitive it is unbearable with clothing.  Hot, Hot wash cloths help along with epsom salts baths but that is only temporary.  So clitordynia seems to be the main culprit with vulvadynia or ??? along with it.  Pain is unbearable!!!  Doctors want to call is psychological so I'm exhausted with them!
Is the coconut oil still working for you?  Where does one find it?  thanks
Hi Ladies!
I hope this does not come too late. I have had the worst year of my life. My vagina has hurt soo much! It started though with a guy I hooked up with and then weeks later I had symptoms I have never had before. Just prior to my period and then it went away. This lasted for some time and then bloomed to a full time deal. Im 29 and at my annual my gyno tells me its a yeast infection. So we treat it and some symptoms disappear. But it never really went away. I had 4 blood tests. 8 cultures and nothing! All came back negative. Let me just say that until sleeping with him, I never had Any problems. By about the 7th month mark I had three bloody UTI's. I was on fluconazole, ketoconazole and used boric acid suppositores almost daily! And by the third UTI I demanded better testing unless they wanted to send me to an infectious disease specialist. A skin biopsy showed CHLAMYDIA! By this point I had bombarded myself with antifungal drugs and to treat the chlamydia, I was now on round 5 of antibiotics in only 2months! Ironically, all the symptoms left in about 48hrs. Yay! Until abuot a week after I finished the meds, I did infact get a yeast infection. I followed up with ketoconazole and felt somewhat better. Then I get my period, I feel good. And slowly but surely, all the symptoms, minus the itching come back. I wanted to slit my wrists! I was so consumed with despair. If only the chlamydia had been discovered earlier! Now I have a PH mess on my hands. Luckily my friend mentioned the CV and put me in the right direction. The antibiotics will work, to a point. But dont assume its a cure all because it gets rid of everything! I was on doxycycline. I have received so much relief from the baking soda, although I have to keep using it. I put it in capsules and insert it. The watery discharge is a reaction to acid mixing with base. I have been doing a lot of research on this though. And between my naturopath, a compounding pharmacist and myself, we have put together a suppository that should do the trick. I just tried it today. I will keep you posted!
I have just read through this entire forum topic and found it dismaying that so many of us have similar symptoms yet have medical practitioners/gynaecologists attempting to diagnose (or not!) 100 different reasons and treatments.  I have only just started experiencing a painful vulva area, stinging actually, and I am very dry. I am married, and have not had sex with anyone except my husband since I was 16 (I am now 63) - so promiscuity is not the problem. Neither is "catching" anything off my husband because he may have been "messing" around. Due to family obligations which I won't go into, we have been apart for 3 months and this condition started after that.  On a chemist's recommendation I have been using a natural personal lubricant product called Silk. It is made from the New Zealand kiwi fruit vine!  I apply the gel topically (that is externally to the site) whenever I feel uncomfortable and it alleviates the discomfort. However the effect doesn't last long, but it's the best thing I've come across yet. In my case, I don't think the condition is menopausal as I have not had ovaries or a uterus since I was 38. I had a complete hysterectomy including an oopherectomy and refused to take HRT afterwards. I have not had a problem until now. I have noticed that the condition is worse in summer so I'm thinking hydration, or lack of, may be a factor?  I am attempting to drink more H2o. Being raised by a "Victorian era" English mum, it was considered vulgar to inspect your so-called private area,  but this discomfort has driven me to do just that. But having no prior knowledge of "before and after" scenarios makes it difficult to say whether anything has changed!  I have noticed 2 black moles inside my labia and whether they have always been there I cannnot say, so I am off to see a lady gynaecologist as soon as I can.  But meanwhile "Silk" (or is it Sylk) is providing temporary relief. So give it a go, it may help you too.
Starlight.. You may be on to something.. I am experiencing the same syptoms (symptoms).. And I notice when I masturbate...It goes away for a while.. interesting.. I'm also using  a Vaginal  wash by Summer Eve's purchase from CVS, and it seems to alleviate the stinging..And much prayer.. I have been to 2 doctors so far.. the pain isn't as intense as it was when i initially felt it.. I've done  the Flagell, Diflucan, Metrogel, you name it...I've changed doctors because one told me I needed to go to see a psychic because medically she didn't see anything wrong.  My next step is a dermatologist, becuase sometimes I feel the stingin on my inner thigh at times.. I've also thought it was an overabundance of hair growth in that area.. still searching
It's really weird, I been tested for std for over a year now, and both times negative, I keep telling doctors there is somethin wrong, it does not feel right, they say everything looks ok . And no discharge, no smells test are negative.. but it stinging, no pain with sex, I have different cream, no help. At times it goes away and comes back, at times starts up right before my periods goes away , then comes back a week later.. its driving me crazy, I also have other medical conditions that I don't know if its been a part of it, any one has fibre, lupus or stomach acid issues?? I'm so fustrated ..
I too have experienced this.  For me, it often came on with stress.  Tough part about that is that the burning causes you to be so stressed out too so it is like a merry-go-round.  I am pre-diabetic.  I have been experiencing UTIs and the pharmacist assistant suggested triple cranberry pill, and that helped with the UTIs and the vaginal problem.  I believe my problem had to do with the acidity of my urine which somehow increases when I am stressed out.  To top it off, the urine would get on my rectum and cause my rectum to burn.  I used (non-medicated) Chap Stick for that and that gave me instant relief.  I am going to try the sitz bath with baking soda, maybe even the antibacterial wipes and see if that helps.  I am grateful to say that my labial and vaginal irritation is intermittent and does go away., I'm just not sure why.  God bless all of us.  
Hey folks,

I've been experiencing burning outside my vagina and in the vulval region for about a week. This is my first time and initially I thought it's body heat flushing out from my mucous outlets. My periods are approaching and I don't have any discharge or itching, just burning. Also, I have apthae/ulcers in mouth and my soles burn. I'd had sole burning for years in summers and for sure this is a heat outburst in my body. I'm a doctor (Homoeopath) and I know for sure that this is not Candida nor BV. I was suspecting that my body has gone hyper acidic and there is some PH issue. After reading your posts, I'm almost sure about what I have. I haven't seen a gynaec yet but I hope to see some after 15 days if the condition doesn't resolve after the research.

I've noticed that:

1. Stress increases the burning and when I divert my mind, the burning tends to reduce. So try to keep yourself STRESS-FREE, though doing that is the toughest when it burns. When you concentrate more on your vagina, you'll feel more burning, so start focusing your mind elsewhere.

2. Water, water and water!!! Water helps to pacify the acidic levels in your body and hence drinking plenty of it will surely give you some relief. It will make your blood, urine and vagina less acidic.

3. I'm going to try Citralka/Alkacal/Oricitral today to see how it affects. These solutions are given orally in urine infection to make the PH alkaline and I want to try whether this works on vagina too. Will update you on how it went.

4. It certainly looks like CT (Cytolytic Vaginosis) by symptoms (though I'm not sure in absence of any tests) .The burning started right after my ovulation and is worse as menses are approaching. So, I'll take baking soda sitz bath today and will tell you how it went.

5. I've been taking yogurt a lot for the last few days thinking that it will reduce my body heat but guess it has worsened the case, so NO YOGURT.

6. The burning comes and goes, more after my meals (hope because the body PH increases because of the acids in the stomach), in the night and sometimes mornings when I deliberately start thinking about it. So keep a watch on your routine and when it hurts more.

7. I have Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria (Skin Allergy) and I'm on Cetrizine 5 mg/night for about a year. Hope the medicine is not  triggering it, though it is anti-allegic by itself.

8. Going for a walk and cooking alleviates my complaints, might be because I'm engaged and in a healthy mood. Sleeping worsens because all I do is think about that ****. So start walking, cooking and going physical.

9. I also had a feeling that there is some hormonal imbalanace, could be with estrogen, so there is dryness. But 'm just 31 and I've a daughter who's almost 1 and a half, so I can't think of Vaginal Atrophy here.

10. I've not had sex for the last 2 months because my hubby is over-busy with work and projects. I think keeping sexually active also helps in maintaining normal hormone levels and reduces stress. Practice some if you don't. I'll surely do that after my menses are over.

11. I'll get back with further updates. Keep posting.
Just wondering if anyone had any luck finding out the problem? Am having the same burning senation. It started last year and seemed to last forever but it got better but I had other stuff happen...I had a creepy crawly feeling all over my body and my joints were very achy. My chest hurt like at my breast and under my arm. All of that happen March of 2011, and now it seems to have started again a year later. I've got the burning senation on my vulva and I can start to feel the achiness coming back in my body. Ugh I dont know if I can stand this all over again. Whatever it is it drains your energy some much and makes me so tired.
Hi this is a subject close to my heart.Well I have had this painful valvo disc omfort for almost 3 yrs. and somedays are worse than other's.I have been married 16 yrs. and never had any sexually transmitted diseases.I did have a vaginal hysterectomy at age 40 do to large fibroid tumors.long story short, at this time i don't have medical insurance do to being unemployed.I would describe the pain as a nagging,prickly,burning sensation.Some time on oneside more than the other. I tried mild lavender soaps,Epsom salt in bath tub for 10mins.I get out of tub it's so painful i can barely dry down their.I dab litely.It's not a yeast infection,I know what they are no discharge.I tried a progestrone cream from G.N.C. store for natural hormone replacement It gave me migrain headaches so I stopped it shortly after.Iv'e alway's worn cotton breathable undies.None at nite lol.When I find a job soon I pray,Im going back to the gynocologist and tell them will they check me for valvodynia. Cause I seem to have the characteristics of it. Im sure my husband will be happy too!
When I read your story I thought I was reading by own history, I have had all the female issues since 16, now I'm 49 with absolutely no relief in vulvular burning on the left side for the last 3 years.  The one positive outcome from this was the removal of fallopian tube cancer because the GYN thought the ovary was causing the pain.  Allthough I am a cancer survivor now I still live with the burning which gets worse as the day goes on and the amount of sitting during that particular day.  I was recently diagnosed with BV and started Flagyl which seems to be improving the sensation......Have you had any relief, any help would be appreciated
I have the same problem for 2 yrs & it's making me irritable - I can't sleep properly, work properly. I itch, tear the skin, some relief, then the cycle continues.
Tried everything with relief for small periods.
I am in my 40s.  The burning in my vulva started out like a super allergy to detergent.  I became so sensitive that I couldn't use any soap, no creams, even water irritated me.  I had no infection just burning that lasted for 7 months.  I started ingesting vitamin E and applied vitamin E oil down there but didn't make it go away completely.  Salt bath made it far worse, and any body soaps with sodium sulfate should be avoided! Don't even sit in soapy water.  Finally the third gyn prescribed Gynoflor vaginal tablets which is the good bacteria with little estrogen. Dr. said low levels of estrogen causes vulva to be sensitive.  I used 8 tablets and stopped as it caused burning inside of me that lasted around 3 weeks.  When it subsided the vulva burning went away.  Given me relief for 3-4 months now.  But again I am feeling some irritation and I find that applying extra virgin olive oil in the vulva area calms it down. Try it.....

The doctor also told me that if all else fails there is a procedure where they inject alcohol under the skin of the vulva that stops the burning sensation. I hope I don't have to do that and I am now counting on the olive oil for relief.  Truly my heart goes out to all women suffering from this.
Please let me know what happened with you and how are you feeling now. I have been feeling the ALL the same symptoms that you have. Thanks for all the advices and for posting them.
Hi, Thank you for sharing your story, but I can't understand  after so many tests everything came back negative until the skin biopsy? how did that happen?  Now I'm concern because I had all the lab work (all negative), and I still feel the symptoms of burning and watering white discharge (very acid) , no smell, no pain with intercourse or bleeding and the dr keep saying it is only  an hormonal issue.. I don't know what to think.
Hmmmm....I'm glad to read about all your experiences. I have been dealing with this since February. I'm 55 and "in menopause." Went to doc for what I thought was a UTI, but no bacteria (second time this happened), so she gave me Estrace cream for vaginal dryness. Used that for a while, but didn't see much difference, and I didn't really like the idea of using an estrogen cream with the threat of endometrial cancer it carries.
What I have been doing is wearing skirts and loose pants (no more jeans with that hard seam that runs through my tender places), washing with either just a stream of warm water or neem soap (even mild castile soap created burning and itching) and not sitting as much. I found if I sat too long on my office chair, the symptoms were much worse, but were either greatly reduced or absent if I sat in other chairs or if I stand for part of my workday. The other thing I've been using is ALOE VERA GEL inside and out. It is cooling and soothing, and keeps my insides moist. Get the kind that says you can use it for vaginal dryness - some of them are for external use only.
All these things have not totally eliminated the problem, just reduced it greatly to somewhat, depending on the day. I like the idea of the baking soda treatments -- I'm going to try the sitz bath. I hate the idea of not eating leafy greens -- they are so good for us in so many ways. Maybe some calcium supplements might provide a balance.
The opening to my vagina and curve of the labia beneath my vagina are often very raw and red looking. I have not attempted intercourse in a few months (but the last time - before using the aloe vera gel regularly and just using lube during intercourse, it was painful inside. Hoping this will be better now after daily inner moisturizing, but I'm a bit afraid to try so as to not trigger more pain - though some comments here say sex HELPS. Oy!). Sometimes I have no pain during the day, and sometimes some stinging or burning. It's so weird.
I DO regularly take Gr8dophilus, which is 8 different strains of probiotic. Never thought this would cause a problem, but now I am starting to wonder.
I want to go to the gyno, but don't want to get on the merry-go-round of meds that - from what I read - don't help and actually create more pain and problem. So, baking soda is my next thing to try (and maybe cutting back on the probiotic....though I have heard that is a HELPFUL thing for IC). I seem to remember my grandmother used to put baking soda in her bath water....maybe it's a hereditary thing.
Thanks for all your comments!
One other thing that seemed to help was marshmallow root. Buy the root in bulk at a natural food store (it's cheap) and put a heaping tablespoon in a tea ball in a quart of cold water in your fridge over night. Drink a glass or two of this during the day (or make a pot of it hot if you prefer). It's VERY soothing for the urinary tract and related tissues.
I hope the olive oil works for you. The alcohol treatment sounds awful. Keep us posted.
Olive oil has helped, the burning has subsided.  Also I stopped drinking cranberry juice and lemon juice because one of the ladies here mentioned that citric juices brings on this irritation.  Another lady said she uses coconut oil and it helps her, yet another one said she uses yoghurt twice a day.

I massaged the extra v. olive oil into the vulva for a few seconds each time I felt the burning. Try olive oil, it doesn't have side effects and it's natural. Make sure you wash down there after going to the bathroom before applying the oil.  I don't use soap there since I got this problem and I use odourless pantyshields to avoid contact with the detergent in my panty.  It is better to use natural things than creams etc. as long as it's not a bacterial infection or yeast.  I shall pray for all of you.  Hope this helps.
hi, i actually found that sex (although sex did make my skin on the inside and just on the outside of my vagina burn a litle initially) helped strangely enough a few hours later and next day the burning sensation when touched did go away a little if not completely.... sadly though i still have the problem but good for sexual tension and some relief
Hi I have been reading all the comments, I honestly did it more than once, trying to look for an answer to the same problem that all of us have.. Hot, burning sensation in the vulva.. Like the first lady who started this post I had the same question, adding one more problem, a continuous white watery discharge. I had this problem since February and now May is when I can feel some relieve even when I'm not still 100% yet. I went to my dr. I had  all kind of tests done, even at the beginning he thought I had a yeast infection and I had a week of treatment and I still had the same symptoms. Had three swaps done, all negative, all the panel for STD done all negative, the conclusion after all this time and money is; Cytolitic Vaginosis  because of the change of the ph in that area.. I still think that I'm allergic to something.
Even when my doctor didn't give any medication, he suggested the baking soda baths sitz, and the douches with water and baking soda. I didn't feel good down there, there were days when the burning sensation was intolerable  so I called him and he prescribed a MAGIC MEDICINE one over the counter and it is helping me a lot! ladies the name is LUVENA you can find it  at walmart, cvs pharmacy,  it cost between $15- $18 but it is worth it!. It is a gel that you will insert down there.. You can use it only when you feel the burning, or every three days or for a week, it will depend of your case. It will help to restore the ph in your vagina,  give it a try.. I still have the discharge but I'm feeling much better and not more burning or irritation, hopefully with this medicine I will go back to normal..
Good luck!..
Wow! I am shocked and saddened by all the posts here.  I have been having this problem -gaining in worseness for approx 2 wks.  It is a sore, burning sensation in the outer area (no sex to blame it on).  No pain when urinating, no discharge, just coming and going discomfort seeming more intense when seated.  I went to the emergency room today 'cause I had enough (and was holiday wkend). Doc said I seemed dry and ran some tests, prescribing me pills to take vaginally (for fungal type infections) and estrogen-type cream in that order. I'm turning 50 and think though my periods are regular / unchanged, perhaps I'm pre-menopausal... I have another gyn appt in a couple weeks and in the interim my period should occur.  Can't wait to find out what this is -and especially to get it treated completely. Praying it's not a serious cancer-type issue.
My gyn gave me Gynoflor vag tablets which helped with the burning and watery discharge (altho I felt some vag burning after 8 tablets it was still worth it).  I had it for 7 months and I was miserable.  Mine started after switching from my shower gel to an antibacterial soap that stung me there and set of the burning and I could not tolerate any creams or soaps after that. I am thankfully better now.  The sensitive vulva can dry out as we age and the low levels of hormones make it more sensitive to chemicals etc.  Also years of using soaps which contain sodium sulfate, perfume is bad for the vulva.   Problem is even feminine washes contain this irritant.  Best to keep it soap free and moisturized.  Some women think salt baths help relieve but salt dries out that area which is already raw so I wouldn't recommend it.  I personally use extra v. olive oil which I massage into the vulva.  Hope you get better soon.
I go through the same symptoms ... No stds no yeast infection, bacteria, or bladder infection.. It usually occurs before my period and durin sex with my boyfriend I sometimes feel stinging too... I find when I drink lots of water and eat healthy it goes away... But if I don't shower daily and eat heathy it comes back... You're not the only one
I have the very same symtoms (symptoms) as you. The only thing is I don't have a womb. I can't keep my legs close it burns so bad. I need serious help!!!
Misery loves company, ladies!  I am 54 years of age and post-menopausal.  This is the third time in five years for vulva irritation.  It is a constant dry, burning feeling.  There is some redness along the vestibule and area just below the vagina.  I have very little, if any, itching and no discharge.  The symptoms are worse as the day progresses, and sweating seems to exacerbate the problem.  Nothing seems to provide relief.  It was back in June, 2007 that I first presented with this issue.  I self-treated with Clotrimazole vaginal cream.  Without effect, I visited my GYN.  He diagnosed “contact dermatitis of the vulva” and wrote an RX for Lidex steroid cream.  It must have cleared eventually because my records do not indicate a follow-up.  In February, 2010, I recall a very stubborn case.  I tried several vaginal creams such as Monistat and Metrogel (bad reaction to the latter).  My GYN was away but again prescribed steroid cream.  Started using it.  In the meantime, I saw another GYN.  Because of low back pain, my urine was tested.  I received positive UTI results and was put on antibiotics.  In each of those cases, the irritation subsided but only after many weeks of discomfort.  Here I am struggling with another flare-up.  I have used the steroid cream (albeit expired) with no relief.  My GYN is away but prescribed Mycolog (topical anti-fungal) to be used four times a day.  Turns out, this ointment is something I keep on hand, but the one I had expired.  I am using it, but still no change.  I have an appointment to see my GYN this week.  It is frustrating as there appears to be no simple answer for this affliction.  If so, we would all be sitting more comfortable.  You think?  
What did you find out, if anything?
What did you find out, if anything?
I had the same problem. My gynecologist said it has to do with premenaupause.if any body get any good news please let me know. I am desperate
I have the same thing have had all the test u have had. it drives me nuts. i go through lube heaps and i have found that putting ice cubes on there for a few seconds at a time.
There isnt any thing left, im going crazy. has any one found what this is. and why it is happening.
I have been to approximately 9 urologists in my life and none of them either believe or know the updates on it.  The one that diagnosed me, has been my urologist since 1981, and during 2004, I went through a divorce, didn't get any bills, therefore, they refuse to see me anymore.  He is an amazing urologist!  
But, thank you so much for your reply!

I know that I had gotten to the point to where I looked into disability with it, since it has been so bad, but there was "no such code for that condition" as I was told.....so what do ya do?  
I read your problem and it was like i had typed it myself. I am at my witts end and i dont know what to do, I have the same burning soreness, but there is nothing to see and all tests are negative, I was given hydrocortison cream and aqueous cream which didnt work, now I have been give oestrogen cream and the Dr thinks its menopause but the blood test for that came back negative, and now its itchy from that cream, I am giving it a week then going back, there is no let up!!! It is better if I am lying down but sitting is awful, I am so fed up, its effecting my every day life as I cant concentrate on anything, did you come to a conculsion?
Hi, I had this problem too.  I was miserable for 7 months.  Young and old experience this burning.  Soap is the culprit, do not use soap in the vag. opening at all.  My gyn prescribed Gynoflor vag tablets which is the good bacteria with a little estrogen.  I used 8 tablets out of 12 and it worked for me, the burning cleared up, although you may experience some burning inside for some days but it will clear up, be patient.

After that just avoid soaps (even the ones that say "no soap" for intimate use).  Massage extra virgin olive oil , it will moisturize and soothe.  Hope this helps......
I can't believe how many of us have this problem and yet doctors act as though we are crazy when we tell are symptoms.  I started having severe burning in the vulva area in 2005, and I, too, dreaded urinating because it would sting so bad.  I couldn't even put my thighs together because they felt like they were on fire. This went on 24/7 with no let-up.  I even put an ice pack inside my undies so I could work.  I went to a dozen doctors, had numerous tests taken which all came back negative, and tried at least 20 different meds.   A pharmacist finally convinced me to go see a pain specialist.  He prescribed methadone (10 mg twice daily), topamax (50 mg twice daily), and lexapro (20 mg once daily).  I have been doing fine since as long as I take the meds.  Once in awhile, I have a flare-up, but it is nothing like before.  Those three meds saved my life!  Hopefully some of you can get your doctor to recommend them for you.
Been reading all the comments, I was tested for bladder and yeast infections over the last 2 years. Had blood work done, came back all clear, finally discovered this form. Took the advice and did the sit baths in baking soda and water as well as printed off the info and gave it to my doctor.  Long and behold I was lacking ph level, yes needed an increase in estrogen.  My GP gave me a cream "estragyn".  All I can say it's like night and day!  
ladies! finding this thread has saved my sanity (for the time being). I too suffer from the symtoms (symptoms) described here. About three months ago I started experiencing a tingling in my vulva, followed by intense itching and burning a week or so later. I tried all the home remedies that usually help with yeast infections--cranberry juice, yogurt--I even bought over-the-counter UTI meds just in case. Nothing worked. During my period I started to feel better, but shortly after it ended symptoms started up again. I went to Planned Parenthood and got tested for STDs (I had recently broken up with my boyfriend and slept with an ex who swore he'd just been tested.. but I wanted to be sure) all came back negative but they diagnosed me with BV.

I was skeptical about the diagnosis because I had taken a home vaginal PH test and it came back normal--plus discharge was clear-ish, stringy, with no odor. Anyway I took the oral meds for BV for a week--no relief. Went back to doctor--she said all was normal but prescribed an anti-fungal cream with a steroid which I swear has been making it worse. I even tried gold bond powder, thinking maybe it was a female jock itch--but that made it worse too.

I'm going to try the baking soda baths and olive oil and report back. I honestly believed when this all started that it was psychological--I felt intense guilt and anxiety for sleeping with my ex coming out of a 4-year relationship, and having always enjoyed being STD free, I felt incredibly paranoid. But even after all tests came back negative the burning is still here. Sitting for long periods of time is unbearable, and urine and discharge seem to really trigger it. When I wake up (falling asleep is a challenge) I feel ok, but symptoms worsen as the day goes on.

Wearing pants is the worst. I am most comfortable in my bathrobe with no underwear. I;ve also been experiencing night sweats for the past couple of days--I'm wondering if there's a relation. I'm usually very cold by nature and have recently been much warmer than usual. Weather has been in the 50s  (and colder at night) but I had to start using my AC when I sleep and still, this morning I woke up with my shirt soaked.

It ***** that so many of us are experiencing this problem and the medical profession can not help... but I'd rather not take synthetic meds anyway.

good luck to you all. xoxo.
Hello again, I first posted to this forum back in July.  At that point and with the summer's heat, I was at wit's end.  Sitting too long and also sweating made the discomfort (burning and red rash) far worse.  Since visiting my gyn back in the summer, I have been using an estrogen cream twice a week.  (Then he said that I had the vagina of an old lady.)  It has made all the difference, and the cool weather has helped too.  The situation is not perfect because stress and sweating in that area can still aggravate it.  The problem is, however, no longer my every other thought.  As Scooter7777 put it, it is like night and day.  Good luck to all of you!  I wish to thank you for your posts, and I hope that more of you will achieve resolution.  
This all sounds familar.  I'm 46 years old and have begun experiencing a burning sensation in the opening of the vulva area.  The burning comes and goes, but at night it seems worse.  I've had tests for UTI and even a pelvic smear but they all came back negative.  My doctor who has been practising for donkey years said my symptoms are due to getting older and coming closer to menopause ... dryness .. because of decreasing estrogen levels.  She said to drink a lot of water ... and because it's the reality of life, I just have to live with it ... it will ebb and flow.  Alas!
I found this forum a few days ago. I was desperately looking for an answer for my burning vulva. I started reading these posts sitting in bed with a cold patch between my legs, feeling a little better because I am not alone and this is sth doctors haven' t diagnosed properly yet ( excuse my English, I am Spaniard)
I have had the same synptoms for so many years  I can hardly remember when they started and I ve been prescribed anti- fungal creams on countless occasions, all the tests are negative, my vagina is healthy so my doctor thinks I am just nuts. Last time I decided to go to the dermatologist. She was young, too bad I thought, the old ones don t have a clue, what about the starters. She prescribed
Na borate 2% sorry if the translation is not correct
(Borato de Na) put some on a pad for 10 min twice a day. I also started to take Magnesium w potassium, this is sth you can get over the counter

After 2 days the unbearable burn is gone. I suggest you read about the ph diet. I feel that my urine and also the white discharge I have are due to my acid ph. Magnessium and potassium are good to neutralize acid, also green tea. I will  also take citracal and avoid coffee chocolate diary products, alcohol sugar.  I am starting to think that my problem is due to the way I eat

We won t solve this problem with creams antibiotics or anti fungal remedies. We ve tried everyting already. We need to find out why it is burning   My guess is that there s sth coming out that way that is acid???

I ll keep you posted and thanks for being out there!!  Alicia
I have had the same symptoms you have for almost 3 years! The first obgyn midwife thought I was crazy but ruled out cancer as my paps were normal. After a year of being told "you're fine" I switched Drs and she found BV at my first appt. Its basically the PH level is off and put me on drugs that didnt work. I've been trying different home remedies to no avail...You can have a bacterial infection with a negative test...research and see what works for you. I'm still trying to get relief. Also dont rule out a TP allergy! It effects many good luck!
Did anyone ever figure this out? I am dying here. Comes and goes. Gets worse as the day goes on. I have done standard test and bv treatments and it just comes roaring back. Worse after sitting a lot but mostly after i pee. Ok first thing in the morning help help help help
This is the very thing my doctor treated me for with hormone replacement. It completely went away and I actually felt normal for months. But , I was laid off from my job, now I have no insurance and the hormones are so expensive that I cant afford them so the burning is back after 3 months of no hormones.  Does anyone know of a natural way of helping this condition?
In regards to your post ( feduptotheneck ) , I had a question. Did you have a hysterectomy? The reason I am asking is I also have this problem, and often wondered if hormone replacement could help me. My Dr. has me on estrogen cream but thats not working. My husband lost his job also and we lost insurance but would look into it as soon as I could if I knew it might help. Im 38 and been going thru this for over 2 years with no relief. For me it started a few months after having a full hysterectomy but didnt know if that was the culprit. I know many many women who seem to be doing so well and till I found this site I thought I was the only one. I was curious if you had a full hysterectomy though, cause then I know there might be hope one day and I could try the hormone replacement.
After years of problems following cervical cancer and complications during a pregnancy, I couldn't get doctors to take reoccurring and persistent symptoms seriously. When 5 years of doctors and medications could no longer resolve one issue of reoccurring yeast infections which caused burning, itching and severe irritation during urination, I was sent to an immunologist. He ran a series of specialized blood tests on red and white blood cells efficiency rate to fight off bacterial infections. The tests confirmed I had a systemic immunity problem. During my illnesses something (cortisol possibly) caused a condition that blocked red & white blood cells from fighting off infections. This resulted in an over growth of candidis albicanis (yeast) which overtook my system. I was treated for 35 days with ketaconazole (Nizoral) an anti-fungal medication. It cleared up the problem but unfortunately I was allergic to the meds, so can never use it again should the condition return. The immunologist who treated me stated that this is a condition and treatment very few doctors are aware of. It also never shows up on standard blood tests and requires expensive and specialized blood tests by an immunologist.  
I think my daughter may have the same thing. She is being treated by a specialist and he told her about the baking soda sitz baths.
How long before your daughter had no symptoms?
I just recently developed this for the first time in my life. I am 37 years old and have not been sexually active in any way for at least two years. I am on birth control to control monthly mood swings and my complexion. I am bad about taking my bc regularly.

For some reason I did not get my period. I admit that may be because I messed up my bc schedule this week. I expected it to come wo days ago. Instead, I have intense itching, which last night became unbearable. It felt hot and itchy to the point it felt like poison ivy or something. Nothing would get rid of it-- Topicort, cortisone, vagisil. It was torture. I rinsed with water and cetaphyl because after awhile I couldn't even stand the medicated cream on their either.

I ended up putting ice in a zip lock bag and then wrapping the bag in a clean, old t-shirt. I live alone. So fortunately I could do this and not feel ridiculous. I placed the ice/shirt/bag on the itchy area.... Ladies, it was a miracle. It was total relief from the intense itching and burning. The shirt prevented the area from becoming cold. I felt quite comfortable. And the itching completely stopped.

I have to saw I felt small bumps on the inner labia where the hair grows... Bumps like follicilitis or something. I do not shave there, so this itching is not shaving related.

FYI- I initially tried wrapping the ice bag with a hand towel, but the material was too think. A cotton t-shirt was perfect.

I REALLY FEEL LIKE THIS SAVED MY SANITY.  
this is such an old post but I totally have the same symptoms and it's been so many months now I'm going crazy and have been to so many doctors. I'm hoping since you posted this so long ago that you had found some relief and could maybe give me some hope if you even ever see this.
You most Likely have a yeast infection that was not treated that turned into a bladder/ urinary track infection .. I would really go see a doc. Bc u have had it so long and stop using soap or anything .. I oust to get them all the time there was a day I wouldn't have them and I got a bladder infection bc I didn't treat it :( hope u feel better
I've been to several doctors including uroligist. I'm seeing specialist obgyn now. Cultures all come back negitive and I can see by all the other posts that this is most likely hopeless. Just hoping someone else has had some luck with some type of treatment. I had track infection and also yeast but everything is neg now and still have the burning. Totally hoepless feeling. Usually starts out not so bad in the morning but just continues to get worse all day as I sit at my desk. If anyone as found any treatments that have helped for them would love to hear from you.
yes to all of the above burning sensation with added constant need to urinate. Went to Docs was tested for STI's all negative had 2 UTI tests also negative. Just looked up the contraceptive pill I'm on to see side effects as symptoms ease for short intervals during the evening. This pill was prescribed for Menopausal symptoms as had hysterectomy two years ago (still have ovaries) The pill I'm on is qlaira and listed for the uncommon and rare side effects are candida infection, fungal infections of the vulva and vagina, vaginal infection... Rare side effects are Urinary tract infection, bacterial inflammation of the vagina, oral herpes, pelvic inflammatory disease... I have had this for 4 weeks now and am stopping this pill right away...I have been on this pill for 4 months, like others the first month was fab... but not feeling so fantastic thereafter...I'll come back to you in a week and let you know if all has cleared up.... errghh who'd be a woman!
Ubertrecker, you're post was years ago but I've read and read about thus vulva itching burning sting.  When you wrote the post I'm replying to, you had a wet washcloth with frozen veggies in it.  Today I have a frozen water bottle between my legs as I have had for the past two weeks.  All tests are "normal" but I am miserable 24-7.  

I can't sleep through the night and I'm useless around the house.  I cannot leave the house because I cannot tolerate the stinging and itching.  I wonder if you've ever recovered.  Do you have any advice?  When reading the comments, one can see that we are not all suffering from the same thing but you described me perfectly.  I get no relief whatsoever. I am perfectly miserable.  I will continue reading and hope that I hear from you.  Robyn
I've read through all of these posts and find it comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this frustration.  I also find it disheartening that there is no definitive "cure".  I'm 30 years old and have been dealing with the burning, itching and hot "sensation" that has been described on this thread since September 2012  - three months before my wedding.  Ugh.   On top of the symptoms mentioned, sex is uncomfortable and I normally bleed during and after for a few days.  I am currently with my 5th GYN, tested negative for all STDs, BV, yeast, etc., etc.  multiple times.  My current GYN has me on a small amount of Estrace dauil with a 3G dose once a week.  I'm also taking a topical Estrodiol compound daily.   I have felt some relief but the symptoms are on again, off again.  I HAVE gotten relief from the night sweats I have suffered from for the past few years - which is fantastic.  I really just want some answers and something to relieve my issues for good.  It has significantly hurt me and my husbands sex life - I just want to be back to Normal.  As an aside,  I was diagnosed with MRKH when I was 16 - no uterus, but do have (apparently semi-functioning) ovaries which could explain the hormone imbalance.  Thank you all for your posts...it truly does help to know that I'm not the only frustrated one!  I'll keep you all in my prayers and look forward to furtur posts!
I think this issues are due to liver not able to handle food correctly. Get your SGPT and SGOT blood tests done. If they are high, you can take LIV52 DS  and see the results.
I have an itch that reminds me of the excema I had, as a child.  I also have no odour/discharge etc.  the itching has caused bleeding -sometimes LOTS, sometimes just from abrasions from rubbing the area with toilet tissue or my bath towel.   Being 57, having had a hysterectomy years ago - everything but the ovaries taken - I was given Premarin cream.   I have great hopes for it's rebuilding the collagen for my urethra, etc., from it's vaginal application, but I think it just exacerbated the itch and inflammation when used topically.   For the past three days, I have been rubbing a generous quantity of green aloe vera gel into my vulva - from anus to mons - and I think this is FINALLY something that is helping.  I have used everything - everything !!! - and maybe something this "easy" and natural will finally stop it.   I mean, I even checked for worms with a mirror, the itching would be sooooo intense.   And I am clean - daily showers, clean linens, etc.,  have been on antibiotics maybe five times in my whole life,  active sex life with my equally clean spouse.  Um, exactly what are the names of the seven dwarves of menopause???  We women are so lucky:  periods; the "messy", receiving end of sex;  childbirth;  a yeast infection or two;  menopause;  drying, itchy tissue.   Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!  So, for now I have my pump bottle of aloe vera in my washroom and I urinate or defecate, clean myself, then "treat" the whole area with my green, cooling gel.   Hormone free.   Won't thin my skin tissue, like some creams.      Hope it lasts, for me.   Hope it may help you.  
hi this is nettie1261 I so am troubled by all this I have been on anti biotics  creams candida now I am on oestrogen pessaries . I have days were I cant help myself the pain causes me to scratch till I bleed and inside I cant describe the pain so I sypathise with all you ladies. I can relate to everything you have wrote on here  dolliver60 and I feel I want to cut everything off to stop the pain. I am at my whits end now the stress in its self is enough and I feel my marriage is suffering too. I know now what it is and hormone is the problem . I am a clean person but days I get is so sore I cant even wash because of the burning. to ease my pain now I rub a bit of vasaline down below and yes it does help . I am glad I found this community
Your reply is exactly what I think is going on with me. Very informative and I will begin with something like the vaginal moisturiser.  Thankyou.
I too suffered for years with this condition.Had every test known to man and even a biopsy showed nothing.At times i thought i would go crazy with the itching and burning.Felt like worms under the skin.Just last week i was looking at another website on the subject and came upon a comment someone made.She suggested making a paste of BAKING POWDER AND WATER.i THOUGHT WHY NOT? Everyone has some in their cupboard. It was the miracle I've been looking for the last 30 years.I only used it 3 times and no more itching or burning . What a blessed relief! So simple but so effective.I feel like a new woman!!!
Is this true? Are you still symptom free? I will try anything. This has been such an unbearable 2 months. Lidocaine helps temporarily, but I want this to end. Thank you mydoglexi. Please reply. xoxo