vulva hot, stinging and burning

I'm posting here because I really am at my wits end and hope maybe peple will have some suggestions as to what is going on with me! For the past year, I have been experiencing burning and stinging in my vulva (which is NOT made worse by peeing), which comes and goes but can last for over a month and is extremely uncomfortable. The area looks normal, and there is no unusual discharge. The last time I had these symptoms was in March - they came on suddenly with a stinging sensation, and lasted for 6 weeks. During this time, I was tested for all STDs (all negative), tested for bacterial infections (negative) and treated repeatedly for thrush (even though all lab tests came back negative). Eventually, the symptoms eased on their own. I dont use chemical irritants etc so dont think thats the problem. My symptoms returned 5 weeks ago - again, all tests are negative, I was treated again for thrush (no relief, and lab test came back negative).

Could the repeated topical thrush treatment have made things worse? Also, I've heard of conditions called lactobacilliosis and cytolytic vaginosis (overgrowth of lactobacilli). My symptoms do not appear to be related to my menstrual cycle - there is no particular pattern - but could overgrowth of lactobacilli still be my problem? I would like to hear from anyone who has suffered from lactobacilli overgrowth.

Sorry for the long post but I really would appreciate some advice!
What did you find out, if anything?
I had the same problem. My gynecologist said it has to do with premenaupause.if any body get any good news please let me know. I am desperate
I have the same thing have had all the test u have had. it drives me nuts. i go through lube heaps and i have found that putting ice cubes on there for a few seconds at a time.
There isnt any thing left, im going crazy. has any one found what this is. and why it is happening.
I have been to approximately 9 urologists in my life and none of them either believe or know the updates on it.  The one that diagnosed me, has been my urologist since 1981, and during 2004, I went through a divorce, didn't get any bills, therefore, they refuse to see me anymore.  He is an amazing urologist!  
But, thank you so much for your reply!

I know that I had gotten to the point to where I looked into disability with it, since it has been so bad, but there was "no such code for that condition" as I was told.....so what do ya do?  
I read your problem and it was like i had typed it myself. I am at my witts end and i dont know what to do, I have the same burning soreness, but there is nothing to see and all tests are negative, I was given hydrocortison cream and aqueous cream which didnt work, now I have been give oestrogen cream and the Dr thinks its menopause but the blood test for that came back negative, and now its itchy from that cream, I am giving it a week then going back, there is no let up!!! It is better if I am lying down but sitting is awful, I am so fed up, its effecting my every day life as I cant concentrate on anything, did you come to a conculsion?
Hi, I had this problem too.  I was miserable for 7 months.  Young and old experience this burning.  Soap is the culprit, do not use soap in the vag. opening at all.  My gyn prescribed Gynoflor vag tablets which is the good bacteria with a little estrogen.  I used 8 tablets out of 12 and it worked for me, the burning cleared up, although you may experience some burning inside for some days but it will clear up, be patient.

After that just avoid soaps (even the ones that say "no soap" for intimate use).  Massage extra virgin olive oil , it will moisturize and soothe.  Hope this helps......
I can't believe how many of us have this problem and yet doctors act as though we are crazy when we tell are symptoms.  I started having severe burning in the vulva area in 2005, and I, too, dreaded urinating because it would sting so bad.  I couldn't even put my thighs together because they felt like they were on fire. This went on 24/7 with no let-up.  I even put an ice pack inside my undies so I could work.  I went to a dozen doctors, had numerous tests taken which all came back negative, and tried at least 20 different meds.   A pharmacist finally convinced me to go see a pain specialist.  He prescribed methadone (10 mg twice daily), topamax (50 mg twice daily), and lexapro (20 mg once daily).  I have been doing fine since as long as I take the meds.  Once in awhile, I have a flare-up, but it is nothing like before.  Those three meds saved my life!  Hopefully some of you can get your doctor to recommend them for you.
Been reading all the comments, I was tested for bladder and yeast infections over the last 2 years. Had blood work done, came back all clear, finally discovered this form. Took the advice and did the sit baths in baking soda and water as well as printed off the info and gave it to my doctor.  Long and behold I was lacking ph level, yes needed an increase in estrogen.  My GP gave me a cream "estragyn".  All I can say it's like night and day!  
ladies! finding this thread has saved my sanity (for the time being). I too suffer from the symtoms described here. About three months ago I started experiencing a tingling in my vulva, followed by intense itching and burning a week or so later. I tried all the home remedies that usually help with yeast infections--cranberry juice, yogurt--I even bought over-the-counter UTI meds just in case. Nothing worked. During my period I started to feel better, but shortly after it ended symptoms started up again. I went to Planned Parenthood and got tested for STDs (I had recently broken up with my boyfriend and slept with an ex who swore he'd just been tested.. but I wanted to be sure) all came back negative but they diagnosed me with BV.

I was skeptical about the diagnosis because I had taken a home vaginal PH test and it came back normal--plus discharge was clear-ish, stringy, with no odor. Anyway I took the oral meds for BV for a week--no relief. Went back to doctor--she said all was normal but prescribed an anti-fungal cream with a steroid which I swear has been making it worse. I even tried gold bond powder, thinking maybe it was a female jock itch--but that made it worse too.

I'm going to try the baking soda baths and olive oil and report back. I honestly believed when this all started that it was psychological--I felt intense guilt and anxiety for sleeping with my ex coming out of a 4-year relationship, and having always enjoyed being STD free, I felt incredibly paranoid. But even after all tests came back negative the burning is still here. Sitting for long periods of time is unbearable, and urine and discharge seem to really trigger it. When I wake up (falling asleep is a challenge) I feel ok, but symptoms worsen as the day goes on.

Wearing pants is the worst. I am most comfortable in my bathrobe with no underwear. I;ve also been experiencing night sweats for the past couple of days--I'm wondering if there's a relation. I'm usually very cold by nature and have recently been much warmer than usual. Weather has been in the 50s  (and colder at night) but I had to start using my AC when I sleep and still, this morning I woke up with my shirt soaked.

It ***** that so many of us are experiencing this problem and the medical profession can not help... but I'd rather not take synthetic meds anyway.

good luck to you all. xoxo.
Hello again, I first posted to this forum back in July.  At that point and with the summer's heat, I was at wit's end.  Sitting too long and also sweating made the discomfort (burning and red rash) far worse.  Since visiting my gyn back in the summer, I have been using an estrogen cream twice a week.  (Then he said that I had the vagina of an old lady.)  It has made all the difference, and the cool weather has helped too.  The situation is not perfect because stress and sweating in that area can still aggravate it.  The problem is, however, no longer my every other thought.  As Scooter7777 put it, it is like night and day.  Good luck to all of you!  I wish to thank you for your posts, and I hope that more of you will achieve resolution.  
This all sounds familar.  I'm 46 years old and have begun experiencing a burning sensation in the opening of the vulva area.  The burning comes and goes, but at night it seems worse.  I've had tests for UTI and even a pelvic smear but they all came back negative.  My doctor who has been practising for donkey years said my symptoms are due to getting older and coming closer to menopause ... dryness .. because of decreasing estrogen levels.  She said to drink a lot of water ... and because it's the reality of life, I just have to live with it ... it will ebb and flow.  Alas!
I found this forum a few days ago. I was desperately looking for an answer for my burning vulva. I started reading these posts sitting in bed with a cold patch between my legs, feeling a little better because I am not alone and this is sth doctors haven' t diagnosed properly yet ( excuse my English, I am Spaniard)
I have had the same synptoms for so many years  I can hardly remember when they started and I ve been prescribed anti- fungal creams on countless occasions, all the tests are negative, my vagina is healthy so my doctor thinks I am just nuts. Last time I decided to go to the dermatologist. She was young, too bad I thought, the old ones don t have a clue, what about the starters. She prescribed
Na borate 2% sorry if the translation is not correct
(Borato de Na) put some on a pad for 10 min twice a day. I also started to take Magnesium w potassium, this is sth you can get over the counter

After 2 days the unbearable burn is gone. I suggest you read about the ph diet. I feel that my urine and also the white discharge I have are due to my acid ph. Magnessium and potassium are good to neutralize acid, also green tea. I will  also take citracal and avoid coffee chocolate diary products, alcohol sugar.  I am starting to think that my problem is due to the way I eat

We won t solve this problem with creams antibiotics or anti fungal remedies. We ve tried everyting already. We need to find out why it is burning   My guess is that there s sth coming out that way that is acid???

I ll keep you posted and thanks for being out there!!  Alicia
I have had the same symptoms you have for almost 3 years! The first obgyn midwife thought I was crazy but ruled out cancer as my paps were normal. After a year of being told "you're fine" I switched Drs and she found BV at my first appt. Its basically the PH level is off and put me on drugs that didnt work. I've been trying different home remedies to no avail...You can have a bacterial infection with a negative test...research and see what works for you. I'm still trying to get relief. Also dont rule out a TP allergy! It effects many good luck!
Did anyone ever figure this out? I am dying here. Comes and goes. Gets worse as the day goes on. I have done standard test and bv treatments and it just comes roaring back. Worse after sitting a lot but mostly after i pee. Ok first thing in the morning help help help help
This is the very thing my doctor treated me for with hormone replacement. It completely went away and I actually felt normal for months. But , I was laid off from my job, now I have no insurance and the hormones are so expensive that I cant afford them so the burning is back after 3 months of no hormones.  Does anyone know of a natural way of helping this condition?
In regards to your post ( feduptotheneck ) , I had a question. Did you have a hysterectomy? The reason I am asking is I also have this problem, and often wondered if hormone replacement could help me. My Dr. has me on estrogen cream but thats not working. My husband lost his job also and we lost insurance but would look into it as soon as I could if I knew it might help. Im 38 and been going thru this for over 2 years with no relief. For me it started a few months after having a full hysterectomy but didnt know if that was the culprit. I know many many women who seem to be doing so well and till I found this site I thought I was the only one. I was curious if you had a full hysterectomy though, cause then I know there might be hope one day and I could try the hormone replacement.
After years of problems following cervical cancer and complications during a pregnancy, I couldn't get doctors to take reoccurring and persistent symptoms seriously. When 5 years of doctors and medications could no longer resolve one issue of reoccurring yeast infections which caused burning, itching and severe irritation during urination, I was sent to an immunologist. He ran a series of specialized blood tests on red and white blood cells efficiency rate to fight off bacterial infections. The tests confirmed I had a systemic immunity problem. During my illnesses something (cortisol possibly) caused a condition that blocked red & white blood cells from fighting off infections. This resulted in an over growth of candidis albicanis (yeast) which overtook my system. I was treated for 35 days with ketaconazole (Nizoral) an anti-fungal medication. It cleared up the problem but unfortunately I was allergic to the meds, so can never use it again should the condition return. The immunologist who treated me stated that this is a condition and treatment very few doctors are aware of. It also never shows up on standard blood tests and requires expensive and specialized blood tests by an immunologist.  
I think my daughter may have the same thing. She is being treated by a specialist and he told her about the baking soda sitz baths.
How long before your daughter had no symptoms?
I just recently developed this for the first time in my life. I am 37 years old and have not been sexually active in any way for at least two years. I am on birth control to control monthly mood swings and my complexion. I am bad about taking my bc regularly.

For some reason I did not get my period. I admit that may be because I messed up my bc schedule this week. I expected it to come wo days ago. Instead, I have intense itching, which last night became unbearable. It felt hot and itchy to the point it felt like poison ivy or something. Nothing would get rid of it-- Topicort, cortisone, vagisil. It was torture. I rinsed with water and cetaphyl because after awhile I couldn't even stand the medicated cream on their either.

I ended up putting ice in a zip lock bag and then wrapping the bag in a clean, old t-shirt. I live alone. So fortunately I could do this and not feel ridiculous. I placed the ice/shirt/bag on the itchy area.... Ladies, it was a miracle. It was total relief from the intense itching and burning. The shirt prevented the area from becoming cold. I felt quite comfortable. And the itching completely stopped.

I have to saw I felt small bumps on the inner labia where the hair grows... Bumps like follicilitis or something. I do not shave there, so this itching is not shaving related.

FYI- I initially tried wrapping the ice bag with a hand towel, but the material was too think. A cotton t-shirt was perfect.

I REALLY FEEL LIKE THIS SAVED MY SANITY.  
this is such an old post but I totally have the same symptoms and it's been so many months now I'm going crazy and have been to so many doctors. I'm hoping since you posted this so long ago that you had found some relief and could maybe give me some hope if you even ever see this.
You most Likely have a yeast infection that was not treated that turned into a bladder/ urinary track infection .. I would really go see a doc. Bc u have had it so long and stop using soap or anything .. I oust to get them all the time there was a day I wouldn't have them and I got a bladder infection bc I didn't treat it :( hope u feel better
I've been to several doctors including uroligist. I'm seeing specialist obgyn now. Cultures all come back negitive and I can see by all the other posts that this is most likely hopeless. Just hoping someone else has had some luck with some type of treatment. I had track infection and also yeast but everything is neg now and still have the burning. Totally hoepless feeling. Usually starts out not so bad in the morning but just continues to get worse all day as I sit at my desk. If anyone as found any treatments that have helped for them would love to hear from you.
yes to all of the above burning sensation with added constant need to urinate. Went to Docs was tested for STI's all negative had 2 UTI tests also negative. Just looked up the contraceptive pill I'm on to see side effects as symptoms ease for short intervals during the evening. This pill was prescribed for Menopausal symptoms as had hysterectomy two years ago (still have ovaries) The pill I'm on is qlaira and listed for the uncommon and rare side effects are candida infection, fungal infections of the vulva and vagina, vaginal infection... Rare side effects are Urinary tract infection, bacterial inflammation of the vagina, oral herpes, pelvic inflammatory disease... I have had this for 4 weeks now and am stopping this pill right away...I have been on this pill for 4 months, like others the first month was fab... but not feeling so fantastic thereafter...I'll come back to you in a week and let you know if all has cleared up.... errghh who'd be a woman!
Ubertrecker, you're post was years ago but I've read and read about thus vulva itching burning sting.  When you wrote the post I'm replying to, you had a wet washcloth with frozen veggies in it.  Today I have a frozen water bottle between my legs as I have had for the past two weeks.  All tests are "normal" but I am miserable 24-7.  

I can't sleep through the night and I'm useless around the house.  I cannot leave the house because I cannot tolerate the stinging and itching.  I wonder if you've ever recovered.  Do you have any advice?  When reading the comments, one can see that we are not all suffering from the same thing but you described me perfectly.  I get no relief whatsoever. I am perfectly miserable.  I will continue reading and hope that I hear from you.  Robyn
I've read through all of these posts and find it comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this frustration.  I also find it disheartening that there is no definitive "cure".  I'm 30 years old and have been dealing with the burning, itching and hot "sensation" that has been described on this thread since September 2012  - three months before my wedding.  Ugh.   On top of the symptoms mentioned, sex is uncomfortable and I normally bleed during and after for a few days.  I am currently with my 5th GYN, tested negative for all STDs, BV, yeast, etc., etc.  multiple times.  My current GYN has me on a small amount of Estrace dauil with a 3G dose once a week.  I'm also taking a topical Estrodiol compound daily.   I have felt some relief but the symptoms are on again, off again.  I HAVE gotten relief from the night sweats I have suffered from for the past few years - which is fantastic.  I really just want some answers and something to relieve my issues for good.  It has significantly hurt me and my husbands sex life - I just want to be back to Normal.  As an aside,  I was diagnosed with MRKH when I was 16 - no uterus, but do have (apparently semi-functioning) ovaries which could explain the hormone imbalance.  Thank you all for your posts...it truly does help to know that I'm not the only frustrated one!  I'll keep you all in my prayers and look forward to furtur posts!
I think this issues are due to liver not able to handle food correctly. Get your SGPT and SGOT blood tests done. If they are high, you can take LIV52 DS  and see the results.
I have an itch that reminds me of the excema I had, as a child.  I also have no odour/discharge etc.  the itching has caused bleeding -sometimes LOTS, sometimes just from abrasions from rubbing the area with toilet tissue or my bath towel.   Being 57, having had a hysterectomy years ago - everything but the ovaries taken - I was given Premarin cream.   I have great hopes for it's rebuilding the collagen for my urethra, etc., from it's vaginal application, but I think it just exacerbated the itch and inflammation when used topically.   For the past three days, I have been rubbing a generous quantity of green aloe vera gel into my vulva - from anus to mons - and I think this is FINALLY something that is helping.  I have used everything - everything !!! - and maybe something this "easy" and natural will finally stop it.   I mean, I even checked for worms with a mirror, the itching would be sooooo intense.   And I am clean - daily showers, clean linens, etc.,  have been on antibiotics maybe five times in my whole life,  active sex life with my equally clean spouse.  Um, exactly what are the names of the seven dwarves of menopause???  We women are so lucky:  periods; the "messy", receiving end of sex;  childbirth;  a yeast infection or two;  menopause;  drying, itchy tissue.   Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!  So, for now I have my pump bottle of aloe vera in my washroom and I urinate or defecate, clean myself, then "treat" the whole area with my green, cooling gel.   Hormone free.   Won't thin my skin tissue, like some creams.      Hope it lasts, for me.   Hope it may help you.  
hi this is nettie1261 I so am troubled by all this I have been on anti biotics  creams candida now I am on oestrogen pessaries . I have days were I cant help myself the pain causes me to scratch till I bleed and inside I cant describe the pain so I sypathise with all you ladies. I can relate to everything you have wrote on here  dolliver60 and I feel I want to cut everything off to stop the pain. I am at my whits end now the stress in its self is enough and I feel my marriage is suffering too. I know now what it is and hormone is the problem . I am a clean person but days I get is so sore I cant even wash because of the burning. to ease my pain now I rub a bit of vasaline down below and yes it does help . I am glad I found this community
Your reply is exactly what I think is going on with me. Very informative and I will begin with something like the vaginal moisturiser.  Thankyou.
I too suffered for years with this condition.Had every test known to man and even a biopsy showed nothing.At times i thought i would go crazy with the itching and burning.Felt like worms under the skin.Just last week i was looking at another website on the subject and came upon a comment someone made.She suggested making a paste of BAKING POWDER AND WATER.i THOUGHT WHY NOT? Everyone has some in their cupboard. It was the miracle I've been looking for the last 30 years.I only used it 3 times and no more itching or burning . What a blessed relief! So simple but so effective.I feel like a new woman!!!
Is this true? Are you still symptom free? I will try anything. This has been such an unbearable 2 months. Lidocaine helps temporarily, but I want this to end. Thank you mydoglexi. Please reply. xoxo
I see that this is an old, old post.  However, get tested for diabetes. I am a small person and was not overweight with no family background of diabetes.  I was pre diabetic and once began losing a little weight and watched the sugars and white foods, I have no longer had the problem.  I, also, only wear cotton panties now. Hope this problem has long since passed!
I have suffered for 2 years with this throbbing, burning pain only on my left side and no one seems to know what it is. I will try this immediately.  Thank you for the tip :)
lisabobisa
I have had the same problems as most of the women posting on this blog.  It started in 2004 after I had a very bad kind of bacteria colonize in my sinus's and had to go on massive amounts of antibiotics and other medications to get rid of it.  During those few months, my body broke down and I developed shingles on my hoo ha (yes you can get shingles on your vagina).  My OB/GYN tested for herpes.  The results verified that is was herpes 3 and not 2 the sexually transmitted disease (I was in a committed relationship).   The sores healed up but I was left with this burning sensation (that felt kind of like a UTI) that would get worse as the day went on and keep me up at night.  More antibiotics and yeast pills but the pain stayed.  Finally I was sent to a pain specialist and he put me on Gabapentin, what a miracle it was!  It is under the diagnosis of Post herpetic neuralgia, PHN.  Luckily, this is NOT a drug you can develop an addiction too.  At the time of diagnosis all I wanted was relief and to not be sick.  The antibiotics finally cleared up my infection and slowly I returned to health, but even ten years later I always wondered why the "sensation" would still come and go.  Was it really PHN or something else?  So a few months ago I decided to see if I could stop the gabapentin all together.  The only side effect I get from the gabapentin is being a little numb to things, it is a nerve blocker after all.   I had my new OB/GYN run all kinds of tests and everything was clear no infections or abnormalities.  I dropped all the way down to 150mg a day but that is where the irritating sensation came back.  The pain goes from the inside of my vagina up my spine so to speak hence the PHN nerve diagnosis.  My gut tells me it's not PHN so I look on the web from time to time to see what else it might be.  My point to this post is that finding a way to numb the sensation has allowed me to live a normal life and get a decent night’s sleep. Whether it is PHN or something else is to be determined.  I take my pill around 4-6 pm so that it is in my system by bedtime and sleep well at night.  BTW, before I was diagnosed with shingles/PHN I took massive amounts of Advil to dull the pain, unfortunately I became “sensitive” to ibuprofen and aspirin (ibuprofen has aspirin in it) which is really bad.  If you take too much and become “sensitive” It is like having and allergic reaction and having anaphylaxis.  So beware don’t over use Advil to dull the sensation.  Hope this helps.  
Im having the same symptoms of you and have all negative tests from Gyno. Now on 3rd visit to Vulva Dermatologist. I dont know if she will do a biopsy. I have been wearing tampons for a few weeks and it is not helping with this soreness around Labia. Let us know what happens with your Dermatologist. Good luck!
It sounds like your symptoms could add up to be a condition called Vulvodynia.  The condition usually consists of stinging or pain in the vulva area. People usually go through many tests all coming back negative and rarely get a proper diagnoses because it is not widely know of. It is caused by inflammation. My suggestion would be to research this further online and if your symptoms seem to match up talk to your doctor. Hope this helps!
I have been having these same issues for the last 4 years. I have seen several gyns, internal med dr, urologist and gastro dr yet still no results. I had a partial hysterectomy 4 years ago and thought my symptoms were related to this procedure. My gyn placed me on probiotics and replens, didn't work. My job is stressful and this made my promblem even worse. The burning was so severe my thighs were even on fire and I would place ice packs on my vaginal area to cool, no discharge but the odor was unbearable. I would leave work to go home to shower and 1 hour later the odor was back. I am a very clean person and extremely particular about hygiens so needless to say felt like I was losing my mind and was extremely frustrated. My doctor told me I am very healthy and maybe this was in my head.  I wasn't sexually active due to being embarresed that my partner would detect the odor, he couldn't possible understand. I stop being social due to the embarressment that others would smell me. Urine smell, garbage and wet animals; smell just unbearable and would lite up an entire room. When I sit down it got worse, the heat would activate the odor, not to mention the stress. I was treated for yeast infections, BV and absolute no detection of STD and no discharge of symptoms of yeast infection but a liquid discharge at times, nothing helped. I was so desperate I would go to emergency room in the middle of night, it was mentally draining me and destroying my life, thank God for excellent insurance. I am currently 43 and was wondering if this is what life is in my 40s, I dread my 50s. I started doing research for myself since doctors couldn't help me, started with yeast cleanse from the health food store, Oregano to kill bacteria, probiotics, Tree tea oil suppositories for odor and kill bact, worked for a week or so but came back even stronger.I changed eating habits by deleting sweets, high carb foods, soft drinks, coffee and increased water to 120 oz daily; nothing worked but I have lost 22lbs so something good came out of this ordeal.  I did not know what else to do until I stumbled across a website 6 days ago that was discussing everything I was going thru.  HYDROGEN PEROXIDE AND BAKING SODA.  I know douching isn't good for you but I started by placing baking soda and warm water in douche bottle and cleaning daily, odor still lingered 4 hours later but still progress for me. I started washing my body with baking soda and water using no soaps, I was desperate to overcome this issue so I could have my life back. The sight I came across stated to use 50% peroxide and water solution, saok in tampon and insert for 30 minutes; no more than 1 hour. I started doing this immediately, the burning eased up, when I first did this the burning became more severe but 30 minutes later I started feeling some relief and no more odor. Still wasn't too optimistic due to trying so many remedies and no success. I placed the peroxide and water in douche bottle while in shower and felt the relief.  OMG; the burning was very little and no odor. Ok, the true test will be when I start moving around and sweating in my private quarters; will the odor and burning reappear, then another trip to the restroom. For 4 years I took a bath cloth, or wipes, soap, pantyliners, sensitive dove or natural soaps and extra panties wherever I go in the event I need to try to wash the odor away; how time consuming and frustrating. I dreaded business meeting that lasted more than a hour; the fear of my vaginal odor.  I went to work, 6 hours passed and no odor; feeling optimistic at this point. I decided to stick with this recommended home remedy, atleast until issue dimenish. I insert tampon in the am for 30 minutes to a hour and same thing before I go to bed. When I take a shower I douche with the peroxide and water. I haven't had to take a shower 3 to 4 times a day and slowly taking myself off the pantyliners. I haven't used my backup panties the last 3 day and I am gaining my confidence back.  I am now on day 6 and no odor ,Thank God! The peroxide is a healthy way to help kill unhealthy bacteria, I take probiotics daily and continue with a semi-balanced meal; lost 22 lbs since I cut out the sweets and high carbs. I hope this is helpful because I know the struggle and pain this causes to a person's life. I will continue until this issue is resolved. Good luck all!!!!
when did this 1st start happening and have yu changed or been doing anything like putting or cleaning in the vaginal area sense it started these mass pains?
any chemicals, shampoos, lubricants, sprays, perfumes, underwear or even stresses that have started or yu've started using right before this has started? various things that yu may have or be around may just be causing these pains, the v. doesn't always react an cause thing based off of something wrong with in it, but things around an relatively close to it will cause extreme problems.
for example that fact that there are vaginal discharges is for the vagina to cleans itself, and using things to clean it may cause it to actually react badly to this outside cleaner and become irritated an even make it hurt or itchy, just like how some creams made for things like thrush can actually cause the vagina to become worse an allergic to the creams just cause thats not what the problem is, in some cases even if it is thrush the creams can even make the vaginal area still become allergic to it causing yet another problem down there.
the fact of the matter is try not to let outside things in, close, or even around that area for a while, just let that area try to re-cooperate for a bit and see if that helps, if not there are still other possibilities, but for some people its just the simple things.

vaginal irritation an or itching along with some other things can also just be from stress, making it worse just by giving yu pains like this. for some people they can even get this burning/pinching/itching types of pain simply by wearing new panties an having their vagial area not be suited with them.

some vaginal problems of itchiness, burning sensations an more, can also seem random mostly when looking in the vaginal area but have other signs that aren't noticed because they aren't usually on or even near it.

such as, which yu specifically sound like yu (talking directly to Ubertrecker for this part) possible have; Psoriasis.. by my own opinion to what i read by yur description that is. but always look over things before believing what others think, yu know whats going on with yu an so forth here is a sight stating more about Psoriasis, and i know the 1st part seems like it wouldn't be that but its just describing the parts that are suppose to be scaly areas of skin, not the vagina though. just read to understand an see if this is the case or not.;
http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/problem/scaly-skin

most people usually don't connect 2 an 2 together with things that seem completely different an seem like they have no connection at all, thats why it is important to cover all possibilities an completely understand what the problem causes an connections are to the happenings.

for others who have such a bad problem with this that it actually stops yu from sleeping etc, yu might have Lichen sclerosus. an blaw blaw blaw heres a site for just itching an irratation in that area in general for all of yu.
i do have an pinching/burning sensation in the area an it comes and it is impossable to be confirtable, i know it is nothing sexual i have never had sex, been turned on, or done anything because iam a-sexual, a-romantic (if yu don't know what that means yu can look it up but pretty much means im not sexual at all an im not romantic at all. i just don't have feelings like that or ever have) an i have known this from a very young age. but anyways because of this i have never done anything close to things that would interfere with my area other than washing it which i later found out is bad to do because obviously as i said before, it does that itself. and washing it would be the same as washing yur the inside of yur lungs or any other organ with soap or even fire for that matter... in the end its just gonna mess it up. AYWAYS this whole site is very helpful i hope it helps some of yu as well, if not then there is still a way to fix the pain yu have to deal with an no not killing yurself, but i mean really help solve the problem.

some of yu are used to seeing some of these while at least yu have the chance of seeing newer possabilities, it list a bit of things i hope all of yu take the time to read through an see if anything matches or seems to be the problem yu have.
http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/problem/vaginal-vulva-problems/vulval-itching

know yur body like yu know yur name. if yu don't know yur name well at least yu have a body to live in to help yu find one, even a new one. thank yu for reading!
...after all the tests are done this is about hormonal levels and poor SAD/BAD diet thats all...use organic/ wildcrafted herbals to rev up and rev down so balance is restored...and use comfrey ointment night and morning or aloe vera gel...and vitamin E for elasticity...plantain ointment made with coconut oil for itching...huge energy in the first chakra..see Susun Weeds herbal Menopausal Years...with so much hormonal in-balance in everyone now due to dairy and meat industry fed animals hormone levels in everyone are all over the place ( seen the man boobs lately? )...get rid of the meat and dairy and sugars ( feeds yeasties and inflames the body everywhere ) and a lot of this will clear up...eat lots of greens and fruit sparingly...perhaps only grapes sometimes until this clears up...then maintain health and healing through wisdom...got to go inside to heal anything and understand the cause!...
This is crazy! These are the same symptoms I have experienced. No itching, no discharge, no odor, no pain when area is touched. I had a hysterectomy at age 27 and am now 60. The stinging/burning sensation gets worse as the day goes on and I am literally exhausted from lack of sleep. I have been on antibiotics nearly three weeks, as we thought it was a UTI, but the symptoms have remained. I have also used AZO product to help with the stinging. I will say that what made us believe it was a UTI is that I did have frequent and urgent urination when not using AZO. I was able to discontinue use of AZO two days into the antibiotic each time, but within 48 hours of completing the pills, I was back to all of the symptoms.
Really insightful reading all of this (I know its an old thread but there are a few new posts)... I (age 22) recently have been getting a tingling feeling around my genital area for the last 4 weeks, I was extremely paranoid that it was an STD although I have tested negative for everything several times. The tingling is all over my vulva, but more concentrated on the left side. A few nights ago this turned into an incessant burning feeling on the left side of my vulva, so much so that I couldn't sit down in my lectures at school. It has become almost paralytic.There is no pain during sex, nor pain to touch. It stresses me out so much that I have lost a lot of weight due to no appetite. I feel nauseous when I think about the feeling and it has really start to take over my life.

Until I read all of this I had convinced myself that it was HSV and I had simply missed/not noticed any inital breakouts. However, this makes MUCH more sense!! My gyno keeps prescribing thrush cream which I often don't bother using as I know it won't work... I don't think its due to soap/laundry products. Last night I put olive oil on it which soothed it and made it feel about 70% better but there is still a bit of burn, especially when sitting.

I'm a pretty healthy person, and the only health issues I have had has been in that area... Recurring UTIs and thrush.

Really interested as to what triggers this. Stress and anxiety? Run down immune system? Allergies? Deficiency?

If anyone has figured out something that soothes this I would be very interested! :)
Thank you for posting this thread.  I had a full hysterectomy on the 12th June, 2015, one month following I experienced for the first time burning on my vaginal/vulva skin.  I thought it may have been a UTI, so drank Urinal - it lowered the acid, but still the burn when I urinated.

It went on to itching, being uncomfortable.  The burn was/is the worst.  It took 6 weeks for me to go to the Dr,as I hoped it would go away by itself....well it came by itself :) All results came back normal.

I was prescribed 30g Micreme H Cream (An anti fungal - inflammatory) My Dr said 5 days and my problem would go away.  Seven days later no burn/itch discomfort. I stopped taking it, and 3 days later it started again.

My Dr named my burn/condition as being like a nappy rash.

I spoke with a nurse who said to take Flora Restore (Clinicians) i will continue this for general flora well being.

I was told to continue to take the Micreme 2 weeks on 2 weeks off..... I have got tired of the smell of the Micreme, and am now just putting the Micreme on sporadically.

I have read through all the comments on this page. I have written down what works, what doesn't.... I am very thankful to all for sharing their experience, because like most here have said "not alone" This is real

So tonight I did the baking soda 'bath' that felt great - relief! I read elsewhere to rub primrose oil into the skin - this has also helped tonight - no longer dry which in turn was causing more discomfort.

I have had enough of medication - and the worry that some medications can cause thinning of the vulva. I haven't had an antibiotic since I was young possibly in my 20's (45yrs now) so am reluctant and will put this one off.

I have recovered well from the surgery - a miracle- no more pain and unexplained pain. The removal of the uterus showed  Adenomyosis and fibroids within the lining... a long journey, a five year wait to get the uterus removed.  A miracle - so very thankful....... but I think it may have dropped the oestrogen levels and this is what is causing this burning pain.  (Nappy rash)

I am hoping the baking powder paste works long term - will try that tomorrow.

It is great to have all these ideas and possibilities of HOPE. I hope for those who began this thread are well now, or finding alternative ways of finding relief from their pain.  many thanks
Ladies, I am 68 years old. These horrible symptoms first happened to me when I was 65 years old, so obviously in my case they are not related to my menstrual cycle. As with the majority of the women in this conversation, I have been to three doctors. I have been on more vaginal creams than I can count. Nothing has worked. At one point, I took one dose of Fluconazole, and I felt terrific for months. Now, once again, the burning is back, and Fluconazole did not help this time. My symptoms absolutely do increase as the day progresses, and I very often feel a burning in my mouth as well, but when I tell the doctors about this, they look at me like I'm nuts! I sit on ice packs when I'm alone, and believe me when I say that I hate putting on pants.......it's torture.

I'm 36, no children, and have the same pain/burning issues, but also experience periodic throbbing/pulsation sensations. I've been to multiple doctors and have been treated for yeast, UTIs, and BV, even though all tests eventually come back negative. My GP suggested that I may be experiencing muscle spasms from high tension pelvic floor dysfunction. He prescribed 10 mg Flexeril to take once per night. I've only been taking 5 mg, but it has made a huge difference and the pain and throbbing has subsided significantly. I'm waiting to get scheduled for physical therapy for PFD, and I don't know if that's the real problem, but I thought I would throw it out there. I've also been doing boric acid suppositories at the same time
(continued from above)... I'm not sure if it's the boric acid or Flexeril that's helping, but at least with the Flexeril, I'm able to sleep through the entire night (I was waking up at 3 AM like clockwork because of the pain). My ObGyn also prescribed Valium suppositories (there's another medication mixed in with it that's a muscle relaxant). I haven't used those yet because I want to finish the boric acid treatment, but I will eventually stop the Flexeril and try the Valium (Flexeril tends to leave me feeling tired the next day and the Valium suppositories shouldn't cause that problem). But please consider that maybe some of you are experiencing pelvic floor dysfunction and the pain/burning is from tight pelvic muscles and muscle spasms. Ask your doctor to prescibe Flexeril, only if it's just a few pills to try. If the pain and burning goes away, you may have PFD.  I will keep you posted with my progress. I'm thinking of all of you... Please don't lose hope!!! We will figure this out!!!
So I realize that this post is probably dead but I signed up for this just to post so...I also gotta parrot what the other girls in here have said and say it feels good to not feel alone in this. I've considered suicide as a means to not living with constant pain and the anxiety that it causes.

With that being said, my ordeal started in December 2015 when I had a random hookup. I didn't pee after sex like I normally do so when I got vulvar burning and that wincing feeling at the end of your pee, so I safely assumed it was a UTI. I didn't have insurance at the time and so instead of a doctor's visit, I spent my money on d-mannose instead and that helped the vulvar burning for a day or so. Then it was back. So I finally said uncle and went to a doctor who diagnosed me with a yeast infection and gave me diflucan. After that didn't work, I went back to urgent care with intense burning. She said it was BV. So I was put on flagyl. Allergic to flagyl so I went off it all. Went back to urgent care and they said UTI and prescribed bactrum. At this time I was so fed up I was trying to self treat and was taking probiotics as well. I acccidently mentally mixed up the dosages for d-mannose and the probiotic so I was taking a 25 billion strain up to 10 (sometimes more) capsules a day. Which, at the time, I thought was copacetic. Most of the pain came after I would urinate, from immediately to about 10 minutes after I would get burning or tenderness in the bladder area (I think too much lacto in the bladder can cause inflammation as well, esp if you were taking as much as me!)

After monistat and cipro and more ER visits from the pain (where they could only find  lots of epithelial cells in the urine) I really started to question everything. So I went to an actual gyno in March. She examined me, said everything internally looked great. I was also very dry as this time whereas normally I am definitely not.

She told me that on the slides the only thing she could find was a lot of lactobacillus, which she said could cause discomfort. She urged to stop probiotic use and do sitz baths for any discomfort. But she said that it was good I had such a high number.

When I went home I found out about CV and LB and have ever since been trying to alkalize my body. Raising the PH of your vagina is harder than it is and all he sites I had been to before just said to do sitz baths and you'll be fine. The sitz baths were actually more irritating than soothing sometimes but I would get the worst burn right before my period and while I was ovulation for it to settle down during my period only for it to flare up afterward again, which is consistent with CV and LB.
I started drinking green juice almost everyday (2 apples, 2 cucumber, 1/2 lemon) and also drinking baking soda since the sitz bath were painful.

May I almost had no symptoms cause I was less stressed about it and I was working hard to alkalize my body. I also started eating lots of fruits and veggies. I even tried preseed, an alkaline lubricant, with little to no relief.

In earl June I got a UTI (actually this time, white blood cells, nitrates) after hooking up with an ex and not peeing after sex like a dummy. They gave me bactrum but also diflucan (I was also using monistat cause I had some itching) but the monistat burned soooooo bad I went to the ER where they discovered the UTI.
I believe that just back pedaled me cause anti finals make CV and LB worse. To top it all off, after seeing a urologist and a gyno, neither one of them (even after seeing my wet mount results) thinks it's a good idea to put me on doxy to kill the lacto!  So frustrating. So for now, I'm doing it naturally.
For a long time, I must looked at threads like these and scared myself ******** thinking I had IC or Vulvodynia.
But I was taking 10x the amount of probiotics I should have been for 2 months straight.
Went back to the gyno in late June and she said I still had a lot of lacto, so I just gotta keep trying to reduce the lacto and increase my ph. If it gets too painful I'll force someone to give me doxy as a last resort.

Also, the other night, I was ovulating and burning sooooooo bad I was in tears, I didn't know what else to do so I masterbated and orgasmed twice and the burning went away. But I also took a xanex and it was kicking in around that time as well.

Here are the steps I'm taking and I will update!

Use coconut oil on the outside because I'm also dry.
Drinking that green juice
Buy alkalizing drops for your drinks to alkalize the liquid you're drinking and raise your PH. I do body rescue oh protector drops and the litmus paper that comes with them. (I've been taking them for 3 days and so far no major burning)
Drink lots of water
Yoga and exercise
Masterbation to keep stimulation and blood flow to that area, also to promote lubrication.
Try desperately not to think about it.

I will update and responses are encouraged!!!!
Hi there. I feel you pain...I too have undergone quite a tremulous month trying to find out what was wrong with me...finally my doctor took a swab of my vagina and tested it for ureaplasm...which turned out positive. (Basically its not regarded as an STD because we have such bacteria naturally in our system but it is transferred sexually or if youve had a UTI or BV. But basically my symptoms was that I was completely wet down there for 1 month (discharge constantly leaking/ dripping) and then the symptoms very similiar to thrush set it - and soon after symptoms of a UTI set in (with severe pelvic pain and needing to use the bathroom straight after Ive used it). I highpy recommend you get a swab for ureaplasm...and get onto treatment of Doxycycline for 7 days. I truly hope this helps.
Cool. Thanks.
Bin 4 days and i cant sleep with ths burning....m on day 4 of the antibiotics n the burning is getting worse....wat should i use to ease the pain....