weight and exhaustion in perimenopause and menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Please let me know how you handled your exhaustion and weight gain during both periods of your life. I don't yet know if I am in perimenopause or menopause but have gained forty pounds! The doctor I am getting rid of, out of the blue, stopped the thyroid medicine I have been given since I was 25. Actually she denied to fill it upon becoming my demonic worthless internist.

Please please help me out.

Burma
Hi there and wlecome to the forum.  Hm, why did your internist want to stop the medication.  What medication were you on by the way?  

Forty pounds in a short time is a lot of weight to gain and has all kinds of health implications, so I'm glad you are wanting to figure this out.  Yes, your thyroid could play a definate role, hormones, depression, etc.  I would switch doctors to a less demonic one (:>) )  and get a complete physical.  Then begin a program to work on the weight.  Exercising 5 days a week and watching calories is the surest way I know to  lose weight or at least control it.  I don't know how much you are doing of that and I sure know it is HARD!  lots of luck sweetie

I'm in the end of menopause,  and I've gained about 20 pounds total from the time I was 17 and skinny,  until now I'm 53 and almost post menopausal.  

I agree with specialmom  40 pounds in a short period of time is something you need to look at beyond menopausal concerns.  

And I would avoid calling medical health professionals demonic.  Really.  
Thanks for your commentary. Well the soon to be ex internist had absolutely no information on me as being her patient and simply denied refilling thyroxine, which I had been on for 20 years! Immediate red flag on my part, seeing such haste with no backround.

I will be seeing a my new contact, best so far, that being a wonderful gynecologist for a second Pap smear on Thursday and am pursuing becoming a new patient of a very renowned internist, only accepting new patients if any by referral only of internist.

I am very anxious to get my line in order, as 20 years of incompetent people has gotten me nothing more than additional now very serious medical problems ON TOP OF THE EXISTING ONES!!

Thanks again!

Will keep in touch!