weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

weight loss

Can anyone Help! I need some advice on how to loose about 150 pounds! I My insurance dosn't cover a nutritionalists.  I have been exercisisng for 30 min a day and have been trying to cut down on calroies/fat but I need help becasue it's not working!  PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP  I REALY WANT TO LOOSE WEIGHT!  If you know of any support groups or any one who has lost a lot of weight could give me some advice! HELP HELP   momwithtwo1977
im  5'5"..a healthy weight is anywhere from 114 to 140 (i read that somewhere yesterday not sure how correct that is) so if i needed to loose 150 pounds..we are talking almost 300 pounds i would be!

im not sure how tall you are or how much you currently weigh...but if your my height and need to loose 150 pounds you would be close to 300 pounds?!?

i can tell you excercising 30 mins a day will not help you loose 150 pounds. you should work with your insurance and see what they do cover that can help you or maybe try another insurance
i was in the same situation almost 10 years ago and unless you work with a nutritionist or someone in the weight mgmt field, you should try surgery, I did and I lost the 150 lbs and am very happy.  Being that overweight needs alot of medical support to help you accomplish that goal.  So see if your insurance will cover the surgery,  It will change your life.
I also was recently told that I have thyroid problems thyroidisim no shure if that's how you spell it?  My doctor said that I need to keep doing 30 min exercise and try to eat right and take my thyroid med and if I don't loose weight in 6 months he will recomend the surgery,  But I have had this weight problem all my life, What can I do to get my doctor to take me serious?  I may loose 10-20 pounds in six months but I need to loose more than that because I want to be here for my kids.  What can I say to my doctor so he will listen to me?  Did you have the lap band surgery? Is there a lot of side effects after surgery, I'm scared that something mite happen in surgery!  momwithtwo1977
i demanded what i wanted, i was 41 and had been overweight all my life and was constantly losing and gaining back huge amounts of weight. i was sick and tired of it.  I had the stomach stapling @ 385lbs and 5 feet tall.  I couldnt do anything, could barely walk without being in back and knee pain.  now, i am not thin but over 150lbs lighter for almost 10 years and lovin' life and feel great.  I am not on any meds and healthy and happy.  Decide what you want and do it, whatever it is.  good luck and be well.
thank you for the advice. I know that I want to have the lap band surgery but I guess I will have to keep pushing my doctor for it.  I'm on careoregon health insurance and they don't cover much.  I can't affort to pay for it on my own.  I don't want to wait 6 more months but mabie he need's to regulate my thyroid medication before i get the surgery and see if I actually loose weight but I know my body, I have only had this thyroid problem for 2 or 3 months and I know that it probably wont help much with my weight at least not enough that I want, espeshally to be healthy for my kids and family.  It is so depressing to be at 356 pounds. I just want to beable to do things with my kids like other parents.  I'm tired, I will keep trying to get help.  momwithtwo1977
You need to get the thyroid issues sorted out first before you even consider a surgical approach.  A reasonable amount to lose each week is 2-3 pounds if it's through lifestyle changes as this is easier on the body and you are more likely to leave it off.  When you get the correct level of thyroxine, you may find that the weight just comes right off.  Do some reading on hypothyroidism.

Surgery has it's risks and you may not get the outcome that you want.  What happens if you have a reaction to the anaesthetic or there are post surgery complications such as infection.  Not to mention the strain on your heart etc that are due to your obesity.  Simply being obese is a risk factor when it comes to surgery.
Thank you for the advice, I know I want the surgery but sometimes it is just the quick fix that I want. Surgery may help but I know it's better to do it naurally. I will keep on doing what my doctor told me to do keep exercising and getting my heart rate up and keep my food intake in check.  I just need to look at my kids and that helps motivate me. Again thank you I didn't concider that mabie i did but I was just being stubborn. momwithtwo1977