what can cause an elevated d dimer ???...I have a post below...another ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

what can cause an elevated d dimer ???...I have a post below...another trip to the er

I have a post below...another trip to the er.
If anyone can suggest what elevates the d dimer....please ..some insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx Jack
an elevated d dimer is a blood test that suggests a blood clot.  Other tests need to be done to confirm.
Should I be worried ..?
I had nuclear medicine yesterday and it showed no blood clot in the lung.
What else should I be worried about?
I am having severe breathing problems and horrific pain....tolerable with percaset.
I'm sorry you are going through all this.  I read your other post below, and while I have no particular advice or suggestions, I will tell you that we don't even use d-dimers anymore, b/c they can be misleading in pregnancy.  I'm sorry I'm so old and forgetful that I can't remember if you are preg or TTC or what.

Keep going to the doctor until you get this figured out.  
I did not mean to worry you.  You will have to ask your MD or someone who know some of the other causes for elevated d dimer.  I just have some experience with a family member who had a blood clot and that was the first test that was pointing in that direction.  It alone did not confirm anything.  I hope you feel better soon.
Oh hon - I am so sorry to hear that you are in still in agony. I know nothing about d-dimer, but here is a site that I use a lot (family members with lots of tests!) and I think it's fantastic - it has a good page on d-dimer:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/d_dimer/glance.html
I am not 100% sure, but your recent surgery causes clots-of course, or you would be bleeding from your wounds. When these clots disappear, they break down and I believe that is what causes a positive d-dimer. I wouldn't count on this 1 test alone. How are you feeling today? I hope you are doing better and stay with them until they figure out what is going on with you. Best wishes.
Hi...I am comfortable as long as medicated...
I wake up in pain during the night..so I know all is pretty much the same.
I do however want to taper off the meds and get on  with my life...but I'm obviously scared for the pain
to return.
I feel like a super hero on the meds...and think all is better...with minor pain and discomfort...
But once they wear off...it is more than horrific...the pain is so severe....
I still walk funny and still can't do much by myself...
I can't wait for this to end.
I am talking with the dr daily...but at this point...much happy to be at home and comfortable.
Thanx Jack
I had superficial clots in my left arm.  When they did testing it was discovered that I have Factor V Leiden.  A genetic abnormality, which was discovered in 1993.  To shorten the story, one test reveiled that my d- dimer is over 1600.  Having Factor V Leiden can cause an elevated d- dimer test result.
ps: clots can be dangerous even deadly  and need anticoagulating .dont let them leave this you need to insist on treatment !
hi d dimer is clot analysis , its is rises the more you have . witch i think would be ok given your resent surgery . but pain and sob indicates a pe which your vq scan said low probability so i think they should start you on asprin or similar to reduse small clots you may have floating around .good luck x x
what causes a high d dimer, if you do not have clots.. ?
I have been hospitalized twice with respitory problems, fever, asthma, complications.  Both times my d dimer was elevated. A ct scan was done on the lungs to check for clots, no clots. What is causing this d dimer to be elevated?  Should I be worried about it?

please help..

thank you,
joniej
I have an elevated d dimer , a mass on my right  breast ( as seen on ultrasound) and residual thymic tissue.  Could they all be related?
hi i went to the ER last night for chest pain when i  breath in,they did a d-dimer and said its high.they sent me for a ct saying it could be a blood clot or cancer.is that it can there be other things that can up the d-dimer test??????scard and confused....
I had the same thing happen this week. Did you ever figure out what it was?
A D-Dimer is used to rule out clots, not to rule them in.  Meaning if you have a negative D-Dimer, you can bet that you do NOT have a clot.  If you have an elevated D-Dimer, you need further work-up to determine if you have a clot.  D-Dimer can be elevated in other clinical situations, such as infection, inflammation, pregnancy, etc.