what can cause an elevated d dimer ???...I have a post below...another ...

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

what can cause an elevated d dimer ???...I have a post below...another trip to the er

I have a post below...another trip to the er.
If anyone can suggest what elevates the d dimer....please ..some insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx Jack
Avatar n tn
an elevated d dimer is a blood test that suggests a blood clot.  Other tests need to be done to confirm.
Avatar n tn
Should I be worried ..?
I had nuclear medicine yesterday and it showed no blood clot in the lung.
What else should I be worried about?
I am having severe breathing problems and horrific pain....tolerable with percaset.
I'm sorry you are going through all this.  I read your other post below, and while I have no particular advice or suggestions, I will tell you that we don't even use d-dimers anymore, b/c they can be misleading in pregnancy.  I'm sorry I'm so old and forgetful that I can't remember if you are preg or TTC or what.

Keep going to the doctor until you get this figured out.  
Avatar n tn
I did not mean to worry you.  You will have to ask your MD or someone who know some of the other causes for elevated d dimer.  I just have some experience with a family member who had a blood clot and that was the first test that was pointing in that direction.  It alone did not confirm anything.  I hope you feel better soon.
Avatar n tn
Oh hon - I am so sorry to hear that you are in still in agony. I know nothing about d-dimer, but here is a site that I use a lot (family members with lots of tests!) and I think it's fantastic - it has a good page on d-dimer:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/d_dimer/glance.html
I am not 100% sure, but your recent surgery causes clots-of course, or you would be bleeding from your wounds. When these clots disappear, they break down and I believe that is what causes a positive d-dimer. I wouldn't count on this 1 test alone. How are you feeling today? I hope you are doing better and stay with them until they figure out what is going on with you. Best wishes.
Avatar n tn
Hi...I am comfortable as long as medicated...
I wake up in pain during the night..so I know all is pretty much the same.
I do however want to taper off the meds and get on  with my life...but I'm obviously scared for the pain
to return.
I feel like a super hero on the meds...and think all is better...with minor pain and discomfort...
But once they wear off...it is more than horrific...the pain is so severe....
I still walk funny and still can't do much by myself...
I can't wait for this to end.
I am talking with the dr daily...but at this point...much happy to be at home and comfortable.
Thanx Jack
Avatar n tn
I had superficial clots in my left arm.  When they did testing it was discovered that I have Factor V Leiden.  A genetic abnormality, which was discovered in 1993.  To shorten the story, one test reveiled that my d- dimer is over 1600.  Having Factor V Leiden can cause an elevated d- dimer test result.
Avatar n tn
ps: clots can be dangerous even deadly  and need anticoagulating .dont let them leave this you need to insist on treatment !
Avatar n tn
hi d dimer is clot analysis , its is rises the more you have . witch i think would be ok given your resent surgery . but pain and sob indicates a pe which your vq scan said low probability so i think they should start you on asprin or similar to reduse small clots you may have floating around .good luck x x
Avatar n tn
what causes a high d dimer, if you do not have clots.. ?
Avatar n tn
I have been hospitalized twice with respitory problems, fever, asthma, complications.  Both times my d dimer was elevated. A ct scan was done on the lungs to check for clots, no clots. What is causing this d dimer to be elevated?  Should I be worried about it?

please help..

thank you,
joniej
I have an elevated d dimer , a mass on my right  breast ( as seen on ultrasound) and residual thymic tissue.  Could they all be related?
hi i went to the ER last night for chest pain when i  breath in,they did a d-dimer and said its high.they sent me for a ct saying it could be a blood clot or cancer.is that it can there be other things that can up the d-dimer test??????scard and confused....
I had the same thing happen this week. Did you ever figure out what it was?
A D-Dimer is used to rule out clots, not to rule them in.  Meaning if you have a negative D-Dimer, you can bet that you do NOT have a clot.  If you have an elevated D-Dimer, you need further work-up to determine if you have a clot.  D-Dimer can be elevated in other clinical situations, such as infection, inflammation, pregnancy, etc.
Risa615 commented on photo
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals