yeast infection after having sex
I've been having yeast infection for the past 5 months, At first i thought it was the change in weather and being that it gets moist down there i was getting the yeast infection. I went on vacation for a month and i didn't experience a yeast infection cause i haven't had sex. When i came back i had sex with man man and I notice that it reocurred again. I treated it everything was fine,until we had sex again it came back. I made an appointment to see my doctor and he gave me a precription for it. Everything is fine again after 3 weeks we had sex again the **** came back and i am getting so fustraded at one poitn i thought it was the condom but we used another brand and it's the same problem. I have an appointment with my doctor next week. If it's possile can someone plz give me some advice on what's the problem. thanks.
Also wanted to mention that I am currently on the Master Cleanse Diet which helps your PH levels. Low level of your PH balance is also why we get alot of yeast infections. Google Lemonade Diet (Master Cleanse) to read more about it. Great way to cleanse your body and lose weight. I lost 7 pounds in 3 days but I loose weight pretty fast. Also it gives you a super boost of energy. No more bags under my eyes or sleeping half the day. It may taste gross  but the benefits are great.
I thought I was the only girl suffering this horrible problem. I already am suffering from interstitial cystitis which becomes an issue with sex; Now recurring yeast infections! It is ALWAYS exactly 2 days after my boyfriend and I have sex I begin to see symptoms of an infection (discharge, itching..etc). It has been continuously happening for 5 months now. I have been with the same partner and we ALWAYS use a condom. I have been to the Gynecologist several times and he acts like its not big deal and there isn't anything he can do.  I have already been tested for HIV and Diabetes both Negative. I am also on Mircette birth control. I am slowly but surely beginning to lose my mind. I do not know what to do. I wash myself everday with mild soap (after sex), I pee before and after sex, I take acidophilus every day, change underwear (cotton) twice a day, panty free at night, loose clothes all day. I mean what can I do!!
You’re doing everything right, so I can understand why you feel frustrated.  The fact that you always use a condom makes it unlikely that this is a ping pong infection (where one partner alternately infects the other). Taking acidophilus daily is great but if you have high acid levels in your stomach that might diminish the benefits; consider also eating yogurt daily.  Another thing that nobody has mentioned up to this point is the impact of lubrication on a woman’s vaginal PH.  When you make love the vaginal canal gets flooded with fluid which causes your vaginal PH to get more alkaline (less acidic) and creates a great environment for yeasts (semen does the same thing, so for those of you who don’t use condoms, your partner could be contributing to your problem even if he doesn’t have a yeast infection).  If you are one of these people who take antibiotics frequently for things like sinus infections (like yours truly) then the PH imbalance could be affecting you more then others.  I recommend using a PH balancing gel like Refreph before intercourse in addition to all the other smart things you’re doing.  I was having the same problem for years (sex = guaranteed yeast infection) and using Rephresh before sex prevents these pesky yeast infections 85-90% of the time for me.  However, since my husband and I don’t use condoms, I plan on having him tested for a yeast infection . . . I never liked ping pong.  
Hi, I've been with the same guy/husband now for 15 years and periodically have yeast infection.
1. You cannot treat yeast infection, it is forever with you, but you can stop having bacteria grow if you keep pH in your vagina just right.  I am not a doctor, but a chemist so I know some about pH.
2. I have yest infections only a) if we have sex several times in a row;  b) if I don't wash right after the sex;  c) we use condoms.
Your partner's sperm could have a  basic pH (slightly basic is normal, but maybe his is a little higher than normal) - that would cause yeast infection. I don't believe anything can be done about it, so just wash vagina after sex right away.
My explanation for condoms is low natural lubrication in my case and it causes irritation and then triggers yeast infection.
3. Also don't use soap, just water will be enough. Soap has basic pH and it could be one of the causes of this bacteria to grow.
4. When we were younger we had a lot of sex even with yeast infection (painful at times, but desire was higher :-). I remember that it went away after a while (maybe my body  to the new pH environment).
5. Eating yogurt has no direct effect on vagina, but it can improve overall flora (balance) in your body. For those of you that apply it to your vagina, it helps because yogurt has acidic  that is similar to the pH of female lubricating liquid.

Good luck
Thank you for sharing. Mine also shows up exactly 2 days after sex. Its been about 6 years now. So frustrating. Right now otc topical creams don't even work anymore. It makes me so unhappy. Hope someone is able to do some research and come up with a cause and cure.
I'm relieved I'm not the only one going though this problem. I've been having ongoing yeast infections after sex and it's just frustrating. I've been to the gynecologist 4 times this year and everything comes back negative. I've also been tested for diabetes and that came back negative as well. My doctor just keeps treating me with terconazole, but I was hoping she'd find out why this is happening. I've tried azo yeast pills, yogurt with probiotic, more water and less sugar but it hasn't helped. If anyone has figured out preventative measures for this annoying problem please, please post it. I'd like to go back to having a normal and fun sex life :(
Ladies please try this wonderful vaginal probiotic called FloraFemme. It's a prescription strength, very effective suppository which balances your vaginal pH and cures BV, Yeast infections, and treats vaginal odor. The results I had were nothing short of miraculous, especially since I had tried everything on the market. It's a highly concentrated blend of vaginal probiotics, and is 100% natural. You can google it and buy it online or through Amazon. If you get repeat infections, please give this awesome stuff a try! Good luck ladies!
im so glad im not the only one, i have the same problem. my doctor said it is because my immune system is weak and i am prone to infections. so she said i have to enhance my immune system, then she gave me flagystatin. it works like a charm but a little messy.
   So, Months down the line I tried what you said by using the Rephresh PH vaginal gel and It works!! It is the miracle that I am so glad to have found! Thank you so much for suggesting it because without you suggesting it my sex life would be completely out of the window.

To everyone who has been having this recurring problem after sex I would suggest using the Rephresh PH Vaginal Gel right after you perform intercourse. This gel is made to balance out the PH in your vagina that becomes imbalanced after your perform intercourse, the gel helps by maintaining the good and bad bacteria, and keep from causing an infection.  Make sure you lay down after inserting the gel so it has time to set and adhere to your vaginal walls. But other than that it has been working great! It lasts for 3 days so that means 3 days of sex without worrying about an infection!!
I also keep gettin yeast infection nd im gettin so damn mad I just wanna rip my hair out. And I notice them comin after havin sex and I take the one pill and it goes away but then it comes back. Either that or a bacterial infection. But like all you guys I juss wanna figure out wht it is..
I hadn't had a yeast infection until last year, after my Dr prescribed an antibiotic for my Rosacea.   Then I found out what a yeast infection was!   Wow, I've never been so itchy in my life!   I keep getting it, and have figured out my husband of 17 years must be giving it back to me, although he has no symptoms.  I take Odorless Garlic pills (WalMart) and Probiotic and Acidophilus pills too (also WM).  I have a Dr's app't tomorrow, and hope he'll give me something that'll kill it in me and my DH once and for all!  This yeast infection thing certainly ruins the enjoyment of life!    Deb M :)
I'm not alone!  I thought I was dying! my past included 2 partners -- never had a YI. they were just a problem the women on commercials had. About a year ago I started seeing a new partner (#3) and got my first YI. I didnt know WHAT to do! He and #2 are the only partners I've had recently and since then i've gotten about 5 or 6 YIs only with #3. They dont happen EVERY time (obviously) but i've noticed that if we've had intercourse about week or so before my period, then wham. i'll get one a week to the day that we did. i've used OTC monistat 1 day which i found worked much quicker than the one time i was prescribed fluconaze. that took daaaaays for relief it seemed. I've also gotten rolled eyes from my gyn who tries to convince me i dont have any std;s but i find it very strange that it's ONLY with this one person. any possibility it's something with him? i was worried bc he's also the only non-monogamous relationship i've had. could he have it from someone else?
I started having a problem with bv and yeast infections about 2 years ago after I had unprotected sex for the first time ever. Antibiotics would clear symptoms for about a month and then they would come right back. I decided to do some research of my own (I don't like yogurt) and came up with a regiment that has left me bv and yeast infection FREE for a year now . I take a probiotic by RepHresh called Pro-B (not all have to take it daily) daily and use Summer's Eve cleansing wash (the pink unscented one) for washing down below. And drink pleanty of water & the real cranberry juice!
I have always been prone to yeast infections, whether I'm sexually active or not. However, about 3 months ago i developed a yeast infection. I suppose I sort of half a** treated it before my boyfriend and I had sex again. It stung a little the first time, and the second time was worse. A few weeks later I treated it again, the symptoms during the day seemed to be gone....until the next time we had sex again. I finally went to the doctor a little less than a month ago, and she put me on that oral yeast infection pill. We had sex a week later, and once again, the first time I thought "okay it hardly hurts" and then it continued. I've been on Monistat 7 the past week and we tried this morning and the sex still stung. I'm hoping that the reason is that we're just having sex too soon after treatment and that my vagina needs a few weeks for the inflammation to go down. I've been tested for everything and it all comes back fine! My lady doctor, like all of you ladies, seems to think it's not a big deal at all. SO FRUSTRATING
Hi I av lupus s.l.e ,
I'm on loads of meds catch flus etc so I do be on lots of antibiotics but I was jst put on some fr my sore throat n I was given diflucan for some vaginal discomfort/pain I'm experiencing., and I don't no wheither its from sex or not doesn't seem to be helping I get it a lot I cannot walk with it most days and cannot wear underwear with it. It really hurts.
I've been suffering from yeast infections off and on for about 3-4 yrs its so annoying its like I can't even have a normal sex life...but i know they say acidophilus pills and yogurt daily are good choices... I use acidophilus pills on and off and i think its good... i bought AZO but only used it for a week... Just have to be consistent in whatever you use and try to use unscented products...also neutrogena transparent original formula fragrance free soap helps too...its hard because it often appears after sex then we treat it but dont give our body time to heal....uggghhhh good luck to everyone
I am 45 & am now experiencing 1st ever yeast infections - recurrent - since I have been w/ my husband. I am diabetic but never had even one before. So far, it has been 5 times - each after the two days we've spent together. We do not use b.c., sorry if T.M.I. but I need help - yes, when we are together - we have sex anywhere from 15-30 times in 2 days. Also, first time I have ever used lubricant - tried a couple different recommended ones - no glycerin, etc. Even w/ lubricant, my husband is big & am not sure if it's just the semen or what. He's had no ill-effect. I am lactose-intolerant so no yogurt but have been doing the lactobacillis pro-biotic stuff - so far, no help!
If you find out if there is something else that can be done please share am gald am not the only one.
Thank god, I thought I was the only person, I would always talk to my friends if they had problems and they didn't! I have tried EVERYTHING! To pee before and after sex, shower right away and drink a lot of liquids. But nothing works, the doc. Has perscribed me for pills after sex, but having to take one everytime after you have sex is annoying. Has anyone figured out a way to prevent getting infections after sex, with out going to the doctors every other week!?
A yogurt SUPPOSITORY will get rid of a yeast infection fast.  But it needs to be plain, unsweetened (and hopefully organic) yogurt.  It works much better than drugs and you'll be feeling better the same day.
I'm having itching and burning someone help please
I'm a 54 year old man. I have been with the same woman for a year and 3 months. this has been an ongoing problem in our relationship every time we make love she ends up with the burning itching in a yeast infection. I too have even had the burning when peeing after we made love. But every time she hands that her sister said well he's been out of town maybe he's not been faithful. But everything she's ever ask me I've always done and went 10 x beyond that. She even asked me to go be checked in have that sexual thing done I said yes Jesus Christ that hurt but I did it. I told doctor to check from A to Z for her because I love her that much. I never questions are asked her to go through the same thing. All my results came back negative and I showed her the paper. But yet when we make love she still end up with a yeast infection. and yes every time we make love I always make sure she is lubricated because I do not want to hurt her because l am a bit on the large size in that dept.
7x2 l was wondering if that was it to becsuse being large. When we first did it we msde love 8 x thst night. Gour days lster 6x. As the months went on we moved in together it slowed down and she told me about the hurting and burning all new to me. Lady's l am very faithful. That is very sacred to me. I was with the same woman for 30 years before she died. and I have been with this beatyful women for 1yr 3 months very faithful. I just want to know what to do to help her-  us. Thank you
I am 35 yo, I had a couple of east infections in my early days of having sex, but when I turned 30, after 2 years with no sex, I started going out with this guy, after having sex, two days later I had east infections. EVERY TIME! A few months later I broke up with him thinking that he was the problem. Another year with no sex and no problems, on the last year or so I have had four different partners and every time, with every partner I get east infections... I started to think that I wasted a Mr. Right and I was the problem all along!  Please help!
I was having the same problem. My doc gave me advice on a home remedy. She told me to let a tampon soak in peroxide and insert it for about 3 min for 3 days. She told me to do this every month after my cycle and it works. She explained to me that this restores my ph levels, kills the bad bacteria and promotes growth for the good ones.
Same problem here. I found taking acidophilis ( a probiotic ) kept them at bay. As well as eating yogurt everyday. I still get them from time to time and it does get quite annoying. I found that if you also make sure you and you're partner washes properly before and after being intimate can also help. Also, women should try to pee right after having sex. Helps prevent bladder infections. Only 23 and I already hate the idea of having sex because of what I have to go through afterwards.. It's really ruining sex for me.
Just want to thank you for your very informative and educational post! I'm off to whole foods! :-) B Complex has been helpful for my adrenal fatigue if you can use that info. Thank you again!
Hello ladies, I hope someone out there can help me! So it all started 2 years ago when I had my gall bladder removed 4 days after surgery I got this rash on the opening of my vagina, I thought it will go away because I thought it was because I was in bed for too long and I was on my period. It got worse 1 month later it was sooo painful, itch and sore. Whent to the first gyno, she prescribed diflucan she said it was vactirial vaginosis.. took the pill felt way better after 5 days everything was gone!!! Had sex with my new husband cuz we had just gotten married a week before my surgery... couple of days later I notice the same symptoms so I take a diflucan pill wich I had left because the gyno had giving me 4 since it was really bad. So everything gets cleared up again then I have sex again with my husban and it happened again and again long story short o've gone to 3 gynos and no body can find what I have the 2nd and 3rd gyno thought I had herpes and tested me over and over again and everything came back negative, I told them I had only been with 2 people and I knew I coulnt have herpes we always used protection. Anyways right now 2 years later with the same symptoms,  burning, itching,  soreness ect I still have all my test come back negative for bacterial vaginosis, yeast ect.... uggh what can I do I stoped having sex seen 2 months a go or maybe longer thus is not good for a couple that just got married 2 yrs ago and havent even enjoyed sex after marriage! ....
Yogurt helps if its plain, no added ingredients like sugar etc. also if a male has a not so clean genital area he could just be feeding the natural yeast in your vagina his penis's bacteria. Try making sure he cleans hisself before and after sex... Be adamant about cleaning yourself before and after as well.
I had my first yeast infection when I was 10 years old, so I am a pro. All this talk about washing, clean underwear, blow drying, yoghurt, is ********. I have tried it all. Ask you doctor to go an a 6-month treatment with Diflucan (for sure you'll be yeast free for at least six months). This removes the yeast from your digestive, intestinal, and vaginal track and should keep you yeast free for a long time). Then take Acidophilus Pearls on a regular basis (it releases good bacteria in your intestinal track, which balances the enormous amount of yeast we seem to have) . Yoghurt only addresses the stomach.  Always have a Diflucan pill with you.
So i scrolled and read almost all answers...and i get the same conclusion..Yeast infections are horrible! When I first got my yeast infection ( because of an antibiotics treatment over 10 years ago ) I got treated with Fluconazole. Since then no problems. After 3-4 years i guess, when I had a severe cold, also after  antibiotics treatment I started to have yeast infections on a regular basis.. I tried again Fluconazole a short treatment for a month, it didn't work..
I know all the recommendations for prevention, I eat Kefir ( that has a good bacteria - better then yogurt for yeast infections) , I take probiotics - as soon as i stopped probiotics and didn't eat at least 1 kefir a week, here it is again the yeast infection.

It's really annoying...I wish there could be a remedy, not a quick fix... I can't believe that this is the quick fix... I  think i need to take probiotics for the rest of my life and eat kefir once a week :)))
Your comment about how to proceed before and after sex leads me to believe you are in a committed relationship.  I generally have no idea when I will have sex.  The yeast infections only come with sex.  Every time I have sex.  Two months ago sex with a guy from the bar using a condom I get a yeast infection.  Two days ago sex with a friend using a condom I get a yeast infection.  Either way putting yogurt in my vagina after sex isn't an option.  The friend and I had sex 3 times that night.  Each time was a surprise to me (wasn't aware the friend was interested and extremely virile).  I think it would have been a little weird if the second time he discovered yogurt in my vagina.  My sex life is in frequent because I am single but it is certainly unpleasant getting one of these EVERY time I do get to have sex.  And what will happen if I get a regular partner? Sex once every two weeks?  That doesnt seem like much fun to me.
Try shoving a half garlic clove up there for a week.
did you ever find an nyc gyno with knowledge in this area?
Any idea if this has helped? Because this is the exact same thing I am going through and I find myself in tears over this because I don't know what to do anymore.
I dealt with the same issue for many years, about ages 22-28. Every time I had sex, or even masterbated, I would get what I thought was a yeast infection. Monistat always worked to cure it, but made it very stressful having to use it every single time. After many different dr appointments about it, I went in while experiencing an infection and they took a sample to test for what kind/strand of yeast I had. To both our surprise, it came back that there was no yeast present at all! What I can chalk it up to is irritation from your own fluid. To help, cleanse or use a wipe before and after sex, ALWAYS be taking a daily probiotic (ph balance is key), and use a vagisil-type cream after intercourse to stop the irritation from spreading and possibly becoming an infection. Changing your diet to lessen bread/carbs and increase veggies/nuts/lean protein will do wonders. And also unfortunately it's a lot to do with hormones. Mine finally have seemed to balance out after years of having this issue, so don't give up hope. Eat better, take probiotics, maintain sanitary health and use the cream after intercourse! Also ask your doctor to do a yeast lab test to see if/which strands you have, as different strands can be tackled in different ways to be most effective.
I am so grateful I read this post. I really thought I was suffering alone. I am 43 (easily pass for 30) married 18 years and I continue to get yeast infections and irritation. My doctor did not seem concerned but as many of you mentioned it is HORRIBLE!! I traded in my cute panties for the cotton boring kind and that did help but who wants to wear those all the time? I started taking Enzo as soon as I felt one coming on (a friend recommended it). The problem is who wants to take pills constantly.  I'm going to try some of the suggestions in this post. My husband is allergic to garlic so I can't try that one.  I must say if you don't have sex frequently the Enzo pills work fine. I've suffered in silence for years I thought I was alone. I see now this is common.  
Oh no it's AZO not Enzo. Simple mistake
Okay I am 54 years old  and having the same problem....And the only thing that cured me was probiotic I took it with water in the middle of the night. You should take probiotic on the empty stomach. Mostly  you shouldn't eat 2hours before and 2hours after taking probiotic to work!! It is very expensive but it works and you should take it at least for 3weeks for seeing results.... I took Refhresh Pro-B probiotic along with Nature's way primadophilus optima women's 90 billion. Basically I bombard my body with probiotic!!! You girls can take any probiotic but make sure is for women yeast infection and please take it every night. it is too soon for me but because probiotic its very costly in future I am planning to take it every other night.
Hi guys i have had in the past problems with yeast infections. To resolve it i would constantly buy monistat and it just became a huge headace. Because as soon as it apoeared to be clear i would have sex and boom yeast infection. I had intitially got diagnosed by OBGYN with yeast infections previously so when it came back i just treated it with monistat. Unfirtunately what i actually had was BV Bacteria Vaginos which can be mistakrn for yeast infection. The OBGYN that diagnosed my BV was not my regular doctor and said it is a common mistake by doctors and their patient to note a BV infection as yeast.

He prescribed another tyoe of antibiotic and it worked winders. But what was causing the BV. Turns out not washing my underwear by hand and letting them aut dry caused my BV. WHO WOULD OF THOUGHT THAT??? But yes washing underwear in washing machines can cause BV in some women.

For me i am allergic to latex and highly sensituve to most soaps. So i have to take careful precautions.
I use feminine Eve wash, mild odorless vegetable base soaps to wash my privates, i take probiotic but i am no longer depending on it to solve any yeast or BV.
I say your OBGYN and ask about BV possibility and think about any of your routines that may be hampering your vaginal health.
I haven't seen anyone mention this so I will.

After searching the internet for anything that actually worked well in clinical studies, I found this, which if I understand correctly is sort of yoghurt-suppositories 2.0 (!), i.e. probiotics in suppository form, meant to restore locally the balance of whatever is supposed to be there. Here's the link to the summary of the study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22955364

It is commercialized under the name ActiCand 30, at least that's the only one I know of. I could not find it in the US, so I have been ordering it via ebay from wherever in Europe happens to sell it (I've had Greece, England and Bulgaria so far!). It usually comes in 8-tablets boxes.

The researchers who conducted the study administered the treatment itself over 4-weeks (14 tablets in total for that, so 2 boxes required), but carried on with a lower dose after that for prevention:

"Thirty female subjects who were diagnosed with VVC by both microscopic examination and yeast culture were enrolled in the study and directed to apply a vaginal tablet once a day for 7 consecutive nights, followed by 1 tablet every 3 nights for a further 3-week application (acute phase) and, finally, 1 tablet per week to maintain a long-term vaginal colonization against possible recurrences."

I am busy trying it out so it's too soon to tell you whether it is working for me. BTW I am in the category "never have yeast infections symptoms without sex, have some over half the time after having sex" and I have been in this situation for about half a decade now; the patients from the study seem to have been more varied I think.

But anyway these are the results they actually got:

"The administration of the product ActiCand 30 was able to significantly solve Candida yeast symptoms after 28 days in 26 patients out of 30 (corresponding to 86.6%, P<0.001). At the end of the second month, recurrences were recorded, albeit not particularly serious, in only 3 out of 26 patients (11.5%, P=0.083) who were found to have fully healed at the end of the first month of treatment."

(I'm not sure what the Ps stand for BTW).

The phrasing "significantly solve symptoms" makes me frown, compared to how they diagnosed the patients to begin with, but anyway I thought it was well worth a try. For me too, as someone else said "NOW this is WAR!" ('cauz honestly, another 5 years like these and I'll nominate my husband for sainthood if he hasn't divorced me by then!).
So, while already symptoms free (but hey, I know they're never far away...), I took boric acid suppositories everyday for 2 weeks, thinking that's probably going to help kill off what may still need killing off, then I refrained from taking anything for a week, just in case the two treatments don't mix well, and now I'm on Acticand 30 in a bid to restore the local ecosystem to its rightful state! (and of course abstaining from sex during the 7 week-long whole thing). And I plan to keep on taking 1 acticand 30 a week after that, as they suggest.

I hope that helps (both me and others!)

BTW I wish to thank the person who mentioned Bio-Fem gel and its other incarnations. If acticand doesn't work, I'll try that, thank you!

I found the links below VERY HELPFUL and informative.  The suggestion on page 8 WORKS! (some women find that complementary  therapies, such as bathing the genital area with diluted tea tree oil gel or live plain yogurt, may help relieve the symptoms of vaginal thrush.) I applied plain Kefir (three times) to my irritated vulva area.  It was cold as he**, and burned a bit, but my symptoms are almost gone within 24 hours.
R-E-A-D the information carefully to decide if you are dealing with BV, a full blown yeast infection or just a localized thrush condition brought on by intercourse.  Pay close attention to your symptoms (type of discharge, area affected) and then you know better how to treat your condition.  I also highly recommend RepHesh gel for BV symptoms.
http://www.fpa.org.uk/sexually-transmitted-infections-stis-help/thrush-and-bacterial-vaginosis
http://www.fpa.org.uk/sites/default/files/thrush-bacterial-vaginosis-information-and-advice.pdf
What do i have if my penis is tight a bit swollen dry with some cuts and burns when i pull foreskin
The same thing is happening to me and I am also freaking out. I am curious to know what you found out.please help
The same thing is happening to me and I am also freaking out. I am curious to know what you found out. Please help