yeast infection after having sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

yeast infection after having sex

I've been having yeast infection for the past 5 months, At first i thought it was the change in weather and being that it gets moist down there i was getting the yeast infection. I went on vacation for a month and i didn't experience a yeast infection cause i haven't had sex. When i came back i had sex with man man and I notice that it reocurred again. I treated it everything was fine,until we had sex again it came back. I made an appointment to see my doctor and he gave me a precription for it. Everything is fine again after 3 weeks we had sex again the **** came back and i am getting so fustraded at one poitn i thought it was the condom but we used another brand and it's the same problem. I have an appointment with my doctor next week. If it's possile can someone plz give me some advice on what's the problem. thanks.
You're probably not getting a yeast infection from sex, just noticing it more after intercourse. First, are you very well lubricated when you have intercourse? Too much friction can be really, really irritating; the symptoms you experience might just be from that alone. Also, are you on the pill, by any chance? Or diabetic? Either of those can cause frequent yeast infections. But most of all, did your doctor actually diagnose you in person with a yeast infection, or just call something in for you over the phone? If the latter, I'd make an appt to be seen. You may either have a different strain of yeast, or another type of infection.
Or.....your partner can have a yeast infection and you two keep passing it back and forth, have him checked too.
But how could it be possible to past a yeat infection back and forth, we always use protection.
Yes I am lubricated when ever I have sex. I am not on the pill or any type of birth control.  Have no idea if I
Condoms protect his fluids from getting in your, but your fluids could get on his pubic hairs or testicles and keep reinfecting you.  So, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him treated as well as you or this could keep reoccurring.  HTH
Like Ateague said, fluids and other stuff can be transmitted during foreplay and just through physical contact.  It doesn't hurt to have him tested for a yeast infection.
I went through the same thing for years.  My doctor called it Ping Pong because my husband and I just kept giving the yeast infection back and forth through vaginal sex.  I also noticed that every time we had oral sex I would get an infection almost immediately!  I know this sounds crazy but we discovered that if we both eat yogurt every day the yeast infections are non-existant.  Completely gone!  We also discovered something else interesting:  My husband is asthmatic and his inhaler kills certain bacteria in his throat which apparently can occasionally cause a yeast infection in his throat.  Eating the yogurt also took care of his sore throats!
Almost 4 years later and I too am having the same problem. Exactly as yours. With or without the use of a condom I'm getting yeast infections after sex. With the same partner or a different one, I'm still getting it and it's running me crazy. Did you ever figure this thing out? Because right now, I'm felling really cursed.
I have the same problem! and its really pissing me off! i get them all the time and it too is driving me crazy. I have noticed that i have been getting them after intercorse, even with a different partner too. So im thinking that it has to do with our bodys, because what are the chances that we keep passing it back and forth with different people. Im going to go to my doctor the next time it happens after sex, and if i find anything out ill let you know!!! GAHHH  frustrating!!! BUt i hear that eating certain yogurt does help some?
I have been dealing with this problem for the past four years and it makes me want to scream/cry.  I get them whenever I have sex, with the same partner or someone different.  I have seen two different doctors and neither seem very concerned which actually annoys the hell out of me.  I'm 24 and I can't enjoy a normal sex life!  They have done all sorts of tests and blood work.  They now think it may be my birth control, which is a possibilty.  Why isn't this a bigger issue, I feel as though if I were a man and this was a problem I had with some sort of penis infection it would be a huge deal.  It's really annoying and really upsetting and I wish there was more info out there about this problem and that more people talked about it.
I am relieved that I am not the only one.  I have been dealing w/ persistent yeast infections fro about 5 yrs now.  i have visited 4 different drs and they all act like its no big deal!!! Very frustrating ordeal.  i am on birth control pills which unfortunately I have to take since i have PCOS and will rarely get my period unless i take the pill. I asked them about alternative meds to take in lieu of the pills and non of them can give me a straight answer...I am completely frustrated and dont know what to do. it hinders my sexual life severely..my fiance is very supportive but I AM FRUSTRATED! if anyone has any advice or reccommend any obgyn who is knowledgeable about persistent yeast in the nyc area, please share
I heard that the nuvaring birth control helps alot with women who are prone to yeast infection... I have been using it for about 3 years and it does help however I was married for the most part of that and maybe only got one or two but i mostly contributed that to receiving oral after my husband drank alot of beer... I know that sounds like an old wives tale but i would literallty get one instantly if he drank beer and gave me oral without brushing his teeth and rinsing with mouth wash,,,, anyways i am now with a new partner for the past 3 months and we recently started having unprotected sex and I have had 2 yeast infections... hopefully the nuvaring will help me out here. I used an over the counter medicine the first time and now am on a prescription terconazole i think it's called. hopefully after i complete the prescription we should be good to go but since i dont want to make this reoccuring i did talk to my doctor who said both of us should use mild soap to bathe the area and dry completely and i should wear white cotton underwear and sleep without anything whenever possible as the area can breathe... I'm going to try this as well as eating yogurt with probiotics everyday to help avoid the issue. i will let you know how it works out!
i'v been havin the same dammm problem fo 8yrs..nd am not dibtic or on any kinda of pill.....with me its kinda different its started with kindney problmes got worser with freakin burnin/itchin/swollin/bleedin all that happen to my poor vige all u can imagin at one point i thought i have cancer...i'v been to like more then 25 doc if am not mistaken include the hospitals nd they  keep feedin anit.b whichs its not helpin ufffffff..and omg i hate havin sex cuz of the burnin...it started wen i waz 16 and now am 24.....i hope i get hit by train dammmm it...
Wow, you guys, this is a problem! I have been having this problem, with/without condom, never been on the pill, for 18 years. I am 34. Same problem. Seen many doctors, same unhelpful response. I thought it was a latex allergy. Didn't use condoms, still got it. Different partners, didn't matter. Got it first time with partners, so no chance of passing back and forth. It happens everytime I have sex. I had no sex for 10 months, not one yeast infection! I have tried everything. One thing that helped at one point, and I will try it again, was using an oral homeopathic and taking it all the time. The company name is Natra-bio, Candida Yeast Relief. I think health food stores like Whole Foods carries it. http://www.natrabio.com/   http://www.natrabio.com/category-exec/category_id/782/nm/Women_27s_20Health
Are any of you hypoglycemic? Not diabetic, but low blood sugar? I am. I get shaky, panic and irritable when hungry. I was tested. Try to avoid sugar, and alcohol. Both will make yeast infections unbearable.
Unfortunately I haven't found the long term solution. I do hope there are doctors and scientists researching this problem. Judging by this blog, it is a more common problem than I thought.
Here is a good article...

http://www.mamashealth.com/stds/vyeast.asp
same problem guys! several doctors, and no explanation. I have been tested for every kind of infection and also had blood work done etc. and nothing! everytime i have sex it happens! it takes a while for it to go away too. reeeeally annoying. so by the time it's gone, it's been so long that i/we want to have sex again and it's back! it's so painful and annoying!! and i HATE yogurt. why doesnt anyone have an answer to our problem!!
You guys, I don't know what to say. I haven't found a cure yet. My guy was in town and all went well while he was here. But alas, he's gone and with our last night together, the infection is back again. This time with my cycle. It's not as bad as it has been in the past and it took longer to come this time. I will say if you are using any toys etc, my doctor said to make sure you are cleaning them well. That's all I have this time around.
Wow... It's soooo incredibly nice to know I'm not alone here! I am not a diabetic, nor on any pill. I have protected sex, and it happens regardless of the partner. Usually I'll notice it starting to get irritating during sex, and once that happens, there is no going back...  But what I don't understand is why doctors don't seem to get it... So... what kind of yogurt do you guys recommend?? What about the yogurt that contains the aspertain? Anyone have any luck with the acedophalus pills? Or are we all doomed to prefer the 2 pump chumps that are quick and painless in bed...???? lol
I'm sorry to hear about everyone's issues with those damn yeast infections. I haven't had one in years... and I think it was the soap products I was using. Its not documented very often (if at all really..) but I'm pretty darn sure I'm allergic to glycerine. I was so baffled as to WHY it seemed like I was doing everything right (condom use, one partner, very good hygene, frequent doctor visits..) I wasn't on antibiotics or birth control. I started narrow down all the possibilities and saw glycerine is in A LOT of stuff. It was in my bath gel, bar of soap, condoms, spermacide, ky jelly AND my deoderant. In many cases, it was the one of the main ingredients. It took a while to figure out what was plauging me. Doctors were no help. They would usually say it was my diet or that I wasn't following through with the instructions to keep taking meds even after it cleared up. I knew that wasn't the case. Even after I figured out my allergy and the yeast infections miraculously stopped happening, I was told by my doctor that it was unlikely I was allergic to glycerine. Whatever. I always avoid glycerine in any product that is going on my most sensitive areas (i used to get horrible rashes in my armpit- talk about embarassing!) and I can't really remember the last time I've had a yeast infection. So, girls if you have tried EVERYTHING else and you keep getting irritated, try products w/out glycerine. Bath and Bodyworks is my savior for bath gel/soap stuff, avoid condoms with glycerine as a lubricant, try out the lubricant doctors and tattoo artists use (i know i know not as fun as all the flavored, sparkly warming sensation lubricants but its worth using- TRUST ME). I wish I could remember the name of the stuff but I'm sure you could ask your doctor or google it. I'm hyper sensitive to alot of things (nut allergies, nickel allergies- really bad like if it touches me for a short period of time I break out in giant rashes) so if you are too- Maybe you have the same problem I did...... OKAY
NOW i have to ask: what are the chances of a guy giving me a yeast infection? Yes, I'm incredibly stupid and hooked up with a guy w/out protection. I'm waiting to hear back from him on whether he DOES have one. Reguardless, I'm going to my GP as soon as I can because I don't want to have us passing it back and forth to each other. I've heard this happens even with a condom on because there are still bodily fluids involved. We hooked up a couple of days ago and he told me yesterday he might have one. I seem pretty normal down there. No itching/burning/irritation going on... I have another person I occassionally hook up with and I wonder if, even though it doesn't seem like I have one, could I act as a carrier and pass it on to him? If you get a yeast infection from sex... how long does it normally take to show up? My experience before subtracting the glycerine was that I would start feeling itching/irritation almost immediately after... so...am I wrong in assuming I'm probably in the clear? My yeast-free friend wants to hook up, and I hesitate to do anything with him until I get confirmation from my doctor that I'm yeast-free as well. Even with a condom- because I'm hella paranoid! If a girl gives a yeast infection to a guy... how long does THAT take to develop? Any info, advice, support would be much appreciated.
To all those who say that the doctors act like it's no big deal. Go to a female doctor. Any doctor who has had a yeast infection will know that it is a BIG DEAL!

Or, if for some reason you do not feel comfortable with a female doctor, at the very least switch to another male doctor. A doctor should never, ever minimize your complaints.
This may be a little different than what some of you are experiencing, but hopefully this will help someone.  After being on antibiotics for 7 months - I had had a highly resistant yeast infection for about 2 years - I was taking diflucan 3x a wk during that time (expensive) and finally went to a Homeopathic Medical Doctor....yes, he was an MD - they are out there!   Not only was the yeast infection in my vagina, but it was throughout my entire body.  My breast, legs, arms - everything itched like crazy!  It was hell and I felt like I had the plague!  I had gained 25 lbs over that 2 year period and had puffed up like the pillsbury dough boy!  For 3 months, he had me stop eating all sugar, pasta, breads, any condiments with vinegar and also (all fruits for the first month)  In addition to the change in diet, he also gave me 3 different types of probiotics (not sure of the exact spelling - but bifidus, bacillus and acidopholus) that I mixed in water.  This all may sound very stringent, but I was soooo thankful for his help!  Within a month, all itching throughout my entire body had stopped and I had lost 10 lbs.  I continued the diet for a total of 3 months and I had also went down to my original body weight. I am not as militant on my diet, but I do try to be careful with what I eat and fortunately I havent had a yeast infection in 7yrs.
What is so terrible about this thing is that yes it happens whether you change partners whether you strap up or whatever... my thing is it *****. I am 21 years old. I do not want to walk around or be intimate wearing freaking granny panties all my life to avoid yeast infections.  I cant wear thongs, boy shorts and this is REDICULOUS!!!!!! Sooo not fair. I just wanna be normal.. Normal Ph Level, normal wetness. normal if not greater pleasure after intercourse.
Note: This will be long. I have done much research!

FIRST: I am soooo greatful to all of you that posted. Thank you, sisters, thank you.

SECOND: My Story. I started getting yeast/urinary infections 6 months after using the NuvaRing. Female and male doctors never would give the suggestion encouragement that there was a connection between the nuvaring and the infections. I went to urologists that pumped me with antibotics weekly through catheter for 6 months, and even yet they told me to expect UTI which would transform to yeast. And did! I went the PPO route with specialists. I went the HMO route, I went the free clinic and planed parenthood route, and I have even tried the heomeopathic route (which takes soooooo sooooo much longer to clear -1 month- but it will clear). I was getting infections every 2 to 4 months like clockwork. For 5 years. After 3 years I took the nuva ring out- just in case. I was clear for 6 months!!! WoooHoo!! After, I would get infections every 6 to 8 months.

THIRD: What works for me. Even going from 10 times a year infected to 2 or 3 is improvement for me. I have an infection about every 9 to 11 months. So I will tell you all what has been working for me and I hope it helps.

FOURTH: My Top 10 Remedies to PREVENT Re-ocurring Yeast Infections.
1. Always wipe front to back after using the toilet and shower after taking a ****. (Too bad we don't have bbidets).
2. Blow Dry after showers and when sporting pubic hair, blow dry until the hair is dry.
3.  Avoid waring tight underware and thongs for tooo long in the day.
4. Change underware 2 times a day (I think this is important) and ware different underware while sleeping.
5.Always hand-sanatize before touching you or partner. Have partner always hand-sanatizes before touching himself, herself  or you.
6. Take a Candida albicans by mouth everyday and an insert suppository the day before and the day after sex. (This can be found at WHoleFoods or Online).
7. Afer sex, shower and blow dry IMMEDIATELY (very important).
8. After sex, shower, and blow dry...Use a baster (Yes, the one for juicing turkeys.) and insert a small amount of yogurt or Bio-K Plus (also found at WholeFoods) into the cooch and let dry or sleep with it at night. Dont' forget to wake up and shower and blow dry the area before putting on clean underware.
9. DRINK ALOT ALOT ALOT ALOT OF WATER and AVOID SUGAR!!
10. STRESS LESS!! Do what you need to do to be in a good mood most of the time rather than sometimes being in a good mood.

FIFTH: Happy Healing!! The last major important ingredient, STRESS LESS, I believe, is to use your imagination to stay healthy and strong. Imagine yourself healthy and enjoying life. Affirm yourself that you are a Self-healing creature and you are doing your best. Sometimes I go on Youtube and just watch and listen to clips of healing affirmations. The reason I think this is important is because I also noticed that Infections would occur during and after stressful times in my life. Very stressful days of anger and frusteration would be followed by a yeast infection. I do not know if there is a correlation; but what I have seen with myself is that a change in my mood and behavior, my attitude tword myself and life, in a positive, loving and caring way, has aided in my healing. Instead of thinking "I DON"T want to be sick" - think " I am healing myself every minute with every breath I take."

SIXTH: Our enviornment. Unfortunately, looking at the history of this country (USA) and medicine, I am not suprized that women's issues are very under developed. There has been much more research and efforts spent on population control, in general, than solving real problems which most likely already have solutions. AKA... Cure for AIDS and HEP B/C are at your fingertips if you can spend $20K a month on meds. A system of profit cares nothing about people. Hence, it is upto us to keep our bodies healthy, to pay attention to the mechanics of our transportation system and make sure we are doing everything we can to keep the wheels turning and the clocks ticking. There are no waranties, go backs, exchanges or refunds. When your vehicle gives out, it gives out for good. Yet, I believe that we can control many factors with our keen awareness. So please stay mentally active to be physically active. And stress less!!

SEVENTH: Adrenaline Fatigue and the Immune System. Forgive me for harping on the stress issue but it is sooo very important. In my research I have found that Stress causes Adrenaline fatigue. When an animal is running for it's life-run or be eaten- they are experiencing the most stress. To cope the body shuts down everything except for what it must do, breathe and run! The digestive system doesn't work, the reproductive system doesn't function, the IMMUNE System is off! So when we stress, the brain releases the same chemicals to the body to go on "standby" mode and stop most functions. With our immune systems down - due to stress- even with meds, healing is difficult. There are additional side effects, diabetes, damaged hippocampus, etc.

EIGHTH: I hope many women find this helpful. I wish you all the best healing and happiness. Remember, you are AWW-MAZING!! For questions, comments, and some emotional support, you may contact me at ***@****.
I have been married for 8 years, been separated for 9 months.  My husband and I never had sex for 16 months, so I didn't get any yeast infections, but I do around spring time of the year, just cause I do.......
SO I went 16 months without having sex, and I find/meet a man and we had sex.  The very next morning I wake up and wham, I could feel that yeast infection feeling inside, the itchy one we women are familiar with.  (by the way after reading your posts I am eating yogurt at this very moment :)  ).  
I remember the first time I had sex I was 20, I am 44 now......and that was the first  time that I had gotten an yeast infection, I immediatly went to my doctor cause I didn't know what I had, why I was so itchy, and I near had my wazoo scratched right off it hurt to pee.  I was so scared to go and tell him, but he told me that when a woman (some) do not have sex for a long time, and then they do have sex they are prone to yeast infections, there was a name for it, I forget actually, its a word like Virgin Infection, or Brides' something............
Anyways, this is a pain in the butt for sure........I am using candastine 6 right now hopefully to cure this  thing, but also I have to tell you that using condoms are GREAT, but latex cause yeast infections as well, alot of women are allergic to them, but its better to get an yeast infection than aids......so I will take the allergic reaction...........so..............now I have to google yeast infection symptoms in men.....................Thanks for this forum or post, I found it really helpful and i am eating yogurt daily from now on...  :)
Just recently Ive had a greater amount of discharge, but it was mostly clear and didn't resemble a symptom of a yeast infection. I am now feeling slight discomfort in my lower abdomen I usually have this sometimes but it hasn't gone away its only been bothering me for an hour or so now. Also i think there is a tiny amount of swelling in my vagina. Should I be worried about this? Should I go see a doctor?
Hi! All,
    I came on to get advise, but it appears that I was already aware of most of the info here.  However, thanks to your comments I am now able to synthesize the info and know what I have to do: I have to commit to preventing yeasties, rather than treating them once they have occurred. Like many of you, whenever I had sex I would also have yeast infections. This has been happening for many, many years. However,  when I was with my last boyfriend, I was very good about eating yogurt AND taking Enzymatic Therapy™ Pearls YB™. I was problem free when we used protection and when we did not. Fast forward we broke up, I didn't have sex and had no problems. I fell out of my regular yogurt routine and stopped taking the Pearls, decided to have sex and bam!  We are back to well hell....  

Additionally, if I stay too long in my hot tub the chlorine messes with me and MORE  yeasties. Yuck.  I also eat  aaaaaaaaaaalot of sugar in the form of candy. Yum. It has not affected me outwardly (meaning no pimples on my face)  But, I do get get frequent boils outside of the vah-jay-jay and my upper and inner thighs. This is a sign of too much sugar in one's diet. So, I see how two much sugar can also contribute to my yeasties. Bummer.  So what have we learned girls? The key is to rid/decrease these nasty reoccurrences is prevention, prevention, prevention. If you eat a lot of sugar, decrease and eliminate so you can have a rocking love life. Make sure you taking your probiotics. I really like the brand I mentioned. I know when I leave home, its hard for me to get soy yogurts (I am allergic to diary) but the probitics you can take with you. Also, peeing right after sex also helps. Good luck to all.  A million thanks for your posts, tips. It has helped immensely.
Wow I cant believe that so many others are experiencing similar reoccuring yeast infections.  I noticed that I seem to be getting yeast infections after sex so I went to the Dr.  But when I kept getting them she she also tested me for STD but they came back negative. When I came back again she kinda brushed it off and gave me a pill to take.  I'm thinking that maybe the yeast infection was never cured and that the sex aggravates it i don't know but this is such a miserable thing.  And I'm even more concerned because I wanted to go on birth control but one of the side affects are yeast infections. Well I'm going to see her next week and we'll see what she says becuase I can't go on like this.
I just started getting this problem. I'm 19 years old, I've never had sex before besides one year ago with the same guy I am still with. In the last year I've had yeast infections on a clockwise basis and its horrible. I especially get it after my partner and I have had sex.
After sex I always try to wipe everything out just in case and put on a new pair of underwear. The day after I also usually shower and I'm a pretty clean groomed person. I don't understand why this is happening to me. I just started having sex and it's suppose to be a good time in my life where I am exploring who I am and who we are as a couple but having this in the way makes it hard to be that young and in love couple. I do take yazmin birth control but I don't think that has much to do with it since I've been taking that for years and never had a problem till I started having sex.
Also whenever I go to the doctor I tell him or her my symptoms and they just give me that one pill that clears it up until I get it again. Anyone advice on what I should do besides what I've already been trying? I also make sure to wash down there well every night...

Thank God I am not alone...It's nice to know there are a lot of you out there having this problem so it must be something and it doesn't seem like the Dr's want to help us out.

Cassandra.
i have read all this and well mine is a bit different. about a year ago i dated a guy for 5 months and we only had sex twice, after i got a yeast infection both times. i have never had one before and have not had one since, it turned me right off having it with him. well we are back to seeing each other again so guess i will see how it goes.

i will try some of the tips that have been given, hope it does not happen again. you are all right it is very frustrating
I am sorry you all are having it also but I am so glad to not be alone.  I was thinking I have cancer or something and this was my body's way of making me go to the doc.  I normally treat it over the counter.  However I am tired of going months without sex with my husband.  We've tried everything condoms etc.  I always get it right after sex.  I haven't been able to gag down yogurt so it won't help.  I litterly will throw it back up.  I am 28 I am not on BC I had a historectomy four years ago.  My husband does and will eat yogurt.  However it is highly possible on my sugar as I believe i'm borderline diabetic.  But I've cut my sugar down and drink more water now than ever.  I have an appt with my doc at 2:50 today we'll see what she says she's been pretty good at listening.  When I had a pulled muscle for over two months I told her I believed I had a muscle disease so she had me checked and went to a muscle specialist found out I have fibromylgia (fibromyalgia).  So she will listen, and if I find anything out I'll let you all know.
Wow this sounds like a common problem, i have a similar problem but it's a UTI and normally around the time i get my period. The doctor gives me very strong antibiotics for it but it still reoccurs.
My sister constantly suffers with yeast infections she's 27 and they have found that it's normally caused by certain brands of toilet paper. It leaves fibres on and around the vagina which then causes a yeast infection, she has to be very careful which brands she uses.
As for the rest of the advice most is common sense, eat natural yoghurts regularly. In reply to thetruthmaker i don't know how you cope goping through that ritual each time you make love, it would put me off so i take my hat off to you.
One very very important thing though never ever douche (use a turkey baster to insert anything into your vagina) It's not advised and could cause major complications and infections, so please steer clear of turkey basters!!
xxxxx
I am glad to know I am not the only person experiencing this, I have been with my boyfriend for four years and every time we have sex I get that burning itching sensation  of the yeast infection, and it last for days last time it went on for about 2-3 weeks, I've been to Dr.'s and they basically ignore everything I tell them and give me a pill, and then next time I have sex the yeast infection returns. I was on the depovara birth control shot for 3 years and had to stop taking it because I no longer have medical insurance to cover it, It seemed like as soon as I stopped taking the shot the yeast infections came a lot more frequently, I am a 20 year old woman and want to have sex with the man I love but it's just to painful anymore, any suggestions..?  
Sounds like there could be several issues going on here. So many infections are mistaken for yeast when they are actually a bacterial infection, which will not go away with yeast meds. Here's some suggestions I have:
1) for those of you not using protection, you may be having an allergic reaction to semen
2) for those of you who are, you may be allergic to the condom, definitely try non-latex
3) for everyone, try to find a pelvic pain specialist in your area
4) research vulvodynia, some of you might be experiencing this.

Good luck to all.
I am 43 years old and due to the cancer I had when I was 16 my immune system is weak. My arteries were grafted in my right leg and lymph nodes removed so I am prone to strep and staph which means antibiotics are always on hand.
I was prone to yeast infections but now I only get 1 or 2 a year.
I take 4 odorless garlic tablets a day. I take acidophilus tablets once per day. I eat yogurt but I use unflavored which contains less sugar. I add about 1 oz of walnuts or almonds which gives it more flavor. I also drink diet cranberry juice at least one glass per day.(If you don't like the taste of the juice get the cranberry tablets).  Also the more water you drink the better. After sex, wash and dry (use a blowdryer).

Keeping unflavored yogurt in the fridge is a good idea but you can put yogurt in ice cube trays and freeze it. After sex insert a small piece of the frozen yogurt into your vagina this will help keep yeast infections to a minimum. If you have a yeast infection the cooling effect is wonderful. Every 2 to 3 weeks replace the yogurt that is frozen. It will not lose its probiotic strength because it is frozen, when it thaws out in your vagina the cultures become active again. You can also dip a tampon into the yogurt and insert if you have a yeast infection with your period.
Also there are Hemorroid/vaginal pads which have witch hazel in them and they are great for cooling. At night when you have infection take 1 or 2 Benadryl before bed this will help with the itching and take down some of the swelling. There is also a chance that you will get a mild UTI with a yeast infection although you sometimes can't tell if the pain is from the yeast infection or a UTI. There is a product called Cystat which you can pick up anywhere that is an OTC remedy for UTI and you will pee clear not orange like most medicines. This product will help with back pain.
Remember sugar feeds yeast. When you have an infection you will crave sugar and carbs. The yeast needs sugar to continue to thrive. I keep sugar free lollipops and licorice in house and I trick my body into thinking I am giving it sugar.
I hope some of this helps you
I am soooo glad I found this. I was beginning to wonder what is wrong with me. This is putting a strain on my marriage because we want to be intimate,but the end result is too much! I, for one, am not disciplined enough to follow a strictly regimened diet! I enjoy eating, and I am underweight, so it is okay for me to indulge. My doctors act the same way...nonchalant. I want a cure! Isn't there a high dose anti-fungal that I can take to blast this thing out of my body??
hi some how im glad to read all this cuz i thought i was the only one, same here i get it like every single month and im even afraid to have sex cuz i know im gonna get it, i actually went to dr today cuz of the same yeast infections, i think in my case it has to do with a poor diet ever since i gain 20 pound like 4 years ago i ve been ia slave of yeast infectons, dr may think im diabetic so tomorrow im going for blood work, i ve also test for hiv and nothing negative cuz thats what they say hiv could be the cause of frequently yeast infections,  hopefully il get in a good 4 ever diet and exersise to see if it makes any difrence, im also very sensitive i cant use pads with perfume everything gotta be uncseneted, i think i got it now cuz last time i had sex i used ky lubricant so im gonna try not to use it....it is a big problem drs need to do something quick to come with some kind of solution, yougurt is also gd but money talks you have it when u can but when u cant u in trouble you know....well ladies lets just try to get in a gd diet and exercise see what happens...gd luck to all of us
I have also had the same problem for years. I started developing yeast infections in my senior year of high school. I am now over 30, and still suffer. I agree that eating yogurt and avoiding too much sugar are very important. Staying very clean and dry down there are very important too. I guess that some women are simply more prone to having a yeast overgrowth. Just stay consistently on top of it. That is the only way to prevent it.
Here's my story:
My husband (of 27 years) and I have been drifting apart over the last several years. Sex has slowly gone away, but when we do have it (which is usually once a month or maybe every other month) it is only after we've both been drinking a lot! And for the past 6 months I have noticed that the four times this has happened I have what I believe to be a yeast infection after wards. Here's the interesting part - For the past year I have been having an affair with my high school sweetheart. We see each other usually once a month. I have never experienced any discomfort after seeing him! And we have never had alcohol when we were together. So, my question is has anyone ever read anything to suggest that alcohol plays a part in a yeast infection? It's just very weird that I only have symptoms after sex with one of them and not both!
For everyone here with reoccuring yeast infections have you been tested and are sure that is what the issue is?  I thought I was having reoccuring yeast issues for 5 year, but when tested they came back neg.  Many drs and gynos had no idea why I was so itchy for so long.  Finally 5 years later I have the answer, I have just been diagnosed with VIN stage 1 and 2.  I am trying to post this info where ever I can so no one else has to suffer like I did at least they can get tested and either be treated or rule it out.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Vulva/Pre-cancerousconditions/Vin.aspx#DynamicJumpMenuManager_6_Anchor_4
I have had the Mirena IUD for two years now.  I have always had issues with yeast/bacteria infections especially after sex.  I have not had a period or spotting for almost a year now with Mirena and had not had sex in nine months.  I recently had sex two weeks ago and then 3 days ago and then today I woke up and had an uncomfortable feeling in my vagina.  I am having a little bit of spotting and a feeling of irritation on the inside of my vagina?  No real odor or discharge...could this be a yeast infection or what else could it be?? Thanks for any info!
It's refreshing to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I don't douche, am not on birth control or any meds, haven't changed my brand of condoms or sexual activities, I've been with the same person for the last 2 years but for the past couple of months every time we have sex (always protected) I get a yeast infection. Even without oral I still get it. It's super irritating and I am thinking from reading all the comments that he could be passing the infection to me (although he has no symptoms?) or I have suddenly developed a latex allergy. We use the same lube as we have in the past and haven't tried anything new at all so it's very strange.

It is my first summer living in Vegas and it has been 100-112 lately but I have a hard time believing it's just the weather. I'm a very clean person and we make sure to wash up well before touching each other. I have also been tested for stds lately and am clean. Only thing left is I know I need a pap smear, haven't had one in about 3 years. Neither of us has been with anyone else and I always go to the bathroom after intercourse. Are there any new insights?
So If you are doing the Ping Pong effect, even after showers and everything the yeast infection can not be eliminated, on the males body? I am curious because I have been having this problem where I have sex with my partner and then like a day later I have a yeast infection. I have noticed it too when I am pleasuring myself either via hand or toy that I get a yeast infection. I have gone to my Doctor and he just treats it. Is there anything else I can do?
OMG...THANKU THANKU THANKU THANKU!!! I was getting scared and starting to think I had an STD! I can't tell you just how RELIEVED I am to see that this is so common among so many women. My who-who itches like a beast every time I have sex, followed by that infamous yeast infection. I too thought I was allergic to condoms, so I discussed this with my new love interest and we decided not to use them. Well, low and behold...I still got the infection! So thanks to you all who shared your stories so freely, I now know what I have to do:

1: Yogurt and Probiotics are about to become my new best friend!
2: I'm soooo guilty of laying in my guys arms in the bliss of our after-sex and goin to sleep without showering until the next morning...NO MORE! I'm gettin my butt up and washing and blowdrying the area competely dry from now on!
3. I'm gonna start changing my undies 2-3 times per day (I'm willing to do more laundry!!)
4. I'm switching from those pretty lil silk panties to COTTON! (they make cotton thongs!)

So once again, thanku ladies...you've just given me new hope!!
I had not had sex for over two years up to last week..I had sex and the next day i noticed i was all itchy and with a whitish discharge and its still going on with the itching and leaking.Is it possible to detect a yeast infection right after sex.? as in the next day?
I am having the same issues. the first time I had this it was just after I got married and it took me a while but I found out that at that time it was the spermicide. After I stop using those it helped. but now i have it again and have been married 12 years. i am so much pain right now.
i dont know if anyone mentioned this...but i used to get a yeast infection EVERY time i took a bath or got in a hot tub or even a pool! something about the water getting up in there and not drying off enough...so i stopped taking baths, and havent had one since!!! hope this helps!
I didn't read every post in this thread so someone may have suggested this.  But the pH of the vagina is supposed to be in a certain range.  Anything that throws that pH off can lead to a breakout of a bacterial infection. Several different bacteria live in our vaginas all the time and are supposed to balance each other.  But a high pH can cause the one bacteria to grow faster and cause what we call a vaginal infection.  Taking a bath with bath soaps that flow into the vagina while you lay in the bath can change the pH.  The pH of semen is different than the vagina.  So every time you have unprotected sex and your man deposits semen in your vagina it raises the pH of the vagina.  Each time that happens you become susceptible to this bacterial imbalance that manifests as pain and discharge.  Try having sex with a condom and see if it helps.  Good luck to all!  
Thank God I found this forum!  I have had these symptoms for years and they come and go with stress level and dietary habits.  When I was living with my bf, I followed a very strict diet after a series of sudden health issues.  Bottom-line, I had to go on a restrictive diet because of food allergies and I had to stop using hormonal birth control due to the high blood pressure issues of both antihistamines and bc.  It was a blessing in disguise since my yeast infections, which had been occurring for years before we even started dating, suddenly started happening less frequently!  Now we are long-distance and I have been bad about my diet.  Unfortunately, every time we see each other, I have a yeast infection for a month!  It gets so bad that I have at times had split, chapped skin down there.  Being a total hypochondriac, I am always convinced that I have caught something more insidious.  I was trying to find a sympathetic doctor but never could.  One actually told me that if it eventually cures itself, why am i wasting his time and mine, as well as my money?  I cried.  Haven't been to a doctor since then, despite very painful infections that even hurt when I sit down.  If anyone knows of a specialist in the world-class Houston Medical Center, please let me know.  Even with my near-perfect diet in the past, my exercise, and my hygiene, I still got infections and have to know what else might be going on.  Thank you!
Guys, Ive had a HORRIBLE AWFUL time since I was 22 with Yeast and BV. Now Im 30.
It pretty much ruined my sex life up until 2 years ago, cuz I started doing several things to try to combat this issue. Its literally A WAR!!!
Boric Acid capsules. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks, once a day insert in vag at nite. Works, just be patient,and no sex. After sex, I ALWAYS get a yeast infection. Now, I use boric acid for one to two days after the day I had sex, and it prevents and nips the issue in the bud. Ive tried yogurt up in there several times, NEVER worked for me. However actually eating plain greek style yogurt everyday works. I make my own, cuz I eat so much. Look up online how to make yogurt, its very easy and well worth it. I use it in my smoothies and shakes everyday. Awesome. Realizing how much this condition was ruining my life, literally, could not focus during the day cuz I was always aware of being uncomfortble down there, and not being able to have sex, cuz it was so painful, I went on a whole herbal vitamin regime. I take a multi vitamin along with several other vitamins everyday. They say women prone to BV have a vit D and A deficiency. I also take an herb called **** Quai and that helps alot. Tea tree oil up inside me did not work, yogurt did not work, nor did garlic and douching. I even tried a sea salt douche that worked for a little while, than the raging infection came back. its been a nitemare for me really. I tried peroxide douching and vinigar, made things worse. Many women claim to get relief by taking Folic Acid.
Taking Folic Acid (2 800mcg) pills a day, worked for me for about 2 years. Then its like my body got used to it, and the infections came back with a vengeance. They also say, Gentian Violet soaked on a tampon works. Havnt tried it yet, dont know.

Boric Acid was the beginning of a real cure for me. Buy it offline, "food grade humco", boric acid, and empty gel caps off amazon.com. Cap them yourself, and store them. For a severe infection insert 2 capsules overnite for 2 weeks.

another miracle cure for me was a product you can get in the drugstore called Azo yeast. You take it orally and its homeopathic. A God send, in all seriousness guys, this along with the boric acid. I can now have sex, without LIVING IN FEAR OF ANOTHER INFECTION

This has been the biggest health challenge in my life, and I have done it all
another thing that helps alot is lemon water!!!! Lemon water, about a half lemon in one glass of ice water, once twice daily works too. If not that, then Vitamin C everyday as part of your vitamin regime.

The probiotic pearls, I take em, but I didnt really see too many improvements until, I started the Boric acid, Azo yeast program. Also, NO BATHS, NO WATER UP IN THERE EVER. To me, in my experience,  it seems to take, a looonng time to build up a healthy ph/healthy ratio friendly, not so friendly bacteria inside your vagina. washing it all out with water is about the worst thing you can do. I never wear thongs, and even bike riding causes a yeast infection for me. cotton boyshorts all the way man!!!

and yes, sugar does impact it too. Take more green vegetables, fruit in smoothies, and more things with FIBER. Keeping things regular is important too
and also, guys....I hate to admit it, but....Sex causes yeast infections. (period)

The minute you stop having sex, the yeast and bladder infections go away. Terrible!!
Why is that!!?
Something so natural, causes so much pain, and discomfort for us.
The minute I broke up with a boyfriend, or went about a month without sex, Id feel, "back to normal" down there again.
and its very hard to make your boyfriend understand what is going on with you, I just dont see how some of my frineds can have sex 3 times a day everyday without an infection.
I've had this problem for years.  I have found that the only thing that works is to take a shower right after sex and wash really well down there.  I know this is a turn off, when your done having sex you just want to lie in bed with the person your with not to mention if your trying to have a quikie somewhere were there is no shower readily available, but it has worked for me.  Timing is everything you have to shower as soon as your done with the deed.
If you take a warm bath after sex with baking soda it helps! It helps with yeast and bladder infections! I get them! Every time I have sex1 but the baking soda helps! Lots of water helps! And so does yogurt! If you get uti's lots of water and cranberyy/bluberry juice helps! Calcium citrate helps mucho! There are these pro b pills next to the pregnancy tests etc. At walmart for yeast and bacteria balance that also helps!
I really thought something was wrong with me I am glad i found this forum!!! I've been having yeast infections forever. At first I thought it was condoms, then i thought it was the birth control. I get them back to back to back to back. My boyfriend loves to have sex everyday. I say no and at times he feels I'm cheating. Finally I just told him what was the problem. I'm allergic to sex.  Thats what it all comes to. Doctors dont help. Just tell you to eat yogurt, wear cotton panties. I just want a Prevention. I'm only 24 and can't enjoy sex with my mate because i know what going to happen. As long as I dont have sex I'm fine no problems at all. I've went a year without sex. I just started back about 4 months ago. And guess what back  to back to back yeast infections. I'm just not going to have sex anymore. Naw just kidding, but it makes you feel that way. I'm very frustrated. I made a list of all the things you ladies said to do. I'm going to try it i pray it works. I hope i dont have to go on the rest of my life with yeast infections. By the way yes i am sure it's yeast infections. I get tested every 6 months.  and everything comes up negative. I sometimes wonder should I just stop taking my birth control if thats whats causing it. But thats not a option because i started BC when I was 17 because my periods made me extremely sick(throwing up 10 hrs a day heavy bleeding, and cramps that felt like someone was twisting my intestines). That happened on the first day of my cycle. So that would not be a option. Its just a shame i'm so young and cant enjoy sex s.m.h. Has anyone tried Yeast guard capsules? If so can you let me know if it works
I am so glad to have found this forum....like i thought something was wrong with me seriously each and everytime i have sex with my boyfriend of 3 yrs i get a yeast infection....i thought he was being unfaithful but then after looking into it and going to the doc she said i was just prone to them.....this really ***** n he felt really bad after i accused him.......i live in the caribbean so its even worst for me than some of you guys but thanks for the tips..i'll try the baking soda and yogurt as everyone including my doctor suggested.I don't think some of you may have yeast infections as we often misdiagnose every itch for one but i suggest you go to the doc asnd be diagnosed with it b4 saying tht it is one and using over-the-counter creams.......
Just wanting to share. I also get frequent yeast infections. Usually it's after oral sex, or sometimes just sex. I'm an RN. I talked with the Nurse practioner when I worked at the Health Dept. She educated me that semen (sperm/ejaculate) is a different pH than the normal pH in the vagina. Semen is more alkaline and the vagina is more acidic. Anyway, sex can disrupt the natural pH balance and make an environment that yeast can thrive in. I truly believe that eating yogurt can help because it allows the good bacteria to thrive, and makes it difficult for yeast to grow. I also think that one should shower or wash up well after having sex. Drying yourself with a hairdryer seems to be a good idea too. I seem to get a yeast infection if I have sex multiple times in a week. So, maybe limit the frequency of sexual intercourse (Sorry guys!!!). For oral yeast infections (a tongue coated white), it is a given to brush your teeth/tongue frequently. An old doc in my area used to prescribe gentian violet. It is a purple dye that one can purchase over the counter at a pharmacy. Old school pharmacists will know what it is, but young ones will not. The treatment is to stick a q-tip in the gentian violet, rub the q-tip against the insides of the bottle, so as to squeeze out any excess, then paint a strip down the middle of the tongue. It is not meant to be swallowed. Many babies get thrush and this can work for them. People with chemo, I'm assuming this could also work. Anyway, be prepared for a "Smurf" tongue and it will stain anything it comes in contact with. Also, I also think one should cut down on sugar/starch/carbs, as yeast love to feed off of sugar. Hope this helps someone.
Hello everyone. I have the same issues. I too, thought I was the only one. I have had a yeast infection on and off since July 2010 it is now almost February 2011 and it is very annoying! I did have a new sex partner in July and I am still with him, but I always used condoms with my other partners before him but not with the new boyfriend. After seeing 2 different doctors, he said that since the onset of the infection was directly after contact with the sperm that is the cause of the infection.I have also been tested for every STD under the sun, all clean.. But my boyfriend and I have used condoms since August and the damn infections keep coming back usually around the time of my period. I am starting to think that it never fully went away and that my body is immune to the creams and the diflucan. I don't know if I am diabetic or not because I don't have health insurance and it is very expensive even a Dr's visit. So, I'm going to try to treat this with putting natural yogurt up there and cleaning well and using the blow dryer down there after the shower to insure it's dry. I'm really stressed and my boyfriend is upset too, he is so patient and it ***** only being able to have sex once or twice every 3-4 weeks, but if I do it burns and makes it worse!!!! Do you think if I can fully make it go away and I use condoms and don't let his sperm get in contact with my vagina that I will not get them anymore? This is what I am thinking but getting rid of this thing is a pain!
Hi! im 28 years old.. thank god i found this forum too! now i know that im not the only one in the world...im from singapore and doctors here are damn unhelpful! they look at me as if im unhygienic! im married since 2010 and i have never change sex partner and only lately i kept having yeast infection..im so depress and i kept blaming my hubby... we are trying hard to have baby but now its really effecting our marriage;-( im so sad...yes! doctor wont help much;-( i found a list of yeast control capsule with lots of customer review on the medication! i have not tried any but will be buy a few to try out...you may browse this link i provide and read the reviews before buying....i pray this will help and we can enjoy our sex life as usual!  
Link:http://www.amazon.com/CandidaStat-Yeast-Balance-Support-Capsules/dp/B0002BB6YG/ref=pd_sim__6
I've never had this problem before I came overseas to be with my husband. I have had 7-9 yeast infections in 11 months, and my husband thinks something is wrong with me (diabetes, std, UTI). But I explain to him that yeast in a natural part of the body but I keep getting these yeast infections after sex or oral. It's so embarassing that I dont even want to tell him. I havent had one in months, and yesturday I felt it come on. I've been taking inner-health-plus, yokult (good bacteria drink shot), and wearing cotton underwear. Today he called me from work and told me he thinks I have a yeast infection because his 'area' is ichy, but I feel better right now :/ He has never shown any symtoms (symptoms) before so this worries me.  Can you share your experiences with your DH and any syntoms they have?
it sounds like your in the early stages of chronic bv. you will have it without even knowing it its kind of white watery creamy discharge with no smell at first but after a wile it keeps coming back.most likely you passed it on to your partner and you both keep passing it back.you both have to get treated woman otc bv treatment called vh essentias bout$25.for the men the doctor( azirthmicin) excuse the spelling. hope this works for you .
Neem oil inserted into the vagina and taking a probiotic called Femdophilus(jarrow brand) works too
I also had this problem for years.  Finally my husband and I both took a regimen of Diflucan (tablets - fights fungal infections - prescription from my ob/gyn).  We also eat lots of yogurt and take Align probiotics.  I haven't had a yeast infection in over a year so I think this did the trick.  My husband is more than willing to go along with the program for fear that I would stop having sex altogether.  LOL

Don't let your doctor tell you that one tablet is enough.  Usually that would be true for normal yeast infections, but recurring ones indicate a deeper infection that is never completely going away.
I too seem to be having the same symptoms as everyone else. Burning, itching. Not much discharge tho. I would get it every time I had sex with my previous partner, with or without a condom. Two years later, with no sex (*eep!), two years yeast free, and now new partner, always using condom and I've got a yeast infection again! I'm going to try some of these tips on here, and let you know how it goes.
I am 48 yrs old and I have been suffering for at least 2 yrs now...but I look back and it was there pretty much since my late teens...I had horrible acne and my Dr. gave me and antibotic (antibiotic) for yrs for it...I think that was the beginning of my downfall....anyway, I keep researching and most of what I've found has already been posted....but here's one that has not
GARLIC
everywhere I've looked garlic seems to be mentioned...so here's what I've found....garlic destroys yeast....it's not added to garlic bread til the end cause it kills the yeast...so here's how you use it....
one clove of garlic...pilled and the ends cut off
place in a piece of gause and twist making like a tampon and use a string to tie it....place in vagina over night...you will taste the garlic but you know its working....the next morning use the string to pull out...just like a tampon...
I hope this helps someone...I do feel some better and I've been doing it for 3 weeks....also trying to limit my sugar intake...wow is it hard to do....I can tell once I feel better I start to crave the sugar so I know the yeast is fighting back in my body...it's kinda like a battle ground....I pray to God that He lets me win this battle!
The reason the yogurt works is because it contains Probiotics, taking a yogurt that has it added would be very helpfull. Also a Probiotic supplement would work too.
strong antibiotics and birth control pills were the problem for me. (I will never take Yaz again...but that's another story). OTC monistat- (I did 1 x 3 day and later 2 x 1 day treatments in 2 days) and prescription diflucan (3 pills in 4 days) didn't completely wipe it out and I was getting concerned about further yeast colonization and having it go systemic, but GARLIC worked for me! I used odorless garlic pills from Walmart and used them as suppositories (and found out they are only odorless until the capsule dissolves.  LOL!)  3 per night for a week.  I used a light pad because they get drippy (yuk) but to drip is better than to itch, I say.  PS.  do it at night I hear it causes burning in some people- didn't in me.  I also used unsweetened Kefir (a liquidy cousin to yogurt that has 10 probiotics instead of 2 like yogurt) as a coating all over the area, both inside and out.  It was very soothing and helped re-establish appropriate bacteria in the vaginal cavity.  I used the Kefir during the day. (make sure, for sure, that it is unsweetened because sugar (even cane juice) feeds yeast- not what you want to do!!) Another fact about yeast infection: pH has a great deal to do with yeast overgrowth in the vagina.  Normal vaginal pH is on the acidic side and semen is alkaline, so is water. Soap has a pH of 9-10, quite basic, so no wonder these things contribute to the yeast problem.  Also, yeast burns the tissues so it may take several days to a few weeks for the epithelial tissues (vaginal skin) to regrow.  ouch.  thankfully, that tissue regenerates at a faster rate than other places on the body.  Unfortunately, I have to agree that conventional medicine was not helping me, either.  So, you gotta do what you gotta do!  Natural remedy- here goes!  And it worked for me! May everyone here become yeast free- yeast is from hell, for sure!!  oh boy this was a long post.  hope it helps someone :)  one more thing- I tried topical application of hydrogen peroxide, too but quit because it's harsh, it burns and it kills everything, which I didn't think was a great idea.
me again.  I forgot to add the reason garlic works is because it is reportedly a broad spectrum antibiotic as well as antifungal and antiprotazoal. (google this fact for information from several reputable sites)  Allicin is the property name.  So, apply to skin directly for a vaginal yeast infection or an oral (thrush) infection and swallow it if you are concerned about a system-wide infection. Heaven forbid it would go systemic. Note: garlic taken by mouth is also a anticoagulant so it potentiates warfarin (coumadin) and shouldn't be taken in conditions with risk of bleeding.  You should talk to the doctor about that part.  Do your research and talk to a doctor or pharmacist if you take any other drugs as well.  I didn't because I'm not on anything.  Remember that herbal supplements can have interactions with prescription drugs.  :)
I've been with my husband 7 yrs and even though I am diabetic this had never happended to me that this year I've been getting yeast infections very very often to the point that I don't even want to have sex bcuz it kills me and it cuts me so bad I just abstein from it I've went to the hospital bcuz it got really bad but it didn't help at all please any names of yogurts that help let me know I'm willing to try anything at this time
Hello Ladies. I just wanted to let you all know there is help. I've been having the same problem for some years now, my doctor told me about an inexpensive over the counter  pill called AZO Yeast, very good product! When I feel one coming on after sex, I take 2 immediatly, and it starts to go away. Now, I'm just taking 1 a day to prevent one. It comes HIGHLY recommended.
This is a fantastic forum and great to see that I was not the only one with this problem.
However, I found what helps me:
In Europe you can buy a gel that prevents yeast or bacterial infections. I had yeast infection for years and all doctors did was prescribe me some canesten, Diflucan and similar. This thing saved my life.
It has many names- in UK it's called Bio-Fem gel, in Germany Multi-Gyn Actigel in some countries Bio-clin actigel... Neverthless, it is the same gel produced by Bioclin BV in Delft in Netherland.
Use it every time after sex and you should be free of nasty infections.I use it before sex as well, but this is not good if you want to stay pregnant.

The gel binds to the receptors on our cells on which normally yeast and bacteria as well bind. In this way all receptors are occupied and bacteria or yeast can't bind and infect us.
Every time when we have sex, many small micro injuries happen. They open new possibilities for yeast to attach. with this gel, at least for me and many other women here I know, the infection doesn't get a chance. It also sets pH of yoru vagina to acidic, so it stimulates normal bacterial thereby reducing the food available to bad bacteria and yeast, so they are not the major part of the animal kingdom in you. (similar thing is done by yogurt, which has milk bacteria, that secrete acidic liquids and stop bad guys from growing- just that takes time and is not as efficient).

That is what I learned and what changed my life:)

What I wonder is how women lived all these centuries without yeast drugs or this gel or similar??? Human bodies are really badly designed:)

i feel so relieved reading this post. I wasn't sure if there were more women like me. ive had 4 yeast infections this year, i don't use birth control and i'm not sure if i'm diabetic.

i cant have too much sex with my partner because of a yeast infection. if i have too much intercourse (2-3 time in a week) i would get an uti and then yeast infection. i'm tired of this. i've seen my doctor many times, ive used over the counter medication and i use condoms..

i swear im ready to pull my hair out of frustration.
i hate yogurt. but ive started taking the azo  daily pills that supposedly help preventing yeast infections.

i need relief... this is so frustrating... i feel disgusting, uncomfortable and embarrassed telling my man hey honey no sex cuz i have  a bread factory in my cooch..  

lets pray we find relief..

Do you guys know what type of yoghurt is best?
I wish someone had an answer this too, I've been having protected sex w/ the same guy for almost a year and I get a yeast infection every time we have sex. I was just in the ER on saturday b/c it was so bad. I have no idea what is goin on. Its only with this guy. And I've never had so many consistent cases of a yeast infection
I am 53, Been married for 30 yrs. Have only had sex with the one. Well when we first got married, i had yeast infections about two or three times a yr. OK this is going to sound strange but i was desprate. I started keeping up with everything, what we ate, drank, everything. Well i noticed when my husband drank a LOT of beer. wham ! instant yeast infection. Well the older we got the less he drank. Sometimes he would go mts. without a beer. Now recently, he has drank quit a bit. We have had many get togeathers with family, friends etc. and it has been really hot. Suddenly i get a yeast infection after a big fourth of july celabration. And yes all the guys got hammered. Could it be the beer?
before you blame everything on the east infection,make an important step...bring your husband,partner to urologist..2 of my friends had teh surprise of their life!!their partners had chlamydia...and my friends were always (chlamydia)negative and their doctors blamed everything on the east infection!!!European doctors check also the husbands,partners!!!very importante!!!..the gynecologist could not believe it!!both were always chlamydia negative!!!but partners were positive...
I too have been having the same problem for years now. This is something I noticed which might help -- I only get it if I haven't had sex in a while (a few months, for example), and then do. So funny as it sounds, I think it helps to keep sexual activity regular. I believe that climate change (dry, then moist, vice versa) has something to do with it. Also, try to wear all breathable fabric down there. That helps me a lot! Those really sexy underwears are often made of nylon, polyester blends to give it that lacy look; stay with 100% cotton instead.  It is also suppose to help if you clean the area right after sex (this is hard to do when you're so relax and feeling intimate with your partner). Try to have a vaginal wipe handy. The fluids exchange make it an ideal environment for yeast growth.
Is having sex during yeast infection bad?? Or should I tell him no no sex for a week because I have a yeast infection!! ;( I don't know what to do anymore !! This yeast thing is driving me crazy and it's embarrassing !!
This has helped me so much, as soon as my fianc
I was married for 6yrs and just got back into a relationship with an old high school friend. But I have noticed after intercourse I get a yeast infection! Every time! This was never a problem for me before. What can I do? And what might be causing this?
I thought I was loosing my mind. I have never ever had this problem before. I got divorced, started dating a new guy and here we are 9 month later, with this problem going on since day one. On top of the yeast infections (which actually happen almost every time but are guaranteed if we do it more than once a day), i also get a UTI. I went to 3 doctors and same response. Nothing! Not even a concern. They told me there's nothing I can do. Problem is, now we are trying to conceive and weird things are happening. I am spotting after sex. My periods have become very irregular after being on a solid 28 day cycle since i was 13. I have had 2 ultrasounds, blood tests, perscription vaginal creme, yeast pills, homeopathics for the UTIs. I don't know what to do.
Your prolly passing the yeast infection back n forth.. I kno if your man fingers you and his hands are dirty it can set off the PH balance of the vagina n cause a yeast infection.. N constant unprotected sex with out the pull out method can cause an injection cause his "juice" is just sitting in there n building up... I'm personally semi prone to yeast infections myself n get them twice a year... Idk some girls are just prone to yeast infections. They have alot to do with hygiene. But yes yeast infections can be caused by unprotected sex due to all the juices involved
i have infection on top skin coverage on red bulb of my penis after intercourse with my partner so what can i do.
Males ~ go to a urologist to get checked and cleared/diagnosed.
Females ~ this *****! I'm on the repeat yeast AND BV (bacterial vaginosis) meds every 3-4 weeks too!  I'm considering the candida diet and stopping my BC pills which I take only to prevent my endometriosis issues.
I do find that I feel best when I dint eat ANY sugar or substitutes and limit carbs.  I also use RePhresh gel before and/or after sex to regulate the Ph.  There are also RePhresh Pro B pills to take once a day (or twice a day while having an infection).  I also eat organic non fat yogurts, all natural, on a daily basis.  Greek is best for me.  Don't eat the sugary ones, they're not going to help, they'll feed the yeast.
I wish someone would figure this stuff out and ZAP it away!
Also, yeast hate garlic, so I take garlic pills at least twice a day. You can also insert a peeled clove for 20 min to instantly relieve symptoms ;) (true!)
Hi I have the same problem and I've been able to test it as I've been single for many years. I go a year without sex and don't have any problems (no thrush at all) had sex 6 mths ago got thrush straight after it.. Now I have just had sex again with someone else and got thrush straight after it.. This is also happening with a condom. Also when i was seeing someone regularly 2 years ago and once a week sex i would have an ongoing infection. What is going on here. Is it from  cunnilingus??? Can anyone help?
Hi I have the same problem and I've been able to test it as I've been single for many years.
So it def is from sex. I go a year without sex and don't have any problems (no thrush at all) had sex 6 mths ago got thrush straight after it.. Now I have just had sex again with someone else and got thrush straight after it.. This is also happening with a condom. Also when i was seeing someone regularly 2 years ago and once a week sex i would have an ongoing infection. What is going on here. Is it from  cunnilingus??? Can anyone help?
Just read some comments about beer. Guy I was seeing regularly was a heavy beer drinker this is when I started getting the infection ALOT. And last 2 times I was with guys they were drinking beer while giving cunnilingus. Just a thought.
Hi I've figured out what's wrong with me so I thought I'd post here to help you ladies out.. I have CANDIDA. I have all the symptoms including B12 deficient. 75% of women get it and this will explain thrush after sex as you have overgrown yeast thoughout your body and having sex / cunnilingus agrivates
Hi I've figured out what's wrong with me so I thought I'd post here to help you ladies out.. I have CANDIDA. I have all the symptoms including B12 deficient. 75% of women get it and this will explain thrush after sex as you have overgrown yeast thoughout your body and having sex / cunnilingus will bring it out. You can get rid of it with a strict candida diet and seeing a naturopath. Apparently doctors arnt taught about candida which is why they have been so unhelpful!! More info online.
Wow Im not the only one. This is soooo frustrating to me. Everytime I have sex I get the yeast the next day. I have decided to just chill on sex for a while and take better care of my body, eat more yogurt (acidophilus), I also use would get bacterial infections but once I used Apple Cider Vinegar that took care of those but now I just get the yeast infections. I still dush with the Apple Cider because they say it's suppose to cure the yeast infections but not sure about that one. I also told a doctor about my current yeast infections and along with the pill he wrote a prescription for a pill the orally insert inside to me not sure what it was called but it was something they used to help enbolm dead people. That didnt work either. I've just decided to take it slow and get a pap smear and make sure everything is ok down there.
Also wanted to mention that I am currently on the Master Cleanse Diet which helps your PH levels. Low level of your PH balance is also why we get alot of yeast infections. Google Lemonade Diet (Master Cleanse) to read more about it. Great way to cleanse your body and lose weight. I lost 7 pounds in 3 days but I loose weight pretty fast. Also it gives you a super boost of energy. No more bags under my eyes or sleeping half the day. It may taste gross  but the benefits are great.
I thought I was the only girl suffering this horrible problem. I already am suffering from interstitial cystitis which becomes an issue with sex; Now recurring yeast infections! It is ALWAYS exactly 2 days after my boyfriend and I have sex I begin to see symptoms of an infection (discharge, itching..etc). It has been continuously happening for 5 months now. I have been with the same partner and we ALWAYS use a condom. I have been to the Gynecologist several times and he acts like its not big deal and there isn't anything he can do.  I have already been tested for HIV and Diabetes both Negative. I am also on Mircette birth control. I am slowly but surely beginning to lose my mind. I do not know what to do. I wash myself everday with mild soap (after sex), I pee before and after sex, I take acidophilus every day, change underwear (cotton) twice a day, panty free at night, loose clothes all day. I mean what can I do!!
You’re doing everything right, so I can understand why you feel frustrated.  The fact that you always use a condom makes it unlikely that this is a ping pong infection (where one partner alternately infects the other). Taking acidophilus daily is great but if you have high acid levels in your stomach that might diminish the benefits; consider also eating yogurt daily.  Another thing that nobody has mentioned up to this point is the impact of lubrication on a woman’s vaginal PH.  When you make love the vaginal canal gets flooded with fluid which causes your vaginal PH to get more alkaline (less acidic) and creates a great environment for yeasts (semen does the same thing, so for those of you who don’t use condoms, your partner could be contributing to your problem even if he doesn’t have a yeast infection).  If you are one of these people who take antibiotics frequently for things like sinus infections (like yours truly) then the PH imbalance could be affecting you more then others.  I recommend using a PH balancing gel like Refreph before intercourse in addition to all the other smart things you’re doing.  I was having the same problem for years (sex = guaranteed yeast infection) and using Rephresh before sex prevents these pesky yeast infections 85-90% of the time for me.  However, since my husband and I don’t use condoms, I plan on having him tested for a yeast infection . . . I never liked ping pong.  
Hi, I've been with the same guy/husband now for 15 years and periodically have yeast infection.
1. You cannot treat yeast infection, it is forever with you, but you can stop having bacteria grow if you keep pH in your vagina just right.  I am not a doctor, but a chemist so I know some about pH.
2. I have yest infections only a) if we have sex several times in a row;  b) if I don't wash right after the sex;  c) we use condoms.
Your partner's sperm could have a  basic pH (slightly basic is normal, but maybe his is a little higher than normal) - that would cause yeast infection. I don't believe anything can be done about it, so just wash vagina after sex right away.
My explanation for condoms is low natural lubrication in my case and it causes irritation and then triggers yeast infection.
3. Also don't use soap, just water will be enough. Soap has basic pH and it could be one of the causes of this bacteria to grow.
4. When we were younger we had a lot of sex even with yeast infection (painful at times, but desire was higher :-). I remember that it went away after a while (maybe my body  to the new pH environment).
5. Eating yogurt has no direct effect on vagina, but it can improve overall flora (balance) in your body. For those of you that apply it to your vagina, it helps because yogurt has acidic  that is similar to the pH of female lubricating liquid.

Good luck
Thank you for sharing. Mine also shows up exactly 2 days after sex. Its been about 6 years now. So frustrating. Right now otc topical creams don't even work anymore. It makes me so unhappy. Hope someone is able to do some research and come up with a cause and cure.
I'm relieved I'm not the only one going though this problem. I've been having ongoing yeast infections after sex and it's just frustrating. I've been to the gynecologist 4 times this year and everything comes back negative. I've also been tested for diabetes and that came back negative as well. My doctor just keeps treating me with terconazole, but I was hoping she'd find out why this is happening. I've tried azo yeast pills, yogurt with probiotic, more water and less sugar but it hasn't helped. If anyone has figured out preventative measures for this annoying problem please, please post it. I'd like to go back to having a normal and fun sex life :(
Ladies please try this wonderful vaginal probiotic called FloraFemme. It's a prescription strength, very effective suppository which balances your vaginal pH and cures BV, Yeast infections, and treats vaginal odor. The results I had were nothing short of miraculous, especially since I had tried everything on the market. It's a highly concentrated blend of vaginal probiotics, and is 100% natural. You can google it and buy it online or through Amazon. If you get repeat infections, please give this awesome stuff a try! Good luck ladies!
im so glad im not the only one, i have the same problem. my doctor said it is because my immune system is weak and i am prone to infections. so she said i have to enhance my immune system, then she gave me flagystatin. it works like a charm but a little messy.
   So, Months down the line I tried what you said by using the Rephresh PH vaginal gel and It works!! It is the miracle that I am so glad to have found! Thank you so much for suggesting it because without you suggesting it my sex life would be completely out of the window.

To everyone who has been having this recurring problem after sex I would suggest using the Rephresh PH Vaginal Gel right after you perform intercourse. This gel is made to balance out the PH in your vagina that becomes imbalanced after your perform intercourse, the gel helps by maintaining the good and bad bacteria, and keep from causing an infection.  Make sure you lay down after inserting the gel so it has time to set and adhere to your vaginal walls. But other than that it has been working great! It lasts for 3 days so that means 3 days of sex without worrying about an infection!!
I also keep gettin yeast infection nd im gettin so damn mad I just wanna rip my hair out. And I notice them comin after havin sex and I take the one pill and it goes away but then it comes back. Either that or a bacterial infection. But like all you guys I juss wanna figure out wht it is..
I hadn't had a yeast infection until last year, after my Dr prescribed an antibiotic for my Rosacea.   Then I found out what a yeast infection was!   Wow, I've never been so itchy in my life!   I keep getting it, and have figured out my husband of 17 years must be giving it back to me, although he has no symptoms.  I take Odorless Garlic pills (WalMart) and Probiotic and Acidophilus pills too (also WM).  I have a Dr's app't tomorrow, and hope he'll give me something that'll kill it in me and my DH once and for all!  This yeast infection thing certainly ruins the enjoyment of life!    Deb M :)
I'm not alone!  I thought I was dying! my past included 2 partners -- never had a YI. they were just a problem the women on commercials had. About a year ago I started seeing a new partner (#3) and got my first YI. I didnt know WHAT to do! He and #2 are the only partners I've had recently and since then i've gotten about 5 or 6 YIs only with #3. They dont happen EVERY time (obviously) but i've noticed that if we've had intercourse about week or so before my period, then wham. i'll get one a week to the day that we did. i've used OTC monistat 1 day which i found worked much quicker than the one time i was prescribed fluconaze. that took daaaaays for relief it seemed. I've also gotten rolled eyes from my gyn who tries to convince me i dont have any std;s but i find it very strange that it's ONLY with this one person. any possibility it's something with him? i was worried bc he's also the only non-monogamous relationship i've had. could he have it from someone else?
I started having a problem with bv and yeast infections about 2 years ago after I had unprotected sex for the first time ever. Antibiotics would clear symptoms for about a month and then they would come right back. I decided to do some research of my own (I don't like yogurt) and came up with a regiment that has left me bv and yeast infection FREE for a year now . I take a probiotic by RepHresh called Pro-B (not all have to take it daily) daily and use Summer's Eve cleansing wash (the pink unscented one) for washing down below. And drink pleanty of water & the real cranberry juice!
I have always been prone to yeast infections, whether I'm sexually active or not. However, about 3 months ago i developed a yeast infection. I suppose I sort of half a** treated it before my boyfriend and I had sex again. It stung a little the first time, and the second time was worse. A few weeks later I treated it again, the symptoms during the day seemed to be gone....until the next time we had sex again. I finally went to the doctor a little less than a month ago, and she put me on that oral yeast infection pill. We had sex a week later, and once again, the first time I thought "okay it hardly hurts" and then it continued. I've been on Monistat 7 the past week and we tried this morning and the sex still stung. I'm hoping that the reason is that we're just having sex too soon after treatment and that my vagina needs a few weeks for the inflammation to go down. I've been tested for everything and it all comes back fine! My lady doctor, like all of you ladies, seems to think it's not a big deal at all. SO FRUSTRATING
Hi I av lupus s.l.e ,
I'm on loads of meds catch flus etc so I do be on lots of antibiotics but I was jst put on some fr my sore throat n I was given diflucan for some vaginal discomfort/pain I'm experiencing., and I don't no wheither its from sex or not doesn't seem to be helping I get it a lot I cannot walk with it most days and cannot wear underwear with it. It really hurts.
I've been suffering from yeast infections off and on for about 3-4 yrs its so annoying its like I can't even have a normal sex life...but i know they say acidophilus pills and yogurt daily are good choices... I use acidophilus pills on and off and i think its good... i bought AZO but only used it for a week... Just have to be consistent in whatever you use and try to use unscented products...also neutrogena transparent original formula fragrance free soap helps too...its hard because it often appears after sex then we treat it but dont give our body time to heal....uggghhhh good luck to everyone
I am 45 & am now experiencing 1st ever yeast infections - recurrent - since I have been w/ my husband. I am diabetic but never had even one before. So far, it has been 5 times - each after the two days we've spent together. We do not use b.c., sorry if T.M.I. but I need help - yes, when we are together - we have sex anywhere from 15-30 times in 2 days. Also, first time I have ever used lubricant - tried a couple different recommended ones - no glycerin, etc. Even w/ lubricant, my husband is big & am not sure if it's just the semen or what. He's had no ill-effect. I am lactose-intolerant so no yogurt but have been doing the lactobacillis pro-biotic stuff - so far, no help!
If you find out if there is something else that can be done please share am gald am not the only one.
Thank god, I thought I was the only person, I would always talk to my friends if they had problems and they didn't! I have tried EVERYTHING! To pee before and after sex, shower right away and drink a lot of liquids. But nothing works, the doc. Has perscribed me for pills after sex, but having to take one everytime after you have sex is annoying. Has anyone figured out a way to prevent getting infections after sex, with out going to the doctors every other week!?
A yogurt SUPPOSITORY will get rid of a yeast infection fast.  But it needs to be plain, unsweetened (and hopefully organic) yogurt.  It works much better than drugs and you'll be feeling better the same day.
I'm having itching and burning someone help please
I'm a 54 year old man. I have been with the same woman for a year and 3 months. this has been an ongoing problem in our relationship every time we make love she ends up with the burning itching in a yeast infection. I too have even had the burning when peeing after we made love. But every time she hands that her sister said well he's been out of town maybe he's not been faithful. But everything she's ever ask me I've always done and went 10 x beyond that. She even asked me to go be checked in have that sexual thing done I said yes Jesus Christ that hurt but I did it. I told doctor to check from A to Z for her because I love her that much. I never questions are asked her to go through the same thing. All my results came back negative and I showed her the paper. But yet when we make love she still end up with a yeast infection. and yes every time we make love I always make sure she is lubricated because I do not want to hurt her because l am a bit on the large size in that dept.
7x2 l was wondering if that was it to becsuse being large. When we first did it we msde love 8 x thst night. Gour days lster 6x. As the months went on we moved in together it slowed down and she told me about the hurting and burning all new to me. Lady's l am very faithful. That is very sacred to me. I was with the same woman for 30 years before she died. and I have been with this beatyful women for 1yr 3 months very faithful. I just want to know what to do to help her-  us. Thank you
I am 35 yo, I had a couple of east infections in my early days of having sex, but when I turned 30, after 2 years with no sex, I started going out with this guy, after having sex, two days later I had east infections. EVERY TIME! A few months later I broke up with him thinking that he was the problem. Another year with no sex and no problems, on the last year or so I have had four different partners and every time, with every partner I get east infections... I started to think that I wasted a Mr. Right and I was the problem all along!  Please help!
I was having the same problem. My doc gave me advice on a home remedy. She told me to let a tampon soak in peroxide and insert it for about 3 min for 3 days. She told me to do this every month after my cycle and it works. She explained to me that this restores my ph levels, kills the bad bacteria and promotes growth for the good ones.
Same problem here. I found taking acidophilis ( a probiotic ) kept them at bay. As well as eating yogurt everyday. I still get them from time to time and it does get quite annoying. I found that if you also make sure you and you're partner washes properly before and after being intimate can also help. Also, women should try to pee right after having sex. Helps prevent bladder infections. Only 23 and I already hate the idea of having sex because of what I have to go through afterwards.. It's really ruining sex for me.
Just want to thank you for your very informative and educational post! I'm off to whole foods! :-) B Complex has been helpful for my adrenal fatigue if you can use that info. Thank you again!
Hello ladies, I hope someone out there can help me! So it all started 2 years ago when I had my gall bladder removed 4 days after surgery I got this rash on the opening of my vagina, I thought it will go away because I thought it was because I was in bed for too long and I was on my period. It got worse 1 month later it was sooo painful, itch and sore. Whent to the first gyno, she prescribed diflucan she said it was vactirial vaginosis.. took the pill felt way better after 5 days everything was gone!!! Had sex with my new husband cuz we had just gotten married a week before my surgery... couple of days later I notice the same symptoms so I take a diflucan pill wich I had left because the gyno had giving me 4 since it was really bad. So everything gets cleared up again then I have sex again with my husban and it happened again and again long story short o've gone to 3 gynos and no body can find what I have the 2nd and 3rd gyno thought I had herpes and tested me over and over again and everything came back negative, I told them I had only been with 2 people and I knew I coulnt have herpes we always used protection. Anyways right now 2 years later with the same symptoms,  burning, itching,  soreness ect I still have all my test come back negative for bacterial vaginosis, yeast ect.... uggh what can I do I stoped having sex seen 2 months a go or maybe longer thus is not good for a couple that just got married 2 yrs ago and havent even enjoyed sex after marriage! ....
Yogurt helps if its plain, no added ingredients like sugar etc. also if a male has a not so clean genital area he could just be feeding the natural yeast in your vagina his penis's bacteria. Try making sure he cleans hisself before and after sex... Be adamant about cleaning yourself before and after as well.
I had my first yeast infection when I was 10 years old, so I am a pro. All this talk about washing, clean underwear, blow drying, yoghurt, is ********. I have tried it all. Ask you doctor to go an a 6-month treatment with Diflucan (for sure you'll be yeast free for at least six months). This removes the yeast from your digestive, intestinal, and vaginal track and should keep you yeast free for a long time). Then take Acidophilus Pearls on a regular basis (it releases good bacteria in your intestinal track, which balances the enormous amount of yeast we seem to have) . Yoghurt only addresses the stomach.  Always have a Diflucan pill with you.
So i scrolled and read almost all answers...and i get the same conclusion..Yeast infections are horrible! When I first got my yeast infection ( because of an antibiotics treatment over 10 years ago ) I got treated with Fluconazole. Since then no problems. After 3-4 years i guess, when I had a severe cold, also after  antibiotics treatment I started to have yeast infections on a regular basis.. I tried again Fluconazole a short treatment for a month, it didn't work..
I know all the recommendations for prevention, I eat Kefir ( that has a good bacteria - better then yogurt for yeast infections) , I take probiotics - as soon as i stopped probiotics and didn't eat at least 1 kefir a week, here it is again the yeast infection.

It's really annoying...I wish there could be a remedy, not a quick fix... I can't believe that this is the quick fix... I  think i need to take probiotics for the rest of my life and eat kefir once a week :)))
Your comment about how to proceed before and after sex leads me to believe you are in a committed relationship.  I generally have no idea when I will have sex.  The yeast infections only come with sex.  Every time I have sex.  Two months ago sex with a guy from the bar using a condom I get a yeast infection.  Two days ago sex with a friend using a condom I get a yeast infection.  Either way putting yogurt in my vagina after sex isn't an option.  The friend and I had sex 3 times that night.  Each time was a surprise to me (wasn't aware the friend was interested and extremely virile).  I think it would have been a little weird if the second time he discovered yogurt in my vagina.  My sex life is in frequent because I am single but it is certainly unpleasant getting one of these EVERY time I do get to have sex.  And what will happen if I get a regular partner? Sex once every two weeks?  That doesnt seem like much fun to me.
Try shoving a half garlic clove up there for a week.