yellowish big toe nail

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

yellowish big toe nail

My big toe (the entire nail) has a yellowish color to it. I've had this for about one month now. My third toe is not yellow however it is thicker than normal, it's been this way for about a month and  1/2. I experience no pain however it's frustrating to not know what caused this. What could possibly cause this when all my other toe nails are perfectly normal? Could it be my diet? I've been using an anti-bacterial gel for the nails but they remain the same. Please respond soon w/ any suggesttions.
All I can think is about that commercial where the little bug lifted up the toenail and "created a home there". But for the lide of me I can not remember what the condition was called. All I can remember is that there is a pill that you can take thay will make it all better! Sorry I can't help more do a google search and see what you find.

mamabear
Hello I too have the same problem. It's toe fungus. Usually you have to get a prescription like Lamisil to totally take care of it and then you have to wait for your toe nails to grow out. It pretty much sucks. Good luck!
I'm pretty sure it's "Lamisil".  I think you have to get a prescrip from the doc for it.
Do you always have your toes painted?  If I use a dark color on my hands or toes, it will make my big toe very yellow....you can buff it out..Good luck.

Gina
I had to stop getting pedicures for that reason too. it takes forever to grow out!
Sounds right to me- I had to get a RX for Lamisil after I got toenail fungus. It seems like mine appeared a couple of weeks after getting a pedicure, but that's not the only way it is spread. The topical stuff won't work as well, but I have heard that using Vick's Vaporub on your toenails will help. Don't ask me how- but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
I know I hate it, because I loved getting pedi's. But now I'm too paranoid to get them done anywhere. I just stick to doing my own toes now.
Hi,I have the same problem.My family doctor reccomended vicks vapor rub.Put it on your toe nail 3 times a day.It usually takes about 12 thru 18 months before it gets better.Good luck to you.Raven33.