Surgery While on Period
Hello everyone.

I am scheduled for surgery this Thursday for the removal of a lipoma located on my back.  My period started today but I was not expecting it until the end of the week.  I called earlier to make sure there was no problem having the surgery while on my period and I was told it was okay but not by the actual doctor.  Has anyone had surgery while on your period?  Do you just wear a tampoon?

Thanks much.
I havent had surgery while on a period but i had a discussion under a different forum about this same thing. They said yes you can still have surgery, but the girl also said she had wore a tampon and they made her put a pad on instead.
They probably will give you one of those huge and ineffective pads to wear.  I would put in the tampon and see if they let you get away with it; it would be much cleaner afterwards since you will be sedated.  If you have light periods, it might not matter too much.  I don't know what your situation is.  I hope your surgery goes well and that you feel better:)
You proly won't get away with having a tampon on during surgery because of germs.  It's not an issue you being on your period, but understand that they might not even put a pad on you.  
These people deal with blood all the time, so I know it may be kind of embarressing for you, but not anything they haven't seen before.
The nurses in the operating room are the only ones that will know for sure what they will do.  
I had arthroscopic knee surgery while on my period.  Like Laura mentioned, they wouldn't even let me wear a pad, since I couldn't wear my undies or anything but the hospital gown.  I was mortified and begged them, but they said that pads and underwear aren't sterile (I can't wear tampons due to STSS- toxic shock).  They gave me one of those sterile blue-plastic backed pads (looked like a doggie piddle pad) to sit on/lay on when on the bed, and to be honest, due to all the stress of the surgery and the cold of being in a hospital with nothing but a thin gown/sheet on, my flow pretty much stopped during it all anyway.
Funny how back then I was soooo mortified and embarassed; but now that I've had a child (and am pg again), I realize just how trivial it all was to worry about... childbirth is so much more messy and bloody than some from AF.
Good luck with your surgery and try not to stress about it too much! Take a pad and tampon along and ask when the time comes, but if they say none-of-the-above, it'll all be okay!
Surgery was successful and I did have to wear their Victoria's Secret special.  :)  It was not that bad and I it was a couple of days into my cycle so I was not that heavy.  Thanks for the info everyone!!
hahaha, I love how everyone calls it the Victoria's secret special/undies. I had surgery last year while I was on my period, had those lovely undies and a huge pad. After the surgery I barely bled though. You're not supposed to have anything inside of you during surgeries, so tampons are off limits. You either get a huge pad to wear or the cloth pad to lay on, on your hospital bed. Glad everything went well.
Glad to hear all went well!! I was going to tell you that I had lap surgery and was on my period. I had to wear one of those victoria secret specials myself.

The ladies told me that sometimes just the stress from surgery will make you start.