Women's Social Community
hobbys what is there

This patient support community is for discussions relating to day-to-day issues and topics. Any topic can be discussed in this community.

hobbys what is there

what are some good hobbys to do at home. i am going stair crazy sitting here. its causeing so many fights with my bf and i its not funny. he has this life where he is free to do as he pleases i dont think its fair i sit with the kids all day and night and he gets to go and play lol. i am looking for something to do. i would love to work but i cant because my son wont take bottles so hes stuck to me 24/7 i have tried to find a job for a few hours but no one will hire me for just a few hours. i dont no what to do. i am so lonley bored and going outta my mind.. give me advice.. what can i do?
ksanden
I like to paint.  I am teaching myself to paint with acrylics.  It is very relaxing too :)  Making "happy" little trees...LOL!
If I had any spare time and had to stay in or around the house I would love patining, writing, photography, archery, building furniture, painting the house, reading, singing...creating a series of Hallmark type cards - but none of that really works with two small children or rather an infant around. You will not be able to focus on anything. If it were something to just get out of the house for a short while, I would volunteer somewhere, maybe at the local library or church etc. or heck, maybe I would take my kids along in a stroller stacked up with the local newspaper or flyers and deliver those while getting some fresh air and exercise....It`s hard to say what`s available in your area and what you like but it sounds like you need to get out of the house more often.
i was thinking abouta paper route but then its winter here and very cold so that is not a possible.
painting i used to do and i do write poems but i find it so hard to do with the kids because half the time i can not even think strait with all of them..
We do crafts, the two older boys and I. We make things for people around us throughout the year and at Christmas. I also love to cook and bake. I also have a little man attached to me throughout the day and night, so getting out is in short bursts.

I like cross-stitching, it can be therapeutic to an extent. I also take college courses online through the local college. I have a passion for learning and the schedule is pretty flexible. I can take a test at 3am, write a paper during naptime, etc.
Yep I am with you on the online college.  I do it too, and I love it cause I can do it whenever I have free time.
ooh,  Ksanden  I think you need to get out with other moms.

When my kids were little,  that was the BEST thing to do!  Playgroups are great - you get about 5 or 6 moms together with their kids,  and pick a day of the week and go to each other's houses for brunch or lunch.  

Do you have a children's museum,  or does your hospital have a new mom's group,  or a church near you have one?

The women I met in playgroups,  and through moms groups,  are the most special friends I've ever had,  and still have after 18 years of mothering.

Best wishes.  
rock rose we dont have any museums here where i live. and i would love to do play dates i just dont no how to talk with other moms in person im not really the type just to starts convos with someone unless its just someone sitting next to u at the clinic i dont really go to church i used to but since moving i just havent gonei do believe theres a god but i just dont go to church. also alot of moms i have seen at my daughters school is much older than me and one lady glared at me for no reason i just feel so uncomfortable. there is a breast feeding meeting once a month i have tired to attend that but everytime it comes around one of the kids are sick so i cant go.  its been really hard i only have one friend that i talk to and i never do anything i dont have a socal life and im just so depressed right now. everything is getting to me. theres more to that story on my bf that i just founded out last night and was lied to about it. he also touched her below. everything is adding up. one by one. i told him im done talking about all of that stuff and im tired. today has not been a good day we fought for most part of the day. everything is falling apart on me. im so stressed out. this month i missed 2 pills and i have butterflys in my tummy and still have not recieved my period which stresses me even more. i cant have anymore babys. so if i am pregnant im going to have to get an abortion and i am so against that. i just cant take it. this christmas is just so wonderful let me tell u im not even sure if i will even have my bf for it.. the only thing right now that i am thankful for is my to wonderful kids.
ksanden
You don't need the stress he brings you. I had a feeling there was more to the story that he wasn't sharing. I think you need to talk to your doctor about how you have been feeling lately, perhaps he/she can refer you to a counselor or discuss the possibility of this being related to PPD.

It is not worth being with someone if they make you feel this way or make you feel socially isolated. It is tantamount to psychological abuse to keep someone at home and refuse to allow them time to themselves. I understand having a baby attached 24/7 and i understand how difficult it is to want to load all the kids up to go out and about. I am not a big participant in play dates, I tend to find the moms are not the type of mom I am and we have little in common. I live a highly religious area and am not cut from the same cloth as they are. But I do make the effort to drive the hour or more each way to take my kids to the Children's Museum or an hour the other way to see their grandparents or family friends. We spend a lot of time doing things together. Even getting outside to play can be a great release. Up here we spend a lot of time indoors during this time of year as it rains almost non-stop for 6 mos I swear. But we take advantage of those breaks in the clouds and get out and run. We also take trips to the library, many also have storytime during the day for the younger set.

Even in the smallest of towns there are plenty of places to go. But if you are severely lacking in the motivation to do so, you may be suffering from PPD and should have a serious conversation with your doctor ASAP.
i do cross stitching, i read, sad to say but shopping!!!!!!!
good luck and i hope things get better for you and ur bf!!!!!
can u have ppd after 6 months?
yes i did and i had to be put on a med after my last child was born.
my dr told me that it can show up to 12 months after ur child is born.
I agree, reading is a wonderful hobby. I have been reading the Dr. Scarpetta thriller series by Patricia Cornwell. I finished all of the Prey novels by Sandford, the Odd Thomas ones by Koontz and the Eve Duncan ones by Iris Johansen. All within the last year ; ) Excellent suggestion rebbecca!

Yes, ksanden, PPD can really kick in late and it can last a long long time. Starting a hobby is a good idea but I second Andi`s words. It really sounds like you need help overall. Your BF`s history may be one thing but in addition to that it sounds like you are being isolated on purpose which is a form of abuse. Do you have a car at all to get anywhere independently? Do you have family in the area? Somehow you need to build up a network outside of home, even if your first step is to talk to your family physician or pediatrician. Reach out! You have your friends here online but that will not be enough. Heck, one day I got a hug from a sales lady in a department store and it helped!
I love the Kay Scarpetta books!!!  Koontz is also an excellent writer.  Have you ever read "When the Wind Blows" and "The Lake House"  by John Patterson?  Great series.  
Well, I'm off to work for the first time since I was 7 month pregnant!!!  I'm going to miss WillowMae  :(
Have a great day
Ksanden, the reason you are here is your wondering what else can you look forward to than an otherwise routine existence? A hobby is a regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation, typically done during one's leisure time and can help you in your situation. Engaging in a hobby can lead to acquiring substantial skill, knowledge and experience. However, personal fulfillment is the aim. When starting out in any hobby, keep in mind that your first choices in the equipment that you purchase is going to leave the biggest first impression of the hobby.
If you need some suggestions on finding a hobby visit this site:
http://www.NewHobbyIdea.com
its been 4 yrs since i posted this and reading this brought up memorys. i wanna thank everyone for there posts. i finilly reached out and found help in headstart, meeting with other moms and other kids have really helped me. july 9th 2010 i married my husband, things have been alot better i was struggling with depression and i made myself feel so unwanted which cause so many problems. and not having friends or anything makes a person feel even lower. but wanted to post a comment that as of now i am okay...
Glad that you're okay,  ksanden.  I remembered posting to you,  and hoped you were doing okay.  

Prayers that you can continue to move on - and once your child starts school you will have more opportunities to meet other moms and be connected.

Best wishes.
he started preschool this year, i have been volenteering for headstart thats been helping me just being able to do something again feels great.