Women's Social Community
painful penetration and arousal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to day-to-day issues and topics. Any topic can be discussed in this community.

painful penetration and arousal

I have been experiencing painful penetration and intercourse for about 2-3 years. I am 25 and have had sex without pain when I was younger, I was also on birth control when I had "painless sex". None of the doctors have been able to help me, we have discussed endometriosis and have played with different types of birth control but nothing improved the pain. Most recently a doctor told me that birth control can cause vaginal dryness that causes painful intercourse, I decided to stop taking the birth control 7 months ago. Unfortunately, I am still having pain during penetration even without the birth control and quite honestly I don't want to even try to have sex because I know it will hurt. I still become aroused and I experience stabbing pain upon arousal that seems to be coming from the outer side of my vaginal area (almost right where my leg starts). I am producing natural lubrication and don't feel I am dry but I still have pain upon penetration. We have used store bought personal lubrication and the pain still occurs. The pain is coming from the vaginal opening, it's not a deep vaginal pain. It sometimes feels like the lower outside of my vaginal opening is raw during intercourse but lately the painful penetration at the beginning has made having sex something I avoid. it feels like the muscles wont relax at the vaginal entry and it stings and will burn if I try to keep going despite the pain. What is my problem?

Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain and make sex a possibility? I am without medical coverage so checking with a doctor is not financially possible.
I'm not a doctor but it sounds like a physical thing, so unfortunately you would need to see someone.  A specialist really.  I mean if lubrication and stopping and starting the pill aren't working, there are so many nerves in our vaginal region that one issue with them makes it feel like a huge problem.

I would suggest latex allergy too, but you say the pain starts when you get aroused, so it could have something to do with blood flow in that region (which increases with arousal).  If it is really impossible to see someone for you, have you tried googling your symptoms?  I don't recommend that over seeing a doctor, but it might be somewhere to start.
I am not a doctor either but I was had the same problem for many years. Mine started after I gave birth to my daughter. I went to more then one doctor and was told that it was because I had built up scar tissue from my vaginal birth. In July I had a hysterectomy and for the first time in 15 years, I was pain free. My surgeon explained that even though I had more outward symptoms, it was due to my uterous was turned backwards. I know it cost to go to a doctor but I think it would be worth the money.
We are tying to get me covered by his insurance right now.. We are not married yet but are trying to get a domestic partnership in the meantime so I can see a doctor. I do have a latex allergy, it keeps us from using condoms and now with going off the pill birth control has been sort of hard. I have tried natural family planning for the last 7 months with hopes that stopping the pill and not using latex would improve my symptoms.. Unfortunately, things are changing. I thought the natural route would solve it all.

I have never been told my uterus was in a strange position... What kind of doctor should I see? My last few visits to the gynecologist weren't helpful and they seemed unconcerned about my pain. The just acted like it was not big deal and were only interested in doing a pap smear and talking about birth control.. It's kind of frustrating.
I have the exact same problem.  It hurts really bad during intercourse with the same stinging sensation.  Its to the point where have to place a cool cloth down there after I have to told my husband to stop. I try to avoid sex.  I have been treated for yeast infections, and bacterial infections and the treatments help for a little while.  Get an over the counter yeast infection treatment and see if it helps.
I done a lot of research and it really sounds like an infection of some sort.
I experience pain during intercourse. Have been married for about an year and a half. I have been using lubricants for a while now... it helps a bit.... but I get this intense pain on insertion and he has to remove and insert his penis multiple times as I cannot bear the pain in one go. After about inserting three times after short breaks, the pain reduces considerably. Please advice... is anything serious... what do I need to do to reduce the pain ?
if it is an infection, your partner can also contract the infection and continue giving it back to you even though you've been treated.

Also, I have been experiencing a burning, pulling, painful sensation while becoming aroused. . .once there's insertion and a few in-and-outs, it usually goes away. i don't have a problem with dryness, but it's become hard to tell if i'm lubricated or not since it hurts and that's all i can usually focus on. it's made it so that i went from wanting to have sex 2-3 times a week to maybe once or twice a month. not really fair for myself or my partner!
I've been to see a obgyn about this, i have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow, but i'm not sure that will show much.

as a footnote, If you don't have health insurance, and don't make a whole lot of money, you can visit any providence St. whatever hospital, see a Dr, and then get financial assistance. I don't make much as a cook, had a UTI, went to the emergency room, got on their financial assistance program and now am covered 100% for six months! I've been to the emergency room three times, have seen the obgyn twice, have had a thyroid test done, have even gotten free antibiotics! check it out. seriously. these people are great!