abdominal adhesions User Group
Can adhesions get worse over time?
About This Group:

They are bands of scar tissue that form internally within the abdomen.They can attach themselves to anything and they cause very severe pain.They can also cause whatever organ they are attached to to malfunction and can cause bowel obstructions.

Founded by cupcakes888 on October 2, 2009
47 members

Can adhesions get worse over time?

I had a hysterectomy and gall bladder surgery several years ago (about 20-25 yrs). Over the years I've had pain off and on in my abdomen. Usually it would last only a day or two. I've had MRI's, Cat scans, xrays, colonostomy, the Drs's couldn't find any reason for the pain so thought maybe it was just gas. One Dr suggested adhesions but said nothing could be done. Lately the pain has gotten much worse and is lasting for days. I'm seeing a new Dr. Should I mention the idea of adhesions? Can they get worse over time? Sometimes it hurts just to stand up after sitting for awhile. It's hard to straighten up. And I notice it hurts more after doing bending or twisting - as in gardening.
Is there any help for this? I also wake up with pain in that area. After I go to the bathroom, it hurts and feels like labor pains. My abdomen feels and looks like I'm nine months pregnant. The new Dr I'm going to suggested doing more tests too rule out a bowel problem but I'm thinking more and more about adhesions but I wonder if they can grow or get worse after all these years?
I'm not a doctor but I absolutely believe they can get worse over time.  I've had to restrict my diet quite a bit over the years because I suffer from bowel obstructions with my adhesions.  

Adhesions are tricky too.  You can have surgery to relieve immediate discomfort but then that causes more adhesions.  Talk to your doctor to discuss more options.  Good luck!
What diet changes did you make to help with adhesion?  

I have now as of this past month, had 4 adhesion surgeries,but all times my bowels were kinked or tugging!! This past month dr had to remove 4" of my bowel it was so pulled that bms were backed up, causing a major problem and a danger!!!

I would love have any suggestions.  I am so thankful to have a dr that believes in adhesion causing major problems and major pain .
FabTortilla joined this group
Welcome them!
May 10
carolinehamilton uploaded new photos
Jan 18
carolinehamilton joined this group
Welcome them!
Jan 18