563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
Fatigue with GM
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
258 members

Fatigue with GM

Hi ladies,

I was just wondering how/if any of you have periodic fatigue that you attribute to Granulomatous Mastitis? It seems that I have bouts of fatigue with barely any energy and motivation. In the past, I think it would happen for about a week at a time, then get better. Also, I think I've had fevers in the same fashion, but not at the same time as the fatigue.

Thanks!

Kristie
Hi Kristie:

Count me in, definitely have never felt well after I became ill with GM.  I try to build up my strength and endurance, but something just is not the same as it was pre-illness.  I do my best to move on and just be thankful I am as well as I am...but truth be told, my entire system has been affected by this disease, certainly with fatigue unrelated to my expenditure of energy and with myalgia, unrelated to activity as well.

Many women in this group have made the same observations over the years.

Best, Jo
Fatigue was definitely an issue for me too.  And to be honest, it's never gotten better. To this day, I still suffer from fatigue, muscle/joint pain, etc.  Like JoJo said, nothing is the same as it was pre-illness and like her, my entire system was affected.

Hi ladies, thanks for the feedback. It's tough knowing what symptoms are attributed to our illness, so it helps talking to other people. This has been the most helpful forum and also helped me to find a doctor. I hope you all continue to feel better and your bodies heal!

Kristie
Hi Kristie:

Yes I have found it helpful to share my symptoms as well.  

Many of us have had arthritis, inflammatory type systems of our joints as well.  Others have had rashes...fevers is not an uncommon symptom.  Fatigue and muscle pain and weakeness, as you were just querying.

I hope you are feeling better too and are able to beat GM without any lasting effects.

Jo
I def have the fatigue especially when my disease is active and I have a new abcess (abscess) or the days following one burst. I am always a little tired but have had a few days where i cant even get out of bed from it. Muscle pain is common for me too. i try to force myself to do some light exercise to get me going in the am but it doesnt always happen. I never have had fevers though but we all seem to have some slightly different experences with this disease . Hope you feel better.

Nicole
Have any of you also experience excessive sweating or 'hot flash' type symptoms? I can do light activity inside or go outside in 80 degree weather and within minutes be dripping with sweat. I've noticed this since I've been diagnosed this summer and I can't help wonder if this is due to the GM. I've always perspired easily and been 'hot blooded,' but now it's embarrassing & ridiculous! I freeze my poor husband and daughter in the house with the AC on!

I hate that any of you ladies have to suffer with this disease, but at least we have each other to talk to since so little is still known about it!

Kristie
Hi Kirstie -

I was going through menopause when my GM struck, so yes I have had hot flashes, and still do, but very difficult to figure out from what.  I often feel feverish when having a bad episode of GM.  Are you on painkillers?  In my case, I think sometimes the painkillers I take can cause me to sweat or have hot flashes.

I have disc degneration, arthritis in my spine and it generally flares when my breast does.  I also get iritis (inflammation of the iris) - and it will often also flare at the same time.

Like Red mentioned, during the worst of it, when I originally was diagnosed, I would be unable to get out of bed, had severe pain down my entire left side, radiating to my neck and face and through my back, behind my breast, down my arm to my hand.  I was extremely ill with nausea and felt toxic.

I get extremely tired just before an abcess (abscess) will appear and during that process of open abcesses...I guess the autoimmune process going on takes up all of my energy.  

I am four years in to the illness and while I now know how to manage things pretty well, I am still not 100% and do have the lingering fatigue and muscle pain, along with periodic flares of inflammation which are often systemic.

Jo
JustineIGM commented on Granulomatous Mastiti...
Dec 12
ayiyi joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 08
Annaamiri joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 04