563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
Getting Tested on Second Breast
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
242 members

Getting Tested on Second Breast

I've been suffering with this illness since about two-and-a-half years ago.  Pretty much same story as everyone else, initial blank face on family doctor, surgeon who wanted to remove half of my breast.  Bunches of antibiotics, hospitalization for IV antibiotics and all that.  Six months later, finally a name to the disease.  The breast surgeon I finally ended up with, knew exactly what I had the moment she saw my breast and did core needle biopsy same day, to confirm diagnosis.  Good so far, right?  But, as we all know this illness is odd and treatment is not an ABC, sort of a situation.  Therefore, the doctor was quite excellent in knowledge, in as far as GM is, but pretty much believed in a wait and see approach, with intervention only to remove fluid build-up in abscesses as they happened.  Well, back then, I also believed in a wait and see approach and as my left breast, the initial one affected, got better with time, I came to believe that I would be done with this illness before a year and a half had gone by.  But, of course, at about a year and two months into it, and with the left breast completely healed, I developed problems with the right breast.  I have tried intermittent steroids, minimally in amount and time since the breast surgeon still doesn't want to prescribe anything, even pain killers.  I stopped seem the breast surgeon about a year ago.  

In fact, when the right breast got the first abscess, I thought about going back to see that breast surgeon to get the right breast tested to confirm GM, but in time gave up on the thought since the symptoms and characteristics of the abscesses seemed similar to what the other breast had experienced.  Yet, now and then when things get very bad, i.e. a huge abscess, I still wonder if it is necessary or even warranted to get the second breast tested.  There is of course the matter or the testing exacerbating the condition and the financial difficulties of doctor's visits and testing fees.  What do you think?  Any input would be greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.
1 Comment
So Sorry your going through this I am onto my 9th year of this condition I eventually had my milk ducts removed from my left breast and this has been a great success apart from I have lost the sensation in my nipple but anything is better than the pain pus and continuous hospital appointments. I am awaiting surgery on the right breast and I am hoping for the same results.  Good Luck  
Dinaxxxx joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 03
c_mo joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 28
Lopine808 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 23