563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
Is this joint pain related to IMG
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
254 members

Is this joint pain related to IMG

Hi ladies
I wondered if anyone could answer this for me - I have had 2 bouts of IGM in 4 years and am currently in remission.  I had joint pain which I thought was my psoriatic arthritis but the consultant said it does not seem like it. I wondered if anyone knew you could get joint pain associated with IGM even if you are in remission.
Your help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Julie
Hi there -

yes, I have joint pain since IGM - in spine, hip, neck, etc.

others have reported it too

also rashes

I had granuloma annulare (common skin rash), just before I had my IGM

glad to hear you are in remission, I guess I am too as I am not having active abscesses, but not feeling well at all

JoJo
Hi Jojo
Thanks for your reply.  I think I will mention it when I see my consultant about my psoriatic arthritis but not sure if they will know much about it.

Julie
My knees are sore all the time.
I also have joint pain all the time.  It moves about between different joints.  Mostly my hips and hands.  My doctor gave me Arthotec which really helps but it can be hard on your tummy,  
i find that the doctors don't really know what to say about the joint pain in conjuntion with IGM.  I assumed it was part of the IGM since I didn't have it until this diagnosis.  They mostly treat it as something separate and don't say much about it.  Feel a little uneasy about them not saying anything about it.  Especially since it impacts my work,  
Girls, out of curiosity did you take Cipro, a type of antibiotic?
I took CIPRO before my doctors knew about the GM.  They gave it to me just in case this infection was something bacterial (common in normal mastitis cases.)  But because GM is sterile, no bacteria grows, antibiotics will not help.. Unless you do in fact have a bacterial infection
Hi ,
Yes I also took Cipro.

It seems to take a lot of time to actually diagnose IGM and seems doctors prescribe antibiotics along the way to eliminate the possibility of various infections.  Just part of the lovely IGM experience.  Cheers.
YES!!  Really unpleasant, ongoing joint pain, and YES, I'm always surprised that doctors don't really seem interested in this symptom.  I suppose many people get joint pain, but hearing your story and others, makes me think the joint pain is related to the breast inflammation.  Thanks.
Yes I had joint pain, hands, knees and left hips (I have the left side affected and is also my left breast the one with GM)..joint pain is not all the time in my case, it is only when I am about to have an abscess.
raybirds joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 16
samaz joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 13
MoViris joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 10