563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
Mastectomy and Insurance
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
229 members

Mastectomy and Insurance

Has anyone who has chosen the route of mastectomy for GM had any issues with insurance covering this procedure?  I was waiting for a call for a surgery date and instead got a call that because it isn't cancer insurance is fighting covering it.  The Doc has sent a letter but said it could be 4-6 weeks before we know anything.
1 Comment
That is soooo rediculous!  I was in the process of planning/scheduling my mastectomy when I suddenly recovered.  My insurance did approve it with no problems, real quick, which I was surprised about as I have United and they really stink at times!  Just fight it, mastectomy is a medically documented treatment.  And know this, if the insurance approves the procedure they HAVE TO cover the reconstruction and anything that goes along with it, such as mastecomy bras.  Keep up hope and don't get pushed around by them.
Heathercmck joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 02
ummtalha joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 26
87CareBear joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 19