One year after dbl. mastectomy
I wanted to let all of you know that after having IGM for a year I got a double mastectomy one year ago on Sunday.  I have since had tissue expanders and silicon implants placed.  This year to commemorate my 1 year "anniversary" I went to a studio cycling class, did pilates and then went stand up paddleboarding.
What a difference a year makes!
I decided very quickly that all the drugs and other treatments were not working for me, so I got the double mastectomy as soon as possible.
I wish you all the best.
I was also diagnosed with IGM. And I am really considering doing this as well. ..it took almost 5 months to get a diagnosis and only because I happened to come across this and tell my surgeon about it..well it's been a year that I had it on my right breast and now I have it on my left...and Its extremely painfull..do you know if insurance helps pay the mastectomy and reconstruction
My mastectomy and all breast reconstruction was covered by my insurance.  If you live in the US it is a federal law, you can look it up under
"1998 Federal Breast Reconstruction Law".
Also before I had the reconstruction (but post mastectomy) my breast prostheses were covered by insurance as well, including 6 bras to hold the prostheses.
The 3 separate general anesthesia surgeries in one year was not easy.  But for me it was the right thing to do and I am very happy now - pain free and off all the drugs.
Thank you!  Yea now I just got to find a good plastic surgeon to do it...I'm fixing to have my 4 th I&D and they put me under anesthesia and I'm ready for this to be over
Did your insurance cover the procedure?  Only one of my breast is infected right now, did you have GM in both breast?
I am so thinking about double mastectomy..I have GM on the other breast now...and I want my life back!
Thanks for sharing!
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Sush560 commented on Sush560's status
Feb 05
Jen730 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jan 08
Kashes joined this group
Welcome them!
Jan 07