563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
The Aftermath
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
290 members

The Aftermath

Ok new question, and don't know if I'll get any responses but I want to know... For those women who have seen results and are in the free and clear, does that red/purple ugly skin ever go away?!  Will my breast eventually look somewhat normal when its all said and done?  
Good question. I'm also wondering the same.
Good question! I will ask this to my Doctors..hope they go away!
Yes the purple scars fade, in time. I suffered for 14 months (August 2011 to October 2012). My purple scars are a few shades darker pink than my skin. Of the 4, one is totally gone. I even had a scar that my breast looked like it was dented in...it is almost fully pushed out. I have the occassional healing pain...but it is worth it for how I am looking these days. I think my diet is also promoting the healing...I am eating lots of raspberries and blackberries.
Thank you for responding and giving us hope!  =)
You're welcome. Even my doctor was surprised with my healing.
Quick question, how did you deal with your abscesses?  Did you have fine needle aspirations, drain on their own or incision/drainage?
In the beginning incision/pack/drain. Over time, I did not need to have an incision, my skin would just break open or I would take a pin to it to drain it and I would not pack. I would keep on draining it by push the goop out...this seemed to help. I am not recommending take a pin to it, but it is what I did on my own and my doctor did not advise me to do this. Sometimes the pain was so bad, and the skin was thin, and I would pin myself. This would relieve my pressure/pain. I wanted to control something...a pin hole vs. torn skin was preferrence.
ohhhh my, sounds painful!  I hear that some people will squeeze it out.  Do you think that by draining them on their own without the help of a surgeon helped minimize you getting less of them?  Like some say that if the doctor cuts into your skin, it's irritating the infection and causing us to get more so it's better to let them open on their own. In your experience would you agree that you got less abscesses when you drained your own?
Seemed when i drained on my own, the abcesses would become smaller, quicker and heal faster. I would only do it when the skin was thin and the pin prick woud not need to go in deep...and it would drain. My thought ws a few seconds of pain vs. the longer amound pain was worth it.
I did the same thing with a sterilized pin.  Best thing I ever did.  It's all about timing.  I couldn't just walk into the doctor's office whenever I pleased.  I was very proud of myself afterward.
Lumpy83 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 26
LiliaMC commented on Natastron's status
Jun 20
LiliaMC is devastated by last night... Comment
May 25