563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
UPDATE: (For future reference) Breastfeeding with GM
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
255 members

I just wanted to write in an update for members of this group who are pregnant or will get pregnant and are struggling with GM. So I gave birth to a baby girl on April 27th, naturally, without a single complication :) I was worried because of the three types of antibiotics I had to take in the beginning of this diagnosis (about November/December time frame).  I was able to breastfeed for nine days until yesterday. It did make three healed abscesses come open, but not too painful. I thought maybe it would help all the pus come out once and for all. Then yesterday I had an abscess come open near my areola. Now it is impossible to breastfeed on that side or pump because very little milk is being produced and because blood comes out. I believe it is possible to breastfeed with GM, as long as there aren't any open abscesses near the areola.I spoke to a lactation consultant, and now I have to decide whether I should continue to breastfeed on the left, healthy breast. She also said that I can begin treatment of prednisone and breastfeed. (Most likely won't take steroids while breastfeeding). I've dealt with this without any meds until now, so I may do so for a while longer. I hope this information can help somebody in the future.
Thanks for letting us know, I definitely plan a pregnancy in the near future and I was constantly worried about this.  Are you able to produce enough on the breast that you can breastfeed from?
Congrats for the new baby girl! and happy that you are able to breastfeed, I remember other posts saying that they were able to breastfeed only with the healthy breast.
Take care!
I first got the signs of GM when I was in my 8 month of pregnancy and only got diagnosed when my son was 5 months old.  I have breastfeed my son the entire time.  There were times where it was too painful, or an abscess was on the areola, or the surgical drainage affected the ability to breastfeed, when that happened I would just hand pump in the shower to release the milk, and breastfeed normally out of the unaffected breast.   Although the milk production is lower in the breast that I have GM I was still able to produce enough milk and my son is exclusively breast feed.
87girl joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 09
raybirds joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 16
samaz joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 13