563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
What do you do about work?
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
242 members

What do you do about work?

Hello everyone,

Firstly thank you to whoever set up this site - it is just what is required for what is an infuriating and stubborn disease.  After going through the cancer scare which many of you seem to have, I was diagnosed with GLM in December 2012.  After getting past the initial infection/inflammation and trying 3 different types of antibiotics, I started feeling like my old self in the new year and back to work.  I formed 3 small abcesses at the end of January which were felt too small to be drained and I just felt generally unwell - feverish, tired, dizzy when I walked.  The abcess (abscess) has now burst and is painful while also very gross with regular dressing changes (apologies if TMI).

I am in Sydney, Australia and due now to see a Breast Physician who I'm hoping will provide a bit more care.  Dr's/Professors advice of you just have to wait it out, take pain killers and see what happens is very frustrating.

I guess I have 2 main areas of concern that only other sufferers can really comment on:

1.  What did you do about work?
2.  If you went on steroids, how bad is the weight gain?

I've been off work for 2 weeks now with these abscesses and feel so guilty, especially since I just started the job.  I don't want to muck the new employer around and just not sure what to do.  I'm also already 30kgs overweight and if they put me on steroids I am concerned about further weight gain and whole lot of other health risks that come with that.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

Sam
Tags: granulomatous, granulomatous lobular mastitis, Work
Lopine808 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 30
Dinaxxxx joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 03
c_mo joined this group
Welcome them!
Jun 28