563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
What do you do about work?
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
242 members
Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What do you do about work?

Hello everyone,

Firstly thank you to whoever set up this site - it is just what is required for what is an infuriating and stubborn disease.  After going through the cancer scare which many of you seem to have, I was diagnosed with GLM in December 2012.  After getting past the initial infection/inflammation and trying 3 different types of antibiotics, I started feeling like my old self in the new year and back to work.  I formed 3 small abcesses at the end of January which were felt too small to be drained and I just felt generally unwell - feverish, tired, dizzy when I walked.  The abcess (abscess) has now burst and is painful while also very gross with regular dressing changes (apologies if TMI).

I am in Sydney, Australia and due now to see a Breast Physician who I'm hoping will provide a bit more care.  Dr's/Professors advice of you just have to wait it out, take pain killers and see what happens is very frustrating.

I guess I have 2 main areas of concern that only other sufferers can really comment on:

1.  What did you do about work?
2.  If you went on steroids, how bad is the weight gain?

I've been off work for 2 weeks now with these abscesses and feel so guilty, especially since I just started the job.  I don't want to muck the new employer around and just not sure what to do.  I'm also already 30kgs overweight and if they put me on steroids I am concerned about further weight gain and whole lot of other health risks that come with that.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

Sam
Tags: granulomatous, granulomatous lobular mastitis, Work
Recent Activity
Blank
Lopine808 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 30
Blank
Dinaxxxx joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 03
Blank