563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
Wound care
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
229 members

Wound care

New here. Have had (I?)GM for 4 months now and am just figuring out what it is. So glad to have found this place. My biggest question right now is for those of you who have had your abscesses rupture on their own. I am struggling with wound care right now with a dermatologist who thinks keeping it moist is best and a wound care doc who wants me to use maltodextrin powder to encourage it to dry out. Neither one of them knows a thing about GM. What has worked best for you for wound care? I am getting used to the flare-ups, but the wound care is kicking my butt. Thanks for any help you have.
Laura
I tried a variety of things to get the wound to heal.  Most of the time, after the initial heavy draining (2-3 days), I would apply triple antibiotic ointment and cover the area with gauze attached with "light" tape.  I only used a loose bra to either hold the gauze in place, or sometimes for going out.  Also, whenever possible, I would suggest going topless at home to allow air to circulate and help the wound dry.  

In my opinion, keeping the wound too moist is not a good idea and may in fact delay healing in the case of GM.  I never tried putting something on it to "dry" it.  I don't think I like the idea of maltodextrin in an open wound....
Hi! I leave them open, clean them with soap and water and go topless (when I can), and also used Aloe Vera  (from plant) to help it heal.
They were usually healed within the same week.
Doctors told me that no antibiotic cream should be used as it is not infection, and the skin also get used to topics antibiotics.
Take care!
Heathercmck joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 02
ummtalha joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 26
87CareBear joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 19