563?1263745088
granulomatous mastitis User Group
update
About This Group:

This group is intended as a meeting place and forum for those who have been diagnosed with granulomatous mastitis ('GM') or idiopathic granulomatous mastitis ('IGM'). I think one of the greatest challenges with this disease is its rarity and the associated lack of understanding in the medical community. But we can share here - and hopefully make the healing process a little easier for each other.

Founded by JoJo45 on January 17, 2010
254 members

update

Just wanted to update on my experience. I went tuesday for another draining the second in 8 days and 3rd in just over a month. This draining didn't work as well as the fluid was thick and my breast specialist didnt get much out. I find draining extremely painful but usually helpful. I saw the rhuematologist yesterday and we are doings a combo of prednisone and methotrexate for three months then transition to methotrexate alone is the tentative plan. I'm not thrilled about the possibility of weight gain since I have lost 17 lbs since January but am overall hopeful that this will calm the disease down some. I'm in near constant pain lately so ill try what I can to get better. Thanks as always for the support ladies. How are you ladies doing currently?
I think it is brave of you to undertake the therapy because as we all know the drugs are powerful.  But people do have good results with them, and the side effects vary by person, so I will send good thoughts your way that you have an easy go of it.

I wish you well on your decision.

There is a book 'Coping with Prednisone'  which I purchased and found somewhat helpful in the tips for diet, etc.  I am sure there are similar publications.

Coping with Prednisone (and Other Cortisone-Related Medicines): It May Work Miracles, but How Do You Handle the Side Effects? [Paperback]
Eugenia Zukerman  
Eugenia Zukerman (Author)

It is listed on Amazon, with a number of reviews.

Best wishes, Jo
Good luck! I did a somewhat similar plan a couple years ago; I did a high dose Predisone and weaned to methotrexate. I also was very concerned of the side affects; I prior to this had naturally lost around 50-60lbs, also the insomnia and stomach issues were a factor for me. I'd talk to the doctor prescribing; they generally have a wealth of knowledge for cures to some of the sideaffects that none of us want!!!

Unfortunately I'll admit, I gained back some of the weight while on the steroids, but it was easy to loose once I was off of them again... mostly water retention!
Thank you both. Jo I got the book today thanks for the recommendation.
raybirds joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 16
samaz joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 13
MoViris joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 10