non-twelve step recovery User Group
Why isn't there more activity on this group?
About This Group:

This group is for people recovering from addiction or dependency who are seeking an alternative approach to AA / NA groups. Here I hope to discuss cognitive behavioral therapy, Smart recovery principles, exercise and diet.

Founded by lizmcc27 on October 1, 2009
39 members

Is it simply because when you are not dependent on a particular group, program or method, that you are just busy living your life and don't think to post or discuss this topic? I am coming up on 9 months since I quit being a drunk, after 20 years of drinking like it was my job. While I am not totally against AA, it just isn't really my cup of tea and I have done things in my own way. I am friends with people in 'the program' but I am not aware of many people who are like me and have basically just quit on their own. I say basically because I have had amazing support from members of my family and I have a great counselor that I say each week for CBT, but she does not specialize in addiction. So I was curious out of all of the people on medhelp why isn't there more being said about non-twelve step recovery? Lots of love to you all trying to better yourselves, whatever you method is, or lack of a method as the case may be! :-D
For me, constantly complaining and focusing on my addiction on these message boards makes it SO MUCH HARDER.  Also, when people write about how hard it still is when they are days and weeks ahead of me, it is really discouraging. That is why I can't get into meetings either.  Drug addiction has defined me for most of my life.  I don't want to give it anymore of my attention. However, I do need to figure out a support system that works for me so I can stop relasping...
A few months ago I started to get back into yoga, and then I did a 28 day meditation series which I've been continuing to do most days. In the same amount of time I've thrown myself into therapy with my new counselor at my old college where I can see her on a sliding scale fee. I have sought out resources online, read books and magazines, put forth tremendous effort to weed out the negative situations and negative people in my life, and to surround myself with what makes me happy. Today is 2.5 years for me since I last drank and it has been infinitely harder than I could have expected. But it is so worth it. I am finally with someone who has been sober almost as long as me and we have very similar backgrounds with the same addiction, alcoholism. He did the AA thing because he was court ordered, and it actually worked out for him. But he's a different kind of person, he really wanted to turn his life around and not be like his family. I still work on my identity to some extent, but I like to think there are other things that define me now. Alcohol is part of me thought, always has been, always will be, especially considering my dad still drinks.
The evolution of understanding addi... Blank
Sep 07 by vinmat6652
Faythinme joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 11
suzannez222 commented on day 10 off Methodone ...
Apr 18