non-twelve step recovery User Group
addictive personality
About This Group:

This group is for people recovering from addiction or dependency who are seeking an alternative approach to AA / NA groups. Here I hope to discuss cognitive behavioral therapy, Smart recovery principles, exercise and diet.

Founded by lizmcc27 on October 1, 2009
39 members

addictive personality

Is there such a thing? If so, what's the remedy? Since I was in my teens it seems like I have been addicted to something; cigarettes, pot, meth, alcohol, coke, x......luckily, I have quit all of these (with the exception of, I drank and smoked cigarettes for the 1st time in a year 4 days ago, haven't since then though) Anyway, it seems my new addiction is food. Not so much just eating it, I obsess about my weight. I am very overweight, in my opinion, and it consumes my thoughts, just like alcohol use to. It sounds crazy, but how can I quit this cold turkey? I cant imagine trying to change the way I think about this. If I were to finally be at my goal weight, then what am I going to move on to? Will I live the rest of my life addicted to something?
yeah, i think there is such a thing but i also think we can controll this type of personality of ours. I found that the best way is learning the skills to control our anxiety, this is the way for me. You say that you are obsessed with food and losing weight. Well, you know a funny and ironic thing about losing weight ? the way to lose it is not being obsessed ( cause you increase your cortisol levels and cortisol can kill any weight loss target cause it slows the metabolism ) and if you want to lose weight the best way is eating so that you don't slow your metabolism either. Don't lose hope everybody can lose weight, of course it can be done and you can do it making changes little by little...and thinking long term.
I agree, an addictive personality can even be genetic,a learned behavior or both. Cognitive behavioral therapy can really help to change the way you think and react to cravings, impulse behavior etc.  The Smart Recovery site is based on this type of therapy and has helped me out a lot.

One tool that helps me is 'stop thought'.  If you catch yourself obsessing about something just tell yourself to stop.  Don't debate with yourself, thinking about how much you want booze or how much it ***** that you can't have it.  I know it sounds too simple but it works for me.  I try to move on to something else, like reading, working or playing a video game... (not sure if it's your thing but you can't really eat and play at the same time!)  You could get a Wii fit, its fun and its exercise!

Just some thoughts... Liz
Oh by the way I have 7 days sober today!  Woo Hoo!
The evolution of understanding addi... Blank
Sep 07 by vinmat6652
Faythinme joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 11
suzannez222 commented on day 10 off Methodone ...
Apr 18