D Deficiency & primary and secondary hyperparathyroidism
Hi All, I"m wondering if anyone else was checked to see whether they had primary, as opposed to secondary, hyperparathyroidism on recheck. I've had some problems tolerating high doses of both D2 and D3 -- a possible explanation is that I'm so thin my body lacks fat storage space and the doses are simply too high. Another explanation is that I might have primary hyperparathyroidism caused by an adenoma or enlarged parathyroid gland. The doctor thinks it's the more common hyperparathyroidism secondary to d deficiency. But, I'm wondering if any of you have had this experience. Apparently, D supplementation is NOT indicated with primary hyperparathyroidism until after you've had surgery to remove the affected gland(s). Right now, I have 170,000 IUs on board but I'm supposed to slow down until the results come in.
I wish I could help, try to post your Q in this fourm:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73
you might find someone with similar experience.
thanks but that site is about thyroid disease not parathyroid disease. Typically parathyroid levels are elevated in vitamin D deficiency; however, that's secondary hyperparathyroidism and they treat people empirically for D deficiency (and presumed secondary hyperparathyroidism) as long as their calcium is within the normal range. In primary hyperparathyroidism Vitamin D and calcium are not indicated I guess until after surgery. I may take a holiday from D supplementation until my results come in -- I think I've taken enough D to hold off for a week. Phyllis
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
ChitChatNine is happy! Comment
Nov 17
ChitChatNine commented on Jade59's status
Oct 19
ChitChatNine commented on photo
Oct 18