582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
DOES VIT D CAUSE PAIN???
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
299 members

DOES VIT D CAUSE PAIN???

HI!  I was dx'd last summer(2010) w/ a vit d def., by my cardiologist. My level was 20. I had been exhausted for 2 yrs prior, & felt broken from the waist down. It felt like the muscles were being ripped off my hips, and my lower back was killing me & hips were on fire. Noone found the problem, until I went to the Cardio for tachycardia and palpitations.(Thank God I went to the cardio dr) anyway, I took the labwork to my new GP & he put me on 50k a wk for 8 wks, w/ follow up bloodwork to be done at 8 wks. After the 2 nd week, I was in excruciating pain, worse than when I started. Is that normal??? I also got very constipated. I was'nt sure if from lortab (for pain) or from the vuit d, but think that I had a small obstruction. It resolved itself, but I thought I was going to die. I went back to my gp, & he did not want to run another vit d test, so I stopped it b/c if noone is going to monitor it, what the heck is the point? Anyway, I decided to take 400 ius daily (started 3 months ago) started to finally feel a little better, but then got tired again, and pain came back, not terrible, but uncomfortable. Anyway, I started back on vit d. I got the liquid, 1k per drop. The 1st night, I did 2k, the 2nd night, 3k...by the 4th night & 5th night, I took 5k ius both nights. The pain became excruciating again. My hips & back & could barley walk. I heard on some sites this is normal, as it is the calcium going back into the bones, but my goodness, I can barley move & the lortab barely touches the pain. If anyone else experienced pain increase after being on vit d, please let me know. I don't know what to do, afraid if I don't take it, I will be exhausted, w/ weak muscles, but if I do take it, I will be in severe pain, & it takes months to go away. I have started this 10 months ago, I can't live on lortab. This is crazy. I am worried as to what is causing the vit d deficiency to start w/. My cardio said my para-thyroid was normal,I am worried about my kidneys being the problem. Also, I noticed I pee a lot on the vit d, and am very, very thirsty, which thirst & frequent urination go hand in hand. Thank you for reading this. I am worried about the pain, I also work, so this is getting to be a big problem, & I can't take the pain that I am getting after taking the vit d.
Yes. The recovery is as painful, if not worse. It dies get better, but takes 3-6 months. Sorry. The good news is that you will get better!
The way I figure, it took years to lose all the calcium and have d levels drop. And because it was so slow the pain wasn't too overwhelming until it reaches a really low point. As we replace d and our bodies repair over a relatively short period of time, it can feel excruciating. Sort of like gorging after a fast. Reversing and the repairing in 6 months what took many years to develop is jarring to the system. Also, because d is actually a hormone that affects every cell and every system in your body, you might feel pain or discomfort everywhere and anywhere in your body for a while. That said, I'm starting my 6th month and really feel the difference. Not 100% yet but well on the way !
Thank You for your response. I am wondering what types of symptoms you had prior to taking the vit d & if you were in pain before the vit d replacement as well as after vit d supplementation. My pain is in the hip & waist & lower back area. I have also developed curvature of the spine, and my posture is awful now. How much vit d were you given, & how much do you take now. Do you have any idea how long you were deficient? I think I was deficient at least 2 & 1/2 yrs before it was found. I have also noticed a sensitivity to sunlight-my eyes burn & can not take the sunlight at all & is it is so painful for my eyes. I am also experiencing a tremendous amount of hair loss & am wondering if you had that problem also, & did it get better when you took the vit d? Are you experiencing pain? did it at some point go away? I have been to my dr so many times, it is ridiculous. I was'nt told that the suplementation would make pain worse. Thanks so much for responding- it is a relief to know someone else can relate to what I am going thru!!!
I'm writing because I had some of your symptoms (see symptom thread) though of course we're all different. I had issues with walking and an MRI showed multiple problems in my lower back. I also had hair loss though not as much as you describe. (I have nodules on my thyroid though my labs are within normal range) My D levels were 20 and after 6-7 months my d levels went up to 41 and many of my symptoms resolved, including hair loss.On the way up to vitamin d levels of 41 I did experience pain and other symptoms which I believe were attributable to the vitamin d itself. However, once I got my dosage right AND my levels rose to over 30 now in the 40s I found I could tolerate vitamin d supplementation just fine. The problem I've had is that my doctors don't seem to know very much about vitamin d, just that I need to get my levels up.(Of course, I'm always going to have back problems and migraine -- the d can't resolve that though it might help).
Oh yes, I was in pain for years before I started d therapy! I think started being deficient and showing symptoms around 7-10 + years ago. I was in single digits at the lowest point, when it was discovered. You should check out the vitamin d deficiency symptoms thread.. My and many other peoples list of symptoms gives you a complete view of the range of symptoms that can occur. I can't remember putting it on my list, but yes, I lost a lot of hair at one point. I'm almost pain free these last 2 weeks... Not quite 100%, but after the past years and months it's heaven!
RitaGayle joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 28
Namooni 's d levels are down again Comment
Aug 13
reallybuzzed Just enjoying the day...hav... Comment
Aug 06