582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
Diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
303 members

Diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency

Hi all,

I am a healthy 28 year old male, living in NJ, USA. For the past three months, I had been feeling fatigued/sluggish and a  bit off. My main symptoms were brain fog(a spacey/hazy feeling with a difficulty in concentrating) and fatigue. I had been reeling from a long bout of antibiotic associated diarrhea/ibs which was slowly reducing (and has mostly resolved by now) only to be hit by this. When this ill feeling persisted despite getting more rest/sleep and relaxation to reduce anxiety/stress, my GI suggested that I see a neurologist as the main symptom was the brain fog.

The neurologist had me tested for vitamin D, B, a CBC and also got an MRI. The vitamin D came back as quite low (16.5 ng/mL) and B12 as 437 pg/mL (which though normal is slightly on the lower side). I got a call from the nurse who suggested that start taking vitamin D (400IU) and vitamin C (1000mg) a day. On reading the posts here I realized that 400IU is barely adequate, and I have slowly upped the dose to 800IU and then to 1200IU a day. I am planning to up it to 2000IU gradually. It has been two weeks since I started the dose and I can't say that I have seen an improvement, though the fatigue seems to be slightly less. I am scheduled to see the neurologist again in 10 days and I will definitely talk to her about upping the dose, possibly to 50000IU/week as well as supplementing with calcium and magnesium.

My symptoms terrified me a lot initially, though reading posts here I am somewhat convinced that this might be a correct diagnosis, as people seem to have similar symptoms. However, I am not 100% convinced that vitamin D deficiency is the only reason for my symptoms. Mainly because my symptoms started somewhat suddenly, I can pinpoint the week that I had my first "off" day and the number of "off" days started increasing as time went by. Did anyone else experience this? My reasoning is that if you are not getting your required vitamin D intake your vitamin D levels should gradually fall and the symptoms should slowly build up over time? Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

I am still looking at the possibility of gluten intolerance (I have tested negative for celiac through blood tests and endoscopy) as brain fog and fatigue seem to be common in gluten intolerant/celiacs when ingesting gluten. However, I will wait for my vitamin D levels to come back up before trying a gluten free diet. I am also planning to visit an endo to see if something else is out of balance. Another thing that I am worried about is whether the vitamin D deficiency is isolated or if it is simply a symptom of a more serious problem. Anything I should be worried about?

Thanks,
arbguy
1 Comment
The doctor should have told you to take the megadose of D2 50,000 IU per week for 2 to 3 months before getting the Vit. D checked again. Go to another and third doctor if they do not tell you that. The dose of 400 Iu or 2000 IU will not do much.

Though doctor told me 50,000 IU D2 every week, I have been taking 10,000 - 12,000 IU every day of D3 (this is supposed to be more effective. It is available as 5000 IU over the counter). Within 6 weeks I have started seeing a major difference. Based on what I have read, so far as you get tested for Vitamin D and keep it between 40 - 100, you will not get toxicated. Check with the doctor and immediaely up it to 50,000 IU D2 per week (which is available by prescription) or better equivalent 8,000 IU per day of Vitamin D3 which is available over the counter.
lonardo joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 28
HeadMistress Feeling pretty good! Comment
Sep 25
Boy112 joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 25