582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
Does it Get Worse Before it Gets Better?
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
317 members

Hi all!

I was just diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency about a week ago.  My level was 29 and my doctor put me on 50,000 IU twice a week for 8 weeks.  I've taken two doses so far, and each day that I take the vitamin D I feel worse than the days I don't take it.  Completely exhausted, headache, mild nausea, etc.  I feel better (well, comparatively better) by the next day, but I was just wondering if anyone else experienced that as well, and whether it gets better.  I also notice that about 30 minutes after taking the vitamin D, my heart starts beating really rapidly and I feel extra nauseous, but that only lasts for about a minute.  Should I be concerned about that?

Thanks everyone!
I was intolerant to the 50000 vitamin D and experienced palpitations, etc. I found that taking vitamin D in gel cap form (most bioavailable) and gradually titrating up from a dose of 1000 IUs to 4000 IUs daily enabled me to raise my D levels from 20-54. However, it took a long time to do so.
Vitamin D has a bunch of co-factors that usually the docs forget to tell us about. The most important is magnesium. Vit D cannot work without also taking magnesium. Also, if you start taking megadoses of vitD without also taking more magnesium, you will develop a magnesium deficiency.

I had the same issue where I started to get better when I first got on the vitD prescription, but then things got worse. I read up on vitD, discovered the Mg link, started supplementing with magnesium and got better again.

Make sure to take a form of magnesium that the body can absorb, like Mg aspartate or citrate. Anything but magnesium oxide.
Odieandmom joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 19
Ecologic commented on mhv's status
Dec 18
Rainglo joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 17