582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
Everybody needs to be taking Magnesium as well
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
292 members

Just an FYI, vitamin D does not work unless certain cofactors are present. The most important is Magnesium; others are vitA, vitK and boron. Make sure to take a form of Mg that is bioavailable; magnesium oxide does not dissolve so it doesn't help. I started taking Mg last week and it's helped a lot, with sleep and with overall mood / outlook (less anxiety, depression). I am annoyed that doctors prescribe megadoses of vitD without also prescribing Mg, as taking a lot of vitD without Mg will use up the available Mg stores in your body and create a Mg deficiency, and meanwhile the rest of your vitD intake will be unusable to your body, so it will take longer to restore vitD levels since the vitD supplement is wasted.

Magnesium / Calcium ration is supposed to help with insomnia, so if you have trouble sleeping and are supplementing with D3 + calcium, adding Mg may help to balance out added Ca intake.
What do you take to fulfill Magnesium and K2 needs
From your name, are you cured from vitD deficiency? Can you post a little about your experience, like time to recovery, current sense of health / well-being, and what your vitamin intake is now and how often you get re-tested, if at all?

To answer your question, I take 400 mg of magnesium daily (it's a combination of citrate, taurinate, malate, glycinate and succinate forms; sold at Ultra-Mag from Source Naturals). VitK (not sure what whether K2 or not) is part of multivit that also includes boron. Do you have a multivit or other supplements you like?
I suffered for 18 months with anxiety, high pulse rate, depression, zero sleep (except when I was put on some serious sleep medication). My Vit D was 12 initially and doctor's did not advise me anything except 400 IU of D3 which I was anyway getting from Multi-Vit (I take Centrum 50 plus silver).

I asked doctors to re-measure my Vitamin D 6 weeks back. It was 22 and on my insisting they prescribed D2 50,000 IU per week for 2 month. After reading this forum I started taking 10,000 IU - 12,000 IU per day of over the counter D3. After six weeks, I feel marked improvement. I can sleep for 6-7 hours, my anxiety level is low, for 4 days in a week I feel 80% normal and 3 days in a week 50% normal. The days I feel well seem to be slowly going up.

I am taking mult-Vit Centrum 50 plus in addition to D3. In addition, I have blood pressure medication.

Since I continue to take D3 10,000 IU to 12,000 IU per day, I wanted to know from you whether I should add Magnesium and K2.
Hello again,
Sorry I did not see your message until today! To answer your question, my understanding is that without Mg and K (and boron and vitA), vitD will not work. They are required cofactors for vitD (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-cofactors/).  So yes, I suggest taking Mg and vit K (and boron and vitA). The Linus Pauling Institute has good info on recommended daily intake of various supplements, and you can take your diet/medication into account when deciding how much of these co-factors to supplement with. With more vitD intake daily, increase co-factors as well. I've been using Ultra-Mag, which is amino-acid chelated Mg (so it can be absorbed by the body). I noticed that with the multi-vitamins like Centrum, they use Magnesium Oxide, which cannot be absorbed by the body (so it's the same as taking no magnesium). I also take Triple K, which combines K1, K2 and K3, made by Superior Source, and Triple Boron, from Source Naturals.

I just finished a three month D2 prescription (50,000 IU / wk). About half-way through my prescription, I started to feel worse, so I read more about vitamin D and started to supplement daily with co-factors (Mg, K, etc) and D3 about 1.5 months ago. My symptoms (confusion and fatigue) improved again after starting the co-factor supplement. I mostly do not notice any symptoms now.  I get re-tested next week for vitD levels.

Glad to hear you're feeling better and are getting good sleep! It's frustrating that doctors seem to know so little about diagnosis / treatment; seems like your doc (like many) probably needs to read up on this so his/her other patients don't have to insist on the prescription they need!

If you're on other medications, it would be important to make sure that Mg etc are not contra-indicated; there's into online about what medications should not be combined with metals like Mg.
Good health to you in the new year!
Ecologic commented on mhv's status
Sreenivasan joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 06
VICourageous commented on THE HEALING CRISIS IN...
Jun 30