Hello all
Hi to all,

I've just joined the group; looking forward to finding some useful info :).  I was diagnosed with a severe vitamin D deficiency 3 weeks ago and have been prescribed 60,000iu per week.  My doctor didn't really say anything at all about how long it would take to feel better.  So far I've had no change in symptoms at all yet.  I guess it is a long haul!  

Anyway, I have a couple of questions...maybe someone will know.   Can this deficiency be something that comes on very gradually, i.e. can it take a few years?  Am asking because I've had swings in energy and have been catching any cough, cold or flu going for the past 6-7 years.  Also was wondering if it is a good idea to take magnesium and calcium as well on the dosage I'm on, I've read somewhere that this can help?

Cheers
Jane

I've been dealing with this for 5 years without treatment.  I came on gradually at first, then became intrusive to my daily activity.  Sleep deprivation, exhaustion, anxiety, weight gain, depression, list keeps going.  I was in very good shape and a competative endurance athlete, so this pretty much wrecked my competition.  

A few things I learned that may help.  Get your thyroid tested.  I am D deficiant and hypothyroid.  I was recently diagnosed, so this has not been a diagnosed problem for 5 years, just symptomatic.  I have been on treatment for only a week and I am begining to notice a small change.  Be patient and stick to the treatment.

To answer your calcium question, as I said, get your thyriod tested first.  If you need to go on Synthoid, make sure you do not take the calcium and magnesium around the same time as the Synthoid.  Along with the Cal and Mag, add in an overal Trace Mineral that has Iodine in it.  Good for the Thyroid.  You could probably get this all in one source.  

I am on .5 grain Sythoid and taking 10,000 iu daily of D3.  I'll keep you posted on any changes I go through.

So far, I have notice increased energy and decrease in headaches (but not gone, just decreased).  

Good luck!
Yes, they tested my thyroid function at the same time and it was below the normal level - but it is not at the level they treat.  Will be having another test in 5 months.  Good luck with your symptoms!
I had Vit D level of 10. This has impacted my sleep and I developed severe anxiety, depression, tired-ness, social cut-off (did not feel like meeting anyone), poor judgement, decreased cognitive function, high blood pressure and so on.

It took me 7-8 months on Vitamin D3, 5000 iu every day. Now I am mostly normal. I am able to sleep well, no anxiety, no tired-ness.

Therefore, it takes many months to correct. There are 2-3 books on Amazon on Vit D deficiency. You might like to read those.

All the best,
Yes, can certainly relate to those symptoms! Am really struggling at the moment.  My job involves training people and trying to do this with all the symptoms + insomnia is hard.  Still, I will get there, though I guess it will take months.  Good to find a forum.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
ChitChatNine enjoying fall-like weather ! Comment
Sep 25
ClareLG commented on Croup - I thought adu...
Sep 16
ChitChatNine commented on photo
Sep 13