582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
How low for symptoms?
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
316 members

How low for symptoms?

Hi! I'm new here and was just told my levels were low, I think the number was 26 or 27. Told to take 1000 units a day. Has anyone here had symptoms with levels in this range? I realize it's not super low but I've noticed with amazement how the symptoms listed here in the posts match what I've been experiencing in the last month or two as my levels have probably declined (they were ok at my last physical last year). I have a neurological issue that can cause some tingling but it's in some new areas, along with some occasional humming/muscle cramping or twitching, and I've been on a medication that can cause bone pain and soft bones, which I've also noticed. Extreme fatigue, a few other things. It would relieve me so much to know it might at least partly be the D, because I've imagined all kinds of other things! Thanks for any input.
Mary
1 Comment
Hi Mary
Just had to reply as I too was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency 25 on Monday 10th Nov and my symptoms are quite extensive too.  I have been worried that the so called "slightly deficient" conclusion that the doctor arrived at does not account for my symptoms. However after reading symptoms on here I am wondering if the test is fully meaningful as it measures D2 and D3 in the blood and only D3 is usable to the body - so who knows.  I'm going by symptoms, so I think I'm quite low.

My symptoms are:-

Hands - stiff, numbness especially during night and in the morning. Been coming on for 5 months - started with pins and needles when held up hand, moved from only left hand to both.  
Feet - A recent symptom - numbness, stiff, pains in toes,  I am taking 2000 iu per day of D3 ....and chelated magnesium 2 - 300 mg and increasing eating nuts and seeds.  I may increase D3 this once my body gets used to it.
Fatigue and sleeping badly, cold hands
Bone pain and soreness especially elbows, knees, hips and ribs.

I did also have palpitations, tremors, headaches and pain behind eyes.  But "touch wood" these have declined since taking B12 for the last month.  

I have been reading up on Vit D - check Vit D council.org site.  It is important to take magnesium with Vit D3 to help absorb.  I have also started a good multi vitamin with most vits in, including zinc which Vit D3 needs too.

Hope this helps to reassure you.  Keep me posted on your progress and I will you too.  The doctor's site below will help you to determine the dose you need to lift you up to 35.  You can then decide if you want to go higher.

http://fpnotebook.com/Pharm/Vitamins/VtmnD.htm.   Check out dosing for adults with vitamin D deficiency.
I hope we both feel the effect of extra D3 soon, I only want to see a sign it's working.
Best regards

Ecologic commented on mhv's status
Dec 18
Rainglo joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 17
ucozade joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 14