582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
My story
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
298 members

My story

Hi I am keke46 I am 17.5 years old. I have had vit d deficiency for 2 years. Mine was so low it reached a point of 5 out of 30-40+ I was on high doses of vit d pills after a year it returned to semi normal range of 20-25 which I was relived to be. Has anyone been that low?
1 Comment
Not quite that low, but definitely almost there.  My lowest started out at 8, which isn't much better than 5.  Since you are close enough to adult age in body, you can safely follow adult recommendations for the other supplements that should be taken with vitamin D supplements, even at adult doses.  I recommend following what my neurologist told me.  Take your vitamin D3 with magnesium (citrate is best) in the morning.  Then take your calcium at night before you go to bed.  Zinc is important, too, but magnesium is critical. Most people are also magnesium deficient, and it's actually hard to overdose on magnesium.  You will know if you're taking too much magnesium because too much will cause diarrhea.  Keep in mind that the RDA of any vitamin and mineral supplement is more often than not the minimum amount of that supplement needed and not necessarily the optimal amount of that supplement.  While some supplements you should definitely be more concerned about the over use of, magnesium is one that you can figure out easily enough what the right amount for you is.  Always take the bare minimum RDA of magnesium with your vitamin D supplement, though.  It helps your body use the vitamin D.  Magnesium is just as important as the vitamin D itself, as it is used by so many of the body's functions.  Magnesium works with the neurological system and it works with the digestive system.

Once you determine the correct amount of magnesium for you to take with your vitamin D3 in the morning, you then know to take an equal amount of calcium (again, citrate is the best form) at night before you go to bed.  

The neurologist explained that if you take calcium and magnesium together that you don't get the full benefit of either one.  The body's system that utilizes the calcium depletes the magnesium and vice versa.  Therefore, if they're taken separately, you get more benefit from both.  If you don't want to take the calcium at night time, you can take the magnesium and vitamin D3 with breakfast.  Then, take the calcium with lunch or dinner, depending on how early you tend to eat breakfast.
FurballsMom uploaded new photos
Jul 28
Citymom03 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 28
AyeLea joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 25