582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
Very confused by what is a normal vitamin D level?
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
381 members

Hello, I am in the UK, and I have just had a test for vitamin D deficiency. The results have come back "normal" at 62 nmol/ml, with normal range supposed to be 24-167. This range seems very large to me! My level is equivalent to 24 ng/ml, and I am confused as many posts here suggest 24 is still rather low. I have many of the symptoms of vit D deficiency that everyone is mentioning, with muscle and joint pain after exercise being the main one I struggle with. I'm just interested to see if anyone feels this level is normal or whether I should try some OTC vitamin D supplements to see how I get on?

Thanks for your help, and I find everyone's comments on this site very helpful.

im in the UK too :) my tests came back just over a week ago at 18ng!.. my doctor was rubbish and didn't know much on low vit dshe just told me to take a multi vit.

So I done my own research and anything under 32ng is low. New research suggests that minimum optimal levels should be 50ng-80ng!.. I am currently taking 10,000iu of d3 daily and 300mg of magnesium will do this for 2-3 months to get my levels up and then take 3000iu to maintain my new level.. never want to drop low of vit d again these symptoms are horrible!.. what other symptoms do you get?..

also I found the 'easy immune' website very helpful.. that was where most of my info from also theres the 'vitamin d council' website!.. hope you feel better soon..

Charlie
Thanks for the reply Charlie. My GP is lovely, but is really lacking in knowledge with many things. How can a "normal" range be so wide? ;-)

I really hope your symptoms improve with the supplements. Mine range from woolly thinking to feeling really bad after any type of exercise - ache all over and feel like I have the flu, insomnia, irritability...grrr... and many other seemingly unrelated things. I find I feel so much better when I go on holiday in Greece, but this effect lasts only for a couple of weeks after my return, and we don't have much sun in the UK, do we?

What are your symptoms?
....and you're right, easy immune website is very good - thanks for the pointer! Bedtime reading for me.
My symptoms are

Muscle/bone pain in arms, legs and back
Headaches
Dizziness
Strange heavy feeling under right rib :/
Chest pain
Tiredness

Just weak in general, really hoping I start to see some improvement soon!.. :) hardly any summer last year no wonder we are low on vit d!.. hoping for a better one this year :) fingers crossed!..

No harm in you taking an OTC vitamin d3 supplement to get your levels up I think you should give it a go for a few months and see if your health improves!.. have a browse on the easy immune website.. they have a page dedicated to treatment based on your vit d ng level..

Charlie
Nice to be able to talk to someone who is going through the same thing!.. people dont realise how low vit d levels actually effect your health.. (admittedly i didnt before i found out I was low)  
ChitChatNine 's ear surgery for kitty ag... Comment
Aug 28
Jade59 commented on photo
Aug 25
specialmom commented on photo
Aug 25