582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
Vitamin D and isues
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
312 members

Vitamin D and isues

Just read this post and have questions. To start, I have severe pain issues (DDD/DJD). I am also HIV+ for over 20 plus years. Was told my Vit d levels are a little low and prescribed cholecalciferol 5,000 units but reading about some serious issues with this med. What do I need to watch out for? My counts are very good. Nothing to watch out for there but will this affect my pain issues or is this related? I take Norco 10/325 once a day and just had a nerve block (radio frequency obliteration) procedure. I have a history of steroid injections and may need to get more. Please advise as I don't need any more medical problems...thanks.
1 Comment
Are you taking magnesium?  Can you tolerate taking magnesium?  Most people are also magnesium deficient.  The RDA is rather low.  You will know if you have taken too much at one time, because you will get diarrhea.  Should that happen, take less magnesium.  Aim for at least 1,000 mg/day to begin with.  If you can tolerate that much, see if you can come closer to 1,500 mg.  If not, take the amount of magnesium back down a little.  You want magnesium citrate, as that is the best form.  Take it at the same time you take vitamin D3.  The prescription form you're taking is for boosting up your total, but it is the man made vitamin D2. Vitamin D3 is the natural form of vitamin D sold in natural vitamin stores, like a supplement store.  Go to vitamindcouncil.org, as that is the site for the Vitamin D Council.  I recommend signing up for their newsletters.  There are other supplements you benefit from that they talk about for helping your vitamin D levels, but magnesium seems to be the most crucial for actually benefiting from taking your vitamin D.  Oddly enough, the magnesium may even help with the DDD.  This may sound strange, since calcium is needed for bones.  If you are taking calcium supplements:  Take the magnesium with your vitamin D in the morning.  Make sure it's magnesium citrate.  Take the other part of your vitamin D in the evening with your dinner along with calcium citrate.  My neurologist explained that the way the body uses calcium depletes the magnesium and vice versa.  Since magnesium deficiency affects just about everyone, you should see some overall improvement in just about all areas in your body if you follow this as part of your regimen.  

While you do need calcium supplements, too, you will benefit more if you take the magnesium and calcium at separate times of the day.  Most people are not actually calcium deficient, but doctors don't usually talk about magnesium with their patients.  So, all these people who start breaking things like hips and such later in life actually usually have plenty of calcium in their diets and in their body, but no one is talking to them about taking magnesium.  Doctors should be talking about magnesium, since most people are deficient.  Just as deficient as they are with vitamin D.  I learned this from reading newsletters from the Vitamin D Council.  Be sure to check out their site.  Use the search engine to look up the information about magnesium to get more information.  You will be glad you looked up the information.
ChitChatNine thinking about Thanksgiving Comment
Nov 21
Helga84 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 20
ksasnic joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 20