582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
What level is considered a deficiency?
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
313 members

What level is considered a deficiency?

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this for me. I was told that I am vitamin D deficient with a level of 21ng. Searching around on the web, I find some reputable sources that say any level above 20ng is sufficient, while others say you need a level of 30ng.  Does anyone know which reflects the latest research?  I don't want to supplement unless it is required. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!
You are deficient.  Anything below 30 is deficient and you should be taking a supplement.  If you don't take a supplement then you are just asking for problems as I am sure your level will continue to drop over time.
Thanks!
Conventional medicine aims for you to be above 30.  Natural medicine wants you to do more than be sufficient but to optimize your levels at at least 50.  50-60 is optimal.  Dr. Mercola and the Vitamin D Council speak about aiming for 50-100 for optimal levels, so there is no need to be overly concerned about going over this when you're starting out so low.  I started out at only 8, which is bad enough to scare the conventional doctor and is considered to be almost 0, because it's not enough to do you any good.

And, yes, your levels will continue to drop if you don't supplement, especially considering modern lifestyles when we spend so much time indoors.  The other part of the equation is where you live.  With the drought  affecting the majority of the country at temperatures unbearably high, you likely haven't had any sun exposure, so it's even more critical to supplement now as we're approaching that time of the year when the kids are going to start bringing home viruses from their classmates.  You must build up your vitamin D levels or you won't have enough resistance.  IF you do catch a cold or flu virus, it is suggested by the Vitamin D Council to take 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 each day during the duration of the virus.  To get the most benefit, do this at the first signs of the virus.  Since you're definitely deficient, this is not going to be too much for you to take.  In fact, for someone with a normal vitamin D level it is not too much to take on a temporary basis.  The only ones who are going to have a huge problem are those who don't tolerate oral vitamin D supplements.  This usually affects people who have certain types of autoimmune illnesses.  Most other people can tolerate it at that level.  Not everyone with autoimmune illnesses will be unable to tolerate oral vitamin D supplements, but they are the ones most likely to be unable to.

Just keep in mind that since you're definitely deficient that the amount I'm talking about to take during a cold or flu virus can only benefit you and not harm you.  After all, the Vitamin D Council recommends for healthy adults with a normalized vitamin D level to take as much as 6,000 IU of vitamin D3.  So, there is no reason to fear taking 10,000 IU each day during the duration of a cold or flu virus from the onset.  This is especially so, since they recommend OPTIMIZING your vitamin D levels to as high as 100.  Since you're below 30, the worst you would do if you do this during a cold or flu virus from the onset is help boost your vitamin D level closer to the range you need to be at.

Something to help you feel less fearful about the whole thing:  Whenever the FDA talks about what the RDA is for something like this, it's the minimum amount that you need to still keep alive but not necessarily what is the best or optimal level.  Then, too, even though they raised the minimum, they were only looking at bone health and not overall health and immunity.

You absolutely must take your vitamin D with magnesium.  And, since most of us are also deficient in this mineral, it's a win-win for you to go ahead and supplement your magnesium.  You must take the bare minimum of the RDA of magnesium to benefit.  You likely need more than that, as do I.  Doctors don't tell their patients this important information.  I learned it from The Vitamin D Council.

I recommend that you go to their site and sign up for their newsletters.
Pris_Tee88 joined this group
Welcome them!
ChitChatNine thinking about Thanksgiving Comment
Nov 21
Helga84 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 20