von Willebrand Disease Community
Blood Count after my 3 year old's nose bleed

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to von Willebrand’s Disease (VWD), which is a bleeding disorder. It affects your blood's ability to clot.

I am asking a strange question here because anyone who does NOT have VWD would automatically question why I did not bring my daughter to the hospital. So my lovely 3 year old daughter who has Type 1 VWD had an hour long nose bleed yesterday morning. She refused to let me give her the Stimate. When I talked to her hematologist he said to just keep an eye on her energy level and if she get another bleed to call him because they will bring her in for her DDAVP IV treatment. Well luckily she did not get another bleed yesterday and she got her energy back. However, she slept longer last night than she has in a long time and did NOT want to get up this morning. I figured she would be tired but when seh got up she still has not gotten her color back. Do any of you think I should have them do her blood count. She has her energy level but the color just isn't there. Also at the same time how do the rest of you determine when to bring your children with VWD into the hospital. It's so hard to guage sometimes.

I obviously cant say what you should or shouldnt do but as a parent of a child with vwd I can say that I'd have done the same, you followed haemo consultants advice and she didnt bleed again. Maybe if she is still pale the day after then call for more advice?
Apologies for the late response too, been under the weather myself this week :)