von Willebrand Disease Community
Child might have it?

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to von Willebrand’s Disease (VWD), which is a bleeding disorder. It affects your blood's ability to clot.

Child might have it?

My husband was diagnosed with Von Willebrands at the age of 2. I am now pregnant with our 2nd child. Our first doesn't have it. l know it is a 50/50 chance of her getting it but when would be the best time to ask questions and or what do I ask my Dr?
Thanks in advance
Firstly, welcome.
I have VWD and the youngest of my two children also  has it.
Both children were tested at birth from a sample of blod from the umbillical cord but your doctor will be happy to explain what is considered best practice, I'm not sure if it changes depending on where you are.
You need to be aware too that anyone with VWD generally shouldnt have intramuscular injections so infant innoculations have to be given subcutaneously - that was why I found out as early as possible.
Congratulations on your pregnanacy and hope this helps