von Willebrand Disease Community
nose bleed

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to von Willebrand’s Disease (VWD), which is a bleeding disorder. It affects your blood's ability to clot.

nose bleed

my 4 year old has VWD 2B and has bloody noses every so often.  We give him aminocaproic (amicar) as prescribed but sometimes that doesn't help much.  Being 4, we have a hard time getting him to sit still and he doesn't like to have anyone pinch his nose (meaning that he squirms and yells when we try which makes his nose bleed more).  2 questions: 1) at what point do we take him in for factor and/or other medical assistance (hospital website says to bring children with bloody noses in after 20 minutes but we'd be there every week if we did that) and 2) anyone have any tried and true methods to help a bloody nose? Also, any suggestions on how to get a 4 year old to breathe through his mouth would be helpful.
I'm not sure about when to visit the hospital I'm afraid and not much help with the nose pinching thing either really.
My daughter is 8 and we have type 2a. She has occasional nose bleeds and isnt keen on pinching but also hates nose bleeds so is fairly accepting of the fact that if it will last twenty minutes with pinching and 60 minutes without then it's better to take the pinching, I tell her that if she can do it more effectively than me then she can do it herself and the challenge occupies her enough. But I appreciate she's older so may or may not be helpful in your situation