von Willebrand Disease Community
von Willebrand Disease

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to von Willebrand’s Disease (VWD), which is a bleeding disorder. It affects your blood's ability to clot.

von Willebrand Disease

This makes me wonder, maybe I have a bleeding disorder which is causing my periods to be extremely heavy and long. I have two of the symptoms: heavy and long menstrual periods and easy bruising.

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/bleed.htm#vonwillebrand

What do you ladies think? Could this be a possibilty? And if you think this may be what I have, then how come this was overlooked by all the doctors??

Thanks!!
I haven't been on this site for a long time, but what I remember is that your period got messed up after the morning after pill. Maybe check the side effects of it. It is a newly released drug and possible still looking at the side effects. I believe that is a lot of your probs and will probably take several months to regulate. I could be way off, but I know that anytime you mess with levels some people react differently. I hope that you get straightened up real soon and back to a normal life again. Best wishes.
hi you could visit this site http://besthealthoptions.com/pregnancy. gud day!
Actually, my period was already messed up in March [I bled for 20 days] I took the morning after pill on April 7th. I asked my doctor if that may be the case if the pill messed me up and he said no.

But thanks
hi the disease  you are thinking you have is a factor deficiency which is     hemophilia  and is a recessive gene carried on the  x chromosome so if that is what it is then a male in your family would have this disease and your mother would be a carrier of the gene if you Google hemophilia or hemophiliac it will tell you the different factors that cause that disease it is possible to affect women but is very rare that it dose without a family history of it hope that helps  
Hmm....I dont know if this runs in my family, but I do believe I remember my doctor saying something about this [i think]. I think I'm just looking for things to be wrong with me, because I have been to alot of different doctors and nobody knows what's going on. Today is May 3 and I am still bleeding from April 15....I dunno

Some of the information posted before me about Von Willebrands is really not true. It often causes relatively mild symptoms and you might not know it is in the family.   It is not hemophilia that you hear about where people can bleed to death from a cut.  It can cause trouble with bleeding during surgery or with long/heavy periods like you are worried it about.   It is not on the X chromosome and thus has nothing to do with being male or female. You could get it from either your mom or dad.  If your symptoms don't get better you might as well as your doctor to look into this. It is not really super common but it is the most common inherited bleeding problem so it is not out of the question.
I most likely dont have this, I think I just need maybe birth contol pills to help regulate my body. March is were the trouble really began but since November 2006 is were my periods became irregular. All I know is that I really need an answer soon, because it's like ruining my life. I have to be careful of what I wear and I have to wear 2 pads for double protection, and between the doctor visits, medicines and the cost of pads I'm completly broke now...Thank god I get paid tomorrow...lol

Thanks for your help : )

~niki~
hi there well that is definitely not fun to have your period that long i once had mine for 45 day turned out it was stress and hormones that caused the  problem had blood test and u/s and a sonohystogram done i think i spelled that wrong but was given med to get it to stop it did was but on more for a month or two to regulate my period and it worked i would definitely check into it a bit more as for the von disease its a simple blood test to check your clotting time you may need to go see a hemotoligist for further testing if your Dr thinks it is that  but you would have a history in your family of some one a male family member having it it not a disease that can be hidden easily as it causes bleeds in joint and internal bleed if they stand for too long or they get hit with a base ball or fall of a bike this stuff that most boys can do and they only get a bruise because there body's stop the bleeding  but if you are a hemophiliac than you don't clot you just keep bleeding until you get the factor you are missing to stop the bleed in boys there is different types of factor deficiency but only one that can affect females but it is very very rare that it dose hope that  helps i do hope you get and answer soon  
Thank you for your comment. I will deffinetly bring this to my doctor's attention on Monday when I go in. I mean it can't hurt to just ask him. Well it's May 4 and still bleeding....ugh. Thanks again

~niki~
Here's some info I found on MedHelp about von Willebrand Disease:

What is von Willebrand Disease:
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/280/Heart/What-Is-von-Willebrand-Disease?hp_id=1170

C~