All Journal Entries Journals

CF Carrier

Jul 21, 2010 - 12 comments

Ok so I am trying to be calm but I am completely freaked out to find out that I am a carrier of the gene for cystic fibrosis. basically this means that if my husband is also a carrier than there is a chance that our baby will have this horrible disease. He had his blood tested yesterday but we won't get the results back for a whole week. There is about a 1 in 25 chance that any caucasian person is a carrier. it doesnt seem like that high of odds but then again I have it so who know... Any ways my husband is so incredibly relaxed about everything. He was so happy yesterday knowing our babies heart was beating. I on the other hand can only focus on the what ifs...  So if we get his results back and he is a carrier this is what our odds are. 25% chance the baby will have cystic fibrosis, 50% chance tha baby will only carry the gene (just like I do), and a 25% chance the baby will not have the disease or the gene. I just find this to be so incredibly scary. I have been googling like crazy about this disease. In an honest way I wasn't even really sure what it was until now. This is the basic definition for those of you who don't:

the most common congenital disease; the child's lungs and intestines and pancreas become clogged with thick mucus; caused by defect in a single gene; no cure is known

Life expectancy of someone with this disease is 37. This is a number that has gone up substantially over the past 30 years.

please pray for me and my husband. I just am praying so hard that he does not carry the gene. If he doesnt then there is no more worries, our baby will not be able to get cystic fibrosis. Thanks

Post a Comment
by Dolphin05, Jul 21, 2010
Oh wow im so sorry you are going through this. I would be so worried as well and scared. I hope he is not a carrier so your baby will be just fine. You are in my thoughts and please keep us all updated.

by monnie143, Jul 21, 2010
I am a CF carrier as well. I'm sure everything will work out, but I know you must be extremely stressed :(
I will be praying for you and your family. Especially your little bean!!!!

by lil_lady25, Jul 21, 2010
I am sorry to hear about this and hope you are doing okay. You and your family will be in my prayers. How did they find out that you were a carrier? Even if Jason was as well, you would still be the best mommy to this baby regardless. Good luck hun and please keep us updated.

by rbohl01, Jul 21, 2010
Alicia- At my OB they offer a CF screening in addition to all the normal bloodwork due to the fact that most people have no clue they are carriers but so many people are. I opted to do it because I wanted to make sure I took every precaution with this pregnancy. I just am shocked that my test came back positive.

Monnie143- How did you find out you were a carrier??? Did they do testing on your husband?? Any info at all will be helpful for me =)

by Mum2CandS, Jul 22, 2010
I will be praying for you, I'm sure everything will be fine, try not to stress yourself out too much for your sake and the baby's. Thinking of you xx

by Cassandrajane, Jul 22, 2010
Oh no this must be horrible!


But isnt it the same with anything as well.. Like I was tested for Sicklecell and thasseima (I cant spell) and If I was a carrier my boyf had to have tests?

Praying for you.


by monnie143, Jul 22, 2010
One of the first things my RE does before he does any ferility treatments, is genetic testing, for me and my hubby. I had mine done first and it was positive for CF carrier, then waiting on hubby's was terrible, but he turned out negative. I will keep you in my prayers!!! Good luck and keep me posted!
Don't you wonder why they never tested us with our first child? It's kind of a good thing to know when TTC.

by rbohl01, Jul 22, 2010
Monnie143- I know its crazy I have 2 perfect kids and had no idea. I am seeing a different Dr and it is standard at my new office to be screened for it I guess. I will keep you posted.

by lingsiimut, Jul 22, 2010
I am so sorry to hear that ...

But do let the good news over takes the uncertain bad news for now. Hope for the best and you and your family will be in my prayer.

keep in-touch

by MissLisa82, Jul 22, 2010
I am so sorry!  I know you are stressing about this but try to stay calm and know the odds are in your favor.  I will be praying for you.

by SunWorshiper_26, Jul 23, 2010
I'm a carrier for tay sachs disease and so my hubby was tested. He wasn't a carrier but either way you just have to have faith that everything happens for a reason. A good friend of mine passed away about two months about from CF and before her death she was the happiest woman I knew. She had such an amazing life. You have to focus on the positive. Even if you are both a carrier and your child had this disease it doesn't mean they won't live a happy and full life. Best of luck!

by rbohl01, Jul 23, 2010
SunWorshiper_26- Thank you so much. That means alot to me to know your friend had such an amazing life. The more I read about it the more I am coming to accept the idea of it. We will love our child unconditionally no matter what condition he/she is in. Wow you must have been scared too being a carrier of Tay sach's disease. I am assuming that your husband is not a carrier???

Post a Comment