Apr 09, 2011
TRANSLATE THIS PAGE : http://translate.google.com/
ACIDIC STOMACH/ACIDOSIS/DYSPEPSIA/HYPER ACIDITY/STOMACH PROBLEMS ==================================================================
Guys, this one is my personal experience of dealing with a very complex issue. You may exercise your own judgment in following some of cure below. You must read this blog in its entirety for at least 2-3 times to understand the cure mechanism. Also Brands of herbs that I used in this blog is only for reference to what I used, and not to promote or side with them. Yes, I am one of very rare, cured patient and hence am sharing my experience for benefit to others. My cure was mostly brought by my own persistent research on this matter after realization, that allopathic method has no cure (idiopathic) available except managing symptoms through medicines, as I searched on internet to find not even one case, where it was cured. Yes, most of you know or believe that gastro paresis (Delayed emptying) cannot be cured as that is what your experience is. Since, I got cured once, and when it struck again after around 20 months I have been able to trace back and understand what caused my cure the first time. This blog will help those who face following symptoms: - stomach anxieties after meals, burning pain around abdominal area, making you nausea, dizzy and always hungry and there is a considerable weight loss. This blog shall also help those having acid reflux/GERD/Heartburn issues after meals.
This blog has my own research on how to manage and possibly cure this problem (gastro paresis/Dysmotility/Acid Buildup) without medicines and only natural methods (Herbs/Stomach Exercises and Diet control) are used to control or cure this problem :->
FIRST, THE POSSIBLE CURE/Management, the way I see it
NSAID Painkiller Drugs/Too much intake of Strong Food like Fried food, White Flour, Red Meat/Baked food or in some case surgeries or for some other reason, have Caused slow down in stomach Digestion thus resulting in Dysmotility Or Gastro paresis or partial paralysis of stomach Causing delayed emptying of stomach. Intake of fatty food (Rich oily) that was also Red meat (mutton) triggered Delayed emptying in my case. The delayed emptying may also be started by onset of Acidosis (My case). Acidosis may also be caused by renal tubular acidosis (RTA) that occurs when the kidneys fail to excrete acids into the urine, which causes a person's blood to remain too acidic. When your blood is contaminated with excess acids or your body liquids are acidic, results in all sorts of issues starting with slow digestion and then all subsequent related problems that manifest. Vice a versa Gastro paresis (Delayed emptying) will itself cause acid buildup which may result in acidosis.
” http://www.aboutgimotility.org/site/about-gi-motility/disorders-of-the-stomach/ “
Delayed emptying further results in ACID BUILDUP, and excess acids in turn make our stomach Sensitive thus making it difficult to drink tea coffee Alcohol or anything that stimulates the stomach. Mostly over acidic state in small intestine is the culprit which inhibits further emptying. The acids are also released, if you have consistent anxiety and panic attacks especially if they are centered on stomach area. This causes stomach anxieties, severe weight loss and regular flare ups making you nausea, dizzy and always hungry etc. It has major impact on your bowel movement as it literally slows it down causing severe constipation issues. What this means is that final cure shall ensure regular bowel movement. . As acidity prone individuals we must avoid Red meat, White flour products and Fried food or have them only in moderation (once every 7-10 days in small quantity only). All type of meat shall be had only in Grilled / Steamed/ Boiled form to avoid acid buildup in future. Also White Flour foods should never be combined with meat as stomach will find it tough to digest two strong foods together.
If you have used a Car with Dual fuel (Petrol & CNG) you must have noticed how it runs smoothly on petrol but when on CNG the pickup is not that smooth and you can feel that heavy load gives more issues when on CNG. What I am saying is, that our body runs gr8 when on good blood type, but when the same blood type is intoxicated or not healthy, we start to have problem like not able to eat heavy food and slow digestion. Our blood is made of what we ate in last 5-6 months. Our treatment therefore must include blood purification and Kidney cleanse as major tasks. This can be done by having good food type over next few months and by increasing alkaline reserves that are needed to neutralize acids that are produced in body. That is why, when you are on allopathic PPI/H2 Blockers having good time continuing to eat same type of food that you are used to, but as soon as you stop taking pills, then you are back with issue, is because you have not replaced the blood with healthy type by eating healthy food. It is this unhealthy blood type that continues to cause delay emptying of stomach. So long, that you continue to suppress acids using PPI, delayed emptying will continue to persist. Read DISCUSSION section of article here: “ http://gut.bmj.com/content/42/2/243.full “ “ http://india-ayurvedic.blogspot.in/2012/07/ayurvedic-medicine-for-blood.html “
It is this onset of ACIDOSIS that started Delayed emptying in my case, and acid buildup in turn manifested additional issues like Constipation(1), sensitive stomach(2) (where intake of spicy food especially liquid curries, tea coffee causes further anxiety), Functional dyspepsia(3) (feeling of fullness even with small meals) and also you cannot eat heavy meals at this stage(4). Also depletion of Alkaline reserves (Sodium) may cause Acidosis (5). All these 5 issues must be dealt with to get final cure i.e. increasing stomach motility. Functional dyspepsia can be cured by stomach exercise (kapalbhati) while Triphala helps Sensitive stomach and motility issues. Restoring alkalinity of blood will help us in eating heavy foods. Similarly we must increase sodium reserves by eating Healthy Salts instead of regular table salts.
Your food is going to be your medicine from now on. We will use right food; Intestinal & Blood cleanse to get rid of this complex issue. Also we must increase alkaline reserves of body to reverse acidosis which is actually a root cause for delayed emptying of stomach. Consuming a diet of 80 percent alkaline-forming foods and 20 percent acid-forming foods can help build and preserve your alkaline reserve. Drink ALKALINE water and electrolyte-containing beverages. We must also look for NATURAL methods to purify/restore alkalinity of the blood alongside for speedy recovery. The journey from soft/Lightly prepared diet To strong diet is a slow one, but will ensure final cure. There is also a section in this blog on How to Stop PPI/H2 Blockers. Please read that also. @@@ Getting off PPI class of drugs is one of the important steps in curing or managing this issue. @@@
Ingredients used by me: -
1. Drakshasav/Panchasav (for acidosis cure, avoid during sensitive stomach stage) /Trikatu (for upper GI tract)/Manjishtha or Purim (HemoCare, Himalaya brand for Blood cleanse) Dashmularishta/ (for Immunity)/ Raktashodhak Baidyanath blood purification. “ http://www.baidyanathayurveda.com/defectiveblood.html “ . I have personally used alfalfa seeds and Wheat grass juice along with raisin water to help restore alkalinity of blood.
You may use other natural methods/Brands for blood cleansing as per your choice. All that is required is, to find a way to purify/ restore alkalinity of the blood using natural methods as defective blood is the root cause in this case. Look for Goji berries Juice (Wolf Berries), Liquid Chlorophyll /Alfalfa sprouts/ Alfalfa Seeds & Wheat Grass Juice products for Blood purification as they help restore alkalinity of the blood.
Goji Berrie Juice effect on acidic blood: - “ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vhHe55s9rg “
Liquid Chlorophyll benefits:-“ http://www.energiseforlife.com/wordpress/2009/02/11/health-benefits-of-liquid-chlorophyll/ “
“ http://voices.yahoo.com/8-health-benefits-alfalfa-sprouts-6762504.html?cat=68 “
2. Triphala capsules for (Himalaya brand , for lower GI tract, Intestinal cleanse) after every meal for motility and also to cure sensitive stomach. I took 3 caps every day for 3-4 weeks and then reducing it to 2 and then to one finally, before taking it occasionally every week. http://www.iherb.com/Himalaya-Herbal-Healthcare-Triphala-60-Caplets/3743
3. Pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) (30-45 ml every day) for lubricating stomach and for better digestion. Buy and Drink alkaline water (PH > 7.5) if available.
4. Kapalbhati Stomach exercise every morning to cure functional dyspepsia.
5. Black raisins soaked (15-20 black raisins) in glass of water for 8-10 hour and then drink this water +eat raisins. Do this twice every day for blood cleanse (Acidosis & constipation cure). Also eat black raisins (at least 30 grams daily) to Improve Hemoglobin levels & good blood type as raisins are very alkaline. Eating raisins daily is very important part of this cure as it helps restore alkalinity of blood and also gaining weight. http://www.best-home-remedies.com/herbal_medicine/fruits/raisins.htm
6. Last but not the least, a soft diet(80% alkaline 20% Acidic) till recovery. We must increase alkaline reserves by having vegetable diet avoiding meat at least during recovery periods. Food at this stage can never be strongly cooked/heavy/fried (slow digestion) or acidic (strong Protein, meat).
7. Our blood is made of what we ate in last 5-6 months. Hence to reverse acidosis (which is real cause of delayed emptying of stomach and thus subsequent problems) we will eat only healthy food (Vegetarian) for next 5-6 months avoiding meat (& fried foods) specifically and increasing alkaline reserves, which will help us get back to eating all that we want to. No doubt it takes minimum around 8-12 weeks of good diet to start us on regular diet but we must continue to build alkaline reserves to make this cure permanent. During recovery we must take all precautions not to have further acid buildup and following blood purification/ restore alkalinity of the blood NATURAL WAY.
8. When you eat a meal that is overly acidic, your body must neutralize the acid and regulate the alkalinity of the blood. Your body neutralizes acids with organic sodium from its alkaline reserves. Hence we shall increase Sodium reserves by eating healthy salts. Use unrefined Celtic Sea salt/Himalayan Pink salt/Black Salt/Rock Salt instead of regular table salt in your food. These healthy salts are used as a digestive aid and to relieve heartburn, and are also a laxative. You shall see a marked difference in your digestion when you start using this type of salt instead of regular refined table salt for your food. Just add a sprinkle of one or all of these salts to your fruits and meals and also your water that you drink before or after every meal. “ http://www.healing-from-home-remedies.com/sea-salt-vs-table-salt.html “ “ http://www.radianthealthstrategies.com/healing_power_of_salt.php “
Treatment therefore should be done using all of following steps:-
1. Having only Soft diet food, avoiding strong/heavy food or food that takes long time to digest and also avoiding food that would require too much acids to be released (proteins). Start with Boiled only food diet for first 1-2 week (No oil/onion) as this is the lightest form of food to stomach. Boiled food diet to start with is also a test to tell you, that if you can sustain boiled food and do not required any medicines and are not having stomach flare ups when you are on boiled food diet, then all steps below will mostly take you to recovery gradually, i.e. yours is a Food induced Dysmotility and can be cured by gradually increasing from soft to strong diet. The journey from soft diet to strong diet is a slow one, but will ensure final cure.
2. Avoiding acid buildup at all costs by sticking to grilled/Boiled/light preparation of food and sticking to step 1. Avoid most baked goods or anything made with flour. Meat (Poultry, Fish) can be had only once 3-4 days during recovery. You shall mostly avoid strong foods (Flour based) and Meat during recovery period. Stick to Rice and Rice based foods. Have green smoothies to increase alkaline reserve. “ http://www.womentowomen.com/bonehealth/alkaline-bones.aspx “
3. Dextoxing by using natural herb triphala or coconut water after every meal to help stomach lose excess acids and thus make it less sensitive. Never eat to full stomach. Eat up to 70-80%. Sensitive stomach, which is result of prolonged acid buildup, can be cured with triphala capsule after every meal which must be a soft/Lightly prepared diet. To lubricate the stomach for better digestion, Have 1-2 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) followed by cold/warm (not hot) milk every day only after you have cured sensitive stomach by taking triphala after every meal. We must also look for NATURAL methods to purify the blood for speedy recovery.
4. Only ALKALINE food snacking dried raisins, Figs, Dates, cucumbers, carrot, papaya, banana, water melon etc. Make Beets, Spinach, cabbage, broccoli part of all your daily meals. You must increase your alkaline reserves to reverse Acidosis which is root cause, thus other issues that follow delayed emptying. Drink water and electrolyte-containing beverages or sports drinks. “ http://www.livestrong.com/article/317719-how-to-neutralize-acid-in-human-body/ “
5. Stomach exercise (Kapalbhati) every day morning to bring elasticity back to stomach and also regain its motility. A breathing exercise called Kapalabhati is used to increase digestive fire and cure functional dyspepsia. An inhale is taken naturally, and on the exhale, the stomach muscles are snapped in forcefully to extract all the air. I do this at least 15-20 minutes every day morning (400-500 stomach steps). Like any other exercise this must be increased gradually. Also those with BP issues shall do it with 10 sec break every 20-30 steps. This exercise has helped me to enhance motility of stomach and also to cure Functional dyspepsia.
6. Taking NATURAL CURE method AVOIDING MEDICINES, as this specific problem can be treated easily through natural means. Triphala has played very important role in this recovery in my example. There is also a section in this blog on How to Stop PPI/H2 Blockers. Please read that also. Getting off PPI is one of the important steps in curing or managing this issue.
7. Doctors recommend small and frequent meals, but forget to mention that snack/food/meal must be either soft diet or alkaline and not add to further acid buildup. All acidic category food must be in soft diet form only. That means you must avoid Sugar/fried/baked (cake, pastries etc)/red meat/flour, white flour (bread , flat bread etc)/all type of processed food (chips, tomato sauce, chocolates etc) at all costs till the stomach is ready to take them back till recovery take place (at least 8-12 weeks of consistent diet monitoring). FRIED food is always no no for you henceforth.
8. Bland food that is fried /baked will not help. Method of preparation is very important. Avoid most baked goods or anything made with flour. All food must be lightly prepared avoiding oil as far as possible or use only 1-2 spoon oil at most for preparing food. Spices are always welcome addition and they do not necessarily cause stomach anxieties. Avoid all types of curries (liquid) if you have a sensitive stomach. My stomach ceased to sensitive after 7-10 days of use of Triphala after every meal.
9. Combination of food made from flour and meat should be avoided. Meat/ egg should never be combines with flour products (chapatti, flat bread, and bread). Meat can be had with rice instead. Similarly PH of food (chyme) in small intestine less than 3.5-4.0 will inhibit stomach emptying until duodenal chyme (food) can be neutralized. What this means is that over acidic conditions of food in small intestine which is the next stage of passing food from stomach, will delay further emptying if the state of food (chyme) in small intestine is over acidic (<3.5). In that case acids must be neutralized to start further stomach emptying. Moral, do not eat food that is over acidic like red meat or Alcohol in large quantities. Meat shall be avoided during recovery stage to prevent further acid buildup.
Also Alcohol can reduce ph state of small intestine so you must avoid or have alcohol in moderation. I have myself notice delayed emptying whenever I had alcohol before food. If you had alcohol without food, you must follow it by light/soft diet or small meal. Alcohol should now be taken with Soda Water; as carbonated water can aid digestion especially if you take it along with food. Also, alcohol/beer should preferably be always taken along with lunch or dinner meals and not in isolation.
10. Constipation may be frequent during this stage, so you must make conscious efforts to make a bowel movement and also to cure this as and when required by either using natural means (2-3 spoons Pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) followed by cold milk/Caster Oil/drink plenty water) or any other suitable method.
11. Train your eyes to pick up the food that will not give you anxiety. I have been able to pick up my type of food even from roadside stalls. Fatty & Fried Food take longest to empty and they tend to slow down emptying of stomach. Similarly High protein (meat) will release acids. Gastric emptying is favored when standing or by lying on right side if you are immobilized.
12. Our blood is made of what we ate in last 5-6 months. Hence to reverse acidosis (which is real cause of delayed emptying of stomach and thus subsequent problems) we will eat only healthy food (Vegetarian) for next 5-6 months avoiding meat (protein & fried foods) specifically and increasing alkaline reserves, which will help us get back to eating all that we want to. No doubt it takes minimum around 8-12 weeks of good diet to start us on regular diet but we must continue to build alkaline reserves to make this cure permanent. During recovery we must take all precautions not to have further acid buildup and following blood cleansing NATURAL WAY.
13. Whenever I did a mistake of having food that caused stomach anxiety and flare ups then immediately I would have 1-2 triphala capsules, or coconut water, or cold milk, or baking soda dissolved in a glass of water. It is important not to stress stomach anymore and so these steps should be taken immediately whenever flare ups happened. I normally keep triphala handy for such cases.
In short, DETOX after every meal (use either Coconut water Or Triphala), do stomach exercise (kapalbhati, sit-up), Stay away from High fat meal, Fried food, Baked food, Flour products, & Red meat (As these take long time to digest, causing acid buildup and thus causing Sensitive stomach & gastroparesis/Dysmotility), have food that is Boiled/Grilled Or is lightly prepared/is Soft Diet (1-2 spoon oil (less oil the better), cooked less than 10 minutes and is not curried, Dried preparing), sticking to 3 meals, strictly avoiding Painkiller drugs (NSAID), avoiding stomach stimulant like Tea Coffee alcohol during sensitive stomach stage, and no snacking before Lunch and breakfast, and only ALKALINE food Snacking with dried raisins, Figs, Dates, cucumbers, carrot, papaya, banana, water melon and using Digestive tonic (Not enzymes!, e.g. drakshasava/panchasav, avoid during sensitive stomach stage)/ Preferably Triphala after each meal and also using products that help restore alkalinity of blood (Raisins, wheat grass, Alfalfa) for 8-12 weeks, would help you restore your stomach back. Drink 3-4 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) daily, followed by glass of Cold/warm (not hot) milk before sleep to lubricate your stomach and help with constipation issues, but only after you have cured sensitive stomach by using triphala after every meal. Continue to increase alkaline reserves by having more meat free and fried food free days.
One link for KAPALBHATI Exercise: “ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_Kj6vFPd8 “
Similarly Sit up exercise: “ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygmgGqzsSiU “
“ http://www.buzzle.com/articles/triphala-benefits.html “
“ http://www.wellnesspathways.com/handouts/acidalkalinefoodchart.pdf “
“ http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/magnesium-foods.htm “
“ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_diet “
“ http://www.favorfinesse.com/triflaguggulu.shtml “
“ http://www.puristat.com/bloating/digesting-proteins-and-starches.aspx “
“ http://www.trans4mind.com/nutrition/pH.html “
“ http://diabetes.ygoy.com/2009/09/17/the-herb-swertia-chirata-can-control-diabetesb/ “
Triphala & pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) is available in most Indian groceries and is very cheap. My stomach ceased to be sensitive after around 7 days of triphala use, so I could start having my Tea without any problem. Also you must drink lots of water to avoid constipation issues when taking Triphala or Digestive Enzymes. Tea (always Ginger Added for enhancing digestion & motility), Coffee, & Alcohol (now always with soda water, as soda water is very soothing to stomach) can be taken along with food or immediately after food once your stomach ceases to be sensitive after a week or two of Triphala use. Always eat acidic food in Soft diet / Boiled/ Grilled form only. Also all snacking should be Alkaline only as you do not want to push acidic food thus promoting acid buildup during snacking.
A similar results may be achieved by having Coconut water after every meal, as coconut water also tones up stomach and is a good detoxication drink. But having coconut water after every meal may be difficult, so Triphala may be used instead to achieve same and perhaps better results.
Post recovery, If you ate large meal like buffet/Fried food then use digestive enzyme (e.g. digeplex T) supplement just before meal followed by triphala capsule to speed up digestion to prevent acid buildup later. We must avoid acid buildup in future to prevent re occurrence of gastro paresis, avoiding trigger food that takes long to digest (for e.g. Red meat, Fried food & White flour or baked food products specifically). You must continue to use natural methods for blood cleansing. If any day I had large or strong meal, I would take one triphala capsule immediately after food to avoid acidosis and thus re start onset of delayed emptying and subsequent problems. Since we are acidity prone Individuals some precautions is necessary and will ensure Acidosis free life without medicines. Normally, an 80% Vegetarian and 20% Non vegetarian meal or sticking to MEAT in Grilled/Boiled form only would ensure life without acidity. As acidity prone individuals we must avoid Red meat, White flour products and Fried food or have them only in moderation (once every 7-10 days in small quantity only). All type of meat shall be had only in Grilled / Steamed/ Boiled form to avoid acid buildup in future. Also White Flour foods should never be combined with meat as stomach will find it tough to digest two strong foods together.
HOW IT STARTED
Once while dealing with an Ear pain I had painkillers. The side effect of painkillers started acidity and resulting anxiety and panic aggravated it to hyper acidity.
I suffered from this for almost 6-7 months but can say that I have recovered almost completely although I still watch out for trigger food for acidity like Greasy- oily or fried food and red meat largely avoiding them or having them in moderation only. My ENDOSCOPY confirmed that I had no ulcer but I was only suffering from hyper acidity.
If you suffered from anxiety and panic attacks like me then you must make sure that you put a complete stop to them. This is very easy as once you decide that you no longer want to have anxiety or panic, your body will listen to it. Keep instructing yourself that I will no longer have anxiety or Panic. These panic attacks that are centered on stomach will stress your stomach causing it to release more and more acids.
On looking carefully I found that these anxiety and panic attacks had caused cramps and spasm in my stomach. What this means is that my panics attacks were actually affecting my stomach areas causing spasm and cramps during panic attacks. My belief is, that caused the logical system of stomach to go haywire thus causing Acid buildup or Hyper-acidity. The prolonged acid buildup in turn caused dyspepsia/gastroparesis and other issues like constipation. Using PPI/H2 Blockers (Razo, Nexium etc) and allopathic motility/kinetic drugs do not cure this except suppressing symptoms, and in fact the problem comes back later once you stopped PPI/H2 Blockers. Most important is that you should have faith that this will get cured. But the cure will take at least around 12 weeks of consistent use of stomach motility enhancing treatment along with soft diet.
THE PROBLEM / ACID INDIGESTION/ Dysmotility/ gastroparesis
The stomach is partially paralyzed (Dysmotility) because of reaction of either some medicines (Painkillers-NSAID/Surgery/Panic attacks centered on stomach etc) or strong food that took long time to digest, and is thus causing delayed emptying/digestion of food, resulting in acid buildup as more acids are released because of undigested food remaining in stomach (food and acids produced during previous meals are not being emptied when next meal is taken. Generally when a food is taken it stimulates emptying of stomach of previous meals and acids).
“ http://www.ehow.com/about_4689104_natural-medicine-dysmotility.html “
“ http://www.buzzle.com/articles/triphala-benefits.html “
Although the root cause is Acidosis and subsequent slow moving stomach digestion, the resulting symptoms are usually same; as acid buildup accumulated during digestion causes blood ph to go down aggravating acidosis, stomach anxieties, severe weight loss and regular flare ups making you nausea, dizzy and always hungry along with severe weight loss etc. We have to resolve this issue on two fronts, one would be to help stomach achieve required motility by stomach exercises (Sit-up or Kapalbhati) and natural motility herbs (Ginger/Triphala), and other would be to use natural methods to cleanse blood along with controlling further acid buildup by reducing acidic food intake and going in for magnesium/alkaline based food as major food and having acidic food only in form of soft diet. “ http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/magnesium-foods.htm “ “ http://www.wellnesspathways.com/handouts/acidalkalinefoodchart.pdf “
Stomach has become sensitive because of acid buildup. Acids are also secreted by direct stimulation, when we consume stomach stimulants like Tea Coffee during sensitive stomach. The one way to deal with is to control acid secretion and that is what these PPI/H2 blockers (Razo, Nexium etc) do and then there are these ANTACIDS who help neutralize the acids in stomach but here you cannot control as to how much of acids will be Neutralized !. Acids are usually released when digesting protein or when there is undigested food in stomach. PPI/H2blockers line of treatment only suppresses release of acid from parietal cells, but as soon as we stop medication, Acid Buildup is back, and thus we do not get required results and the problem resurfaces.
We will do away with PPI/H2 Blockers as you do not want to interfere with logical functioning of stomach. Yes PPI/H2 Blockers will help, when you have stomach Ulcer and you do not want acids to affect its healing. In that case going for PPI/H2 Blockers makes sense for duration of time. Also one study suggested that suppression of gastric acid per se resulted in delayed gastric emptying which is the root cause in our case. Getting off PPI is one of the important steps in curing or managing this issue.
Read DISCUSSION section of article here: “ http://gut.bmj.com/content/42/2/243.full “There is also a section in this blog on How to Stop PPI/H2 Blockers. Please read that also.
The diet for ULCER cure is avoiding all types of Diary, No Meat, Only boiled food diet or alkaline only food for all 3 meals & no (Acidic food) snacking, PPI/H2 Blockers as medicines , Digestive Enzymes before large meals and avoiding all stomach stimulant like Onion curries, Tea coffee & alcohol and pickles for 4-6 weeks. But since here we are only dealing with hyper acidic state or Acid buildup (because of Dysmotility or slowed digestion), we will do away with this method.
“ http://drpullen.com/ProtonPumpInhibitors “
LINE OF TREATMENT/THE METHOD I HAVE USED TO CURE
Treating hyperacidity with PPI/allopathic motility drugs/H2 Blockers (Razo, Nexium etc) is not the way to go. I have found that, using Light food/Soft Diet along with using black Raisin water & Triphala Capsules (intestinal cleanse) after every meal cures the problem for good. We must also use natural methods to cleanse blood for speedy recovery. Triphala, from Indian ayurvedic natural herbs helps with Motility of stomach thus enhancing faster emptying of stomach and can be taken after each meal. “ http://www.organicindia.com/triphala.php ”
It is recommended to have triphala morning and evening or as suggested after every meal. Triphala initially may be hard on your stomach so wait till you get used to it. Please know that this problem of acidity usually takes at least around 8-12 weeks to cure, so do not discontinue any of tablets above but have soft diet also as mentioned above.
Also Antacids can be used to neutralize the excess acids, but still here we are not dealing with the actual problem i.e. Delayed emptying of stomach which is the root cause. The cure lies in having only alkaline food / Soft Diet (Light preparation of food or food that is not strongly cooked) for duration of time and then gradually going in for regular food (Acidic & Alkaline but softly cooked)
The stomach at this stage (Dysmotility/slow digestion) is not able to digest STRONGLY COOKED/Heavy food or food that is FRIED or is a MEAT. Also stomach will give anxiety/flare ups if you ate food that either required lots of acids to be released (Proteins) or is strong (white flour & Fried). (dishes that are prepared in around or less than 10 minutes of cooking (light preparation of food) and are not curried [dry preparation] and around 1-2 spoon oil are mostly soft to stomach). A dish that took more time to cook is normally a strong food, and our stomach will start releasing acids to digest this and hence we must avoid strongly cooked food for at least 10-12 weeks. That is why onion curries or any other curries must be avoided initially as usually they are prepared after lots of cooking and can stimulate the stomach, and thus are stressful to stomach. Since the stomach has now become sensitive because of too much acid, we have to avoid all stomach stimulants like Onion curries, pickle, citric acid, tea coffee etc. That means you must avoid Sugar/fried/baked (cake, pastries etc)/red meat/ flour (bread, chapatti etc)/all type of processed food (chips, tomato sauce, chocolates etc) , at all costs till the stomach is ready to take them back till recovery take place. Similarly the acid indigestion requires only soft diet for a period of time before stomach can recover back and is able to digest strong foods. Also we will use NATURAL digestive Tonics(Not enzymes)/Triphala to help improve digestion. Triphala initially may be hard on your stomach so wait till you get used to it. To lubricate the stomach for better digestion, Have 1-2 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) followed by Cold/warm milk every day only after you have cured sensitive stomach by taking triphala after every meal. Also we must increase alkaline reserves of body to reverse acidosis which is actually a root cause for delayed emptying of stomach. Consuming a diet of 80 percent alkaline-forming foods and 20 percent acid-forming foods can help build and preserve your alkaline reserve. Drink water and electrolyte-containing beverages. We must also look for NATURAL methods to purify/ restore alkalinity of the blood for speedy recovery. The journey from soft diet to strong diet is a slow one, but will ensure final cure.
WHAT /HOW TO EAT in HYPERACIDITY/ Gastro paresis /Dysmotility
This is the biggest question that everyone has as to what to eat that will not cause stomach anxieties. Finally, it comes to intake of fatty food (Rich Oily) which is also a Meat that triggered Acidosis and subsequent delayed emptying in my case. Your food is going to be your medicine from now on. We will use right food; Intestinal & Blood cleanse to get rid of this complex issue. My personal experience says that if we stick to lightly cooked food, food that is Soft diet/Lightly prepared and if required, is prepared with 1- 2 spoon of oil (less/No oil the better) and is prepared in less than 10 Minutes and is not curried (No liquid curry) will not cause any anxiety. Also instead of regular salt use healthy salts like Celtic Sea salt/Himalayan Pink salt/Black Salt/Rock Salt. These salts help in digestion and prevent indigestion. Avoid most baked goods or anything made from White FLOUR. It is okay to have spices as they really do not cause any issues, except that, may be their quantity should be less. The stomach digestion being weak in this condition (Delayed emptying/ gastro paresis/ Dysmotility), STRONGLY cooked food (food that took long time to prepare), or food that is fried/Red meat or white flour/baked causes release of acids thus giving anxiety. Also grilled/Tandoori/Boiled/Steamed food will not cause any harm, that is why boiled egg, omelet (prepared in 1/2 TSP oil) are okay. If we stick to light food /Soft diet for around 12 weeks we would have mostly got rid of this complex issue. Also taking help of Triphala after will help get our digestion rejuvenated and thus will help us get rid of this complex issue. Also take Triphala one Capsule morning and evening or after every meal. To lubricate the stomach for better digestion, Have 1-2 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) followed by Cold milk every day only after you have cured sensitive stomach by taking triphala after every meal.. Please know that this problem of acidity usually takes at least around 8-12 weeks, so do not discontinue any of tablets above but have soft diet also as mentioned above. I always had magnesium based vegetable (Spinach for example) reserved for night (dinner) as they sooth your stomach since magnesium is a natural antacid.” http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/magnesium-foods.htm “
Always eat acidic food in Soft diet / Boiled/ Grilled/Steamed form only. Also all snacking should be Alkaline only as you do not want to push acidic food thus promoting acid buildup during snacking. Only have 3 meals and no (Acidic food) snacking. Keep dried raisins, Figs, cucumber, Dates, banana, papaya, water melon and carrot for moderate ALKALINE Food only snacking purposes and strictly avoiding all stomach stimulants like Onion curries, Tea Coffee Alcohol pickle etc at least during sensitive stomach stage. That means you must avoid Sugar/fried/baked (cake, pastries etc)/red meat/ flour (bread/chapatti etc)/all type of processed food (chips, tomato sauce, chocolates etc) , at all costs till the stomach is ready to take them back till recovery take place. So guys, strictly avoid strongly cooked food and fried food and red meat in this period (around 12 weeks of recovery time). To speed up the recovery, also have NATURAL digestive Tonics(Not enzymes!, e.g. drakshasava/panchasav avoid during sensitive stomach stage) Triphala just before/after meals to increase stomach motility. Also we must increase alkaline reserves of body to reverse acidosis which is actually a root cause for delayed emptying of stomach. Consuming a diet of 80 percent alkaline-forming foods and 20 percent acid-forming foods can help build and preserve your alkaline reserve. Drink water and electrolyte-containing beverages. We must also look for NATURAL methods to purify/ restore alkalinity of the blood for speedy recovery. The journey from soft diet to strong diet is a slow one, but will ensure final cure.
Also remember that if your stomach gives you anxiety after any meal, then you surely ate something that was either Fried or it was meat or it was food made from flour. For example I found that although vegetable Okra is alkaline food, but since it is first always fried, inclusion of Okra always gave stomach anxiety. So even with safe foods, the method of cooking is very important so as to not give you stomach anxiety. We must avoid acid buildup in future to prevent re occurrence of gastro paresis, avoiding trigger food that takes long to digest (for e.g. Red meat, Fried food & White flour or baked food products specifically). Milk should be had only Cold/Chilled (Never drink Hot milk). Avoid most baked goods or anything made from White FLOUR.
I have personally noticed that whenever I had Fried food along with Carbonated water/Cola (or alcohol added), it never gave me any digestion issues as acidity of soda water/Alcohol/cola helps to break down the food. That is why, when you eat those huge burgers/meat along with Cola/carbonated water (or Alcohol added), it actually supplements the digestion helping the food break down easily with each sip. Eating fried/Processed food in isolation is always no henceforth. But as always these carbonated drinks should be had in moderation and along with food and not in isolation as these are all acidic drinks. So it would be wise to say that you shall order carbonated drinks/cola along with all junk food to digest them better and reduce the need for acid release by stomach. But here is a Catch 22 situation, if you continue to have acidic food and acidic beverages (cola, Alcohol) on continuous basis it might cause acidosis which may result in gastro paresis or delayed emptying. So you must have more alkaline food days, but whenever you indulged in any of junk/fried food/meat then you may supplement it with carbonated beverages/cola/alcohol to aid digestion in order to not give you indigestion and hence delayed emptying issues. IN FACT one of the way to eat fried and junk food for us acidity prone individuals is to aid digestion using these carbonated drinks. But you must wait for your digestion to be restored before embarking on any such meal by following steps in this blog.
Whenever I went to a party and had Drinks (Alcohol) Added with carbonated water (Soda water) along with food (all type including fried & meat, where you take a sip and then eat and so on), I never faced any indigestion or stomach anxiety issues. Those made me realize that carbonated drinks do help break down food easily thus causing stomach not to release more acids. So guys, this is one method you can use to eat junk/fatty food and also get away with indigestion later. That also makes me think why a food like big burger should always be had with carbonated drinks. Yes carbonated drinks (Cola, Soda water etc) do help break food easily as these are very acidic beverages; but they must be had along with food and not in isolation or not after food to aid digestion.
As acidity prone individuals we must avoid Red meat, White flour products and Fried food or have them only in moderation (once every 7-10 days in small quantity only). All type of meat shall be had only in Grilled / Steamed/ Boiled form to avoid acid buildup in future. Also White Flour foods should never be combined with meat as stomach will find it tough to digest two strong foods together.
** A NOTE on How to Stop PPI/H2 Blockers **
Getting off Proton Pump Inhibitors (Nexium, ranitidine, famotidine, omeprazole, Razo etc) is very important first steps in managing this issue. Being on PPI for long time and then stopping suddenly will have acid rebound effect. You must follow soft/grilled/steamed diet or these example steps below when stopping PPI for first one week (Never ever go back to PPI class of drugs if you want to get cured of this issue):-
1) Soft diet Breakfast- e.g. Chilled/cold Milk (No Sugar) with Muesli (Oat clusters with banana, papaya, apple, and dates as some of ingredients).
2) Soft diet Lunch – BOILED Food Only (Soft diet food). NO SPICES and NO OIL AT ALL. In my case I would just cook rice with all vegetables (No Onion & No Garlic) put in it during making of it. No meat please.
3) Night food- Curd (Yogurt) + Rice OR (lightly cooked Rice + Spinach, use not more than 1 tsp oil for cooking )
4) Have only 3 meals and no other food. For snacking just use following: Raisins, Figs, cucumbers, carrots, Dates, apple juice or banana, papaya, water melon alongside for moderate ALKALINE Food only snacking (only 4-5 hours after lunch).
5) No Meat and No tea coffee and alcohol.
6) I also took 1 Triphala Capsule (Himalaya Brand) after every meal for intestinal cleanse and enhancing motility.
7) Last but not the least, use Antacids, Cold milk, Baking soda dissolved in water (Not Baking Powder) to sooth your stomach when you felt it turning acidic because of acid rebound effect of stopping PPI for first 3-4 days. Acid neutralizing is always preferred than acid suppression, which is what these PPI do. PPI also feed delayed emptying making sure that gastro paresis never goes away. No doubt that they (Doctors) call gastro paresis as progressive as the very drug they prescribe (PPI class of drugs), make sure that delayed emptying never really gets cured. Read Discussion Section here: http://gut.bmj.com/content/42/2/243.full
If you can survive on soft /grilled/steamed diet for one week not taking any medicines then you surely will get benefited if you followed steps in my blog.
** A NOTE on ACIDOSIS ***
Causes of acidosis include: disorders of the kidneys, liver and adrenal glands; emotional upset; stress; and excess niacin or aspirin or NSAID painkiller drugs. Since, the blood acidity has increased (low blood pH), we must do every possible way to cleanse/restore alkalinity of the blood naturally. We must use natural detox methods to purify Blood to speed up recovery. I have personally used raisin water, Alfalfa seed/Wheat grass juice to help restore alkalinity of blood which has helped me eat heavy meals without any problem.
An unbalanced pH leads the body to borrow the missing minerals from the body’s reserves. Such minerals are magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium which are stored and normally found in vital organs and bones. Alkaline body balance can be restored by proper diet and the aid of supplements that will encourage or replace lost minerals. Acidosis or acidity can affect a person in different ways, brittle bones, hormonal problems, osteoporosis, diabetes, obesity, yeast or fungal infections, low energy levels or sluggishness, slow digestions, joint pain and muscle pain are just some results of an imbalance. You need to drink water that is alkaline and ionized. Alkaline water helps to neutralize stored acids and toxins. Once these acids are neutralized, they can then be removed by the body. http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=224404.10;wap2
If you have used a Car with Dual fuel (Petrol & CNG) you must have noticed how it runs smoothly on petrol but when on CNG the pickup is not that smooth and you can feel that heavy load gives more issues when on CNG. . Our blood is made of what we ate in last 5-6 months. What I am saying is, that our body runs gr8 when on good blood type, but when the same blood type is intoxicated or not healthy, we start to have problem like not able to eat heavy food and slow digestion. Our treatment therefore must include blood purification as major tasks. This can be done by having good food type over next few months and by increasing alkaline reserves that are needed to neutralize acids that are produced in body.
Also Soak Black raisins (15-20) in a small glass of water and let it soak for 8-10 hours. You must drink this water every day (twice) and eat black raisins alongside will help increase weight and lower blood acidity. I have personally used raisin water, Alfalfa seed/Wheat grass juice to help restore alkalinity of blood which has helped me eat heavy meals without any problem. This must be done till you got rid of acidosis and constipation. Eating black raisins daily is very important part of this cure.
“ http://benefitsandadvantages.com/general/benefits-of-raisins.html “
“ http://www.trans4mind.com/nutrition/pH.html “
** A NOTE on TRIPHALA ***
An Herb called Triphala, help to cure Sensitive stomach and also help with gastric motility. Triphala can very well be used instead of allopathic kinetic/motility drugs. I have used triphala capsule (Himalaya) after every meal initially for 3-4 weeks and then reducing it to twice a day and finally taking a capsule only once a day at nights. Yes, these may cause constipation but benefits far outweigh this one side effect. My stomach ceased to be sensitive after 2-3 weeks of triphala use. I would say that we must continue to cure constipation separately as and when required but taking triphala for at least 4-6 weeks will bring about final cure for sure as in my case. During trihpala intake you must Drink 3-4 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) daily followed by glass of Cold/warm (Not Hot) milk before sleep to lubricate your stomach and help with constipation issues.
“ http://www.favorfinesse.com/hhtriphala.shtml “
** Note on dealing with constipation **
Slow digestion and Constipation go hand in hand. Constipation is frequent side effect during this stage so we must make conscious efforts to make a bowel movement and also cure it using natural or any other suitable method. You must Drink 2-3 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) daily, followed by glass of Cold/warm (Not Hot) milk before sleep to lubricate your stomach and help with digestion & constipation issues. I have used Cayenne Pepper Detox (Lemon Detox) mostly to deal with constipation and it works always. Just Squeeze lemon + Add Hot cayenne Pepper (Hot red chilies powder) ¾ spoon + Luke warm water in a glass, and drink this every two hours 2-3 times a day. Drink plenty of water also in between to help detoxicate well.
Here is one URL for this: “ http://www.naturalnews.com/035854_lemons_detox_recipe.html “
Or Google Search “cayenne pepper detox”
I have also used castor oil/Prunes for constipation cure.
Other method is to just gulp 4-5 cloves of freshly crushed garlic at one go.
** Note on Digestive Enzymes **
In my experience digestive enzymes (Example Digeplex T) although bring a lots of energy as they help you get all nutrients from food while digestion, they also happen to cause constipation because of slow motility as the food digested takes long to empty. Digestive enzymes supplements will reduce the need for stomach acids thereby giving chance to rest the stomach. Digestive enzymes must be assisted by motility herb like Triphala.
In my opinion, taking Digestive Enzymes just before meal followed by Triphala capsule is still a better method or line of treatment to heal stomach then going on with PPI drugs/H2 Blockers or Motility/Kinetic allopathic drugs line of treatment. To lubricate the stomach for better digestion, Have 1-2 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) followed by cold/warm (Not hot) milk every day only.
I have used digestive enzymes (e.g. Digeplex T) only for large meals (Lunch or buffet especially where fatty & fried food was involved) when needed. Since our problem is because of slowed stomach motility, I preferred to use triphala which is natural herb for Detoxication/Intestinal Cleanse and faster stomach motility.
“ http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/21/enzymes-special-report.aspx “
In short, do stomach exercise (kapalbhati, sit-up), Stay away from Fried food & Red meat, have food that is Boiled/Grilled Or lightly prepared (1-2 spoon oil, cooked less than 10 minutes and is not curried, Dried preparing), sticking to 3 meals, strictly avoiding stomach stimulant like Tea Coffee alcohol and no snacking before Lunch and breakfast, and only Dates, cucumbers, carrot, papaya, banana, water melon (moderate ALKALINE Food only snacking can be done only after 4-5 hours after lunch) as snacks and using Digestive tonic/Triphala before or after each meals and also using products that help restore alkalinity of blood (Raisins, wheat grass, Alfalfa) for 8-12 weeks, having 1-2 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) followed by cold milk, would definitely restore your stomach back. Always eat acidic food in Soft diet / Boiled/ Grilled form only. Also all snacking should be Alkaline only as you do not want to push acidic food thus promoting acid buildup during snacking.
“ http://www.organicindia.com/triphala.php ”
I have included SOFT DIET CHART at the end that I followed. I suggest you make your own food chart for all these three recovery steps.
Let us start with solution: - The solution actually lies in Diet control and behavioral/lifestyle changes. If you are on h2 blockers or PPI drugs (Razo, Nexium etc) then my suggestion is to put a stop to them after you started this remedy below:-
Follow these points strictly and completely 100%:à
1) First and foremost if you are hyper personality make sure that you slow (cool) down. Slow down in everything. E.g. eat food slowly, walk slowly, react slowly etc. You must be careful with painkiller drugs (NSAIDs) as frequent use of these will trigger acidity. Put a stop to heavy exercise, light exercise would do well.
2) Stop taking PPI/h2blockers drugs 3-4 days after you started this Natural treatment. Only anta acids like Gelucil / Digene are just sufficient to control acidic stomach. When stopping PPI/h2 blockers drugs you may have withdrawal symptom for around 2 days, but just don't worry. IDEA is to let stomach HEAL NATURALLY and not with help of drugs. Be away from NSAIDs painkillers as they are also trigger to acidity attack. In case of stomach anxieties instead of antacids you can also have Baking Soda (Eating Soda) 1-1/2 TSP dissolved in a glass of water after meal. Baking Soda and Baking powder are two different products. I preferred to use this method for relieving discomfort in stomach after meals.
3) Follow stomach exercise, this is to cure your functional dyspepsia. Your Stomach must be feeling stressed (Full/Tight) even after small meal then you definitely have functional dyspepsia. Search for "KAPALBHATI exercise on YouTube and do it for at least 200-300 times every morning EMPTY stomach (start with 100 and give 10 sec break for every 20 stomach steps). This stomach exercise will bring elasticity of your stomach back so you are not stressed when having large meals later. Those having High BP issues must do Kapalbhati stomach exercise only in moderation but several times a day. Do SIT UP Exercise also if you have a time. My dyspepsia was cured in a month after I strictly followed stomach exercises.
One link for KAPALBHATI exercise is here:
“ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_Kj6vFPd8 “
Similarly Sit up exercise:
“ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygmgGqzsSiU “
I followed kapalbhati exercise for stomach, started with 100 every morning and made it to 300 later after seeing improvements.
4) Watch out for trigger food that caused acidity. Trigger foods are the one that start onset of your hyper acidity. Whenever you felt stomach turning acidic have Coconut water/Cold Milk asap. If required have antacid liquid also. Strictly avoid Tea, Coffee & Alcohol during this time. Trust me if you followed Soft Diet/vegetarian food /cold milk (No Sugar) food/Coconut water daily habits, you will never need the tablets again. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT for YOU and YOUR STOMACH TO FORGET that pills are needed to lead a natural eating life. And for this you must be out of all kinds of drugs and that can only be done by following points listed about strictly on 100% Basis. It really is tough on us to follow this schedule but we do not have a choice. And again this is only for 4-6 weeks only. I started recovering in 30-45 days, and have now recovered completely.
5) Look for ALKALINE/ACIDIC Food chart. Idea is to switch to ALKALINE/Soft Diet Acidic food for at least 2 meals for 2-3 months. Eat lots of yogurt/curd to sooth your stomach during meals.
Here are some links;
“ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_diet “
“ http://www.wellnesspathways.com/handouts/acidalkalinefoodchart.pdf “
“ http://www.balance-ph-diet.com/acid_alkaline_food_chart.html “
“ http://www.favorfinesse.com/manjishtha.shtml “
“ http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/21/enzymes-special-report.aspx “
“ http://www.scribd.com/doc/19942555/Gastric-Emptying-Presentation “
“ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9068484 “
“ http://www.livestrong.com/article/498523-foods-preserve-alkaline-reserve/ “
“ http://members.iimetro.com.au/~hubbca/acidity.htm “
“ http://lifespa.com/2009/12/surprising-symptoms-of-poor-digestion/ “
6) Also if you have got constipation issues then you must also resolve them as they also aggravate acidity.
7) Last but not the least, as someone rightly said 'HURRY, WORRY, CURRY’ are the causes for Hyper Acidity and you must avoid them at all costs.
THE FORMULA for diet step by step:
a) ** It is strongly recommended that you stop taking PPI/H2 Blocker drugs for Hyperacidity, for this natural cure method to work. **
b) Boiled/steamed food for 1-2 weeks (all 3 meals, absolutely no acidic food snacking) or till the time you have verified that stomach is at peace without medication by following boiled food diet. Switch to ALKALINE water if available. This is resting period for stomach where boiled/steamed food which is easily digestible is used. Always eat acidic food in Soft diet / Boiled/steamed/Grilled form only. Also all snacking should be Alkaline only as you do not want to push acidic food thus promoting acid buildup during snacking.
c) Soft cooked (under 10 minutes of cooking with 1-2 spoon oil) 80%alkaline+ 20%Acidic food (regular cooked food which is not boiled and is not curried and is usually dry prepared) for LUNCH till stomach is able to accept it fully without giving anxiety. Have only 70-80% meal gradually increasing the quantity. (At least 4-6 weeks).
d) Soft cooked alkaline+ Acidic food or Cold milk+ Muesli as in step (c) above, for BREAKFAST till stomach is able to accept it fully without giving anxiety (at least 2-4 weeks)
e) Continue to have soft cooked ALKALINE/magnesium based FOOD diet (Boiled food/Rice & Curd/Spinach Rice) for DINNER for at least 2-3 months. You can keep breakfast and lunch for regular (Acidic) soft diet cooked food.
f) In case of stomach anxieties after meals either use Antacids or have Baking Soda (Eating Soda) 1-TSP dissolved in a glass of water. Baking Soda and Baking powder are two different products.
g) Also we will use NATURAL (preferably non allopathic or medicinal) digestive tonic (e.g. Drakshasav, Panchassav avoid during sensitive stomach stage)/Triphala to help improve digestion. To lubricate the stomach for better digestion, have 1-2 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) followed by cold milk every day only after you have cured sensitive stomach by taking triphala after every meal. I have also used Blood cleanse natural method products along with raisins and also products that help restore alkalinity of blood (Raisins, wheat grass, Alfalfa) therapy to speed up recovery.
By 2-3 months you would have started eating almost everything avoiding trigger food mostly.
SOFT DIET CHART (This is what I followed)
Make sure that you have stopped taking all allopathic medications for acidity. We will be on Boiled/soft diet/ softly cooked food (80% Alkaline 20% acidic) for next 2-3 month to increase alkaline reserves and enable restore digestion. Avoid temptations to have food type that is not listed in this blog during this period and most important is to have faith that you shall get cured. All the time during this diet, whenever you have a anxiety after meals you must do one or all of following:
“ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_diet “
a) Have triphala b) Have coconut water c) Baking Soda (Eating Soda) 1 TSP dissolved in a glass of water d) Have cold milk without sugars d) DO all of above to not let your stomach go acidic for that day.
WHAT NOT TO DO / AVOID
1) Do not indulge in acidic food snacking. Have only 3 meals in a day. If you want you can keep cucumbers, carrots, Dates, apple juice or banana, papaya, water melon alongside for moderate ALKALINE Food only snacking (only 4-5 hours after lunch). You should never have any other food except during 3 meals. Avoid most baked goods or anything made from FLOUR.
2) Strictly avoid Tea Coffee & Alcohol during this period. If you feel anxiety after any food have cold milk/coconut water asap. Avoid Green chilies, instead use peppercorn or cayenne pepper (red chilies powder). Strictly avoid white flour and Hot milk during this time. That means you must avoid Sugar/fried/baked (cake, pastries etc)/red meat/flour (bread/chapatti etc)/all type of processed food (chips, tomato sauce, chocolates etc) , at all costs till the stomach is ready to take them back till recovery take place.
3) Also make sure that panic attacks are controlled as they would severely damage your stomach making it acidic all times. You must never panic.
4) No meat for next 2-3 months. Strictly avoid Red meat and deep fried oily greasy food and rich curries. Lean meat like Poultry and fish can now be had only once 3-4 days after 2-3 months of avoiding it completely.
FOOD STEP’s as followed by me:-
Only Boiled food/ Soft diet (No onion No Garlic) for around 1-2 weeks or till you have verified that stomach is at peace for at least 7-10 days with no medications)
Also we can include raw onion dipped in lemon juice along with meals. Onion is alkaline forming food but may cause irritation to sensitive stomach and that is why it should be avoided if you have not cured sensitive stomach by trihphala use.
Morning after wakeup
Drink warm water added with pinch of one or all of Celtic Sea salt/Himalayan Pink salt/Black Salt/Rock Salt along with Lemon juice. Also drink raisins soaked water and eat raisins twice a day for acidosis cure. If you have functional dyspepsia (feeling of full stomach even with small meals) then you must perform Kapalbhati Stomach exercises starting with 100 (give 10 second break for every 20 kapalbhati stomach steps) and gradually increasing it to 300-400 at one go. Those with Blood Pressure (BP) issues must do this exercise moderately (around 50 at a time but repeat it 3-4 times in a day.). This exercise shall restore elasticity of your stomach back and will remove any stress caused by large meals later.
I have also used Drakshasav/Panchasav (avoid during sensitive stomach stage) digestive tonic before meals and Triphala Capsules along with these. I have also used Raisins therapy (for acidosis cure) to rekindle digestive fires along with Blood cleanse natural methods on daily basis to speed up recovery. These tablets/powder help rejuvenate the stomach functioning by taking a holistic approach to cure and I certainly have benefitted.
Poha, Upma, uthapa Or Cold milk without Sugars with Muesli (Oat clusters with banana, apple, and dates as some of ingredients). I also included a banana/dried raisins with this food.
Lunch- (20%Acidic + 80%Alkaline, but soft cooked with 1-2 spoon oil), this phase would last around 4-6 weeks and must not include meat products.
For lunch, have Rice + now you can include regular vegetable dishes which are softly cooked and is not curried (not ore than 10 minutes of preparation time). It is also okay to put spices while preparation. Please make sure that the food is prepared with fat free oil and is not strongly cooked [cooked for not more than 10 minutes and not more than 1-2 spoon oil] initially. Also the food that is prepared should not be curried and should not contain anything that is fried; also it should be dried food preparation. Also eat only 70% initially, for you want to avoid excess acid secretion as large meals mean more acid secretions which we shall avoid. Include raw onion dipped in lemon juice and cucumbers along with lunch if you like. Avoid Green chilies, instead use peppercorn or cayenne pepper (red chilies powder). IF you felt stomach anxiety after lunch, then it means the food that you ate was either strongly cooked/curried food or probably there was something that was fried. You must always have lunch that is softly cooked (dishes that are prepared in around or less than 10 minutes of cooking and around 2-3 spoon oil are mostly soft). A dish that took more time to cook is normally a strong food and our stomach will start releasing acids to digest this and hence we must avoid strongly cooked food (including curries) for at least 8-10 weeks. This you must do for at least 3-4 weeks before gradually increasing the quantity and diet that is stronger. If the dish is with curry just leave curry and pick up the morsels/contents out of it. You must avoid onion curry/or any other curry.
If you felt too much anxiety after regular food have antacids or 1-1/2 tsp baking soda (eating soda and NOT baking powder) dissolved in water after lunch. I always keep triphala handy for such situations. You can have alkaline snacks moderately as listed above like dried raisins, Figs, cucumbers, dates, banana, papaya, water melon etc if you feel hungry only after 4-5 hours, as that’s the time taken for initial digestion. Do not indulge in consistent snacking, and absolutely no snacking before lunch or breakfasts. You must rest your stomach mostly. Have coconut water also if possible.
Also Triphala capsule after every meal.
Palak Khichdi (Spinach + Rice) Or Boiled Rice (Cumin added preferably) + Curd / Yogurt. I also had Rice mixed with cooked spinach ( palak khichdi) and found it to be very soothing. Include raw onion dipped in lemon juice and cucumbers along with dinner. Also Triphala capsule after meal. To lubricate the stomach for better digestion, Have 1-2 spoon of pure Ghee (Or clarified butter) followed by cold milk every day only after you have cured sensitive stomach by taking triphala after every meal.
You must continue to stick to alkaline soft cooked dinner for next 2-3 months as we will leave breakfast and lunch only for regular food. Continue to increase alkaline reserves by having more meat free and fried food free days.
**** Similarly now you should move to Breakfast (Soft diet breakfast such as food made from rice [Poha , Upma etc]) as the regular food and then Night food (palak khichdi to start with) at end in same manner ****
Post recovery , where you shall continue to avoid /or have it in moderation Trigger food (Red meat, fried food can trigger another round of acidity/acidosis), continue to do stomach exercise (kapalbhati), and continue to drink alkaline juices/water (Coconut water/Cabbage/Spinach juice etc...) few times a week to neutralize the acids. You can turn to Non Vegetarian food only after 2-3 months starting with poultry, Sea food, and Red meat in that order. Red meat needs most time to digest and should be avoided best or had in moderation only once you have got used to other meats for few months. Alcohol should now be taken with Soda Water as carbonated water can aid digestion. Also, alcohol should preferably be taken along with lunch or dinner meals and not in isolation. I have noticed that whenever I had Fried food along with Carbonated water (or alcohol added), It never gave any digestion issues as acidity of water helps to break down the food. That is why when you eat those huge burgers along with Cola it actually supplements the digestion helping the food break down easily with each sip.
Trigger food should either be avoided (best) or only be part of your entire meals say 20-30% but not on daily basis. If you ate trigger food you must take steps to neutralize acids for next 48 hours in order to avoid onset of hyper acidity. I would take triphala (2 capsules) immediately. Poultry and Sea food cause less trouble than Red meat. As a thumb rule the trigger food (Red meat, Fried/oily food