Oct 08, 2008
October 16th is National Spinal Health Day!
Few people stop and think how important their spines are... So in honor of this day, let's take a few moments to consider some things about the spine...
First, you'll use your spine every minute of every day for your entire life. That's a lot of wear and tear! When your car wears out after a few years, you buy a new one. When your kitchen appliances stop working, you buy new ones as well. And when your carpet gets dirty and ages over time, you start comparing new swatches.
Unfortunately, you don't have the same luxuries when it comes to your spine. You only get one! There are no cosmetic surgeries to give our spines a more youthful appearance.
Another part of your body that you use almost every day of your life is your teeth. You brush your teeth daily, floss, gargle, scrape your tongue, and use whitening strips... all because you want to keep those chompers in tip top shape! And most people are smart enough to visit the dentist each year for checkups... great job!
But their sits your spine, working day-in and day-out to keep you upright, protecting your spinal cord, and giving your ribs a place to hang. It might help to consider chiropractors as spinal dentists. Not only do we help promote spinal hygiene, we also work to improve nervous system function (you only get one nervous system too!)
It's been said that if you had to wear your spine on your face, you'd take a lot better care of it! Oh how true! But instead, your spine works behind the scenes, and all too often gets neglected.
So this month, make it a point to meet a chiropractor in your area, and ask them to give you a pain-free spinal check up!
14 Warnings Signs of an Unhealthy Spine
1. You have to "crack" your neck and joints often.
2. The heels on your shoes wear out unevenly.
3. You have poor concentration.
4. You feel tired and fatigued all the time.
5. You have a low resistance to disease.
6. One leg appears shorter than the other.
7. You have poor posture.
8. You get frequent headaches, backaches, sore spots and tender points in your muscles.
9. You always feel stressed and tense.
10. You have stiffness in your neck and back.
11. You can’t turn your head or twist your hips equally to both sides.
12. You have poor general health and often times just don’t feel right.
13. Your jaw clicks.
14. You can’t take a full deep breath.